My Thoughts On Chad Pennington

Smizzy

Chad Pennington is a good quarterback. If he can play with the lead and dink and dunk his way down the field he will pick you apart 8/10 times. That man is a leader and he is a very accurate qb.

The problem is he is useless without a lead or having to come from behind. The man does not have the arm strength to throw the ball down the field. Any DB worth his a NFL contract has plenty of time to knock down or intercept a chad Pennington pass over 25-30 yards. The man throws lame ducks. He does not have the ability to bring the Jets back from down 17 with his arm. That says a lot for a such a smart QB. If this kid had Carson Palmer's or Jay Cutler's arm....He would be top 5 QB in the league stats wise. But his arm just doest cut it. He runs this offense well. You are silly if you think he doesn't limit our offensive play calling or hinder our offense in any way.

The man got hurt and came back. I give him all the credit in the world for showing he is a warrior and capable of coming back. However his play on the field has shown me he is a guy who limits an offense and handcuffs offensive coordinators.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chad Pennington is a good quarterback. If he can play with the lead and dink and dunk his way down the field he will pick you apart 8/10 times. That man is a leader and he is a very accurate qb.

The problem is he is useless without a lead or having to come from behind. The man does not have the arm strength to throw the ball down the field. Any DB worth his a NFL contract has plenty of time to knock down or intercept a chad Pennington pass over 25-30 yards. The man throws lame ducks. He does not have the ability to bring the Jets back from down 17 with his arm. That says a lot for a such a smart QB. If this kid had Carson Palmer's or Jay Cutler's arm....He would be top 5 QB in the league stats wise. But his arm just doest cut it. He runs this offense well. You are silly if you think he doesn't limit our offensive play calling or hinder our offense in any way.

The man got hurt and came back. I give him all the credit in the world for showing he is a warrior and capable of coming back. However his play on the field has shown me he is a guy who limits an offense and handcuffs offensive coordinators.

Thats a fair evaluation.

I agree completely.

17 points may have given him a little too much credit, though. We have won exactly ONE game over the past three seasons when trailing by at least 8 points. EIGHT. Really hard to believe, yet at the same time, makes complete sense.

Then we're going to need to draft or sign someone that can be a legitimate top QB in this league. Clemens can't even unseat Patrick Ramsey, I don't know how anyone can have faith in the guy.

I wouldn't say that's 100% accurate.

Clemens got more snaps than Ramsey did this year. You can't expect Mangini to put in a rookie QB in a playoff game.

Smizzy I forgot to tape Palmer and Cutler's play-off game last w/end.....please advise if you have a copy.

We all know Chad's strengths and weaknesses but I guess until every board member starts a thread on them we will continue to discuss.

8 play-off QB's took the field last w/end....... Only Brady and Peyton played better then our guy so I am sure that sure fire QB upgrade many want is staring us in the face.

Everybody has a point with the come from behind thing. My question is this: Is Chad's problem playing good defenses or coming from behind? When the Jets were down in the wildcard game - even after the lateral - he made some of his best throws. There were a couple of nice ones to Baker, but once the Pats scored again and time was getting shorter he folded and threw the pick.

Against the Raiders who supposedly have a top 3 defense, he performed adequately. Not great, but there was nothing wrong with his game. His problems seem like they might stem even more from being afraid he doesn't have enough time to win than the caliber of the defense.

Then again, we were still in the game against the Bears when he made his blunders and the Jacksonville game was a cluster**** pretty much from the start. Maybe he's just been wildly inconsistent and good defenses will capitalize on that.

I like Pennington and think we can win with him, but we should try to upgrade if we can. Not sure Clemens is the answer, but let's see how he looks in camp.

PS: Peyton did not play better than our guy last week. Which line would you take:

30/38 1td 3 ints or 23/40 1td 1int?

I posted this the other day. The Jets need: a new RB, RT, DT, CB, linebacker help, safety, TE and overall depth.

When you guys have all that figured out wake me up. Until that time Pennington isn't remotely close to being the problem.

It's like the guys that were bashing Curtis in his 1,700 yard season. He was far from the problem.

I think alot of it has to with Brady.

