I believe that the preseason loss on Friday was the best thing that could of happened

To this Jets team...

As a team, the Vikings showed the Jets first string including Chad and the O-Line that on any given Sunday we can get our "you know what kicked" up and down the field. We really needed a game like that in the Preseason to humble us as a team. Yea we made the playoffs last season, but it may just be that much harder to do so once again this year now that teams will have an X on the Jets come Sunday instead of a... Lay down W.

I just believe that the way Chad played on Friday night was just horriable and I believe in the theory "what dont kill QB's can only make them stronger..." Believe me you, Chad Pennington will have a new found fire lit up under his ass, study harder, and come week 1 I really think he will execute his plays like a real champion with Thomas and Leon in the backfield taking alot of pressure off of Chad to actually open up the pass.

Our D-Line seen we need alot of work on Friday night, our O-Line including Brick seen how much progress we need to make before week one, and Chad Pennington seen what can happen if his head is not in the game at all times, each and every play and each and every down... I think the Jets as a team will take alot out of that loss on Friday night, and build upon it for a playoff run this year.

I remember when we had a Home opener in KC the year we went 4-12... And Chad and the O-Line had what? Like 5-6 fumbles? I really thought that Chad was going to fumble like that every game because as a fan I was ****ting bricks... But he corrected that problem, and I feel he will correct alot of mistakes that happend to him and the Jets on Friday.

Just my thoughts.

this was the best thing to happen to wake Jets fans up and remind them how average this team is. If Mangious wins more than 8 games this season it will mean this team was well coached.

Give me a fuucking break, fans like you are a discrace to fans of sports... Just give me a fuucking break with your lame ass b.s.

Dont even say we made the playoffs because of strength of schedule last season.

Here are some facts for you... BUDDY.

-Last season we made the playoffs with a first year HC in E.Mangini

-Last season we made the playoffs with a new OC in Martys boy

-Last season was Chads first season back from 2 injurys on his throwing arm

-Last season we made the playoffs with 2 rookies on the O-Line in Brick & Mangold

-Last season we made the playoffs with a great 1-2 punch in Barlow and Blaylock in the backfield

-Last season we made the playoffs with Kimo at DE

-Last season we made the playoffs with a new 3-4 system for the defense...

This year we have a much better team, and a coach who knows his players a whole lot more than the year before... Give me a break with ur B.S negativity. Dont even post on this site when the Jets win games, because you aint shiit when it comes to being a fan. We make the playoffs last season, get T.Jones in the off-season, draft the 2nd best MLB in David Harris, and draft the best CB from the draft in D.Revis... And you wanna say we will be lucky 2 win 8 games? Get the F outta here with you B.S.

Give me a fuucking break, fans like you are a discrace to fans of sports... Just give me a fuucking break with your lame ass b.s.

-Last season we made the playoffs with 2 rookies on the O-Line in Brick & Mangold

-Last season we made the playoffs with a great 1-2 punch in Barlow and Blaylock in the backfield

This year we have a much better team, and a coach who knows his players a whole lot more than the year before... Give me a break with ur B.S negativity. Dont even post on this site when the Jets win games, because you aint shiit when it comes to being a fan. We make the playoffs last season, get T.Jones in the off-season, draft the 2nd best MLB in David Harris, and draft the best CB from the draft in D.Revis... And you wanna say we will be lucky 2 win 8 games? Get the F outta here with you B.S.

You're boring.

In a twisted way, Mangini is almost happy he can beat the team up for the balance of August. And if he thinks Penny sits and Clemens plays, so be it. Comfortable football players aren't any good. As far as malcontents, they've been weeded out.

And a big thing-D'brick is probably barely sleeping and filled with self-doubt and anger looking toward the Pats. That is a good thing. And Thmas Jones will be close to 100%.

In a twisted way, Mangini is almost happy he can beat the team up for the balance of August. And if he thinks Penny sits and Clemens plays, so be it. Comfortable football players aren't any good. As far as malcontents, they've been weeded out.

