Pete Kendall Traded: MERGED

SoFlaJets

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
(as per the news thread) so THAT'S good news for team morale anyway...I pray Jacob Bender is a quality starter-I'm also rooting for Villani for b/u center

Again, Adrien Clarke should and hopefully will be the starter at Left Guard. If not him, than Adrian Jones or Wade Smith. I do not want to see Jacob Bender's transition to the future Right Tackle of this team be slowed down by the Jets needing to plug someone in at Left Guard for a season. If they were so high on Clarke, he should get the nod.

Rich Cimini wrote:

After several months of acrimony, the Jets and Pete Kendall are parting ways - finally.

The Jets, trying to move past a bizarre and ugly chapter, were on the verge last night of trading the disgruntled left guard to an undisclosed team, NFL sources told the Daily News. Multiple teams expressed an interest once the Jets made it clear they wanted to move Kendall, 34, a starter for the Jets since he arrived in 2004.

Kendall is expected to receive a new contract, and it's believed he will earn at least $2.7 million for the coming season. He was due to make $1.7million from the Jets and was seeking a $1million raise, but they refused to renegotiate his deal, which had three years and $6.1 million remaining.

In return, the Jets will get an undisclosed draft choice. As of midnight, details of the trade still were being finalized. An announcement is expected this morning. Kendall must pass a physical before the trade is official. Kendall's agent, Neil Schwartz, declined to comment.

It became apparent yesterday that something was brewing because Kendall was pulled off the practice field by GM Mike Tannenbaum.

Kendall didn't practice the last two days because of an injury to his right shoulder, which doesn't appear serious. While riding a stationary bike on the sideline, he was approached by Tannenbaum. The GM invited Kendall to his office, according to an eyewitness - an indication that a deal was in the works. A few minutes later, Kendall was back on the bike.

The Jets rid themselves of a headache, but the quality of their offensive line takes a hit.

They will turn over the left-guard job to rookie Jacob Bender or Adrien Clarke, whose NFL resume consists of only 13 games and four starts, all with the Eagles in 2005. Clarke started the first two preseason games, but the new flavor of the week is Bender, a sixth-round pick from Nicholls State. Bender, working with the regulars this week in practice, probably will start Saturday night against the Giants.

Kendall's relationship with the Jets deteriorated in June, when he went public with his bitterness, claiming the organization had reneged on a promise to renegotiate his contract. Since then, he has ripped the Jets at every opportunity, trying to hasten his release by becoming a nuisance. He threatened to hold out, hoping they'd release him before camp, but the Jets called his bluff, creating a sideshow in camp.

The Jets gave Kendall plenty of fodder for complaining. They gave away his starting job, assigned him to the rookie dorm on the first day of camp and made him double as a backup center, a position they know he hates. In last week's game, he misfired on two shotgun snaps, one of which was returned for a touchdown by the Vikings. There were whispers that he did it on purpose as a form of protest, but he insisted that wasn't the case.

On Sunday, Kendall learned that Bender, a small-college rookie, had moved ahead of him on the depth chart, yet another indignity. Disgusted, Kendall made a remark that's considered borderline heresy in the NFL, suggesting he wouldn't take pain-killing injections in order to play hurt. In 2004 and 2005, he took needles for various injuries, missing only one game.

Kendall took a pay cut after the 2005 season and, after a strong performance last year, he felt he was entitled to a bump in pay. But the Jets refused, claiming it would set a dangerous precedent by renegotiating a deal that ran through 2009. They were afraid that other players, claiming to be underpaid, would make a stink.

The Jets held their ground, showing they weren't going to be bullied by a player. It was a strong statement, but they also lost a quality player in the process.

Wow. I wonder what the pick is?

Jacob Bender, there is a whole ton of pressure on him. I really hope Mangini isn't letting his pride get the best of him. If they think Kendall's skills have slipped that is fine. Hopefully this move isn't being made for any other reason.

(as per the news thread) so THAT'S good news for team morale anyway...I pray Jacob Bender is a quality starter-I'm also rooting for Villani for b/u center

I hope so. I have read about the ice pack on his shoulder and being held out of practice the past few days. Something is up. IMO CLARKE was not nearly as bad last week as some people are trying to say. I watched the game three times( in disbelief). He had some moments where I wish he would have done much better. He also pancaked Kevin Williams and that is not easy to do. The guy is still very young with the team and maybe too much is unrealisticaly expected of him after 2 games! Heck, even BRICK had his moments and Kendall do no better then Clarke when he came in. The whole OL was bad that night. I sure hope VILLANI does step in and take a center job( behind mangold, of course). I am skeptical of WADE SMITH but ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY. I am hoping that CLARKE rebounds with a great game vs the GIAINTS! GO JETS!

Please dont go to the fins!

