ESPN's Top 10 Teams....R-E-S-P-E-C-T

SoFlaJets

Hashmarks Offseason Power Ratings

July 6, 2007 3:20 PM

After attending three minicamps and talking to several personnel experts across the league, I'm now prepared to release my offseason Top 10.

Teams such as the Browns and Lions have had nice offseasons, but this list will focus on the 10 teams that have the best chance of winning a Super Bowl heading into training camp:

Patriots: Realizing that a lot of the players who played key roles in their three Super Bowl titles were gone, the franchise made some dramatic offseason moves. Matching Tom Brady with an elite group of receivers and adding a Pro Bowl linebacker in Adalius Thomas makes New England the clear favorite.

Colts: They lost seven players who started at least one game last season, and you might recall them having the worst run defense in the league. That said, the Colts added the best slot receiver in the draft with Anthony Gonzalez. And Joseph Addai is poised to become one of the best running backs in the league.

Chargers: This is probably the most talented roster, but the Chargers are obviously going through a big transition. I'm a little worried about those young inside linebackers, but the guys on the edge can make up for a lot of deficiencies.

Saints: There are still people who think 2006 was simply one of those magical seasons, but this offense is way too talented to be a fluke. It's not even a top-20 defense in my mind, but Gary Gibbs has done an excellent job of patching everything together.

Eagles: I may be placing way too much faith in the NFC, but I can't help but think that the combination of a healthy Donovan McNabb and Jevon Kearse is going to make this a top-5 team. The Eagles have done a nice job addressing some of the problems they had against the run with linebacker Takeo Spikes, defensive end Montae Reagor and defensive tackle Ian Scott.

Bears: Yes, I know it's been an awful offseason with the Tank Johnson fiasco and the Lance Briggs holdout situation. I also know that teams can sometimes feed off controversy. If Briggs sits out the first 10 games (I don't think he will), the team will find a way to replace him.

Ravens: The loss of Thomas will hurt, but this is still the best overall defense in football. The addition of Willis McGahee makes this a much more dangerous offense. And believe it or not, the team finally has a receiver who can stretch the field.

Jets: OK, here's where I'm going to lose a lot of you guys, but bear with me. This team made it to the playoffs last season with a rookie head coach and some pretty lackluster rankings on offense and defense. I think the addition of running back Thomas Jones will have the Jets looking at an 11-win season.

Seahawks: Yes, I've been talking up the 49ers for months now, but the Seahawks have one more run left. They should be much healthier this season at key positions, and defensive end Patrick Kerney will be a nice addition.

Panthers: I thought the Panthers may have come up with three starters in the draft, and way too many people are counting out Jake Delhomme. Just look at what this team has done coming off poor seasons in the past.

Why must this person first dis the Jets before they praise them?

It is true?

The D improved as the season went along, but it also helped you played inept offenses and a weak schedule.

I would like to know where they see the 11 wins coming from.

It is true?

The D improved as the season went along, but it also helped you played inept offenses and a weak schedule.

Pats once

Miami twice

Buffalo once

thats 4...

Wins against

Giants

Redskins

Steelers

Cowboys or Eagles

Cheifs

Titans

Browns

Thats 11...

We can definatly sweep the NFC East and Buffalo without Mcgahee we can sweep them too, count on double diget wins without any major injuries.

Haha. I'll bet you anything, anything, you don't sweep us. Marshawn is going to be better than lazy ass Willis, especially now that we have a much better o-line.

Haha. I'll bet you anything, anything, you don't sweep us. Marshawn is going to be better than lazy ass Willis, especially now that we have a much better o-line.

I was going to say the same thing. From what I've seen (NFL Networks coverage of Bills passing camp) and heard Mawhsawn looks very good.

The Jets are looking at a split against the Bills this season.

The Bills and Jets have split the season series every year since 2003.

I was going to say the same thing. From what I've seen (NFL Networks coverage of Bills passing camp) and heard Mawhsawn looks very good.

The Jets are looking at a split against the Bills this season.

