You guys need to step back and take a deep breath.

Alk

I know it sucks for you guys that the Jets haven't made a big splash and gone after any of the sexy FA signings but you might as well get used to it. If Mangini is going to follow the Belichick mold like I think most of you hope he will, you're not going to get many of those players. Hell, before this season, the biggest signing we had was Colvin. I just think giving up 21 points to the Colts absolutely but Belichick over the edge and now he's going to do everything in his power to make sure that doesn't happen again. So anyway, sit back and relax. The Jets will bring in some solid players, nothing earthshattering but they will be solid players that fit Mangini's system.

I have no doubt that you're right Alk but the thing is this; EVERY team has money to sopend and there just are not that many good players out there this year-smart teams are moving fast-I mean IF that's the way we're gonna try and improve the team.

The other possibility is the Vilma trade rumours and moving up in the draft-I haven't pressed the panic button yet but...

<---------

At what point do the Jets realize that we do not have Brady and that the Jets need to acquire game breakers to win games? I am tired of hearing how the Pats do it.. WE DO NOT HAVE BRADY which makes a huge difference

Good post alk.

I still want Joey Porter but I feel this team will make its big move on DRAFT DAY.

This Jets team, is a 7-9 team (w/Pennington), dont be blinded by the 10-6 record and the playoff appearance. The Jets are a 7-9 or 8-8 quality team right now.

We arent winning the SB in the next 2 years, probably 3. We need to build with young guys and make our run in 2009, 2010, 2011 etc etc, now might not be the time to sign these overpriced free agents.

Alk,you have to agree that the Patriots recent ''splash'' in Free agency is a clear sign that mumbles is worried that the coaching gap between the Jets and Pats has closed immensely..

Plus,it's only Tangini's second year..mumbles and Pioli have been doing it much longer..I have hope,something I lost with the arrival of Herman Edwards..and it feels good to have hope again.

That is all

Solid players like TJ Duckett and David Bowens? Thats solid now?

Seriously, take a look back at the players the Patriots signed during their super bowl run. Players that posters like you pointed your fingers and laughed at. I'd say it all worked out for the best while other teams simmered in salary cap hell.

I know it sucks for you guys that the Jets haven't made a big splash and gone after any of the sexy FA signings but you might as well get used to it. If Mangini is going to follow the Belichick mold like I think most of you hope he will, you're not going to get many of those players. Hell, before this season, the biggest signing we had was Colvin. I just think giving up 21 points to the Colts absolutely but Belichick over the edge and now he's going to do everything in his power to make sure that doesn't happen again. So anyway, sit back and relax. The Jets will bring in some solid players, nothing earthshattering but they will be solid players that fit Mangini's system.

I agree with you but we can't wait until the end to sign great players.

Alk,you have to agree that the Patriots recent ''splash'' in Free agency is a clear sign that mumbles is worried that the coaching gap between the Jets and Pats has closed immensely..

Plus,it's only Tangini's second year..mumbles and Pioli have been doing it much longer..I have hope,something I lost with the arrival of Herman Edwards..and it feels good to have hope again.

That is all

I really don't think it has anything to do with the Jets. It's all about that 21 point meltdown in Indy. While at the Pro Bowl, Belichick made some comment to Lorenzo Neal like "21 points...I'll never let that go."

Good post alk.

I still want Joey Porter but I feel this team will make its big move on DRAFT DAY.

This Jets team, is a 7-9 team (w/Pennington), dont be blinded by the 10-6 record and the playoff appearance. The Jets are a 7-9 or 8-8 quality team right now.

We arent winning the SB in the next 2 years, probably 3. We need to build with young guys and make our run in 2009, 2010, 2011 etc etc, now might not be the time to sign these overpriced free agents.

I agree, there is no reason to go nuts on free agents when we should be thinking long-term.

Seriously, take a look back at the players the Patriots signed during their super bowl run. Players that posters like you pointed your fingers and laughed at. I'd say it all worked out for the best while other teams simmered in salary cap hell.
The jets DON'T HAVE Brady or the Pats front 7. Thats the reason they won. Not because of crap role players they brought in. If the jets think they can act like NE but without their major impact players they are stupider then i think they are.

