Pats to use franchise tag on....

BoomBoomMancini

The Boston Herald believes Daniel Graham will be franchise tagged.

TheHerald points to Graham being named captain at mid-season and the factthat the Patriots have no blocking tight ends of Graham's caliber. Thiswould more than likely allow CB Asante Samuel to make it to freeagency, something his agent has considered all but certain to happen.

-- from Rotoworld

Makes no sense.

The Patriots who place a value on each position is going to lock in Graham at one of the higher rates for a TE. Which is not exactly QB or one of the other high profile positions, like cornerback.

However, they are going to pass on Assante for a rate that is actually pretty decent when you look at what Champ Bailey makes. Also considering they paid Law around 2-4 million more per year and their defense was just torched for 32 points in a half.

Why would they franchise Daniel Graham when it's Ben Watson who is heralded as their best tight end / biggest receiving threat? I get that Graham may be a leader but he's a blocking TE whose a decent receiver. Giving Daniel Graham a Top 5 TE salary # would make no sense.

.....because a top five TE will make 3 mil and a top 5 DB makes a gazzilion dollars - that's why.

BTW - be careful what you wish for. Without question, Samuel was THE best DB on the Pats this season - great, great instints. He was also playing for a big payday. I have my suspicions about the REAL Asante Samuel.

.....because a top five TE will make 3 mil and a top 5 DB makes a gazzilion dollars - that's why.

8 Million to be exact, and it would be much more worth it than 3 on the TE... but hey feel free to let your best CB walk.

i dont know why everybody is so in love with asante samuel. i dont think mangini will spend that much money on a FA CB. draft is the way to go. building through the draft is the cheapest and most affective way. and you can get a good CB in second or third round. kerry rodhes was a 4th rounder. what we really need is a big body to plug the holes in the middle and LBs who can play pass and run. we also need offensive line help. david carr might get released so he could be a good option to compete against chad penny

A lot of teams will be after Samuel. I know he played for Mangini, and that might give us an edge, but he will ask for a lot of coin.

The positive I take from this is that it gives us an even better chance to land Clements. Samuel will get the publicity and ask for more money -and why not- he had an incredible postseason. Just saying Clements will fly under the radar now.

i dont know why everybody is so in love with asante samuel. i dont think mangini will spend that much money on a FA CB. draft is the way to go. building through the draft is the cheapest and most affective way. and you can get a good CB in second or third round. kerry rodhes was a 4th rounder. what we really need is a big body to plug the holes in the middle and LBs who can play pass and run. we also need offensive line help. david carr might get released so he could be a good option to compete against chad penny

Just so you know, our FO doesnt mind trades or FA either....

These are all players they aquired through trades or FA in 2006

Barlow

Hodgins

Dwight

Sean Ryan

Wade Smith

Von Oldhoffen

Rashad Moore

B Hamilton

CJ Mosley

Hank Poteat

Andre Dyson

R Riddle

C Spencer

B Kassell

M Chatham

Just so you know, our FO doesnt mind trades or FA either....

These are all players they aquired through trades or FA in 2006

Barlow

Hodgins

Dwight

Sean Ryan

Wade Smith

Von Oldhoffen

Rashad Moore

B Hamilton

CJ Mosley

Hank Poteat

Andre Dyson

R Riddle

C Spencer

B Kassell

M Chatham

Patrick Ramsey & Trey Teague as well.

Yeah, because Justin Miller and Derrick Strait turned out to be all-world corners.

The Jets need to sign Samuel or Clements, preferably Samuel. Corners in the draft are a complete crapshoot and it usually takes them a couple years to get adjusted to the NFL game. Some of them never do. I don't feel like waiting around on a young corner to (maybe) develop. Go with the proof. Go with the free agent.

Yeah, because Justin Miller and Derrick Strait turned out to be all-world corners.

The Jets need to sign Samuel or Clements, preferably Samuel. Corners in the draft are a complete crapshoot and it usually takes them a couple years to get adjusted to the NFL game. Some of them never do. I don't feel like waiting around on a young corner to (maybe) develop. Go with the proof. Go with the free agent.

Also a FA who Mangini had a big part in making him what he is...

Maybe he will settle for slightly less to play for Mangini and a team on the rise?? We can only hope...

Samuel or Clements would be nice but I'd be happy with bringing in Nick Harper as our #2 because Andre Dyson has proven he is a #1. The problem was we used 4 RCB's and we did not not have (and still don't have) an NFL starting #2 Cornerback, Nick Harper can be that man and fill the position well. He is good against the run and a pretty good pass defender, under-rated while in Indianapolis.