Jet fans want the next guy to step up and be Brady. We thought we had it with Pennington in 02 but it turned out he is not.

Pennington is good. He isn't Brady. Then again though who is ?

Carson Palmer : Has talent around him, Can make all the throws but he went 8-8.

Manning: The Dan Marino of this era. He can't beat Brady in a big spot.

Roethlisberger: Super Bowl winner. Lost to Brady at home with a 15-1 team.

Bad season this year.

The one guy that beat Brady in the post season everyone here thinks sucks (Plummer).

The two guys who have rings that aren't named Brady are Brad Johnson and Ben Roethlisberger.

The point I'm making is that you have to be a better OVERALL team if you are going to be the Pats. Chad isn't going to beat him by himself. Manning hasn't done it, McNair hasn't been able to do it, McNabb, Roethlisberger, Gannon. All are pretty damn good QB's.

The Jets aren't there yet. Give them another year or two with Mangini and I have no doubt they will.

Smizzy....well put, and exactly my points yesterday. And if I can add to your comments, if he makes mistakes (INTs) then in effect the Jets have absolutely ZERO chance on pulling out a game especially in the playoffs.

I agree with your comments, now the question still remains from yesterdays posts, what do the Jets do in 2007...do they stand pat or do we change the QB??????? That is going to be a tough pill for many to swallow it seems, but not me. I think we need a new QB, with Penny on the sidelines as a help to the No. 1 QB. Or maybe, Chad needs to develop arm strength during the off season....do I hear steriods?

Clemens has unseated Ramsey as the No.2 but when Pennington went down both times you're not going to bring a rookie into the middle of a playoff chase (Houston game) or the middle of a playoff game (Sunday). The key is to have a 110% fair QB competition next training camp / Preseason and if Kellen Clemens can not beat out Chad Pennington then we need to find somebody who can.

Clemens has unseated Ramsey as the No.2 but when Pennington went down both times you're not going to bring a rookie into the middle of a playoff chase (Houston game) or the middle of a playoff game (Sunday). The key is to have a 110% fair QB competition next training camp / Preseason and if Kellen Clemens can not beat out Chad Pennington then we need to find somebody who can.

I don't agree that Clemens unseated Ramsey as #2 if they aren't going to use him in a playoff game. Isn't the whole purpose of this open competition BS is that the best player gets the spot? As of the Texans game Ramsey was still #2. Down the stretch Ramsey moved to #2 presumably because they'd rather give him some reps in a blowout. The #3 is inactive and IIRC if he goes in you cannot use the other 2 again. Therefore, Ramsey was probably #2 this week. If we find out in the preseason that Clemens can't beat out Chad Pennington they aren't finding anybody that can until 2008 the earliest. So please prepare for the possiblity now.

Everybody has a point with the come from behind thing. My question is this: Is Chad's problem playing good defenses or coming from behind? When the Jets were down in the wildcard game - even after the lateral - he made some of his best throws. There were a couple of nice ones to Baker, but once the Pats scored again and time was getting shorter he folded and threw the pick.

Against the Raiders who supposedly have a top 3 defense, he performed adequately. Not great, but there was nothing wrong with his game. His problems seem like they might stem even more from being afraid he doesn't have enough time to win than the caliber of the defense.

Then again, we were still in the game against the Bears when he made his blunders and the Jacksonville game was a cluster**** pretty much from the start. Maybe he's just been wildly inconsistent and good defenses will capitalize on that.

I like Pennington and think we can win with him, but we should try to upgrade if we can. Not sure Clemens is the answer, but let's see how he looks in camp.

PS: Peyton did not play better than our guy last week. Which line would you take:

30/38 1td 3 ints or 23/40 1td 1int?

Jets continue to have an undersized offensive line. They can't compete with the teams who overpower them at the line of scrimmage... see Bills 31-0 blowout, Jaguars 41-0 blowout and a healthy NE D-Line and a 37 - 16 blowout. When the Jets beat the Bills and Patriots, both teams lost D-Linemen to injuries, when they got blown out the lines were back to healthy. The NE win in November is typical. Ty Warren was injured the previous week and was out for that game, Richard Seymour was a gametime decision (injured elbow) Seymour was a shadow of himself taking over Ty Warrens spot and was invisible because of his elbow injury. Look what happened when they were healthy last Sunday.

