NY State wants Jeter to come clean on taxes / Jeter Jeter tax cheater [merged]

GimmeShelter

New York state tax officials want Derek Jeter to pay hundreds of thousands -- possibly even millions of dollars -- in back taxes and interest for the years 2001 to 2003, when he claimed Florida residency despite spending the bulk of his time in New York.

An administrative judge's ruling shows that Jeter has claimed Florida residency since 1994. New York state isn't going back that far, but it does want it's cut from Jeter's check from after be bought a $13 million apartment in Manhattan. Jeter made $34 million in salary from 2001 through 2003 and likely millions more in endorsements.

Source: FOXNews.com

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-nyjete165463025nov16,0,6338721.story

Tax dispute could cost Jeter millions

BY KARLA SCHUSTER

karla.schuster@newsday.com

November 16, 2007

yankees;ptype=ps;slug=ny-nyjete165463025nov16;rg=ur;ref=newsdaycom;pos=1;dcopt=ist;sz=300x250;tile=1;ord=80264315?

Yankee shortstop Derek Jeter, known for making the rounds at the city's hot spots, is on the hot seat with New York State, which says he owes back taxes because he claimed he lived in Florida when he was really a resident of the Big Apple.

The dispute centers on the years 2001 to 2003 and could cost Jeter millions of dollars if he loses. During those years, Jeter, who has owned an apartment at Trump World Plaza in Manhattan since 2001, claimed his primary residence was in Tampa, where he also owns a home, according to documents from the state Division of Tax Appeals.

Florida has no personal income tax, while both New York State and New York City do. The state claims that Jeter "keeps certain personal items near and dear" in his $12.7-million New York City apartment, and that "he has immersed himself in the New York community," according to an administrative law judge's ruling in the case. The case is pending, with new filings due by Sunday.

As much a fixture in the Manhattan nightlife scene as he is as shortstop in the Bronx, Jeter has squired stars such as Mariah Carey and Jessica Biel.

Jeter is not accused of lying about living in Florida to evade taxes, which is why the state is seeking taxes and interest, but no penalties.

Instead of arguing that Jeter is a New York resident based on the rule that he spent at least 183 days of the year in the state, tax officials contend that his ties to New York are so strong that this qualifies as his "primary residence."

Professional athletes, actors and major chief executives often maintain multiple residences, claiming their primary residence is in states such as Florida that have no personal income tax. Yet, many pay income tax to multiple states, based on the number of days they work there. For example, baseball players might pay income tax to several states, depending on how many days they play in a particular city.

That means that instead of just paying taxes on his Yankee income, Jeter would have to pony up taxes for all his income, including endorsements and appearances that easily double his baseball salary.

"What the state is saying is that he's a New Yorker at heart and because he has some important things here in his apartment, even if he's here only 30 days, he's a New Yorker," said John Lieberman, a certified public accountant with the firm Perelson Weiner in New York City, which advises athletes and entertainers.

"New York State is phenomenally aggressive on this kind of thing and Derek Jeter - I think they're making a test case out of it for athletes, actors and CEOs, people with multiple residences," Lieberman said.

Jeter, through his attorney, says the state's case is "so vague as to be almost meaningless," according to the ruling. The lawyer representing Jeter in the case, Maria T. Jones of Manhattan - a former commissioner of the New York State Tax Appeals Tribunal herself - could not be reached for comment last night.

A spokesman for the city Department of Finance referred all inquiries to the state Division of Taxation and Finance, which could not be reached for comment last night.

The Yankees did not return calls.

Jeter has apparently claimed Tampa as his primary residence since 1994, the year before he joined the Yankees.

Copyright

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-nyjete165463025nov16,0,6338721.story

Tax dispute could cost Jeter millions

BY KARLA SCHUSTER

karla.schuster@newsday.com

November 16, 2007

yankees;ptype=ps;slug=ny-nyjete165463025nov16;rg=ur;ref=newsdaycom;pos=1;dcopt=ist;sz=300x250;tile=1;ord=80264315?

Yankee shortstop Derek Jeter, known for making the rounds at the city's hot spots, is on the hot seat with New York State, which says he owes back taxes because he claimed he lived in Florida when he was really a resident of the Big Apple.

The dispute centers on the years 2001 to 2003 and could cost Jeter millions of dollars if he loses. During those years, Jeter, who has owned an apartment at Trump World Plaza in Manhattan since 2001, claimed his primary residence was in Tampa, where he also owns a home, according to documents from the state Division of Tax Appeals.