The Bills and Jets have split the season series every year since 2003.

Marshawn is a very good RB and I don't look forward to playing against him but I'm in a wait and see stance right now, I have a feeling he might be good but there is no way to say for sure.

But the only challenge the Jets had recently with the Bills was stopping Mcgahee. Its not like we can't stop him, as we have stopped better RB's then him. Its just something about Mcgahee where the Jets weren't able to touch him.

Anyway, the Bills were the only team in the division to NOT improve over the offseason. Sure, you added some draft choices, which every team does but other then that you essentially traded Mcgahee for Lynch...Not a very good deal in my opinon.

Remember, we are the Jets. Willis played for two games a year, and that was against us. I don't know why he decided to try against us, maybe he just likes the color green. But all I can tell you is that Marshawn will never be as much of a Jets killer as Willis was.

It is true?

You should call him and ask.

Top teams are only as good as their top players; and those don't always make it through the season, or the preseason, or sometimes Training camp. A Patriots team that could go undefeated might scrape together only 4 wins without Brady. Likewise our team could see a winless, or an undefeated season depending on the play of our players and that of our opponents.... These type of threads; while intresting in the slow off-season. are rarely accurate.

So bottoms up, for a good one.

Personally, I prefer to wait for the season to make season-related comments.

Top teams are only as good as their top players; and those don't always make it through the season, or the preseason, or sometimes Training camp. A Patriots team that could go undefeated might scrape together only 4 wins without Brady. Likewise our team could see a winless, or an undefeated season depending on the play of our players and that of our opponents.... These type of threads; while intresting in the slow off-season. are rarely accurate.

So bottoms up, for a good one.

Personally, I prefer to wait for the season to make season-related comments.

The best thing for the Pats would be if Brady went down. Matt Cassell is due for 3 superbowls.

The best thing for the Pats would be if Brady went down. Matt Cassell is due for 3 superbowls.

That'd be a hell of a show-down. Cassel and his super-human recieving team vs. Clemens and the three toughest sons-a-bitches in the league.

Hell, lets pray for our QB's to go down; and for both to regain starter-hood by week-2, cause that'd make for one of the greater betting events of the new-season.

Cheers, and here's to good QB health come week-2.

to quote a certain Pats fan who USED to post here " Matt Cassell is BETTER than Chad Pennington"-a virtual LOCK for the hall of fame when he eventually gets his shot

Anyway, the Bills were the only team in the division to NOT improve over the offseason. Sure, you added some draft choices, which every team does but other then that you essentially traded Mcgahee for Lynch...Not a very good deal in my opinon.

I think we improved alot actually. Dockery was huge for our O-Line and made our left side extremely strong. Posluszny will be a solid LB, to replace Fletcher was smaller, older and on the decline anyway. As for Spikes, he was useless last year, so his loss is nothing to the team, seeing as he missed most all the season, even when he played, he wasnt anything special.

Onto Willis. I honestly dont get why everyones so high on him. I can see Jets fans thinking that, because the only time her ever showed up was against the Jets. Wills had two 100+ rushing yard games. Both against the Jets. Anthony Thomas, in 2 starts, had a 100+ yard game, and a 95 yard rushing game. Pretty much as many as the great Willis.

Im glad hes gone, and I'm glad we have Lynch, who will have more than 2 100 yard games this season, thats for sure. If you dont think thats a good deal, I dont know what Bills team you watched last year.

I think we improved alot actually. Dockery was huge for our O-Line and made our left side extremely strong. Posluszny will be a solid LB, to replace Fletcher was smaller, older and on the decline anyway. As for Spikes, he was useless last year, so his loss is nothing to the team, seeing as he missed most all the season, even when he played, he wasnt anything special.

Onto Willis. I honestly dont get why everyones so high on him. I can see Jets fans thinking that, because the only time her ever showed up was against the Jets. Wills had two 100+ rushing yard games. Both against the Jets. Anthony Thomas, in 2 starts, had a 100+ yard game, and a 95 yard rushing game. Pretty much as many as the great Willis.