If Trent Dilfer can win a Super Bowl and Mark Rypkin can win a Super Bowl, Chad Pennington can win a Super Bowl. The Jets story hasn't changed in six years, No Pennington, no playoffs.. regardless of the supporting coaching staff or surrounding players.

Jets are average to below average on both the offensive and defensive lines..

. We have won exactly ONE game over the past three seasons when trailing by at least 8 points. EIGHT. .

is that a fact? wow! well,there you have it,man,that tells the tale right there.

granted,chad missed all of one season and was hurt most of another,but still

Great QB's come from behind!!That is the #1 trait of all great QB's if you ask me.Can they come from behind?He just can't.

The key is to have a 110% fair QB competition next training camp / Preseason and if Kellen Clemens can not beat out Chad Pennington then we need to find somebody who can.

I agree.

And as long as the defense gives up 30 points in a playoff game, I dont expect to win too many of them.

I posted this the other day. The Jets need: a new RB, RT, DT, CB, linebacker help, safety, TE and overall depth.

When you guys have all that figured out wake me up. Until that time Pennington isn't remotely close to being the problem.

It's like the guys that were bashing Curtis in his 1,700 yard season. He was far from the problem.

good post MAX

I agree.

Everyone wants to kill Chad - but the fact remains that even the critics must admit he is still atleast the 3rd or 4th best player on this team. This team has so many wholes it is not even funny. We need to address those before we address QB. I'm all for signing a vet or drafting one and having open competition. I just do not want nor think this should be a high offseason priority.

I should've read this entire thread before posting because I basically repeated exactly what you said here.lol

I guess I'm not the only one thinking it.

I absolutely agree! IMO it is about time we really look to upgrade the position. EVERYTHING must be nearly perfect for CHAD to beat the teams with great defenses. YAC have to be a priority and against top teams, it will be very hard to accomplish. Thus we will be relegated to one and done or two and through!

I absolutely agree! IMO it is about time we really look to upgrade the position. EVERYTHING must be nearly perfect for CHAD to beat the teams with great defenses. YAC have to be a priority and against top teams, it will be very hard to accomplish. Thus we will be relegated to one and done or two and through!

with who?

with who?

as stated: We must begin to upgrade the position. Maybe KELLEN CLEMENS is the guy. We won't know UNTIL he gets a real shot to play against front line competition. To keep him hiding on the bench as DUH HERM did with CHAD, simply will not work. Lets get the kid some touches! I see so many guys loyal to CHAD. IMO loyalty to the team is more important. The object is to win a SB and I simply do not believe that CHAD will get us to a SB. For that to happen, everything will have to be perfect. He can not put a team on his shoulders and carry it. He gets paid to be a great QB. 17 TDs and 16 INTS does not relate to a GREAT job of QBing! It is middle of the pack and that will not win a SB. IMO we should commence loking for a replacement. If it means playing CLEMENS in preseason more then CHAD, so be it! The job must be won on the field and not handed to CHAD because he is a vet ala HERM.

as stated: We must begin to upgrade the position. Maybe KELLEN CLEMENS is the guy. We won't know UNTIL he gets a real shot to play against front line competition. To keep him hiding on the bench as DUH HERM did with CHAD, simply will not work. Lets get the kid some touches! I see so many guys loyal to CHAD. IMO loyalty to the team is more important. The object is to win a SB and I simply do not believe that CHAD will get us to a SB. For that to happen, everything will have to be perfect. He can not put a team on his shoulders and carry it. He gets paid to be a great QB. 17 TDs and 16 INTS does not relate to a GREAT job of QBing! It is middle of the pack and that will not win a SB. IMO we should commence loking for a replacement. If it means playing CLEMENS in preseason more then CHAD, so be it! The job must be won on the field and not handed to CHAD because he is a vet ala HERM.

How's it going KJ,long time.

A couple things in response:

Chad did take a pay cut,so he's getting paid to be a "good" QB.lol

He DID go 10-6 with NO running game and a swiss cheese defense.Him,Coles and Mayor Cotch were our only offese.

