Lastings Milledge is getting into the recording industry

Matt39

Lastings' latest bad rap

Foul mouth strikes out

By IAN BEGLEY

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, May 16th 2007, 4:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print Email Suggest a Story

Lastings Milledge's foray into hip-hop with pal Manny D (l.) is not a big hit with the Mets.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastings Milledge's rap has gone from bad to worse.

Milledge, who ticked off Met teammates last season with his on and off-the-field antics, has taken poor judgment to a new level, performing on a rap song that would make Don Imus blush.

The rappin' right fielder uses the N-word and ***** and also says "ho" in a song featured on his new record label's Web site.

Milledge, performing on souljaboirecords.com, raps about "rich (N word)," "wealthy (N word)," a "top-notch ho" and having "a different ***** for every night" on the sexually explicit song "Bend Ya Knees."

Milledge, the Mets' 22-year-old phenom playing at Triple-A New Orleans, is the CEO of Soul-ja Boi records, a Florida-based label. He performs on the Web site with rapper Manny D, a childhood friend who is signed to the label.

"He's lost his mind," said City Councilman Leroy Comrie (D-Queens), who sponsored the Council's resolution that condemned use of the N word. "I don't understand how he could, in the spirit of Jackie Robinson, put out music that's so vile, using . . . some of the worst words in music."

In addition to his choice of language, Milledge's timing is also awful, as the song comes on the heels of the firing of WFAN morning host Imus, who used the words "nappy-headed ho's" to describe the Rutgers women's basketball team.

Comrie said he played the song for two female interns who were "horrified" by Milledge's words. Milledge is in Port St.Lucie to rehab an injury. Comrie said the Mets need to help him rehab his image as well.

"He needs to be taken in a room by the Mets staff and be made sure he understands that's not the position of a major league athlete or a black male in society," Comrie added. "That's not how he wants his mother or sister treated. It's just ridiculous."

In a statement last night, the Mets distanced themselves from Milledge's music project: "We disapprove of the content, language and message of this recording, which does not represent the views of the New York Mets."

Reached by the Daily News yesterday, Milledge said he didn't want to comment on his music career during the baseball season and would not confirm it's his voice on the Web site. But Manny D did confirm to The News that it's Milledge's voice.

"That's the only song he would be on that's on the album," Manny D said. "He is not trying to get all into rapping because he has to concentrate on baseball. That's his No. 1 priority."

The album is expected to be released in August, Manny D said.

"Do I feel like he should watch what he says because he's in the public eye? Yeah, but everything he's doing is positive," Manny D said. "He's not out there shooting people or shooting up dope. How can you fault somebody for something they say?"

One Mets player, speaking anonymously before last night's game at Shea, wasn't surprised by Milledge's lyrics. "Language like that in a rap song? Shocking!" the player said sarcastically.

Milledge was expelled from Northside Christian School in 2003 for having sex with a 15-year-old girlfriend and agreed to enroll in a juvenile arbitration program to avoid prosecution. Soon after the Mets drafted Milledge in 2003, the Daily News reported that he had been accused of having consensual sex with 12 and 13-year-old girls as well, which led to his expulsion from school.

Milledge made his big-league debut last May and immediately rubbed some teammates the wrong way by showing up late and high-fiving fans down the right field line after hitting a home run. Milledge, who hit .241 with four homers in 166 at-bats last season, came to spring training last March with a more mature approach, suggesting that he got a bad rap last season. Now he's just producing bad rap.

"I don't know what kind of fan base he's trying to attract by denigrating women," Comrie said. "He needs some sensitivity training."

Milledge, who said rehab of the sprained ligament in his right foot was "going good," assured Mets fans he won't let hip-hop distract him from his day job.

"I'm only talking about baseball right now, I just want to rehab and get back (to New York)," Milledge said. "This is only something for the offseason."

With Roger Rubin

Should have traded him b4 he ever stepped on a Major League field. His stock was never higher. As for the "saviour" comment.....David Wright and Jose Reyes are still on the roster and all things Mets begins and ends with those two.

True. Funny how it works out. The hype machine always said Lastings would turn them around. But it happened long before he ever even arrived.

True. Funny how it works out. The hype machine always said Lastings would turn them around. But it happened long before he ever even arrived.

Agree. He could still be a good Major League player but in hindsight we could have landed a Dan Haren or Joe Blanton from Oakland possibly rather than have a guy who per what we've read, doesn't seem to fit in with the close knit unit that makes up the current Mets roster.

