NFL draft cut from 15 to 10 minutes in first round

BP

NFL draft cut from 15 to 10 minutes in first round

Wednesday, Oct 17, 2007 10:37 am EDT

Lost in the news from Monday regarding NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's musings about a Super Bowl being played on foreign soil is the revelation that the time limit for the first round of the 2008 draft will likely be reduced from 15 minutes to 10 minutes.

The other half of this looming development is that round one will be moved into prime time on Friday night, where the ad revenues (and rights fees) would be much higher.

Source: Profootballtalk.com

link

I like this, I thought the first round took too long anyway. but Friday night?

The other half of this looming development is that round one will be moved into prime time on Friday night, where the ad revenues (and rights fees) would be much higher.

WTF? I always miss parts of the draft because I can't stand sitting at home for an entire Saturday, now these bastards are trying to make me give up Friday night?

This is a TERRIBLE idea. If the teams feel that they need 5 extra minutes a piece that should be the priority. Not extra money.

Sorry if the common fan has to stare at Brady Quinn and his ex-girlfriend (I assume they have broken up by now). It is only 5 minutes per team. But hey, let's rush it so the league can make a little more money.

Bad idea.

This is a TERRIBLE idea. If the teams feel that they need 5 extra minutes a piece that should be the priority. Not extra money.

Sorry if the common fan has to stare at Brady Quinn and his ex-girlfriend (I assume they have broken up by now). It is only 5 minutes per team. But hey, let's rush it so the league can make a little more money.

Bad idea.

Agreed. Particularly since the Jets are going to likely have a favorable draft pick. If we want to make a trade (up or down), it gives us 5 minutes less to make a deal.

This is dumb. I like the draft, and yes it is painfully slow in round one. But the primary purpose of the draft is not entertainment; it's for teams to get the best player or best compensation for their picks.

Best player isn't affected too much. In round one in particular, you know who you're picking as soon as the team before you makes their selection. But if someone unexpectedly drops down & it's not a player we're interested in, we could end up with a heist in a trade. Now you've got 10 minutes instead of 15 to negotiate with multiple teams.

I don't like it.

Moving the 1st round to Friday Night would not be something I would approve of, however I definitely love that they are shortening the 1st round to just 10 minutes. How much freakin' time do you need to choose between a couple of players? It should be done well before the draft started and in those 10 minutes you can choose which one of the few you narrowed it down to fits your franchise best.

I have never understood how they need 15 minutes. Frankly, I think they only need 5. Whatever. 10 is a good medium.

Moving the 1st round to Friday Night would not be something I would approve of, however I definitely love that they are shortening the 1st round to just 10 minutes. How much freakin' time do you need to choose between a couple of players? It should be done well before the draft started and in those 10 minutes you can choose which one of the few you narrowed it down to fits your franchise best.

I have never understood how they need 15 minutes. Frankly, I think they only need 5. Whatever. 10 is a good medium.

It gives them extra time to possibly make trades. I just think the NFL is way off base. I would just as soon not televise this thing and give them an hour each pick if that is what the teams wanted.

They are drafting in April -- the next game at that point isn't until September. I just want them to get it right regardless of how long it takes.

More time to work out trades? You mean to tell me you can't work out a trade or trades from February through April 20-something? It has to be done in 15 minutes on ESPN? I'm not buying that. What is 5 less minutes in a 2 and a half month span?

It gives them extra time to possibly make trades. I just think the NFL is way off base. I would just as soon not televise this thing and give them an hour each pick if that is what the teams wanted.

They are drafting in April -- the next game at that point isn't until September. I just want them to get it right regardless of how long it takes.

Thats why you will never work for the NFL. The NFL is a business and they don't care what the teams want when they can make a lot more money. The Draft has become one of the biggest sporting events in spring and gets higher ratings than lots of competing sports. The NFL is all about making money and making this thing easier on the fans to watch is all they care about when it will lead to money.

More time to work out trades? You mean to tell me you can't work out a trade or trades from February through April 20-something? It has to be done in 15 minutes on ESPN? I'm not buying that. What is 5 less minutes in a 2 and a half month span?

Ridiculous. That works out fine if you have the first pick, or if the first-pick is already known, then the 2nd pick. But no one trades up for a pick lower than that before the draft starts & you actually know who will be available...except Terry Bradway.

This is dumb. I like the draft, and yes it is painfully slow in round one. But the primary purpose of the draft is not entertainment; it's for teams to get the best player or best compensation for their picks.