Florida has no personal income tax, while both New York State and New York City do. The state claims that Jeter "keeps certain personal items near and dear" in his $12.7-million New York City apartment, and that "he has immersed himself in the New York community," according to an administrative law judge's ruling in the case. The case is pending, with new filings due by Sunday.

As much a fixture in the Manhattan nightlife scene as he is as shortstop in the Bronx, Jeter has squired stars such as Mariah Carey and Jessica Biel.

Jeter is not accused of lying about living in Florida to evade taxes, which is why the state is seeking taxes and interest, but no penalties.

Instead of arguing that Jeter is a New York resident based on the rule that he spent at least 183 days of the year in the state, tax officials contend that his ties to New York are so strong that this qualifies as his "primary residence."

Professional athletes, actors and major chief executives often maintain multiple residences, claiming their primary residence is in states such as Florida that have no personal income tax. Yet, many pay income tax to multiple states, based on the number of days they work there. For example, baseball players might pay income tax to several states, depending on how many days they play in a particular city.

That means that instead of just paying taxes on his Yankee income, Jeter would have to pony up taxes for all his income, including endorsements and appearances that easily double his baseball salary.

"What the state is saying is that he's a New Yorker at heart and because he has some important things here in his apartment, even if he's here only 30 days, he's a New Yorker," said John Lieberman, a certified public accountant with the firm Perelson Weiner in New York City, which advises athletes and entertainers.

"New York State is phenomenally aggressive on this kind of thing and Derek Jeter - I think they're making a test case out of it for athletes, actors and CEOs, people with multiple residences," Lieberman said.

Jeter, through his attorney, says the state's case is "so vague as to be almost meaningless," according to the ruling. The lawyer representing Jeter in the case, Maria T. Jones of Manhattan - a former commissioner of the New York State Tax Appeals Tribunal herself - could not be reached for comment last night.

A spokesman for the city Department of Finance referred all inquiries to the state Division of Taxation and Finance, which could not be reached for comment last night.

The Yankees did not return calls.

Jeter has apparently claimed Tampa as his primary residence since 1994, the year before he joined the Yankees.

Copyright

And if it goes to court here is where NY will lose

His ties are NY are so strong that this qualifies as his primary residence ?

Are you kidding ?

They should have just went by the 183 days of the year in the state rule.

Go with facts please not that "he's a New Yorker at heart" Why isn't he a Michiganite at heart since he spent most of his life there growing up ?

Don't get me wrong. I worked in NYC for 3 years and paid income taxes for both New Jersey and New York but the way the are bringing this "He's a New Yorker at heart" is going to get them killed.

Already covered, Spermy. Try to keep up. Your clock management is about as good as that of your namesake.

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45542

Jerky. I'll merge them.

Still doesn't excuse it. Clearly he lives here. He bought a piece of property in Florida & now he's a "Florida resident"?

This has nothing to do with the (agreed) weak & silly "He's a NY'er at heart." It's that he's skipping out on taxes that everyone else in NY pays. And why? b/c he's rich enough to buy property in another state with no income tax.

So the next time this phoney is shaking hands with low-paid public servants, he should consider the $1M+/yr in income tax that he's cheating the city out of & the $2M+/yr he's cheating the state out of. Money that could be used to prevent plenty of layoffs for people who buy tickets to watch this scumbag play a friggin' game & get treated like royalty everywhere he goes.

If he wasn't a Yankee, no one would disagree. We all pay our taxes, but this dirtbag & his $28M/yr income doesn't have to?

He should be in jail. The whole world knows he doesn't live in Florida.

This is kinda my business.

He has a house in Tampa. The Yanks train in Tampa. He lives in NYC only when the Yanks are home during the season . If he can take advantage of the tax laws to screw Elliot Sptizer out of some cash, good for him. Many retirees in NY do this and it breaks no laws. Is Jeter somehow different because he's famous? One more thing to like about him.

New York state is run by imbeciles. This is the same bunch who were shocked, shocked that they raised taxes on cigarettes only to see cigarette tax revenues drop like a stone(the internet, New Jersey and Indian reservations apparenlty never figured in their math); had Tax Department jerks on company time staking out malls in New Jersey for NY tags to send sales tax vouchers to citizens seeking to save some money; and sought just this week to tax all internet sales(which thankfully was quickly rejected). It has been bad forever, and bad by both parties. They have set up a system that punishes people who work and make money and rewards those who don't. That Jeter avails himself of avoiding such silliness further shows that he's on the ball.

Some day soon Wall Street will figure out with broadband it no longer physically needs to be in NYC. And then look out. The power to tax is the power to destroy. Crazy idea-cut spending and fire a whole bunch of those go getters in DMV, Albany bureaucrats and those guys in the orange vests drinking coffee while they close 2 lanes of every highway to jerk off. Love your country; fear your government.