BTW - be careful what you wish for. Without question, Samuel was THE best DB on the Pats this season - great, great instints. He was also playing for a big payday. I have my suspicions about the REAL Asante Samuel.

do you realize that BB made over 1800 calls to sharon shenocca in 1 year? wtf?

Why would they franchise Daniel Graham when it's Ben Watson who is heralded as their best tight end / biggest receiving threat? I get that Graham may be a leader but he's a blocking TE whose a decent receiver. Giving Daniel Graham a Top 5 TE salary # would make no sense.

Because Daniel Graham IS our best TE and it's really not even that close.

You want a good corner in the draft? To get that you basically need a top 15 pick. The best corners recently (excluding 06 since we still don't really know) were bailey, and mccallister two picks later, then there was D. Hall. Other than that, there really haven't been many "great" corners. Sure you can get lucky and find your Nathan Vasher's, among others. Corner has to be one of the hardest positions to draft for, IMO.

Quoting K. Rhodes as a great pick in the secondary is fine, but finding a good SS is not NEARLY as hard as finding a good corner. There really can't be a comparison between those positions.

You want a good corner in the draft? To get that you basically need a top 15 pick. The best corners recently (excluding 06 since we still don't really know) were bailey, and mccallister two picks later, then there was D. Hall. Other than that, there really haven't been many "great" corners. Sure you can get lucky and find your Nathan Vasher's, among others. Corner has to be one of the hardest positions to draft for, IMO.

Quoting K. Rhodes as a great pick in the secondary is fine, but finding a good SS is not NEARLY as hard as finding a good corner. There really can't be a comparison between those positions.

How about Asante Samuel?

lol..

2nd round

You have how much money to spend? and how many TE on the roster? Yea...DB's like AS just fall off tree's.

Classic Patriots copout. Ill pay Samuel what he wants.

A lot of teams will be after Samuel. I know he played for Mangini, and that might give us an edge, but he will ask for a lot of coin.

The positive I take from this is that it gives us an even better chance to land Clements. Samuel will get the publicity and ask for more money -and why not- he had an incredible postseason. Just saying Clements will fly under the radar now.

Clements will not be flying "under the radar". He played this year for the big payday $$. I've seen him get lit up plenty so I really have my doubts about him.

Agree, can't figure out what the Pats are doing here. This team is loaded at tight end and good corners like Samuel are hard to find. Looks like we may be getting Asante Samuel after all.

I agree Garb..everyone is better in their contract years..he was nothing special till 1/2 through last season...don't overpay him, thats all I ask

Because Daniel Graham IS our best TE and it's really not even that close.

Now THAT'S funny because there is a certain Pats fan who lives in a BIG southern state who on JI told ME that Ben Watson was TWICE the receiver that Laveranues Coles is so that what, makes Graham 4 times better?

Agree, can't figure out what the Pats are doing here. This team is loaded at tight end and good corners like Samuel are hard to find. Looks like we may be getting Asante Samuel after all.

124 is right. Graham is a decent receiver and if he was on another team that utilized him more for his catching abilities he could easily put up decent numbers (i.e. 50+ catches). However, he is a monster blocker and helps Matt Light out...alot.

As for the other post saying Graham is unhappy, I do not see Belichick throwing a bone to a disontent player. He threw one to Flutie and VT because he likes them. Unless, being named a Captain brings a bonus, I do not see reason to name him one unless he earned it.

124 is right. Graham is a decent receiver and if he was on another team that utilized him more for his catching abilities he could easily put up decent numbers (i.e. 50+ catches). However, he is a monster blocker and helps Matt Light out...alot.

As for the other post saying Graham is unhappy, I do not see Belichick throwing a bone to a disontent player. He threw one to Flutie and VT because he likes them. Unless, being named a Captain brings a bonus, I do not see reason to name him one unless he earned it.

Gotta love this Pats 2 waste a Franchise tag on a TE, where they already

have watson and thomas and will probably draft ozzie newsome this year!!!!!!!

Ding Dong the pats are dead!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta love this Pats 2 waste a Franchise tag on a TE, where they already

have watson and thomas and will probably draft ozzie newsome this year!!!!!!!

Ding Dong the pats are dead!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can make fun of their drafting all you want, but when it comes down to it, they always have a third more picks than most teams, and always seem to be in decent position in the first round. Despite them finishing with great records.

If they drafted 4 Long Snappers in the first four rounds I'd still think they got what they wanted.

god i hate the pats.

You want David Carr? :rl: :rl: :rl: :rl:

Now THAT'S funny because there is a certain Pats fan who lives in a BIG southern state who on JI told ME that Ben Watson was TWICE the receiver that Laveranues Coles is so that what, makes Graham 4 times better?

No, that just means Coles blows donkey ****. :P

Archived