Woody's Bottom Line

Maxman

Terrific stuff Max, I couldn't agree more.

One thing I would add: so the WSS falls through. Queens is there for the taking, practically begging the Jets to build there. But hey, why build your own stadium when you can share one with someone else for half the price?

Woody isn't the worst owner in the NFL, but I think it's inarguable that he's the most clueless.

To date, Woody's greatest business accomplishment was being born.

Where the hell did this billionaire come off asking a cash-strapped city for hundreds of millions of dollars to subsidize a football stadium to host at most a dozen football games a year. (But he had no problem spending $70million for unsuccessful lobbying to get millions more).

The franchise is worth a fortune. Just pay your own bills, build a stadium like you said you would, and don't use "I couldn't get a billion dollar subsidy from mostly non-football/non-Jets-fan taxpayers while the city is closing firehouses & shoving 30 kids in a classroom," as an excuse.

The joint stadium, IMO, makes more sense than the WSS in the end. As a Jets fan, I prefer a JETS stadium, but I didn't fork over >$600M for the team. But he should've really built it in Queens in the first place. Snobbery of not wanting the stadium in an outer NYC borough prevented it. The space is FAR cheaper. It's near a friggin' subway so everyone doesn't need to sit in hours of traffic if they don't want to tailgate. And he could've paid for it all himself, like a billionaire should.

Greedy prick. 30 more years of playing in New Jersey.

The increase in ticket prices STINKS.But its not gonna end there parking is rumoured to be going to $20.00,concessions will be going up its inevitable.

Tell you what Woody,you go sign some good free agents put a winning product on the field week after week.And you can raise my ticket prices all you want.Until then LETS NOT FORGET THE LOYAL FAN WHO HAS ENDURED THE 1-15 SEASON AND STILL SENT IN THEIR MONEY.

Great article Max.

I am too very annoyed over this being a young season ticket holder. I do pay for my own seat and soon I'm going to be paying for both of them as soon my father is going to just stop going completely. This is complete bull**** that the ticket prices continued to be raised and by 2010 (the first year of the new stadium) our ticket prices will be the most expensive in the NFL, unless New England starts winning some more championships.

Good article Max. Woody is following the greedy Dolan's blueprint for sucking every last nickel out of the fanbase. Woody jacks up prices come hell or high water, even in losing seasons. I'll keep going to the games as I have for the past 22 years (original ticket price = $12) because I love the team and the atmosphere at the games, but give me SB winner just once! I ragged on the pre-season BS in another thread, but that more than anything sticks in my craw. $420 down the tubes for the privilege of buying regular season tickets. This is equal to 25% of the $1,680 regular season ticket price. That just seems very wrong to me.

Terrific stuff Max, I couldn't agree more.

One thing I would add: so the WSS falls through. Queens is there for the taking, practically begging the Jets to build there. But hey, why build your own stadium when you can share one with someone else for half the price?

Woody isn't the worst owner in the NFL, but I think it's inarguable that he's the most clueless.

Time will tell about Woody. I didn't want to get too much into the WSS in the article. That is why I just mentioned that he failed in his attempt. Not sure how much Jay Cross makes but maybe his job could be eliminated and then the savings spread out to the season ticket holders.

Woody hired Jay to get a new stadium. Jay got half a stadium and cost Woody 100 million dollars. Sounds like a bargain.

Great article Max.

I am too very annoyed over this being a young season ticket holder. I do pay for my own seat and soon I'm going to be paying for both of them as soon my father is going to just stop going completely. This is complete bull**** that the ticket prices continued to be raised and by 2010 (the first year of the new stadium) our ticket prices will be the most expensive in the NFL, unless New England starts winning some more championships.

Joe when the young guys like yourself stop going they should just merge with the Giants. Because that is what they will be left with. An old, quiet crowd. But hey they have lots of money to spend so, "It's all good."

the bottom line is that once the Jets move into the new stadium the PSLs and increased prices will gradually change the season ticket base into corporate seating only

If you have family group that presently has tickets - a new stadium and the price structure will be most likely unaffordable to keep- a shame

The whole PSL thing is going to be a major issue once the stadium gets built.

Just to give you and idea here is a look at the Panthers PSL plans

http://www.carolinapanthers.com/tickets/default.aspx?id=1638

There was a major uproar last season with the Panthers making people pay their playoff invoices even when it became clear that they were not going to make the playoffs, basically telling them that failure to pay playoff invoices would result not only in the loss of season tickets but PSL's as well. :eek:

The money was supposed to go to next season tickets but the fans made suck a stink about it that the Panthers ended up refunding all the money.