This is kinda my business.

He has a house in Tampa. The Yanks train in Tampa. He lives in NYC only when the Yanks are home during the season . If he can take advantage of the tax laws to screw Elliot Sptizer out of some cash, good for him. Many retirees in NY do this and it breaks no laws. Is Jeter somehow different because he's famous? One more thing to like about him.

New York state is run by imbeciles. This is the same bunch who were shocked, shocked that they raised taxes on cigarettes only to see cigarette tax revenues drop like a stone(the internet, New Jersey and Indian reservations apparenlty never figured in their math); had Tax Department jerks on company time staking out malls in New Jersey for NY tags to send sales tax vouchers to citizens seeking to save some money; and sought just this week to tax all internet sales(which thankfully was quickly rejected). It has been bad forever, and bad by both parties. They have set up a system that punishes people who work and make money and rewards those who don't. That Jeter avails himself of avoiding such silliness further shows that he's on the ball.

Some day soon Wall Street will figure out with broadband it no longer physically needs to be in NYC. And then look out. The power to tax is the power to destroy. Crazy idea-cut spending and fire a whole bunch of those go getters in DMV, Albany bureaucrats and those guys in the orange vests drinking coffee while they close 2 lanes of every highway to jerk off. Love your country; fear your government.

Loopholes be damned, and I'm not suggesting your expertise in the law is at all incorrect, clearly Jeter's primary residence is in NYC.

Baseball season is over & it's not spring training. So he's not "working" anywhere right now. And he lives...guess where? Right here in NYC. Explain to me the logic in allowing him to claim Florida as his primary residence when he's in NY well over the 183 (more than half of 365) days per year.

Loopholes be damned, and I'm not suggesting your expertise in the law is at all incorrect, clearly Jeter's primary residence is in NYC.

Baseball season is over & it's not spring training. So he's not "working" anywhere right now. And he lives...guess where? Right here in NYC. Explain to me the logic in allowing him to claim Florida as his primary residence when he's in NY well over the 183 (more than half of 365) days per year.

I remember when Philadelphia (an I know other municipalities have tried or even do this), wanted to tax any player of any sport, a percentage of their salary for teh amount of time that they "perform" in Philadelphia sport venues.

I am foggy as to the details,and I believe it got struck down.

I remember when Philadelphia (an I know other municipalities have tried or even do this), wanted to tax any player of any sport, a percentage of their salary for teh amount of time that they "perform" in Philadelphia sport venues.

I am foggy as to the details,and I believe it got struck down.

Michigan pulled the same stunt. I can recall Willie Randolph having to write a big check for games he played against the Tigers.

Every person who has property in Florida will do whatever they can to claim it their primary residence. There is no state income tax. That is the main reason why Senior Citizens migrate there as well just long enough to claim it as their primary residence. Anybody who has the opportunity to do this would be an idiot not to. The state is going to have to physically prove Jeter is here for 183 days or more. They have no chance.

Shall I go through the list of Celebs in Orlando and Miami who claim residency here?

Shall I go through the list of Celebs in Orlando and Miami who claim residency here?

Should murder be legal because OJ got away with it? Should killing someone while driving drunk not be prosecuted because Leonard Little didn't spend his best years in jail also? You're one of my favorite posters here & at theg********.com (lol), but man that's a dumb reason to rationalize it.

Call it whatever softie name you want, but this is TAX EVASION. He lives here; he lived here; he knew it; you know it; everyone knows it. They threw that witch Leona Helmsley in jail for tax evasion & this greedy slimeball is no better; just that he's a popular sports figure with a cute face.

You have to pay your taxes. Nobody LIKES paying them. This country has made these people wealthy beyond the means or necessity of any rational human being. And that's not enough? They need to escape state taxes that are paid by every teenager trying to pick up a couple of bucks by folding clothes at Baby Gap; by every sanitation worker who goes home stinking of other peoples' refuse; by me & every friend and family member of mine who is honest, hardworking, and law-abiding.

Screw these people. They should have to pay like the rest of us. They are no better than you or I; they just happen to be lucky enough that their particular skill pays better - way better - than other skills that are, frankly, far more essential to society.

I have no problem with him making $20 million, $30 million, whatever; I'm not paying him. But he is essentially suggesting that he's somehow deserving of even MORE by this despicable side-stepping of the laws we "little people" are bound to. And we ARE paying for THAT. Because taxes must be raised on thousands of others who might actually NEED the extra couple of bucks to subsidize this lowlife by making up for the revenue lost by his "Florida residency" bullsh*t. Because the money he skirted paying would be more than enough to cover the salaries of the employees of 10 firehouses.