BUT

with that being said,I repeat,open competition in TC.period.I'll trust the experts to decide.I don't feel Mangini has any loyalty to Chad,he simply beat out the other three last year.Again,we have much bigger problems than QB.

If we start next year with Chad,a nice RB to mix with Leon,a nice blocking FB,an upgrade OL on the right and a defense that can stuff the run.I like our chances.

If we start with Clemens looking like dan marino,Kevan Barlow,Moore,Askew and the 25th defense in the league,we're done.

fair enough but I'll say this KJ-98% of us ARE Jets fans first not players fans-we ALL want what and WHO is best for the team.Me? I hope it will be Clemens but I fear he might be too small in stature to be THE guy-again, I hope I'm wrong

I see so many guys loyal to CHAD. IMO loyalty to the team is more important. The object is to win a SB and I simply do not believe that CHAD will get us to a SB.

I think Chad is the best thing for the JETS right now, thats not being loyal to Chad, its wanting whats best for the team.

AS I always say, find me an upgrade and we can talk...

We cant just bench one fo the best players on our team, not to mention the leader of the team and face of the franchise... withouthaving a surefire UPGRADE at the position...

We all know Chad's strengths and weaknesses but I guess until every board member starts a thread on them we will continue to discuss.

This is comical. Yet you felt obligated to give me your opinion on Chad....yet once again.

8 play-off QB's took the field last w/end....... Only Brady and Peyton played better then our guy so I am sure that sure fire QB upgrade many want is staring us in the face.

4 teams won last weekeend. ALL 4 of those QB's did better than Pennington.

How's it going KJ,long time.

A couple things in response:

Chad did take a pay cut,so he's getting paid to be a "good" QB.lol

He DID go 10-6 with NO running game and a swiss cheese defense.Him,Coles and Mayor Cotch were our only offese.

BUT

with that being said,I repeat,open competition in TC.period.I'll trust the experts to decide.I don't feel Mangini has any loyalty to Chad,he simply beat out the other three last year.Again,we have much bigger problems than QB.

If we start next year with Chad,a nice RB to mix with Leon,a nice blocking FB,an upgrade OL on the right and a defense that can stuff the run.I like our chances.

If we start with Clemens looking like dan marino,Kevan Barlow,Moore,Askew and the 25th defense in the league,we're done.

Chad has taken no pay cut.

His contract was reworked so that $6M or so of guaranteed salary was instead in LTBE incentives (namely, starting 11 games). He got every penny (PENNY! :)) of it. It was like $1M base salary, $6M LTBE incentives, and $3M roster bonus paid in March = $10M for the 2006 season. This doesn't count ANY of the $18M signing bonus or the $2M roster bonus that's due to him in March of this year.

There will be competition because I think while Mangini wants to win now & not push everything off to some distant time, he also realizes that Chad's 2008 contract/cap number are totally out of whack with the on-field production. And the only way to reduce that number is to give him even MORE guaranteed money up-front. We did this with Martin, Vinny, etc. It's a bad idea. Basically, Chad has the 2007 season. If he's not OUTSTANDING on a 2002-year level, he simply isn't worth the cap space.

Chad has taken no pay cut.

His contract was reworked so that $6M or so of guaranteed salary was instead in LTBE incentives (namely, starting 11 games). He got every penny (PENNY! :)) of it. It was like $1M base salary, $6M LTBE incentives, and $3M roster bonus paid in March = $10M for the 2006 season. This doesn't count ANY of the $18M signing bonus or the $2M roster bonus that's due to him in March of this year.

There will be competition because I think while Mangini wants to win now & not push everything off to some distant time, he also realizes that Chad's 2008 contract/cap number are totally out of whack with the on-field production. And the only way to reduce that number is to give him even MORE guaranteed money up-front. We did this with Martin, Vinny, etc. It's a bad idea. Basically, Chad has the 2007 season. If he's not OUTSTANDING on a 2002-year level, he simply isn't worth the cap space.