Bingo. Sperm has bingo.

Ridiculous. That works out fine if you have the first pick, or if the first-pick is already known, then the 2nd pick. But no one trades up for a pick lower than that before the draft starts & you actually know who will be available...except Terry Bradway.

If they all have this do no wrong, always right chart that I keep hearing about about how many picks a certain 1st round pick is worth, then it shouldn't take more than 2 minutes to complete that trade.

I'm just sayin'.:P

If they all have this do no wrong, always right chart that I keep hearing about about how many picks a certain 1st round pick is worth, then it shouldn't take more than 2 minutes to complete that trade.

I'm just sayin'.:P

What's the rush? They can't have 5 extra minutes not to screw it up? This move is being done to increase advertising revenue. Don't lose site of that. It is not being done to help the teams.

Poor Denny Green would have a heart attack with only 10 minutes.

What's the rush? They can't have 5 extra minutes not to screw it up? This move is being done to increase advertising revenue. Don't lose site of that. It is not being done to help the teams.

Poor Denny Green would have a heart attack with only 10 minutes.

Oh I know its for the conveinance of the fans, but I don't see how there is more room for advertisement if the draft is shorter. I don't understand that aspect of it.

The teams should not need more than 5-10 minutes to work out a trade when they all have this great sheet that explains to them the number of picks and in which round(s) the picks need to be sent over for a 1st round draft pick.

Every single team in the Top 10, the place where trades happen most, should have a board of 12 players they would select in place and you let the chips fall in to place.

Oh I know its for the conveinance of the fans, but I don't see how there is more room for advertisement if the draft is shorter. I don't understand that aspect of it.

The teams should not need more than 5-10 minutes to work out a trade when they all have this great sheet that explains to them the number of picks and in which round(s) the picks need to be sent over for a 1st round draft pick.

Every single team in the Top 10, the place where trades happen most, should have a board of 12 players they would select in place and you let the chips fall in to place.

It isn't about more advertisements. It is about getting more per minute because more people are watching with a quicker first round and a prime time slot.

But hey the networks already control everything else. It is not a fantasy draft. They can have all the lists and they do. I'm just saying give them the time they already have in round one.

What makes you think that any draft day trades are done with the first team spoken to? Quite often, maybe even most of the time, a team will negotiate with multiple teams & get the best available deal out of three.

It's not all about chart value, even if all of them adhere to it. Let's say you don't want pick #6. Well you may get offers to trade down with the team at #8, #12, #15, #20, or whatever. Then you need to re-evaluate who is left on the board & which player is the one you just "have to" end up with. He may be expected to go at or around #18. So you can talk to a bunch of teams. Just because you can move down to #8 doesn't mean it's the best deal for you if you'll end up reaching for a player that would have been there (at least) a few slots lower. But if you can't make a deal with the team at #14 then you take the best trade-down offer you've received. 15 minutes gives that #6 team 50% more time to work out a deal.

link

I like this, I thought the first round took too long anyway. but Friday night?

I'm with you on this BP. Friday night normally on television is like Death Valley. 10 min. per pick in the 1st round is LONG overdue IMO. Last year's 1st round was just brutal but Friday night? Fools

I like that they are changing it to 10 minutes. I'm sorry but it should not be that hard to draft a player, especially when you've had several months of preparation for it. Moving it to Friday night is really dumb, who's gonna watch sit around on a Friday night and watch the draft? Not me.

I like that they are changing it to 10 minutes. I'm sorry but it should not be that hard to draft a player, especially when you've had several months of preparation for it. Moving it to Friday night is really dumb, who's gonna watch sit around on a Friday night and watch the draft? Not me.

Exactly. I'm a die hard draft fanatic but Friday night? Get real.

1)They could hold the draft on cristmas-eve and I'd still sit there glued to the television.

2)Moving it to Friday has been long-talked about (PFT). It wouldn't be the first time I've left work early on account of football related business.

3)The preliminary talks (on PFT) had mentioned making the first 1/2 of the first round occur on Friday night, then wrapping up the second half on Saturday morning.

4) Most importantly, NEWS FROM PFT IS NOT THE MOST RELIABLE NEWS!!! In a sick sense PFT actually begets real news. They start rumors, to say that the rumors have become legitimate rumors, to say that they were to first to break the story.