I think Gomez has passed him in Omar's plans anyway and this won't help Milledge any.

I thought Lastings Milledge was supposed to be the next great Mets outfielder?

Who cares that he's a rapper? Is it really that bad? It shouldn't be. If you don't think thats the way he talks in real life and most of the Mets players (ya know, real life being non interviews), you're mistaken.

Who cares that he's a rapper? Is it really that bad? It shouldn't be. If you don't think thats the way he talks in real life and most of the Mets players (ya know, real life being non interviews), you're mistaken.

actually most of the Mets players dont speak English,,;)

praise be to Omar, ,give me the Latin players any day of the week..

And what exactly happened to Hideki Matsui?

Or Melky Cabrera?

Or Marcus Thames?

Or Bubba Crosby?

Or Wily Mo Pena?

Or Karim Garcia?

Or Roberto Kelly?

Just sayin'.

And what exactly happened to Hideki Matsui?

Or Melky Cabrera?

Or Marcus Thames?

Or Bubba Crosby?

Or Wily Mo Pena?

Or Karim Garcia?

Or Roberto Kelly?

Just sayin'.

Hideki Matsui & Melky Cabrera > Lastings Milledge.

Hideki Matsui & Melky Cabrera > Lastings Milledge.

Hideki Matsui got 10 times the hype of Lastings Milledge. He'd better be better than him.

As for Melky, what does that say that he's better than Milledge? He's a .268 hitter who's a little chunky (200 lbs.) for his 5-11 frame, especially for a center fielder.

Some guys are simply busts. At least we have Carlos Gomez emerging as a youngster who can make an impact immediately.

Hideki Matsui got 10 times the hype of Lastings Milledge. He'd better be better than him.

As for Melky, what does that say that he's better than Milledge? He's a .268 hitter who's a little chunky (200 lbs.) for his 5-11 frame, especially for a center fielder.

Some guys are simply busts. At least we have Carlos Gomez emerging as a youngster who can make an impact immediately.

bubba crosby, karim garcia?

You guys said that last year about Milledge.

Any of those guys you mentioned are better than Milledge. They actually played, and in the cases of guys like Matsui and Kelly were all-stars as well.

Nobody went touting those guys as five tool players like the Mets fans do did with Milledge.

You guys said that last year about Milledge.

Any of those guys you mentioned are better than Milledge. They actually played, and in the cases of guys like Matsui and Kelly were all-stars as well.

Nobody went touting those guys as five tool players like the Mets fans do did with Milledge.

I can't speak for other Mets fans, but I took a "wait-and-see" approach with the kid. I had heard a lot of positive things about him (and its not too late for him to turn it around yet) and was merely against trading him for Zito because I did not think Zito would be a good fit for New York. I still stand by that prediction, although if Milledge does indeed end up a bust (as he is careening towards), I, will of course, have been proven wrong.

who cares...mets playin great without him,, he may get his act togethefr and be productive or a baragining chip,,all the while, mets are playing great without him,,

if this is the mets biggest problem than lifde is good for mets fans :P

who cares...mets playin great without him,, he may get his act togethefr and be productive or a baragining chip,,all the while, mets are playing great without him,,

Mets' top 5 biggest problems, according to opposing fans:

1) Not having Scott Kazmir

2) Wright and Delgado's April slumps

3) The Atlanta Braves

4) Milledge's bust potential

5) Not getting that one "big pickup" in the offseason

Yes, life is certainly going pretty nicely in Met nation if these are indeed our biggest concerns.

Mets' top 5 biggest problems, according to opposing fans:

1) Not having Scott Kazmir

2) Wright and Delgado's April slumps

3) The Atlanta Braves

4) Milledge's bust potential

5) Not getting that one "big pickup" in the offseason

Yes, life is certainly going pretty nicely in Met nation if these are indeed our biggest concerns.

Nah biggest problem is having trouble drafting and having a racist GM. Rather give Schoenweis 3 years so Green doesn't feel alone. Real GM's that care more about winning then race take care of their own in a guy who bailed them out three times a week in Bradford.

Yankee fans know how much of a loser Schoenweis is from his Bluejay days, Used to be asked to get Giambi and Matsui out and would walk them had to be cut by a team with a shotty bullpen as it is. Yet cause he is jewish he gets 3 years and more money then Bradford unreal.