Im glad hes gone, and I'm glad we have Lynch, who will have more than 2 100 yard games this season, thats for sure. If you dont think thats a good deal, I dont know what Bills team you watched last year.

Your crazy if you think Lynch is going to do better against the JETS than Willis did... Willis might be a ****ty RB but he sure knew how to run against the JETS...

Dockery was the OVERPAY of the offseason... 69 million? I love Poz, but I can't see him making an immediate impact, or at least not to the level of London Fletcher, Spikes was the best player/the leader on your defense, and Lynch won't have half the Jet success that Willis had.

Your crazy if you think Lynch is going to do better against the JETS than Willis did... Willis might be a ****ty RB but he sure knew how to run against the JETS...

Since 2003 the Jets and Bills have split the season series each time. Why would you expect that to change anytime soon?

Miami, regardless of their record, always give the Pats problems. The Bills do the same to the Jets.

Since 2003 the Jets and Bills have split the season series each time. Why would you expect that to change anytime soon?

Miami, regardless of their record, always give the Pats problems. The Bills do the same to the Jets.

so for three whole season in a row! THREE WHOLE SEASON! in an irreversible trend!

so for three whole season in a row! THREE WHOLE SEASON! in an irreversible trend!

That would be 4 seasons. 2003, 2004, 2005 & 2006.

Since the 2000 season the Jets have taken the season series once (2002).

You must have problems reading. Please show me where in my response I said Lynch will do better against the Jets than Willis?

All I said is that Lynch is going to be better and more productive for us than Willis, he can do alot more than Willis, and is younger, with a much better attitude.

You must have problems reading. Please show me where in my response I said Lynch will do better against the Jets than Willis?

All I said is that Lynch is going to be better and more productive for us than Willis, he can do alot more than Willis, and is younger, with a much better attitude.

I agree. Lynch is going to be a major threat each time he touches the ball.

SweetLee: How are the contract talks going with him?

Why do people keep acting like Spikes didn't play last year? He had 70 tackles. Between him and Fletcher-Baker you're looking to replace 200+ tackles from the LB position. It's not impossible, but coupled with the loss of Clements it's probably not going to be a seemless transition.

Dockery was the OVERPAY of the offseason... 69 million? I love Poz, but I can't see him making an immediate impact, or at least not to the level of London Fletcher, Spikes was the best player/the leader on your defense, and Lynch won't have half the Jet success that Willis had.

In your eyes, overpay, sure. It doesnt matter to me. We are WAY under the cap still, and it was a huge need for our team, and we addressed it, thats all that matters, not what any fan of any team thinks he should have been paid.

Spikes was no where close the best player on our defense last season, no where. Watch every game last season he played in, he missed 4, had 2 with 0 tackles, one with 1 tackle and another with just 2. Plus his replacement Keith Ellison had just 5 less tackles than him last season, and he was a day 2 draft pick last year. He went unnoticed all season, the injury he sufferd 2 season ago runined Takeo, he'll never be the same.

I dont know why you all are so obbsessed with judging Lynch as a RB in the NFL by how he'll do against the Jets. We play more teams than just NYJ, and he'll be fine against all of them. Just you watch.

Why do people keep acting like Spikes didn't play last year? He had 70 tackles. Between him and Fletcher-Baker you're looking to replace 200+ tackles from the LB position. It's not impossible, but coupled with the loss of Clements it's probably not going to be a seemless transition.

I don't really know what to think of the Bills this year. Over the last 7 seasons they have been the poster child for mediocrity.

I think Losman is going to get better and that Lynch is going to be very good. Not to mention Evans.

I dont know why you all are so obbsessed with judging Lynch as a RB in the NFL by how he'll do against the Jets. We play more teams than just NYJ, and he'll be fine against all of them. Just you watch.

We don't care about your other 14 games, thats the thing. In the 2 games a year Willis played against us he was unstoppable. We do not care if Lynch is a better NFL RB or not, just how he plays against us. And he has some pretty big shoes to fill.

Archived