with $28,000,000.00 to spend

jets rooter

how many star players can the jets sign as free agents?or will tanny continue to tighten the purse strings and concentrate on the draft to build for the future.looking at the jets schedule this year.realisticly,I think that the jets will take a step back and will not have a chance to win their division.I myself feel that they should build with the draft to build for the future.

how many star players can the jets sign as free agents?or will tanny continue to tighten the purse strings and concentrate on the draft to build for the future.looking at the jets schedule this year.realisticly,I think that the jets will take a step back and will not have a chance to win their division.I myself feel that they should build with the draft to build for the future.

With the cap going up over 25 million in the last two years, teams have been given a tylenol to cure their cap ills.

Look at your Jets as an example. Instead of having to gut the entire team to get back under, they managed to piece together a decent roster as the cap went from 84.5 million to 102 million last year. This year it is up to 109.

The only negative is there is alot of teams with alot of room to sign these 'free' agents. Teams can retain their own, if possible or they hit the market and it is a players market.

I think we will get One star, and probably two very good players, and then some back-ups. Cb star, lb and o line very good, and d line and qb back-ups.

Coach that is wishful thinking.

Around 20 teams have anywhere from 20 million to 70 million (Cardinals) to spend. One star will break the bank. Two very good players are going to get very good money due to the availability of money.

I think this year and to extent last year, is trying to maintain your players and hope you hit the draft picks.

With the cap going up over 25 million in the last two years, teams have been given a tylenol to cure their cap ills.

Look at your Jets as an example. Instead of having to gut the entire team to get back under, they managed to piece together a decent roster as the cap went from 84.5 million to 102 million last year. This year it is up to 109.

The only negative is there is alot of teams with alot of room to sign these 'free' agents. Teams can retain their own, if possible or they hit the market and it is a players market.

It went up from $94M to $102M, not $84M to $102M. Everyone got extra cap room before the 2006 season also.

This is the year that players agents are seeing dollar signs scrolling before their eyes. All of that extra cash money!! It is going to be a gold rush out there and consequently value is going to be hard to find. A better investment for the Jets is to rework contracts for our own younger players like Cotchery and Hobson and be very frugal on the FA market. If there is an opportunity like a Mawae type deal for example then go for it but no more Ty Laws. We are not one piece of the puzzle away.

This is the year that players agents are seeing dollar signs scrolling before their eyes. All of that extra cash money!! It is going to be a gold rush out there and consequently value is going to be hard to find. A better investment for the Jets is to rework contracts for our own younger players like Cotchery and Hobson and be very frugal on the FA market. If there is an opportunity like a Mawae type deal for example then go for it but no more Ty Laws. We are not one piece of the puzzle away.

brother you are right on the money.I couldn't have said it better.

Remember also that betweem Barrett, Barlow, Ramsey, JMac, and about 3 or 4 other guys who may be let go this off season, we may pick up anohter 5-7 mi in cap space.

I don't believe those cuts will save cap space. They'd have to sign another vet QB if they cut Ramsey. Good or bad, vet qbs aren't cheap. If they cut Barrett we are still looking at the same revolving door for nickel as this year and that's assuming they sign one of the big 2. Not a given considering the fact that it's a player's market. I'm betting at least 2 out of those 4 stick.

When it comes to cap genius there isn't a GM I wouold take of Mr Tannenbaum , the guys a genius , we kept Abraham way past when we should have let him go , and got some games out of him and got the better end of the stick for him.

As said before bothe him and Mangini have managed to conjur something up from nothing this year , so with a bit of cap room too....god only knows what things will be like.

As for big names , they don't mean anything , they will earn their srtipes in training camp, Expect Penny and Co to all fight for their starting roles again , I expect Coles to be gone though.

When it comes to cap genius there isn't a GM I wouold take of Mr Tannenbaum , the guys a genius , we kept Abraham way past when we should have let him go , and got some games out of him and got the better end of the stick for him.

As said before bothe him and Mangini have managed to conjur something up from nothing this year , so with a bit of cap room too....god only knows what things will be like.

As for big names , they don't mean anything , they will earn their srtipes in training camp, Expect Penny and Co to all fight for their starting roles again , I expect Coles to be gone though.

That may be, but I'm not in love with the vets that they brought in. Kimo, Ramsey, Barlow, Chatham, Kassell and Teague? They got a lot more out of crappy waiver wire pickups like Sean Ryan and Poteat. I guess they got a lot out of Clement, but I'm not exactly in love with that signing either. I don't see any way in hell Coles leaves.