It won't be the fins, pats, or Bills. This is why they are trading him. They then control where he goes.

I'm willing to bet neither Clarke or Bender start on Opening day. I have a feeling we'll either make a deal, or pick up a cap casualty.

Again, Adrien Clarke should and hopefully will be the starter at Left Guard. If not him, than Adrian Jones or Wade Smith. I do not want to see Jacob Bender's transition to the future Right Tackle of this team be slowed down by the Jets needing to plug someone in at Left Guard for a season. If they were so high on Clarke, he should get the nod.

A lot of people were high on Clarke, but let's face it, if he was "the man", Mangini wouldn't be experimenting (for lack of a better word) with Bender. Takes time for lines to form a cohesiveness and messing around with Clarke would not be advantageous if the staff was happy with him.

Well most here are getting their wish with Kendall being traded. In my opinion this is a huge mistake for a variety of reasons. This will greatly impact the running and passing game as neither Bender or Clarke are ready to be starters at this point. Sure you can throw them to the fire but I would rather go with the proven veteran guy who can get it done. He was also a team leader (voted captain by teammates) who can continue to help the O line ON the field during battle. Sure you cannot set precedent with all of this contract crap but who knows what was said behind closed doors and with the inmaturity the Jets handled this situation I am taking Pete's side.

I hope I am wrong but this puts a huge dent in the offensive line...god forbid this trade is within the same division

It won't be the fins, pats, or Bills. This is why they are trading him. They then control where he goes.

I'm willing to bet neither Clarke or Bender start on Opening day. I have a feeling we'll either make a deal, or pick up a cap casualty.

I hope it's to a team that we don't even PLAY this year-that's how much I don't trust Pete Kendall anymore

If the Jets do not have their eye on someone elses roster this move is pure stupid

the guy's been dogging it all spring and summer and causing dissension on the team-it HAS to be done-it's like a front tooth that has become infected-you hate to lose it, but it hurts and just looks bad and has to get pulled

the guy's been dogging it all spring and summer and causing dissension on the team-it HAS to be done-it's like a front tooth that has become infected-you hate to lose it, but it hurts and just looks bad and has to get pulled

Ask Vick...he knows what to do with "dogs" that don't perform.

Well most here are getting their wish with Kendall being traded. In my opinion this is a huge mistake for a variety of reasons. This will greatly impact the running and passing game as neither Bender or Clarke are ready to be starters at this point. Sure you can throw them to the fire but I would rather go with the proven veteran guy who can get it done. He was also a team leader (voted captain by teammates) who can continue to help the O line ON the field during battle. Sure you cannot set precedent with all of this contract crap but who knows what was said behind closed doors and with the inmaturity the Jets handled this situation I am taking Pete's side.

I hope I am wrong but this puts a huge dent in the offensive line...god forbid this trade is within the same division

I have to disagree with you on this one. Kendall is like a cancer growth...in the beginning the growth won't do much damage, but left untreated, this growth can and will cause death. This staff isn't stupid and realize that this guy can cause all kinds of problems with this team...contract and performance wise.

4H, you know that I know where you're coming from on this.

As Cimini wrote:

"The Jets rid themselves of a headache, but the quality of their offensive line takes a hit."

The headache was largely of their own making, as they handled this situation poorly and immaturely.

I give credit to the other Jets players for staying out of the fray, and not throwing any gas on the fire.

But one thing I think that we have missed in this equation, and not really acknowledged is that the Jets players are on Kendall's side. Not only is he the player union rep, he is a respected veteran.

Even Bender had really nice things to say about him in an interview, and Bender mentioned how Pete was helping him in TC.

The Jets were penny wise and dollar foolish, and this fiasco is going to bite them in the arse down the road in more ways than one.

(And believe me, I hate how Kendall has handled it, but i am more concerned with the Jets than with him.)

I think Bender will be just fine in the running game.... It's the passing game I'm worried about (since he hardly blocked for it in college). Kendall was helpful to Mangold in audibles, but it's time for Mangold to do it himself. Pete Kendall's skills, unfortunately, have deteriorated..... well that may not be fair... DTs are just getting bigger and he's a small guard....

We may have some growing pains, but I have a feeling Clarke/Bender won't be the players all season and someone's cap casualty will be on our team shortly.

Even if it is Clarke/Bender, I don't think there will be a huge dent. 3 yrs ago maybe, but now Kendall is not the same player.

I`m with you Tyson ,I hope this doesn`t come back and bite Mr. T in the butt by making a weak OL weaker and end up getting Chad hurt again....I actually wonder if Chad offered up the $1,000,000 like he did for LC but Mr. T. just wouldn`t let him....

4H, you know that I know where you're coming from on this.

As Cimini wrote:

"The Jets rid themselves of a headache, but the quality of their offensive line takes a hit."

