The 2007 Running Back Situation

nj meadowlands

The past few Super Bowl winners have proven that running back by commitee is the wave of the present and the future in the NFL. I read an article not too long ago that says that Mangini and Tannenbaum believe this to be the case and will pursue our RB options in the offseason with this in mind.

There are several avenues the Jets could explore in solving their running back situation, which was clearly paltry at best last season. First of all, the Jets need to improve the right side of that offensive line, specifically with a bulldozer of a RG and a more mobile RT. The Jets could look at G Derrick Dockery (Washington) as a guard option who is huge (6-6, 335), young (26 years old), and experienced (64 G, 61 GS in 4 year career). The Jets could seek to fill these positional needs in the draft (2nd/3rd round or later if RT), but if they choose to operate through free agency, there are also a lot of good tackles available (Leonard Davis of Arizona, Max Starks of Pittsburgh).

Now, assuming Mangini and co. shore up the OL (which, knowing them, they most assuredly will), that brings us to the RB solution itself. The first option, and probably the most disagreeable to everyone here, is to stick with the guys that we have. Leon Washington, who will definitely be rostered anyway, can be a great outside runner/3rd down back. If the Jets choose to go this way, they will be depending on former 1000 yard rusher Kevan Barlow's recovering from a nagging leg injury and young Cedric Houston's ability to stay on the field.

Second, the Jets could pursue several FA running backs. Jamal Lewis will be hitting the market, but he seems to be a poor option based on the number of carries it takes to get him going, which would certainly phase out Leon Washington. In my estimation, if the Jets could attain a FA RB for the appropriate value, these are the top 3 options.

(1) Michael Turner, SD - LT's backup seems to have all the size and tools (5-10, 237, 6.0 ypc career) to emerge as an excellent running back. The question is how much it will take to pry the RFA away from the Bolts. If the Jets can get Turner for their second 2nd rounder or a 3rd rounder, they should pull the trigger.

(2) Correll Buckhalter, UFA, PHI - Buckhalter was healthy in 2006 for the first time in 3 seasons, and has posted a 4.4 YPC average in his 6 year career. Buckhalter has bulked up considerably over the years and can run inside and outside. He also receives very well out of the backfield and has great instincts. Could be worth a waiver if the Jets can get him for 2.5-3 mil/year.

(3) Ahman Green, UFA, GB - A year ago I never thought I'd imagine myself suggesting Ahman Green as a possibility for the Jets. He suffered a terrible knee injury, and at his age (30 in 2 weeks), it was remarkable that he was able to recover and post nearly 1100 yards this year. Green still has a lot of burst (70 yard long) and is notorious for his bruising style between the tackles. Could compliment Leon Washingon very well, if at 3-4 million a year (Barlow's due salary).

If the 2007 FA Running Back class, which includes others like Chris Brown, Marcel Shipp, and Najeh Davenport, doesn't enthrall you whatsoever, you're not alone. There is also one final possibility- that of a trade. Last year, it was widely rumored that the Jets made a draft day run at Julius Jones of the Cowboys. With the emergence of Marion Barber III in Dallas in 2006, Jones figures to be on the block again this spring. In 2006, Jones improved on his numbers from '05 and posted his first 1000 yard season. Chris Perry is another name worth trade consideration. With Rudi Johnson the workhorse in Cincy, the former first rounder has been left to languish on the bench. Perry was an exceptional playmaker at Michigan, has good size (6-0 225), and has posted a 4.6 ypc average in his abbreviated playing time. With his contract running and Johnson still dominating, the Bengals may look to deal Perry to someone favorably.

good post 8-0

right now I am clueless as to where they go...maybe they see another Joseph Addai coming out that they think can do what he did-maybe they MAKE an effort to get Turner-they may even truly believe that with shoring up the OL the guys that are here (minus Blaylock of course) CAN do the job

right now I have no friggin idea

Nice post; Chris Perry is an interesting option that I had not yet considered. He does have tremendous talent and, as far as I know, he is not one of the bastard bengal bunch (the guys getting in trouble). Great receiver out of the backfield, but so is Leon. I would question his ability to block or pound the ball, but Houston can still pound it in. Dunno, if the price is right, I guess he is a decent fit.

good post 8-0

right now I am clueless as to where they go...maybe they see another Joseph Addai coming out that they think can do what he did-maybe they MAKE an effort to get Turner-they may even truly believe that with shoring up the OL the guys that are here (minus Blaylock of course) CAN do the job

right now I have no friggin idea

and that's the beauty of the current regime. knowledgeable fans like yourself not knowing bodes well for draft day.

ryno the jet, what a horrible avatar pic. As far as the Jets go on running back. I think by committe is the current trend and also very smart. This way you don't have to have all your eggs in one basket. If one of your backs gets hurt at least you have the other half. Of the f.a.'s you mentioned I don't really care for anyone them. I like Rhodes. But after his performance a lot of teams will. I also think we will take a flyer on a rb during the draft in the 3 or 4th round like we did with leon. Unless Lynch falls to us that is. I think Blaylock is odd man out. Barlow is going to stay unless he gets traded. I think it is more likely that we draft one in the draft. Our f.a.'s are going to be cb, o line depth and possible qb and nt.