And a big thing-D'brick is probably barely sleeping and filled with self-doubt and anger looking toward the Pats. That is a good thing. And Thmas Jones will be close to 100%.

I am sure Mangini and staff will take that negative energy and turn it into a positive.

Listen I'm sorry I burst your bubble, but just so you know it's not that I don't want the team to do well, I'm just pretty disappointed in what I'm seeing so far.

I also had bought into the idea that this team was really going to build off of last year, you know same players, 2nd year in schemes, etc., etc. That's why I'm so disenchanted because for all the good reasons I expected to see a better team it hasn't happened. And honestly I feel if the team hasn't shown by this time that its better than last year it's not likely going to be anything but maybe marginally better if at all. They have all the same problems. It seems like very little has changed. The bottom line is they lack talent up front, defense and offense.

As far as the rookies drafted this year that'll be good somewhere down the road, but not much impact for this year. Otherwise we've got a bunch of 2nd rate free agents that I don't expect to have much of an impact either. Hey I was an optimist once like you, but I've seen the light. I'm gonna have to see some cold hard well played games before I let myself get hyped again.

Listen I'm sorry I burst your bubble, but just so you know it's not that I don't want the team to do well, I'm just pretty disappointed in what I'm seeing so far.

I also had bought into the idea that this team was really going to build off of last year, you know same players, 2nd year in schemes, etc., etc. That's why I'm so disenchanted because for all the good reasons I expected to see a better team it hasn't happened. And honestly I feel if the team hasn't shown by this time that its better than last year it's not likely going to be anything but maybe marginally better if at all. They have all the same problems. It seems like very little has changed. The bottom line is they lack talent up front, defense and offense.

As far as the rookies drafted this year that'll be good somewhere down the road, but not much impact for this year. Otherwise we've got a bunch of 2nd rate free agents that I don't expect to have much of an impact either. Hey I was an optimist once like you, but I've seen the light. I'm gonna have to see some cold hard well played games before I let myself get hyped again.

What, you don't think that Thomas Jones is the second-coming of LaDanian Tomlinson or Kenyon Coleman is going to make us wonder how anyone could have ever be impressed by the play of Richard Seymour?

Brick is developing WAYYY too slowly for the #4 pick.

The right half of our OL are backup talent who only start b/c we don't have starting talent there. LG is still a question mark & Kendall wasn't all that anyway.

We still don't have a legit 3-4 NT on the roster.

At end Ellis is just ok in the 3-4 & we have nothing on the other side.

One of our ILB'ers is the size of a safety.

Our QB panics under pressure & can barely make a pass over 15 yards unless the receiver has his man beat by 5-10 yards. Cut that range in half if he's throwing to the sideline.

Best thing this team has going for it is discipline & the element of surprise from the coaching staff. We are WAY short on raw talent. It's part of what made the 10 wins last year so exciting; they just weren't that good. Really good teams don't get man-handled by the 4-win Cleveland Browns.

I hope for more of the same surprises this year b/c on paper we've got some major player personnel issues all over the field.

What, you don't think that Thomas Jones is the second-coming of LaDanian Tomlinson or Kenyon Coleman is going to make us wonder how anyone could have ever be impressed by the play of Richard Seymour?

The right half of our OL are backup talent who only start b/c we don't have starting talent there. LG is still a question mark & Kendall wasn't all that anyway.

Our QB panics under pressure & can barely make a pass over 15 yards unless the receiver has his man beat by 5-10 yards. Cut that range in half if he's throwing to the sideline.

Best thing this team has going for it is discipline & the element of surprise from the coaching staff. We are WAY short on raw talent. It's part of what made the 10 wins last year so exciting; they just weren't that good. Really good teams don't get man-handled by the 4-win Cleveland Browns.

I hope for more of the same surprises this year b/c on paper we've got some major player personnel issues all over the field.