Now maybe JetHeels or SJ can answer this one a better than I can but if you buy a PSL for the Panthers do you also have to pay for say any College Football games played there as well ? I had heard things about that as well.

It is going to be intersting to see how many Jets/Giants ticket holders will be willing to drop 5-10 grand on PSL's.

Let me be the stick in the mud. For the most part, based on the few fans who have dealt and met with Johnson, I think he's a good guy.

A $10 increase is not the end of the world. If there's a PSL, well, then we can revisit this. As Johnson and Kraft have suprisingly become good friends within the ownership groups, we can hope the increase may be in lieu of a PSL.

I have no sympathy for anyone who buys concessions ratehr than tailgating.

Whether it was Queens or Manhattan, the NY stadium wasn't going to happen. How much more after the $75 million he already spent should Johnson have spent to puruse something that wsn't ever going to happen? Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. The shared stadium is the best deal that can be made in these circumstance. It would have been cool to walk to "Jets Stadium"the way that Bears fans go to Soldier Filed. But saying "Queens was perfect and wanted us!" is a lie.

As to the Jets record, after having Edwards foisted on him, I think he' much wiser today that he was on the day he took over. ANd I'm overjoyed we have smart guys like Tannebaum and Mangini.

How would you like to be owned by the Bidwill or Ford families?

What do you get for having a PSL? I mean, if there's a rock concert at the stadium, you still have to pay for the seat? If so, then let's say someone holds a concert at the stadium. Do NO tickets go on sale?

And will the Giants also require season ticket holders to pay for PSL's? If so, then whose seat is it?

IM torn on this, being that I own a business I can understand why he does what he does. Of course you need to make your customers happy, but its also about making as much money as possible while you can... the guy isnt exactly young... lol

This whole PSL thing is really confusing and especially with 2 teams, Sperm said it best... "who's seat is it?" Joe E Jet or John E Giant?... lol

Let me be the stick in the mud. For the most part, based on the few fans who have dealt and met with Johnson, I think he's a good guy.

A $10 increase is not the end of the world. If there's a PSL, well, then we can revisit this. As Johnson and Kraft have suprisingly become good friends within the ownership groups, we can hope the increase may be in lieu of a PSL.

I have no sympathy for anyone who buys concessions ratehr than tailgating.

Whether it was Queens or Manhattan, the NY stadium wasn't going to happen. How much more after the $75 million he already spent should Johnson have spent to puruse something that wsn't ever going to happen? Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. The shared stadium is the best deal that can be made in these circumstance. It would have been cool to walk to "Jets Stadium"the way that Bears fans go to Soldier Filed. But saying "Queens was perfect and wanted us!" is a lie.

As to the Jets record, after having Edwards foisted on him, I think he' much wiser today that he was on the day he took over. ANd I'm overjoyed we have smart guys like Tannebaum and Mangini.

How would you like to be owned by the Bidwill or Ford families?

Bugg --

I have met many webmasters, I mean people, that by all accounts are good guys. Yet they are greedy as well. Woody walks the parking lot, shaking hands before the games. That is nice of him to do.

I agree with your points about the New England stuff. If Woody proves me wrong and does not charge a PSL when they are in the new stadium I will admit I was wrong about him. I would pay $125 in the new stadium and not bitch in there was no PSL. I just don't see it happening though.

There is this huge source of revenue. They aren't going to pass it up.

Does this really come as a surprise to you people? Woody Johnson overcharges senior citizens and kids for healthcare. He isn't going to give a flying f about the fans' pockets.

How does he do that? He has nothing to do with the company other than getting shares when someone kicks the bucket.

http://www.answers.com/topic/robert-wood-johnson-iv

Robert Wood Johnson IV (born April 12, 1947 in New Brunswick, New Jersey) is the owner of the NFL's New York Jets, which he bought from the Estate of Leon Hess in 2000.

The son of Robert Wood Johnson III and an heir to the Johnson & Johnson fortune, Johnson is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, was and a major fundraiser for George W. Bush's 2004 presidential campaign. He has started a research foundation, the Alliance for Lupus Research. He was divorced in 2002 and has three daughters, Casey, Jaime, and Daisy from that marriage. Woody is currently living with former investment banker Suzanne Ircha. They have one son, Robert Wood Johnson V, born March 24, 2006.

