How Long should Mangini's leash be?

DonCorleone

Are we going to get a new Head Coach every time we have a losing season?

This is a win now league. If BP took a 1-15 team and was one bad call away from having a 10-6 team the following year, why couldn't Mangini address the real issues (at least some) in the offseason. We were well below the cap. in case you did not notice, his defence simply isn't working. The team that is last in the NFL in offence, with a qb that had never played an NFL game beat us. We are worse than last year, it is not simply our schedule.

If we have a horrible season, 3-13 or worse, should he be back next year?

Yes. He said when he 1st came that this team is going to undergo some changes and that there may be some growing pains....

Give him another 3 years, if we're not a SB/AFCCG contender by then....it'll be time to find someone else.

Is that a serious question? It's hilarious that people think he's a terrible coach after 1 bad game. Christ some people need to relax. Today sucked horribly but it's hardly grounds to fire the coach, it's kinda hard to blame Mangini for Chad's 2 INT's.

Is that a serious question? It's hilarious that people think he's a terrible coach after 1 bad game. Christ some people need to relax. Today sucked horribly but it's hardly grounds to fire the coach, it's kinda hard to blame Mangini for Chad's 2 INT's.

One bad game?

did you miss the other 2 losses? or the fact that our defence stinks worse than last year?

One bad game?

did you miss the other 2 losses? or the fact that our defence stinks worse than last year?

Yup 3 losses definitely means he should be fired. Everything is either Mangini's fault, Chad's fault, or *insert name here*'s fault. People need to sit back, relax, and gain some perspective and stop talking about firing the coach 4 games into his 2nd season.

Yeah maybe we should all just "off" ourselves too while we're at it. :rl: You are 100% correct, these people are just too much Mason.

This is a win now league. If BP took a 1-15 team and was one bad call away from having a 10-6 team the following year, why couldn't Mangini address the real issues (at least some) in the offseason. We were well below the cap. in case you did not notice, his defence simply isn't working. The team that is last in the NFL in offence, with a qb that had never played an NFL game beat us. We are worse than last year, it is not simply our schedule.

:rl:

Yup 3 losses definitely means he should be fired. Everything is either Mangini's fault, Chad's fault, or *insert name here*'s fault. People need to sit back, relax, and gain some perspective and stop talking about firing the coach 4 games into his 2nd season.

Maybe they just need one of these:

post-1691-12804639636411_thumb.jpg

IMO when you fail to address the problems, your ability to evaluate talent is questionable at best. We saw these problems last year. We saw them again in preseason and we see them again now. How great does our defensive guru appear now?

IMO when you fail to address the problems, your ability to evaluate talent is questionable at best. We saw these problems last year. We saw them again in preseason and we see them again now. How great does our defensive guru appear now?

Seriously dude you sound "limited". This is the NFL,you can't turn your roster over in one year..Mangini and Tanny are doing the right way and building a team, not throwing around money like fools on overpriced free agents. This thread is a joke!!

I tie Mangini and Vilma in together.

The 3-4 defense is not working, period. At the end of the season, it's very likely that Mangini will look to trade Vilma off to a 4-3 team. But why? The system does not work. You don't trade your best defensive player because he doesn't fit in a system THAT YOU CAN'T GET TO WORK. How many impact players on defense has Mangini brought in to run his system? Kassell? Chatham? Schlegal? Kimo? Bowens? Mangini has failed miserably in bringing in talent to run in "his" system. So, we trade Vilma...then what? Is Mangenius magically going to stop bringing in ****ty, third-rate free agents to try to run the scheme?

If this defense does not show signs of improvement, and at the end of the year, it comes down to Vilma or Mangini, I would rather have Vilma.

I tie Mangini and Vilma in together.

The 3-4 defense is not working, period. At the end of the season, it's very likely that Mangini will look to trade Vilma off to a 4-3 team. But why? The system does not work. You don't trade your best defensive player because he doesn't fit in a system THAT YOU CAN'T GET TO WORK. How many impact players on defense has Mangini brought in to run his system? Kassell? Chatham? Schlegal? Kimo? Bowens? Mangini has failed miserably in bringing in talent to run in "his" system. So, we trade Vilma...then what? Is Mangenius magically going to stop bringing in ****ty, third-rate free agents to try to run the scheme?

If this defense does not show signs of improvement, and at the end of the year, it comes down to Vilma or Mangini, I would rather have Vilma.

Jonathan Vilma is not the centerpiece of a team. He is not a cornerstone to build your franchise around. He is a nice player, but I don't have any problem with dumping him for the benefit of the system and I am actually a big proponent of making the system fit the players.

Vilma is limited. Like Chad he can be successful, but his size is the LB equivalent of a noodle arm.

Jonathan Vilma is not the centerpiece of a team. He is not a cornerstone to build your franchise around. He is a nice player, but I don't have any problem with dumping him for the benefit of the system and I am actually a big proponent of making the system fit the players.

Vilma is limited. Like Chad he can be successful, but his size is the LB equivalent of a noodle arm.