Why would Coles be gone? His cap number isn't stupid. He has great chemistry with Pennington, he plays hurt,doesn't take plays off and he's tough as nails. Sometimes he's a bit of a big mouth, but given what the WR position is in the NFL, he's not close to a problem child. And given he takes a hit every catch on Pennington's airballs with no complaint, I'm really at a loss why he gets a bad rap by some posters. Cotchery and Coles is a solid tandem; don't mess with what works.Th reason his YAC numbers aren't great is because of the QB, not him. It's not his fault Pennington cannot gun it to him in stride.

Remember also that betweem Barrett, Barlow, Ramsey, JMac, and about 3 or 4 other guys who may be let go this off season, we may pick up anohter 5-7 mi in cap space.

They will save an estimated 3 mil. I just read that somewhere and I wish I could remember. I just hope ERIC does NOT read some of the fans on these boards. LOL If he did he wouldn't spend a dime just to keep us in CAP heaven! IMo if we spend money wisely, it wil pay huge dividends! SPEND IT. Why else do we have it?

I don't believe those cuts will save cap space. They'd have to sign another vet QB if they cut Ramsey. Good or bad, vet qbs aren't cheap. If they cut Barrett we are still looking at the same revolving door for nickel as this year and that's assuming they sign one of the big 2. Not a given considering the fact that it's a player's market. I'm betting at least 2 out of those 4 stick.

Barrett is due over 3 mil in base salry next season. Either he takes a cut or hes cut...wither way we save cap space. Not to mention I am perfectly comfprtable with POteat or Miller i at the nckel IF we can sign a CB.

Barlow is scheduled to make over a mil next year and we are not responsible for any siogning bonus on him. Blaylock is anohter mil saved minimum.

I'd actually keep Ramsey but if we cut him there is no way we spend 1.25 on a 3rd string QB.

JMac will probably be traded on draft day...that will be more money saved.

Barrett is due over 3 mil in base salry next season. Either he takes a cut or hes cut...wither way we save cap space. Not to mention I am perfectly comfprtable with POteat or Miller i at the nckel IF we can sign a CB.

Barlow is scheduled to make over a mil next year and we are not responsible for any siogning bonus on him. Blaylock is anohter mil saved minimum.

I'd actually keep Ramsey but if we cut him there is no way we spend 1.25 on a 3rd string QB.

JMac will probably be traded on draft day...that will be more money saved.

Barrett is getting cut. No one would trade for him that I can think of with a salary approaching $4M for a #2-#3 CB. Low signing bonus (low cap hit to trade/release) + high salary + not starting = bye-bye.

Barlow is scheduled to make $3.5M. All of it is salary & therefore all of it goes against the cap. There are no cap repricussions for cutting him since we didn't give him a SB.

Blaylock actually COSTS $500K to cut before June 1st. If cut after June 1st, then we save $500K or so in '07 but it's $1.25M dead cap space in '08. Unavoidable - we gave him a $2.5M SB & he's only been here 2 years. $1.25M of that's come off the cap; $1.25M still must come off. We'd save on his $700K salary but there's no way around the amortized SB.

Ramsey doesn't matter to me. We'd save like a million give-or-take by cutting him, but it only really makes sense if we draft one on day 2 this year. A trade-off of him for another low-upside, #3-type doesn't excite me since Ramsey at least knows the playbook already.

JMac could save a little this year or next, but not both. Since his SB was significant ($7M) and he's only been here since '04, there's still $4M that needs to come off the cap. His normal cap # would be his $3M salary plus $1M of amortized SB, or $4M. In other words, if we cut him before June 1st, I don't think we save anything in '07 (but avoid his $4M cap # to keep or $3M cap # to cut in '08). After June 1st of this year, we'd save $2M on the '07 cap, but take a $2M hit in '08.

I'm pretty sure about most of this, but not 100%.

Why would Coles be gone? His cap number isn't stupid. He has great chemistry with Pennington, he plays hurt,doesn't take plays off and he's tough as nails. Sometimes he's a bit of a big mouth, but given what the WR position is in the NFL, he's not close to a problem child. And given he takes a hit every catch on Pennington's airballs with no complaint, I'm really at a loss why he gets a bad rap by some posters. Cotchery and Coles is a solid tandem; don't mess with what works.Th reason his YAC numbers aren't great is because of the QB, not him. It's not his fault Pennington cannot gun it to him in stride.

Everything you've said is true and especially LC getting beat up because he can't get enough seperation from heavy traffic.

LC has also stipulated that he would not want to go through such a rigerous training camp.

I don't want him to go anywhere but can understand his points.

It went up from $94M to $102M, not $84M to $102M. Everyone got extra cap room before the 2006 season also.