On August 1, 2006, Johnson was called to testify before the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, after a Senate Report revealed his possible participation in an offshore tax shelter.

Johnson served on the NFL Commissioner search committee in which 185 candidates to succeed Paul Tagliabue was narrowed down to the final choice of Roger Goodell.

Not true. You can debate whether or not Queens was "perfect," since that's a matter of opinion. But the fact is, as soon as the WSS deal fell through, Helen Marshall was banging down Woody's door. Bloomberg was behind a Queens stadium too. The only reason a Queens stadium didn't happen was because Woody didn't want it and killed the deal at the last second--whether it was because he preferred Manhattan, or because he didn't feel like going through another round of legal battles, or because the whole thing was a smokescreen to get a better deal out of the Giants, nobody knows. But Queens was very much open to the Jets.

Not true. You can debate whether or not Queens was "perfect," since that's a matter of opinion. But the fact is, as soon as the WSS deal fell through, Helen Marshall was banging down Woody's door. Bloomberg was behind a Queens stadium too. The only reason a Queens stadium didn't happen was because Woody didn't want it and killed the deal at the last second--whether it was because he preferred Manhattan, or because he didn't feel like going through another round of legal battles, or because the whole thing was a smokescreen to get a better deal out of the Giants, nobody knows. But Queens was very much open to the Jets.

Borough President in NYC has all the power of a Dunkin Donuts counter girl. Some political flunky issuing a press release is a long way from a stadium being a reality. The same politicial headaches would've arisen as with Manhattan, namely, where do you put it? The Mets , who have a huge leg up, didn't want to share their facility or land, which they already share with the US Open, and putting it there creates a complete nightmare for about the first 3 weeks of the NFL season. I can recall going to Jets games at Shea when the US Open was on, and it was a traffic debacle from hell. The only other site would've been Aqueduct, and the NYRA is in turmoil and it wasn't really discussed. Plus it's a nasty place, unless you like Shea with the planes and the freezing cold. Either possibility was worse than the shared stadium, and I write that knowing my commute home would be cut in half and without tolls with either Queens stadium.

If Johnson is going to spend upwards of $75 million of his money, shouldn't he have some say where he wants it? Queens would've been another expensive lawsuit-filled battle. And for what-to shoehorn a stadium in some godforsaken traffic mess? SO why should he then have been forced to fight another uphill battle (with the possibilty again that it hends in failure)when he can just go back to the NJSEA and get a good stadium done at half the price?

Borough President in NYC has all the power of a Dunkin Donuts counter girl. Some political flunky issuing a press release is a long way from a stadium being a reality. The same politicial headaches would've arisen as with Manhattan, namely, where do you put it? The Mets , who have a huge leg up, didn't want to share their facility or land, which they already share with the US Open, and putting it there creates a complete nightmare for about the first 3 weeks of the NFL season. I can recall going to Jets games at Shea when the US Open was on, and it was a traffic debacle from hell. The only other site would've been Aqueduct, and the NYRA is in turmoil and it wasn't really discussed. Plus it's a nasty place, unless you like Shea with the planes and the freezing cold. Either possibility was worse than the shared stadium, and I write that knowing my commute home would be cut in half and without tolls with either Queens stadium.

If Johnson is going to spend upwards of $75 million of his money, shouldn't he have some say where he wants it? Queens would've been another expensive lawsuit-filled battle. And for what-to shoehorn a stadium in some godforsaken traffic mess? SO why should he then have been forced to fight another uphill battle (with the possibilty again that it hends in failure)when he can just go back to the NJSEA and get a good stadium done at half the price?

I agree there would have been problems, but I think they would have been more functional (figuring out where to put it, like you said) than political. I honestly doubt that Woody would have had to spend another $75 million to get a stadium in Queens.

I'm not saying he should be "forced" to do anything...at the end of the day, it's his team and his money. But as fans, we all have the right to agree or disagree with what he does. Personally, I will always be pissed about this until we get our own stadium in NYC, but I understand your point.

For anyone who parks in prepaid lot 18. Do you think they will really invoice for another lot and keep it prepaid? I love lot 18 -- been parking in there for years. I sit in the mezz and you get right in and right out. Always beat the traffic so it is well worth the money.

I wonder where they will move it to? It won't be as good as 18, I can guarantee that much.

Archived