Mangini has now had two years to try and "benefit the system" and he hasn't done jack **** about it. How many players has he brought in that have actually made this defense better? This defense is just as terrible as it was two years ago when Herm was still here. The system isn't working. Vilma was the unit's best asset in the 4-3. We don't have a nose tackle. We don't have a pass rushing outside linebacker. We have nothing. This is a 4-3 team. But Mangini insists on running a scheme that doesn't fit the player's strengths...it just doesn't work. I have no faith that Mangini will bring the right players in. I don't want him gutting the defense so he can bring in the Brad Kassells and Kimos of the world in as their replacements.

Seriously dude you sound "limited". This is the NFL,you can't turn your roster over in one year..Mangini and Tanny are doing the right way and building a team, not throwing around money like fools on overpriced free agents. This thread is a joke!!

Limited? thanks for your expert evaluation.

First of all, he has had 2 seasons to try and build this defence. Secondly, two seasons should be more than enough to at least improve the weak areas. He insisted that Robertson is an athletic NT and that he can do some things that the traditional 3-4 NT monster can't do. What exactly is that? getting blown off the line?

Tell me, what has he done that has improved the defence.

Vilma is barely 6"1" and may be 225 after a big dinner.Compare him to Adalius Thomas, who's probably 6'4", 265-275. He's simply not that big or strong. So far in every game he gets pushed around by guards, and has no lateral movement to break off their block. And based on Lynch faking him out of his shoes even when he was unblocked, he's not that fast. I'm at a loss why anyone perists in this idea that he's a superstar. It's one thing to say he's ill-suited for the 3-4 given his size. But to keep pretending he's much more than an adequate LB is a joke. Whether he lines up in the 3-4 or the 4-3, he's still not very good. Put it this way-the defense this team lines up in matters less than the fact that Vilma and the front 7 don't make many big plays.

Mangini has now had two years to try and "benefit the system" and he hasn't done jack **** about it. How many players has he brought in that have actually made this defense better? This defense is just as terrible as it was two years ago when Herm was still here. The system isn't working. Vilma was the unit's best asset in the 4-3. We don't have a nose tackle. We don't have a pass rushing outside linebacker. We have nothing. This is a 4-3 team. But Mangini insists on running a scheme that doesn't fit the player's strengths...it just doesn't work. I have no faith that Mangini will bring the right players in. I don't want him gutting the defense so he can bring in the Brad Kassells and Kimos of the world in as their replacements.

I'm not in love with the 3-4 or the fact that Mangini doesn't seem to be as adaptable as we'd hoped. I don't like the fact that they used a shotgun approach to bring in a bunch of crappy FAs on D and hope some stuck. In fact, if all the numbnutz on here paid attention I was one of the main guys that didn't start licking Mangini and Tannenbaum's balls simply for not being Herm. I simply said that Vilma IS NOT A CORNERSTONE PLAYER. He is a decent MLB that will rack up tackles and is durable. If Vilma is our best asset in the 4-3 then we suck in the 4-3 too. Guess what, we suck in the 4-3.

Limited? thanks for your expert evaluation.

First of all, he has had 2 seasons to try and build this defence. Secondly, two seasons should be more than enough to at least improve the weak areas. He insisted that Robertson is an athletic NT and that he can do some things that the traditional 3-4 NT monster can't do. What exactly is that? getting blown off the line?

Tell me, what has he done that has improved the defence.

See above. I don't blindly kiss Mangini's ass, I'm just not a simpleton that thinks that by switching to the 4-3 the defensive problems will be solved. Why don't you give me your expert analysis of Vilma? Is he the second coming of Dick Butkus? Go watch a game from '04 or '05 and see if having two DTs in front of meant he was chewing up ballcarriers for a loss. Excuse me if I don't think the entire scheme should be predicated on a midget ILB that does very little other than accumulate tackles.

I think 99% of the people posting this chicken little bull**** got sucked in by the playoff performance last year. This team isn't/wasn't that good. If you thought Mangini was a genius last year and talked smack to Pats fans maybe you should remember that now. So far Mangini seems like a decent coach to me, but not the miracle worker so many people expected. I just hope all his rah rah showing Rocky to pump up the team bull**** didn't grow tired and he'll lose the team. Other than that we all knew they weren't that good.

I'm not in love with the 3-4 or the fact that Mangini doesn't seem to be as adaptable as we'd hoped. I don't like the fact that they used a shotgun approach to bring in a bunch of crappy FAs on D and hope some stuck. In fact, if all the numbnutz on here paid attention I was one of the main guys that didn't start licking Mangini and Tannenbaum's balls simply for not being Herm. I simply said that Vilma IS NOT A CORNERSTONE PLAYER. He is a decent MLB that will rack up tackles and is durable. If Vilma is our best asset in the 4-3 then we suck in the 4-3 too. Guess what, we suck in the 4-3.

See above. I don't blindly kiss Mangini's ass, I'm just not a simpleton that thinks that by switching to the 4-3 the defensive problems will be solved. Why don't you give me your expert analysis of Vilma? Is he the second coming of Dick Butkus? Go watch a game from '04 or '05 and see if having to DTs in front of meant he was chewing up ballcarriers for a loss. Excuse me if I don't think the entire scheme should be predicated on a midget ILB that does very little other than accumulate tackles.