Good to see he's thinking of life after baseball cause he simply isn't any good. Another guy who will join Pelfrey out of baseball by mid 2008.

thats so juvenile its laughable.

Out of baseball completely, ,what a silly silly statement.

Correct. Bottom line, Omar will address the situation and the Mets will have a sufficient Right and Left fielder when Greene and Alou leave.

Omar is like Mangini....fans no longer worry about the team making the neccessary corrections when problems arise.

Nah biggest problem is having trouble drafting and having a racist GM. Rather give Schoenweis 3 years so Green doesn't feel alone. Real GM's that care more about winning then race take care of their own in a guy who bailed them out three times a week in Bradford.

Yankee fans know how much of a loser Schoenweis is from his Bluejay days, Used to be asked to get Giambi and Matsui out and would walk them had to be cut by a team with a shotty bullpen as it is. Yet cause he is jewish he gets 3 years and more money then Bradford unreal.

what drugs are you on?

ban this dolt.

what drugs are you on?

ban this dolt.

Everything I said was factual. Saw how bad Bluejays pen was? They cut him cause he sucked yet Mets give him 3 years 12 million. And if you mean ban me for the jewish conspiracy I work with jewish people everyday and I have nothing against them or any race besides arabs. Not that you needed to know that. But even the Redsox signed Dice-K then went out and got Okajima. Noone knew he was going to be anygood even the Boston Herald said he's just there to be a friend to Dice K.

Suppose he's racist too?

Everything I said was factual. Saw how bad Bluejays pen was? They cut him cause he sucked yet Mets give him 3 years 12 million. And if you mean ban me for the jewish conspiracy I work with jewish people everyday and I have nothing against them or any race besides arabs. Not that you needed to know that. But even the Redsox signed Dice-K then went out and got Okajima. Noone knew he was going to be anygood even the Boston Herald said he's just there to be a friend to Dice K.

Suppose he's racist too?

mods, please intervene.

this is horrendous.

mods, please intervene.

this is horrendous.

Nah horrendous is giving a guy who was cut 3 years when Bradford was money every chance he had. Horrendous is Aramis Ramirez teeing off on him when he's on your employees fantasy team and pretty much does me in this week lol. Not sure if your a Mets or Yankees fan but if I had to guess it's Yankees just for the fact that you guys just bandwagon the team without watching most of the games so there for when Schoenweis was giving them wins you had no idea. It's cool though.

Nah horrendous is giving a guy who was cut 3 years when Bradford was money every chance he had. Horrendous is Aramis Ramirez teeing off on him when he's on your employees fantasy team and pretty much does me in this week lol. Not sure if your a Mets or Yankees fan but if I had to guess it's Yankees just for the fact that you guys just bandwagon the team without watching most of the games so there for when Schoenweis was giving them wins you had no idea. It's cool though.

haha

you have issues ,,good luck..

I've heard some people call minaya racist before, I'm not sure I agree with it, but I've heard it before.

Everyone is a little racist some more then others. It's just when your fed Scott Schoenweis when the better player just happens to not be Jewish in Chad Bradford gets even less money and produces more. Thats where the line gets drawn in my opinion.

Suppose he's racist too?

you are a ****in racist, anti semite doosh!

and to say you work with jewish people everyday is great....it's like the guy who blurts out the "N" word and says, oh it's ok, I have plenty of black friends!

a majority of your posts are racist, you should be banned immediately....mods, review this guys posts and step up!

you are a ****in racist, anti semite doosh!

and to say you work with jewish people everyday is great....it's like the guy who blurts out the "N" word and says, oh it's ok, I have plenty of black friends!

a majority of your posts are racist, you should be banned immediately....mods, review this guys posts and step up!

POTW

milledgesweater.jpg

Keepin' it real-argyle! Lastings is gonna bust a cap in ya azz -if you don't get away from that lovely rack of Tommy Hillfiger sweaters, which he and his good friend would like to peruse, and perhaps purchase.Please, my good man,step aside!

Everyone is a little racist some more then others. It's just when your fed Scott Schoenweis when the better player just happens to not be Jewish in Chad Bradford gets even less money and produces more. Thats where the line gets drawn in my opinion.

That decision was likely based on having another lefty out of the pen as opposed to Bradford who is a righty. Omar favors Latin Americans....now it's Jewish players...Don't take this the wrong way but you are not worth further responses.

Archived