Tell the truth, which is more frustrating: A good team that is unprepared and coached by somebody with the football knowledge and clock management skills of a finger puppet or a well coached and prepared team with barely adequate talent? I'm still not sure which I prefer myself.

good teams usually lose in preseason. they have nothing to prove. smart coaches try new stuff with the starters to experiment for a quarter and then get a look at the backups. means nothing. nothing can be ordained from it. penny stunk it up in preseason last year too.

what makes you madder: losing to a crap team in preseason or winning the game and having a starter get injured?

only herm would go all out to win a preseason game.

Tell the truth, which is more frustrating: A good team that is unprepared and coached by somebody with the football knowledge and clock management skills of a finger puppet or a well coached and prepared team with barely adequate talent? I'm still not sure which I prefer myself.

LOL good question. But I have an answer. The former is far more frustrating.

Few here were heartbroken with last year's playoff exit. Even the most blind homer should have realized the 2006 Jets did not have superbowl talent.

What is frustrating about this team (to me anyway) is not that it's lacking talent. It's the slow progress of some of it (D'Brick), the questionable passing of superior talent for lesser talent (Schlegel), the childish way we looked with the Revis contract, and the way - after seeming to start so strong in this regard at the beginning of the '06 draft - they have virtually ignored the OL.

If we get killed in a game by superior talent, well you go home and re-tool in the off-season.

If we lose a game that is winnable because of bad coaching? Coaches don't suddenly gain strategy knowledge on the job or develop math or time-telling skills. People may get a little better with experience, but they don't actually get more intelligent. It is a sinking feeling to know that even when your team has the talent to get there with really good coaching, only blind luck or an opposing coach one-upping us in stupidity will actually succeed in accomplishing such.

What exactly are you looking at? Pre-season games??? I guess you were thrilled after the Atlanta game. Are you impressed with the Phins and Lions who are both 2-0?

SP...I agree with some of your statements but not all. Let me explain, since 1998, the Jets have been contenders, yes they had slipped a couple of times, and yes they won a division, and yes they lost some heart breakers in the playoffs. However, this team is good enough to win it all and it has been since 1998. But the reason they had slipped was because of serious injuries to key personel (the QB's and running backs). No team can overcome those types of injuries.

What it comes down to, is Penny MUST step up and be a QB calll it 20 TDS and 10 INTs, then we are talking.

The defense MUST play big all year and not have relapses of sleep walking when we play a "crap team"...that's disipline and professionalism.

The running game must step up and run....get a mimimum of 1000 yards.

If the above happens the Jets can win the division and can get through the playoffs with wins. The Key is can Penny hold his end of the bargin. He needs to be a bit smarter than he has been todate. Forget about his arm strenght, he can win, he just needs to perform. And we will find out soon (the first regular season game).

Few here were heartbroken with last year's playoff exit. Even the most blind homer should have realized the 2006 Jets did not have superbowl talent.

What is frustrating about this team (to me anyway) is not that it's lacking talent. It's the slow progress of some of it (D'Brick), the questionable passing of superior talent for lesser talent (Schlegel), the childish way we looked with the Revis contract, and the way - after seeming to start so strong in this regard at the beginning of the '06 draft - they have virtually ignored the OL.

If we get killed in a game by superior talent, well you go home and re-tool in the off-season.

If we lose a game that is winnable because of bad coaching? Coaches don't suddenly gain strategy knowledge on the job or develop math or time-telling skills. People may get a little better with experience, but they don't actually get more intelligent. It is a sinking feeling to know that even when your team has the talent to get there with really good coaching, only blind luck or an opposing coach one-upping us in stupidity will actually succeed in accomplishing such.

SP, sorry if this sounds like a broken record, but I don't agree, we were in the second round of the playoffs against the steelers in 05 and the steelers had "much" better talent than the Jets (according to all of the experts), had "much better coaching" than the Jets and had a "much better QB" than the Jets but the Jets should have beaten that team...it came down to a kicker who could not kick 2 freakin field goals....and 1 of them being a gimme....We forget that we have been contenders for a while now, we just don't have a super bowl to show for it. It will start with Penny and it will end with Penny this year.

I still say 11-5 and a division title.