I never did totally understand the salary cap.I know Chad earned his money back in incentives,but I didn't think that counted against the cap.Then again,I'm clueless when it comes to that.I think my point remains in tact,but thanks for the info.

If Trent Dilfer can win a Super Bowl and Mark Rypkin can win a Super Bowl, Chad Pennington can win a Super Bowl. The Jets story hasn't changed in six years, No Pennington, no playoffs.. regardless of the supporting coaching staff or surrounding players.

Trent Dilfer, Trent Dilfer. Everybody loves to talk bout Trent Dilfer.

Trent Dilfer did not win a superbowl! One of the best defenses in the NFL won the superbowl. They gave up 23 points in four games!! How many teams have ever had a defense as good Baltimore?

Look at Dilfers number during the Superbowl run.

Year........Opp........Result.......CMP.......ATT.......PYD.......PTD.......INT.......Avg

2000 .......Den .......W 21-3........ 9.......... 14 .......130 .........1.......... 0....... 14.44

2000 .......Ten........ W24-10....... 5.......... 16....... 117........ .0.......... 0....... 23.40

2000 .......Oak ........W16-3 ........9 ..........18....... 190......... 1 ..........1....... 21.11

2000 .......NYG....... W34-7....... 12......... 25....... 153......... 1........... 0 ......12.75

Total ........................................35......... 73....... 590......... 3 ...........1

He averaged 9 completions per game. You could have had a manequin back there at qb and still won with that D. The only thing he could do well was throw the ball down the field, as evidenced by his average per completion, which Penny cant do. Great lets get a D like that and then Penny can start. The only problem is he might be 45 before we build a D like that.

He averaged 9 completions per game. You could have had a manequin back there at qb and still won with that D. The only thing he could do well was throw the ball down the field, as evidenced by his average per completion, which Penny cant do. Great lets get a D like that and then Penny can start. The only problem is he might be 45 before we build a D like that.

Chad > Big Ben

and the steelers D got the job done, I think we can match last years steelers D with some holes filled this offseason...

Chad > Big Ben

and the steelers D got the job done, I think we can match last years steelers D with some holes filled this offseason...

Chad and Ben are close,but again Ben can make thedownfield throw that he cant. We do have a better chance of matching the steelers D than Balts. That being said it will take us a few years of good drafts and a few signings to match the steelers D and Chad will be what 33-35 by then.

Chad > Big Ben

you got a point there.Chad can definitely win a super bowl.It's crazy to say he can't.

chad last year-

comp-313att-485yards-3352%-64.5TD-17INT-16rating-82.6

ben last year-

comp-280att-469yards-3513%-59.7TD-18INT-23rating-75.4

you got a point there.Chad can definitely win a super bowl.It's crazy to say he can't.

chad last year-

comp-313att-485yards-3352%-64.5TD-17INT-16rating-82.6

ben last year-

comp-280att-469yards-3513%-59.7TD-18INT-23rating-75.4

Sure he can win a SB. He just needs an outstanding D and running game to do it. The Steelers went into Cincy and held them to 17, went into Indy and held them to 18, Went into Denver and held them to 17, and the held Seattle to 10 in the big game. Those are very good offenses that they held to 18 points or less all on the road.

I never did totally understand the salary cap.I know Chad earned his money back in incentives,but I didn't think that counted against the cap.Then again,I'm clueless when it comes to that.I think my point remains in tact,but thanks for the info.

LTBE incentives stands for likely to be earned incentives (I'm not talking down to you; this is in case you or others didn't know).

If incentives are LTBE they don't come "off" the cap at the start of the season, but the cap room for these incentives must be left there in the "likely" case that he reaches them.

So Chad had $6M in LTBE incentives. That means that the Jets had to keep their cap under $96M instead of $102M.

There are also UNLIKELY to be earned incentives as well. Let's say Tomlinson got a $10M bonus for 30 TD's in a season. Now THAT is pretty unlikely. But he DID it. So what happens? It comes off next year's cap.

Now what about LTBE incentives that aren't reached? The team gets a credit for next season. Basically it's looked at as the team was unnecessarily penalized with their cap the prior season. So if Chad didn't start 11 games or whatever it was, then we would've had an additional $6M on next year's cap.

Archived