Great thread Alk-you're right on almost every single point you've made-NE is NOT worried about the Jets with their moves-they DID win SB's with exactly the kinds of moves you're suggesting we will make...good stuff

The jets DON'T HAVE Brady or the Pats front 7. Thats the reason they won. Not because of crap role players they brought in. If the jets think they can act like NE but without their major impact players they are stupider then i think they are.

That's the thing mike, 3/4 of those players were drafted, not paid absurd FA contracts. It would be foolish for Mangini in his second year to break the bank just to make one furious run, that's for coaches like Parcells who could keel over any day. I think he's going to build this team up slowly like Belichick did. Hell, in the book Patriot Reign, the Patriots front office was absolutely astonished that they won the Super Bowl in '01. They were planning for a super bowl push about two years down the road.

Great thread Alk-you're right on almost every single point you've made-NE is NOT worried about the Jets with their moves-they DID win SB's with exactly the kinds of moves you're suggesting we will make...good stuff

Why should they worry about the Jets. The jets have not shown any signs that they are trying to really compete for this division.

I really don't think it has anything to do with the Jets. It's all about that 21 point meltdown in Indy. While at the Pro Bowl, Belichick made some comment to Lorenzo Neal like "21 points...I'll never let that go."

Thats a good point..

I was shocked they blew that lead

Good post alk.

:rl::rl:

7-9 team??? Are you kidding???

How many wins did you think we would have in 06'?

Oh yeah dont be blinded by the 10-6 record and a playoff appearance... are you Fing kidding me??? There is nothing to be blinded about, Magini has turned this into a winning team NOW.

The NFL is a WIN NOW league, the whole make a run in 2010 thing is stupid... Mangini doesnt even know if he will have a job by then... there will be different coaches, Coles wont be here, Cotch, Rhodes and others will be nearing FA...

Your crazy if you think coaches are planning 3 or 4 years ahead... its all about the current season, too many things can happen in the NFL to plan that far ahead.

Oh yeah dont be blinded by the 10-6 record and a playoff appearance... are you Fing kidding me??? There is nothing to be blinded about, Magini has turned this into a winning team NOW.

The NFL is a WIN NOW league, the whole make a run in 2010 thing is stupid... Mangini doesnt even know if he will have a job by then... there will be different coaches, Coles wont be here, Cotch, Rhodes and others will be nearing FA...

Your crazy if you think coaches are planning 3 or 4 years ahead... its all about the current season, too many things can happen in the NFL to plan that far ahead.

I know ec...oh yee of little faith SEVEN WIN TEAM!!!!!?????? 11-5

I agree with the original poster, but at the same time the A.Thomas news was pretty devastating. Maybe its the dual sting of not only losing out on his sevices, but losing him to the most succesfull team in our division. I was really hoping SF wouldnt sign Clements so they could throw the world at Thomas. It was the best player on the market and he went to our strongest rival, and at a position that is probably their biggest need right now. There is no good way to look at this from a Jets fan perspective. We are chasing NE, and they just made themselves significantly stronger. Im not down on the Jets FO, or the way we are rebuilding, but after seeing this team improve and lay the ground work for success, it definitely frustrates me to see the team directly in our way get stronger while we seemed to be narrowing the gap.

Also want to throw this out there.....with A.Samuel franchised and potentially on the block, and with two 1st rd. picks, its not impossible to believe that they would have enough make a trade with a team into the very top of the draft and possibly take Calvin Johnson. Just speculation on my part though

Also want to throw this out there.....with A.Samuel franchised and potentially on the block, and with two 1st rd. picks, its not impossible to believe that they would have enough make a trade with a team into the very top of the draft and possibly take Calvin Johnson. Just speculation on my part though

That would be a brilliant move on their part. Brady to CJ, especially on third down would be impossible to stop.

Whatever floats your boat, homer of the year.

The Jets were not nearly as good as their 10-6 record, thats just fact. If they had a tuff schedule, they would have been 7-9.