SP, sorry if this sounds like a broken record, but I don't agree, we were in the second round of the playoffs against the steelers in 05 and the steelers had "much" better talent than the Jets (according to all of the experts), had "much better coaching" than the Jets and had a "much better QB" than the Jets but the Jets should have beaten that team...it came down to a kicker who could not kick 2 freakin field goals....and 1 of them being a gimme....We forget that we have been contenders for a while now, we just don't have a super bowl to show for it. It will start with Penny and it will end with Penny this year.

Then you missed what I was saying.

We had a team that was good enough. Pittsburgh was deemed to be so much better because they won more games. Who is to say that if you flipped coaching staffs and kept the same players, that the Jets wouldn't have been considered the better team? I do not accept that the team performed as well as they could have, or won as many games as they could have, under that moron. You think we win 12 games in '98 with Herm as HC? How many SB's would NE have if Herm was their HC?

You don't need the single best team to win (or reach) a superbowl. You have to be good enough to compete with the top teams. We were good enough personnel-wise to compete with the top teams. What we lacked was imagination from the coaching staff. Brien may have missed 2 FG's that game, but you do realize that EITHER of those would have been a record FG for length at Heinz Field, yes? Brien was not known for having a cannon-leg. Herm used him in just that way. Like putting Testaverde in a WCO.

Teams have lost QB's and RB's and still won it all or came very close.

I find the poor coaching more frustrating, but I'm not sure which I find more entertaining. I liked Donnie Henderson and Westhoff, so it was just the O and clock management that I continually questioned. No matter how many times Herm proved me wrong, I continually believed that he couldn't **** it up that bad. With talent and poor coaching I want the game to be longer because I keep thinking they'll overcome stupidity. With a deficit in talent I want a shorter game to sneak a victory('06 v. Ind). I'm not sure of the '07 talent level. I'm not as low on Pennington as some, but we are counting on a lot of question marks (Adrien Clarke/Kenyon Coleman) and expecting some young guys to be pro bowlers when they haven't proved it yet (Revis/D'Brick/Mangold). Jones is a legit back, but it will be interesting to see if he raises the level of the O or falls to Barlow/Blaylock/Houston levels.

I'm not sure what you consider a gimme, but IIRC, Brien missed from 43 and 47. Neither exactly an extra point. The Steelers had only lost one game and were at home. Yes, they should have been the favorites, but if our coach didn't opt to kneel down and lose two-three yards before the attempt Brien might have made one. Any given Sunday and all that, but this team's talent is more questionable than the '98-04 Jets if everybody were healthy (Curtis/Jabe/Penny). It is not the same team as '98 and last year was a fairly major purge.

Yeah, but you were also lucky to see that game because a rookie kicker for the Chargers could not kick a game winning FG.

Then you missed what I was saying.

We had a team that was good enough. Pittsburgh was deemed to be so much better because they won more games. Who is to say that if you flipped coaching staffs and kept the same players, that the Jets wouldn't have been considered the better team? I do not accept that the team performed as well as they could have, or won as many games as they could have, under that moron. You think we win 12 games in '98 with Herm as HC? How many SB's would NE have if Herm was their HC?

You don't need the single best team to win (or reach) a superbowl. You have to be good enough to compete with the top teams. We were good enough personnel-wise to compete with the top teams. What we lacked was imagination from the coaching staff. Brien may have missed 2 FG's that game, but you do realize that EITHER of those would have been a record FG for length at Heinz Field, yes? Brien was not known for having a cannon-leg. Herm used him in just that way. Like putting Testaverde in a WCO.

Teams have lost QB's and RB's and still won it all or came very close.

Is this true? I've always felt that Herm should have tried to get him closer, but that's just ridiculous. What a friggin moron.

Yeah, but you were also lucky to see that game because a rookie kicker for the Chargers could not kick a game winning FG.

Dude, come off it. We manhandled SD that game, and if not for the fact that Eric Barton missed the memo reminding him that he's not Superfly Snuka, we would have never been in the situation where Kaeding was going for that kick. That game should have been over long before. You use that argument as if we had no business winning the game which is about as dumb and ignorant as I would expect from a Pats fan.