The headache was largely of their own making, as they handled this situation poorly and immaturely.

I give credit to the other Jets players for staying out of the fray, and not throwing any gas on the fire.

But one thing I think that we have missed in this equation, and not really acknowledged is that the Jets players are on Kendall's side. Not only is he the player union rep, he is a respected veteran.

Even Bender had really nice things to say about him in an interview, and Bender mentioned how Pete was helping him in TC.

The Jets were penny wise and dollar foolish, and this fiasco is going to bite them in the arse down the road in more ways than one.

(And believe me, I hate how Kendall has handled it, but i am more concerned with the Jets than with him.)

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. A malcontent in any type of organization does more harm than good.

Losing a starter from last year's oline is a blow, it's that simple.

I disagree, too. Its ridiculous to renegotiate a four year deal after just one year. He is acting inappropriately. And I dont see how much the running game will suffer since it was terrible last year. Anyway, Kendall is the wrong guy to play b/w Mangold and Brick. He wasnt big and strong enough to carve holes next to Mangold and is too slight to help Brick in pass protection. And he's getting up in years. Any hit will be short term, at worst.

Good riddance, Pete.

I think Bender will be just fine in the running game.... It's the passing game I'm worried about (since he hardly blocked for it in college). Kendall was helpful to Mangold in audibles, but it's time for Mangold to do it himself. Pete Kendall's skills, unfortunately, have deteriorated..... well that may not be fair... DTs are just getting bigger and he's a small guard....

We may have some growing pains, but I have a feeling Clarke/Bender won't be the players all season and someone's cap casualty will be on our team shortly.

Even if it is Clarke/Bender, I don't think there will be a huge dent. 3 yrs ago maybe, but now Kendall is not the same player.

Absolutely. Did anyone see how RICHARD SEYMOUR killed KENDALL in last years playoff game? Kendall is being glorified here but in reality, as someone said- He is a cancer in the lockerroom. His pass blocking skills have diminished and that was very obvious last year. Look at the JAX tapes. KENDALL struggles against bigger players and he is growing slower as he gets older. Clarke may or may not be what we are looking for. he certinly did well in the ATLANTA game. VS Minny, not so good but playing Kevin Williams does that to many OGs. Especially when they are new to an Ol and scheme.

I just do not think KENDALL was all that much to worry about replacing at this point in his career. Heck, he was relatively young and good when ARIZONA DUMPED him. Why?

Bender is a sixth round pick. He's not the inheriting any job at RT. If he's the best OG he should start. His development should not be put above anything. Win now.

They may look for a future starter, but I doubt they find somebody after week three that is able to start on Day 1. It is not that easy to learn the playbook, I don't care how simplified they make it.

A lot of people were high on Clarke, but let's face it, if he was "the man", Mangini wouldn't be experimenting (for lack of a better word) with Bender. Takes time for lines to form a cohesiveness and messing around with Clarke would not be advantageous if the staff was happy with him.

I don't read that much into the "experimentation" These guys love to run guys at different spots just to see what they have and they love versatility. I don't think it necessarily means they aren't sure who the starter will be. Then again, it might.

I hope it's to a team that we don't even PLAY this year-that's how much I don't trust Pete Kendall anymore

Why? Why do you have to trust players on the other team? I've never heard of him being a cheap shot artist and he's never complained about another player, so I'm not worried about him injuring anybody. Are you afraid he'll spill the playbook? I'm sure he will. I would. If he goes his loyalty lies with his new team.

Pete Kendall was great to have as a starter in terms of a veteran body that brings some leadership to the offensive line, but he was an unhappy player here with the jets (All the Jets FO had to do was pay the man, but maybe they thought he was on the decline... Every side has 2 storys) But the Jets FO has to do the right things and move Kendall if you ask me. Just say we did keep him as the starter, come week 1, on a 3rd and 3 in the 4th quarter, down by 4 points with 2:00 left in the game... Chad goes back, Pete lets a player run right past him 2 sack Chad Pennington... Anything to get back at Mangini. He is a cancer if you ask me, and as a team player... Why should any of us fans or even Mangini trust him protecting our QB? I know I dont.

Call it what you wanna call it, but the 2 bad snaps in the pre-season=Tanking it if I ever seen a player tank it before. And it was also Pre-metitated for the simple fact he told E.Mangini early in the week that he really aint feel right playing the center position... He planned all week on doing what he did if you ask me.

Guards are easy to find.

Then where the **** are they? Even with Kendall happy in camp this team should have been looking for depth and to replace Moore as a starter. There is nobody on the team now I'm jumping up and down about.

As for blown snaps = tanking, the guy is a ****ing OG! Not a center. If that's the case then I guess Wade Smith is tanking too. What's his problem?

Archived