I think 99% of the people posting this chicken little bull**** got sucked in by the playoff performance last year. This team isn't/wasn't that good. If you thought Mangini was a genius last year and talked smack to Pats fans maybe you should remember that now. So far Mangini seems like a decent coach to me, but not the miracle worker so many people expected. I just hope all his rah rah showing Rocky to pump up the team bull**** didn't grow tired and he'll lose the team. Other than that we all knew they weren't that good.

I agree, however, he did not bring in the right players either. I am sure that Tangini are a tandem, they failed to address the NT position. Let's just say that the player they really want is unavailable-or they haven't found him yet...How about brininging someone in that at the very least does not get blown off the line? And why tell the media that you want an athletic NT like Robertson? Robertson cannot and should not play the NT position. 2 years are plenty of time to patch that position until one gets their man. Plus, how have their FA worked out to date? Except for washington and Mangold...how does the draft look to you? DaBustaShaw is never going to be great...He can become an ok player...but does that warrant a 4th overall pick?

You can turn it over, but the problem with Mangini is he had no credibility.

Belichick gutted the roster in his first year and then signed 19 FAs to complete the roster in year two. He also did not have the cap going up 30 million over a two year period. He had a little more credibility built up with Kraft.

Unless Woody and/or Tannebaum would give Mangini a 3-5 year contract with no chance to be fired (i.e. allow him time to rebuild slowly), he had to do it on the fly.

The worst thing for the Jets and best thing for Mangini was last year's success. There were signs of the team reaching it's ceiling, but the team was lost in the glow of a 10-6 season. Teams are going to be reluctant to change.

Just food for thought, Par$ellian/Belichickian LBers do not grow on trees. There is a reason the Patriots LBers are old. You can find big ones. You can find good ones. Big and good are far and few between. It might be good to have that extra cap space when most teams will have spent theirs.

Big Guy, did you watch the game yesterday? Did you see a QB who is confident and the defense is afraid of? Did you see where the Bills LBs were playing? Come on. We have struggled with this Penny crap now for at least 2 years. You have to ask yourself one question, is this a 1-3 team headed south fast, or are we a playoff contending team?

Right now we are with the bottom feeders.

I agree, however, he did not bring in the right players either. I am sure that Tangini are a tandem, they failed to address the NT position. Let's just say that the player they really want is unavailable-or they haven't found him yet...How about brininging someone in that at the very least does not get blown off the line? And why tell the media that you want an athletic NT like Robertson? Robertson cannot and should not play the NT position. 2 years are plenty of time to patch that position until one gets their man. Plus, how have their FA worked out to date? Except for washington and Mangold...how does the draft look to you? DaBustaShaw is never going to be great...He can become an ok player...but does that warrant a 4th overall pick?

My friend, the Jets can win and should have won in the recent past, first it was Herm. Do you think for a moment if we had Cower or Parcells on the side lines instead of Herm, the jets would have been watching the SB on TV instead of playing in it? Even with the crappy Penny at QB?

Now it appears to be Mangini, he is going to stick with this BS 3-4 until when? When we are 1-4, or 2-6? or 3-10? The 3-4 will not work with our current LB's (did you see how our LBs played yesteday, it looked foolish). I said that last year! And I also said last year I don't like Mangini's play calling ability or lack of (i.e. in the Colts game).

And it's not strength of schedule either. That's a load of crap. We played the freakin Bills and we lost, and what about losing to the freakin Browns last year!!. A playoff team that is well prepared and ready to play does not lose that/these/those game(s) period!

My friend, the Jets can win and should have won in the recent past, first it was Herm. Do you think for a moment if we had Cower or Parcells on the side lines instead of Herm, the jets would have been watching the SB on TV instead of playing in it? Even with the crappy Penny at QB?

Now it appears to be Mangini, he is going to stick with this BS 3-4 until when? When we are 1-4, or 2-6? or 3-10? The 3-4 will not work with our current LB's (did you see how our LBs played yesteday, it looked foolish). I said that last year! And I also said last year I don't like Mangini's play calling ability or lack of (i.e. in the Colts game).

And it's not strength of schedule either. That's a load of crap. We played the freakin Bills and we lost, and what about losing to the freakin Browns last year!!. A playoff team that is well prepared and ready to play does not lose that/these/those game(s) period!

When was the last time Bill Parcells fat ass won a super bowl? Cowher has won how many? His mishandling of Ben last year was almost Herm-esque. Stop acting like these guys would fix what is a flawed team. If you want a guy that builds teams and gets to the playoffs you should have hired Marty.

Seriously, you need to pull Cowher's penis out of youre mouth. For 14 years he was considered an underachiever. In fact, there were at least 3 seasons where he, by far and away, had the best roswter in the NFL only to repeatedly blow playoff games.

Seriously, you need to pull Cowher's penis out of youre mouth. For 14 years he was considered an underachiever. In fact, there were at least 3 seasons where he, by far and away, had the best roswter in the NFL only to repeatedly blow playoff games.

Agreed. There are many worse coaches, but I never saw him overachieve with a roster like we've got.

Archived