Is this true? I've always felt that Herm should have tried to get him closer, but that's just ridiculous. What a friggin moron.

Yes it is true. The prior record was like 40 or 41 yards. Herm gave Brien attempts at 43 and 47 or something like that. Vinatieri I think nailed one in the mid-40's a week after we lost to Pittsburgh, but he had a "somewhat" better leg than Brien.

The funny part about that game, was that LaMont was running crazy on them. Had herm just givin it to him a few more times we may have ended up on the 10. Its not like we had to put the ball in Penny's hands and ask for a miricle. Lamont was making a killing in there...but of course, LaMont didn't start and therefore should never receive the ball late in a game.

Yes it is true. The prior record was like 40 or 41 yards. Herm gave Brien attempts at 43 and 47 or something like that. Vinatieri I think nailed one in the mid-40's a week after we lost to Pittsburgh, but he had a "somewhat" better leg than Brien.

I'm pretty sure Brien hit a 42 yarder earlier in the game.

I'm pretty sure Brien hit a 42 yarder earlier in the game.

Well then that tied it. I remember that hitting either of those two would have been the record. Think they mentioned it during the game. Kneeling on the ball to make it longer has to be just about the dumbest thing I've ever seen a HC do. I mean a QB sneak would have made more sense.

On the fieldgoal length at Heinz field subject... I'm pretty sure Sperm misunderstood the fact. There is one open side of Heinz field where the wind is far worse and thats the side where nobody makes long fieldgoals. And that is the side that Brien was kicking into in 4th quarter/OT. The 42 yarder he made was on the other side. Might want to check on that but thats how I remember it.

On the fieldgoal length at Heinz field subject... I'm pretty sure Sperm misunderstood the fact. There is one open side of Heinz field where the wind is far worse and thats the side where nobody makes long fieldgoals. And that is the side that Brien was kicking into in 4th quarter/OT. The 42 yarder he made was on the other side. Might want to check on that but thats how I remember it.

Never heard that one. I only knew it was a lousy place for kickers. Didn't know the field was one-sided bad.

Never heard that one. I only knew it was a lousy place for kickers. Didn't know the field was one-sided bad.

Yeah. Up until 2004, well even still today, all they talk about is how the open end of the stadium is just so hard to kick into and how the other side is much easier, I think thats how it is at least. I know they've always compared the two sides and how its much easier on the one compared to the other.

What exactly are you looking at? Pre-season games??? I guess you were thrilled after the Atlanta game. Are you impressed with the Phins and Lions who are both 2-0?

I'm looking at the play of the starters in the first quarter (plus) which has been awful. at least not what I would expect from a team hyped on having most of the same players returning and being in the same schemes for a second year.

tell me with 3 weeks left until opening day have you seen any evidence that this team is going to be much better than last year?

Yeah. Up until 2004, well even still today, all they talk about is how the open end of the stadium is just so hard to kick into and how the other side is much easier, I think thats how it is at least. I know they've always compared the two sides and how its much easier on the one compared to the other.

Another reason to love Herm. He and his "clock management assistant" probably couldn't figure out that the open end is harder to kick into. I mean they only keep statistics on it for the newspapers, right? I think he was proud just to have had the time to attempt the kick.

Dude, come off it. We manhandled SD that game, and if not for the fact that Eric Barton missed the memo reminding him that he's not Superfly Snuka, we would have never been in the situation where Kaeding was going for that kick. That game should have been over long before. You use that argument as if we had no business winning the game which is about as dumb and ignorant as I would expect from a Pats fan.

Nice....and your right on with your comments.

SD was overrated as the Jets proved and SD is still over rated today. For crying out loud guys, we beat SD and we should have beaten Pitt. Those are the facts. Anyway, Penny has got to step up, no more excuses, no more I should have done this or I will do that, just play the freaken QP position, makes some plays, throw some good balls and limit the mistakes. If he does this the Jets will win.

Archived