Sperm...It went up 17 million from 2005 to 2006. It was supposed to go about about 8-10 to 92-94, but then the CBA was hammered out and it went up the additional amount to the final 102.

My point is that alot of teams have money.

Cap money available

1. San Francisco $42.1M

2. Buffalo $39.7M

3. Arizona $36.7M

4. Tennessee $36M

5. Cleveland $33.3M

6. Minnesota $32.4M

7. (tie)Jacksonville $32M

7. St. Louis $32M

9. New England $30.4M

10. Cincinnati $30.2M

11. New Orleans $29.9M

12. Green Bay $29.5M

13. New York Jets $26.1M

14. San Diego $24.6M

15. Tampa Bay $24.2M

16. Detroit $23.8M

17. Chicago $23.4M

18. Seattle $22.5M

19. Dallas $21.5M

20. Miami $17.8M

21. New York Giants $15.7M

22. Oakland $14.1M

23. Houston $13.3M

24. Atlanta $10M

25. Philadelphia $12.4M

25 of 32 teams have at least 10 million to spend. Granted, some of this will be used to resign or extend players under contract, but a good amount of this will be spent on FAs that hit the market. For the Patriots, who have 3 FAs they want to keep, most likely two of them will be FAs and get a nice pay day.

The Jets NEVER sign big Free Agents...

Why would they change their philosophy?

Excellent observation...very acurate. Because Ronnie Lott, Leonard Marshall, Jumbo Elliott, Neil O'Donnell, Kevin Mawae, Curtis Martin, Steve Atw*ter, Eric Green, Bryan Cox, Sam Cowart, Dave Szott, Donnie Abraham, Ty Law, Pete Kendall, and almost nabbing Antine Winfield certainly wouldn't constitute "big" Free Agents.

You're a moron.

teams are always looking for qbs.I am sure that the jets will get a draft choice for ramsey.

he cost us a sixth-I agree with Sperm Edwards on this keep him he already knows the playbook-and what does it say about Kellen Clemens if we DO draft another quarterback?....

he cost us a sixth-I agree with Sperm Edwards on this keep him he already knows the playbook-and what does it say about Kellen Clemens if we DO draft another quarterback?....

Actually, keeping Ramsey is more of a "what does it say about Kellen Clemens" than drafting one in the 6th-7th round. If we keep Ramsey, then that means Mangini does think there's a good chance he could be the #2 guy over Clemens. If we go with Chad, Clemens, and some late-round draftee then it says that (in their eyes) Clemens is ready to give Chad a serious challenge for the starting job.

Actually, keeping Ramsey is more of a "what does it say about Kellen Clemens" than drafting one in the 6th-7th round. If we keep Ramsey, then that means Mangini does think there's a good chance he could be the #2 guy over Clemens. If we go with Chad, Clemens, and some late-round draftee then it says that (in their eyes) Clemens is ready to give Chad a serious challenge for the starting job.

I gotta tell ya I have serious doubts about Clemens-and you guys know me NOT to be one of those guys with "an agenda" when it comes to players-if they perform I like them if they don't or are always sitting out hurt(Abraham,Moss) I don't like them.

The problem I see with KC is his lack of size-the guy is (I'm afraid) too short to BE a starter in this league-I hope I'm wrong

it might SAY he's 6'2" but he ain't that tall bro

He's taller than Drew Brees and Michael Vick and is within an inch of Brett Favre, Steve McNair, Tony Romo, Donovan McNabb, Jeff Garcia, and Mark Brunell; pro bowlers one and all (not to mention 4x league MVP winners in Favre & McNair plus Brees would've won it but for Tomlinson's season for the ages).

Now Clemens may very much turn into a total bust of a pick who sucks giant cowballs; but if he does, it won't be because of his height.

Now Clemens may very much turn into a total bust of a pick who sucks giant cowballs; but if he does, it won't be because of his height.

If Clemens is a bust do you think his penchant for cow balls would be the cause? Are there farms near Florham Park? Maybe he will get better once they move camp. Not too many farms on Long Island as far as I can tell.

Read the forum rules. Correcting Sperm Edwards gets you a 30-day ban (even if you're 100% right). Consider this your only warning.

Damn I was so happy when I saw that somebody owned you. Then I realized it was PF and he is the only one I root for less than you.

I am so conflicted right now. Feels like prom night all over again.

Damn I was so happy when I saw that somebody owned you. Then I realized it was PF and he is the only one I root for less than you.

I am so conflicted right now. Feels like prom night all over again.

You were only conflicted then because on prom night you wanted to get lucky. Then you realized your mom was your date, seeing as she was the only one who would dance all night with a pimple-faced butterball. I'm just saying.

Archived