What a relief it is to have a NE fan here to tell us how our FA season will go along with how we should conduct ourselves.

Thanks Alk. ;)

That is the whole point.

Most people here and 'experts' in the media had the Jets pegged for 4-6 wins. Mangini did a great job and bam...10 wins.

Were the Jets actually a 10 win team that under achieved previously? Or were they a 10 win team that over achieved? I think more people lean to the latter. Mangini benefitted from a ridicously easy schedule. Now, his team will face a much tougher schedule this year.

IF Mangini was hired as a true Belichick clone, he is looking at not only what affects the team this year, but what happens 2, 3 and 4 years down the road. You have to. Funny how you think Mangini would just dismiss this little mantra of Belichick's

a big shout out to alk & pfsikh. this is why it's great to have rival fans on the board.

very solid posting by both of you.

doesn't take away the pain of a solid franchise in our own division making a big move that will benefit them greatly.

I'm pissed at the 9 ers for not throwing the $$$ at this kid. I'll be surprised to see jets make a run at a big name free agent though.

I expect to read about a blockbuster trade to improve the jet D though.

pats are now 1 or 2 players away from very scary.

jets are not. one more great draft will help us a bunch but we don't have the picking slots we enjoyed last year.

a big shout out to alk & pfsikh. this is why it's great to have rival fans on the board.

very solid posting by both of you.

doesn't take away the pain of a solid franchise in our own division making a big move that will benefit them greatly.

I'm pissed at the 9 ers for not throwing the $$$ at this kid. I'll be surprised to see jets make a run at a big name free agent though.

I expect to read about a blockbuster trade to improve the jet D though.

pats are now 1 or 2 players away from very scary.

jets are not. one more great draft will help us a bunch but we don't have the picking slots we enjoyed last year.

good post jw..'bout time ya friggin woke up at the crack of 1:30

And how did they get Brady and that great front seven? Mostly through the draft. By no means am I saying that the draft is the only way to go, but the draft is usually where you find your own playmakers, while free agency, with the exception of a few big names each year, is mostly the place to find the role players who play such a big part in the success of your team.

It hurts that the Pats got probably the best guy on the FA market. But let's wait to see the Jets full offseason and not just one day before we make any judgments.

Whatever floats your boat, homer of the year.

The Jets were not nearly as good as their 10-6 record, thats just fact. If they had a tuff schedule, they would have been 7-9.

That is the whole point.

Most people here and 'experts' in the media had the Jets pegged for 4-6 wins. Mangini did a great job and bam...10 wins.

Were the Jets actually a 10 win team that under achieved previously? Or were they a 10 win team that over achieved? I think more people lean to the latter. Mangini benefitted from a ridicously easy schedule. Now, his team will face a much tougher schedule this year.

IF Mangini was hired as a true Belichick clone, he is looking at not only what affects the team this year, but what happens 2, 3 and 4 years down the road. You have to. Funny how you think Mangini would just dismiss this little mantra of Belichick's

I dont think the schedule will be too much tougher when its all said and done.

Our defense will surely improve in its 2nd year, and as always the offense hinges on QB play... be it Chad or Kellen if one of them can have a solid year 3500 yards and less than 10 INTS, we will hit the 10 win mark.

I dont think the schedule will be too much tougher when its all said and done.

Our defense will surely improve in its 2nd year, and as always the offense hinges on QB play... be it Chad or Kellen if one of them can have a solid year 3500 yards and less than 10 INTS, we will hit the 10 win mark.

There's no telling if the defense will actually improve. In fact, based on the easy schedule last year and this years upcoming tuffer schedule, I'd say the "6th points allowed defense" we had last year, will likely go up even if we actually add acouple better players to the D.

And asking Chad or Kellen to throw for 3500 yards and less than 10 ints is an absolute pipe dream. Thats not gonna happen, please be realistic.

ahem hey BP I was thinking about you when I changed my avatar picture again-kind of appropriate ya think?

I just saw it..that's some funny **** there SFJ..I think you had MadMike in mind? :lol:

Archived