Jets content with DRob at tackle?

Smizzy

Jets | Team content with Robertson at tackle

Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:09:39 -0700

Rich Cimini, reporting for the Sporting News, reports the New York Jets appear to be happy with DL Dewayne Robertson at nose tackle. He is slightly undersized for the position, but he showed good improvement late last season, adapting to the two-gap system. The Jets haven't shown any interest in free-agent tackles, so they're apparently willing to live with Robertson.

Thoughts?

He did get better, but hes not a true NT. Why be content with satisfactory when we could easily draft someone that could excell at that position and would also cost a lot less?

I don't believe the word easily should be used here.

Apparently there was also a rumor on Sirius radio that the Jets could potentially trade D-Rob and a 3rd rounder to the Lions for Shaun Rogers. I'd be all over that, even though there are some questions about Rogers when it comes to work ethic. This trade seems highly unlikely though, I was just throwing it out there.

I don't have a problem with them sticking with Robertson another year to see what he's got at NT, but I think it'd be in their best interest to try and draft someone later in the draft to provide depth and insurance. At the very least he could spell D-Rob. I'd like them to look at getting a guy like Paul Soliai in the 4th, if he lasted that long.

Quote:

Jets | Team content with Robertson at tackle

Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:09:39 -0700

Rich Cimini, reporting for the Sporting News, reports the New York Jets appear to be happy with DL Dewayne Robertson at nose tackle. He is slightly undersized for the position, but he showed good improvement late last season, adapting to the two-gap system. The Jets haven't shown any interest in free-agent tackles, so they're apparently willing to live with Robertson.Thoughts?

Hmmm....Thoughts?

Yeah there isnt any news coming out of the NYJ organization right now, so just like many of us are reaching for posts Cimini is reaching for tidbits as well. The Sporting News must have told him to come up with something if he wanted his check this week so he decided that "the Jets haven't shown any interest in free-agent tackles, so they're apparently willing to live with Robertson." Funny I thought that there was still a draft and future cuts that could address that position if they decided to.

In other news, while trying to dig up his tidbits Cimini stopped by JetNation read Madmike1's post on Adalius Thomas and decided to agree with him.....

Hmmm....Thoughts?

Yeah there isnt any news coming out of the NYJ organization right now, so just like many of us are reaching for posts Cimini is reaching for tidbits as well. The Sporting News must have told him to come up with something if he wanted his check this week so he decided that "the Jets haven't shown any interest in free-agent tackles, so they're apparently willing to live with Robertson." Funny I thought that there was still a draft and future cuts that could address that position if they decided to.

In other news, while trying to dig up his tidbits Cimini stopped by JetNation read Madmike1's post on Adalius Thomas and decided to agree with him.....

:love0030: :love0030: :love0030: I bow to this post.

Apparently there was also a rumor on Sirius radio that the Jets could potentially trade D-Rob and a 3rd rounder to the Lions for Shaun Rogers. I'd be all over that, even though there are some questions about Rogers when it comes to work ethic. This trade seems highly unlikely though, I was just throwing it out there.

I don't have a problem with them sticking with Robertson another year to see what he's got at NT, but I think it'd be in their best interest to try and draft someone later in the draft to provide depth and insurance. At the very least he could spell D-Rob. I'd like them to look at getting a guy like Paul Soliai in the 4th, if he lasted that long.

I can see the Jets D playing a 4-3 at various times in which case having DRob around would be a good thing. I agree that it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up Soliai in the 4th although he might very well be gone in the 3rd. I that senerio Jeremy Clark (Alabama) or Nebraska's Ola Dagunduro might be available in the last few rounds.

He did get better, but hes not a true NT. Why be content with satisfactory when we could easily draft someone that could excell at that position and would also cost a lot less?

He is the same size as Wilfat up in NE pretty much... is he a true NT?

Vince Wilfork - 6'2" - 325lbs

Drob - 6'1" - 317lbs

Drob is shorter, which is better, and if he can put on a little muscle he will be all set.

There in no way on god's green earth Wilfat weighs 325 pds...375 is more like it.

There in no way on god's green earth Wilfat weighs 325 pds...375 is more like it.

Sorry the highest I saw him listed anywhere was 330... and I think that was in college... I could be wrong but Im just going by the facts here Smizzy...

Sorry the highest I saw him listed anywhere was 330... and I think that was in college... I could be wrong but Im just going by the facts here Smizzy...

No fact there. Im sure BB has him listed how he wants him listed.

I think D-Rob is a pretty good nose tackle with upside. He plays smaller than he is because he relies more on quickness then brute force to get around blockers. Woolfork plays big because he is big and because he plows through the line to tackle the runner, disrupt the runner's path or just break the will of the offensive lineman.

I like D-Rob and hope they give him time to establish himself in Mangini's system. He will not be easily replaced. Its a tough spot to fill. Willfork, for all his skill and power, plays between two excellent DEs, Warren and Seymour. I think D-Rob's improvement at the end of last season earned him the benefit of the doubt. Lets see how he does with another year under his belt (learning the system and building his body under Mangini's regime) with some better players around him.

I may be crazy, and in the minority here, but I think D-Rob has a better chance to succeed long term as a Jet in this system than does Vilma.

Did anyone bother to think that we didn't go after any FA NT's better than DRob because there aren't any? What FA would you have like to see suit up instead? Name one who was available between March 2nd and today.

And regarding DRob vs Wilfat:

There is no way that 8 lbs separates these two. To compound it, Wilfat is a little taller. DRob is likely around 310. 317 was his weight when he was drafted. No friggin' way he carried the same baby fat around after Mangini's camp that he did before.

Wilfat is not listed at his current actual weight. Anyone can see this. He's probably around 350, which is enormous for a guy 6'2. Hey, for YEARS Ted Washington was listed at 325 also. Was that his real weight? Of course not. Only recently did he start to get listed at the slightly more accurate 370-375.

And regarding DRob vs Wilfat:

There is no way that 8 lbs separates these two. To compound it, Wilfat is a little taller. DRob is likely around 310. 317 was his weight when he was drafted. No friggin' way he carried the same baby fat around after Mangini's camp that he did before.

Wilfat is not listed at his current actual weight. Anyone can see this. He's probably around 350, which is enormous for a guy 6'2. Hey, for YEARS Ted Washington was listed at 325 also. Was that his real weight? Of course not. Only recently did he start to get listed at the slightly more accurate 370-375.

DRob had 8% body fat when he was drafted. As for Wilfork, he's a good run stuffer but gets injured on occasion and has the benefit of playing next to Seymour and Warren. Production wise Drob is just as good if not better, and he plays in more games.

DRob had 8% body fat when he was drafted. As for Wilfork, he's a good run stuffer but gets injured on occasion and has the benefit of playing next to Seymour and Warren. Production wise Drob is just as good if not better, and he plays in more games.

He missed three games with an injury last season and that was the first time in his career. If both players had came out the same year they would have played the exact same amount of games.

He missed three games with an injury last season and that was the first time in his career. If both players had came out the same year they would have played the exact same amount of games.

that's fine but my greater point is if the Patriots DL was Drob, warren and Seymour no one would be complaining about Drob in Patsie land. These players are at worst equals, and I'd still rather have Drob because he can rush the passer on occasion.

i have had faith in D-Rob ever since we drafted him and he is starting to come around. like i said the jets dont need a NT. D-Rob will get 65% of the plays and Pouha will get 35% we didnt draft pouha in the 3rd round for him to sit on the bench.

Our defense is seriously f*cked if Pouha is playing more than a 3rd of the downs as our NT. Pouha stinks.

Archived