I don't know,the posters on this board did a great job of selling Michael Turner to me,I don't remember who had that pic of him bulldozing that poor db,6 yards a carry,consistently!

I admittedly have never seen him play a down,that I distinctly remember,but I'm all over the M"ike" Turner Bandwagon!!

third and former stud Kevan Barlow.

I don't know,the posters on this board did a great job of selling Michael Turner to me,I don't remember who had that pic of him bulldozing that poor db,6 yards a carry,consistently!

I admittedly have never seen him play a down,that I distinctly remember,but I'm all over the M"ike" Turner Bandwagon!!

he did pretty well against NE. I think whatever happens we will be an overall better team next season and our rb situation will be fine.

It has been proven over and over you can find gems at running back from variety of drafts position/ free agents.

See Green Bay with Gado two years ago as one example. Running back by committee with all the wear and tear on these guys is the way to go unless you have a guy named Brown in your backfield.

It has been proven over and over you can find gems at running back from variety of drafts position/ free agents.

See Green Bay with Gado two years ago as one example. Running back by committee with all the wear and tear on these guys is the way to go unless you have a guy named Brown in your backfield.

Who are you referring to - Chris or Dee?

I don't know if I'd call Gado a gem. He was running behind a pretty good O-line, and a HOF QB to worry about. He also fumbled 3 times in a games against Philly. (i think it was philly)

But you can get RB's anywhere and everywhere, those guys seem to be a dime a dozen.

Nice post; Chris Perry is an interesting option that I had not yet considered. He does have tremendous talent and, as far as I know, he is not one of the bastard bengal bunch (the guys getting in trouble). Great receiver out of the backfield, but so is Leon. I would question his ability to block or pound the ball, but Houston can still pound it in. Dunno, if the price is right, I guess he is a decent fit.

hard to get in trouble when you're in threapy for rehabbing injuries

Michael Turner is the best option.

Jamal Lewis - he'll be overpriced and he's had a lot of wear and tear. Maybe if we can get him for bargain basement price.

Correll Buckhalter - injury prone and was never that good to begin with. Forget him.

Ahman Green - same like Lewis. Overpriced and overused. Only has a couple good years left at the most if he isn't finished already.

This draft isn't stocked with RB talent the way last year's was.

Mike Nugent should be our running back. Anybody with a brain knows this.

Are you going to be his center? :cheers:

Jamal Lewis - he'll be overpriced and he's had a lot of wear and tear. Maybe if we can get him for bargain basement price.

Correll Buckhalter - injury prone and was never that good to begin with. Forget him.

Ahman Green - same like Lewis. Overpriced and overused. Only has a couple good years left at the most if he isn't finished already.

Free agent wise, Michael Turner is cleary our best option. Like 80 hinted at, a trade is always possible.

RB is a need, but not a huge one. As long as we do not use a 1st round draft pick (or do something stupid and trade up for Adrian Peterson), I'll be happy. I trust Tangini to make the right decisions. As long as the offensive line is fixed, we should be fine no matter who we have at RB.

turnerplowweb.gif

This one? I couldnt help but make this the flyer for bringing him here...

That pretty much sums up the RBs available not in the draft.

Maybe add Thomas Jones and he's an average RB, at best, that prolly only has 2 solid years left. Not worth it.

Turner is the best option if the price is less than a 1st rounder.

Free agent wise, Michael Turner is cleary our best option. Like 80 hinted at, a trade is always possible.

Turner will cost a first-rounder most likely. At the very least he'll cost our high 2nd. I don't really have a big problem with it - he's a known quantity to Schott & it's not like taking a flyer on Barlow.

A 3rd & Barlow ain't getting it done - no way. When Barlow was brought in here it was with the thought he could be the primary back. SD doesn't need a primary back & Barlow's salary (>$3M/yr) is way, way overpriced for a backup.

Personally I like linemen in round 1 when that's an area of need (if there are available players worth that pick of course). But I'll trust that, having seen Turner side-by-side with Tomlinson in SD, Schott can tell the difference between career backup & true starting talent.

Archived