Until I read a reliable source quoting Goddell saying that this decision has been finalized I won't believe it. We might as well sit around discussing Vilma for 1st round pick rumors, and Drob for Suggs, and Chad for Lance Briggs. While we're at it lets move the team to LA in exchange for Darren McFadden and Chad Johnson. Come on guys. At some point you need to call bologne.

1)They could hold the draft on cristmas-eve and I'd still sit there glued to the television.

2)Moving it to Friday has been long-talked about (PFT). It wouldn't be the first time I've left work early on account of football related business.

3)The preliminary talks (on PFT) had mentioned making the first 1/2 of the first round occur on Friday night, then wrapping up the second half on Saturday morning.

4) Most importantly, NEWS FROM PFT IS NOT THE MOST RELIABLE NEWS!!! In a sick sense PFT actually begets real news. They start rumors, to say that the rumors have become legitimate rumors, to say that they were to first to break the story.

Until I read a reliable source quoting Goddell saying that this decision has been finalized I won't believe it. We might as well sit around discussing Vilma for 1st round pick rumors, and Drob for Suggs, and Chad for Lance Briggs. While we're at it lets move the team to LA in exchange for Darren McFadden and Chad Johnson. Come on guys. At some point you need to call bologne.

I gotta doubt that they would be stupid enough to do only HALF of the 1st round on Friday night. They would instantly, in theory, lose 1/2 their audience. Think any Steeler, Colt or Patsie fan etc. would tune in?

Read the PFT site. That's exactly why the rumor sites need not be posted on these threads without merit.

However, to dispute your claim, some teams do move up to select players in the first hald of the draft. He hmm. With the fourteenth pick, the Jets select.....

I seriously doubt any Steeler or Colt fan would watch it live in the hope that teir team moves up to the top 1/2 of the draft.

What makes you think that any draft day trades are done with the first team spoken to? Quite often, maybe even most of the time, a team will negotiate with multiple teams & get the best available deal out of three.

It's not all about chart value, even if all of them adhere to it. Let's say you don't want pick #6. Well you may get offers to trade down with the team at #8, #12, #15, #20, or whatever. Then you need to re-evaluate who is left on the board & which player is the one you just "have to" end up with. He may be expected to go at or around #18. So you can talk to a bunch of teams. Just because you can move down to #8 doesn't mean it's the best deal for you if you'll end up reaching for a player that would have been there (at least) a few slots lower. But if you can't make a deal with the team at #14 then you take the best trade-down offer you've received. 15 minutes gives that #6 team 50% more time to work out a deal.

You need to have tunnel vision and focus only on the Jets. Shortening the time gives us less of a window to deal multiple picks to move up a few spots in the draft. For a team with so many holes, that is a good thing.

You need to have tunnel vision and focus only on the Jets. Shortening the time gives us less of a window to deal multiple picks to move up a few spots in the draft. For a team with so many holes, that is a good thing.

if we end up with #1 or 2 pick and pass on Run DMC to trade down

and get 3 bodies of which 2 may be adeqaute and 1 is out of league in 2 years.. this franchise deserves to lose 4ever.

A franchise player is worth hisr weight in gold and are gamebreakers!!

I hear you, but I don't know what they're trend is. Other than I saw the following: in a strong 2006 draft, the Jets tried to trade down when possible. In a weak 2007 draft, the Jets tried to trade up when possible.

Ultimately, I wouldn't want rules set up to stop the Jets from stupidity, with the assumption that they're dumber now than everyone else.

Next year there is a strong chance the following 2007 Jets players will not be on the team:

QB Pennington (even Mangini would have to acknowledge this with his cap # plus strong chance of demotion to #2) - $8M cap #

QB Tui (for what it's worth) - FA

FB Barnes - hasn't done/played much

WR McCareins - $4M cap #

TE Pociask - hasn't done/played much

OT Jones - FA

OG Clarke - FA

OT Clement - FA

NT Robertson - $9M cap #

OLB Hobson - FA

ILB Barton - $4M cap #

CB Barrett - $4M cap #

CB Coleman - hasn't done/played much

CB Poteat - FA

FS Coleman - I think may also be a FA

HB#3 - ? - (we don't have one)

I can't see them doing a whole lot of trading multiple picks to move up in the '08 draft.

15 minutes gives that #6 team 50% more time to work out a deal.

Sperm, I thought you were the numbers guru. How is cutting 15 minutes to 10 minutes cutting 50% of the time?;-)

5 x 15 = 75

5 x 10 = 50

75 - 50 = 25

Do we need to continue?

Archived