The state & city should go after him, make him pay it with maximal penalties, and pursue him criminally. He should be made an example of. Because it is public. Because he got caught.

Should murder be legal because OJ got away with it? Should killing someone while driving drunk not be prosecuted because Leonard Little didn't spend his best years in jail also? You're one of my favorite posters here & at theg********.com (lol), but man that's a dumb reason to rationalize it.

Call it whatever softie name you want, but this is TAX EVASION. He lives here; he lived here; he knew it; you know it; everyone knows it. They threw that witch Leona Helmsley in jail for tax evasion & this greedy slimeball is no better; just that he's a popular sports figure with a cute face.

You have to pay your taxes. Nobody LIKES paying them. This country has made these people wealthy beyond the means or necessity of any rational human being. And that's not enough? They need to escape state taxes that are paid by every teenager trying to pick up a couple of bucks by folding clothes at Baby Gap; by every sanitation worker who goes home stinking of other peoples' refuse; by me & every friend and family member of mine who is honest, hardworking, and law-abiding.

Screw these people. They should have to pay like the rest of us. They are no better than you or I; they just happen to be lucky enough that their particular skill pays better - way better - than other skills that are, frankly, far more essential to society.

I have no problem with him making $20 million, $30 million, whatever; I'm not paying him. But he is essentially suggesting that he's somehow deserving of even MORE by this despicable side-stepping of the laws we "little people" are bound to. And we ARE paying for THAT. Because taxes must be raised on thousands of others who might actually NEED the extra couple of bucks to subsidize this lowlife by making up for the revenue lost by his "Florida residency" bullsh*t. Because the money he skirted paying would be more than enough to cover the salaries of the employees of 10 firehouses.

The state & city should go after him, make him pay it with maximal penalties, and pursue him criminally. He should be made an example of. Because it is public. Because he got caught.

Between spirng training, the offseason and games vs. the Rays, he arguably lives in Tampa over 195 days a year. He can lawfully claim to be a Florida resident.Sptizer should be ashamed for knocking a guy who's been charitable and a credit to the community in every way

Ulitimately this a a much bigger question-how is it that the state of Florida has no income tax, and the state of NY has a confiscatory income tax? Why is Jeter being targeted, while nobody questions the fiscal stupidity and incompetence of NY state's government? If this state was run properly(like Florida apaprenly manages to do) no one would bother playing these silly games.And bigger than that-what happens when Wall Street figure out they no longer have to be here to be raped by socialist douchebags like Eliot Spitzer(and Pataki and Cuomo before him) playing these class warfare nonsense games?

Between spirng training, the offseason and games vs. the Rays, he arguably lives in Tampa over 195 days a year. He can lawfully claim to be a Florida resident.Sptizer should be ashamed for knocking a guy who's been charitable and a credit to the community in every way

Ulitimately this a a much bigger question-how is it that the state of Florida has no income tax, and the state of NY has a confiscatory income tax? Why is Jeter being targeted, while nobody questions the fiscal stupidity and incompetence of NY state's government? If this state was run properly(like Florida apaprenly manages to do) no one would bother playing these silly games.And bigger than that-what happens when Wall Street figure out they no longer have to be here to be raped by socialist douchebags like Eliot Spitzer(and Pataki and Cuomo before him) playing these class warfare nonsense games?

He does not live in Tampa 195 days a year unless suddenly a year consisted of over 500 days.

He's down there two months out of twelve. He's here the other 10. He is a resident of New York City.

No argument on Elliot Scumbag & co. But that's not the point. I pay my taxes, you pay yours, etc. Why is Derek Jeter, ultra-gazillionaire, absolved from paying taxes to a city and state that has made him a wealthy, wealthy man?

Charitable to the community my ass, though. His millions that he effectively stole from the city/state would pay for a hell of a lot more than the little PR things where there's always a camera present.

He's slime. The fact that there are also OTHER people as bad or worse does not cease to make him such.

He does not live in Tampa 195 days a year unless suddenly a year consisted of over 500 days.

He's down there two months out of twelve. He's here the other 10. He is a resident of New York City.

No argument on Elliot Scumbag & co. But that's not the point. I pay my taxes, you pay yours, etc. Why is Derek Jeter, ultra-gazillionaire, absolved from paying taxes to a city and state that has made him a wealthy, wealthy man?

Charitable to the community my ass, though. His millions that he effectively stole from the city/state would pay for a hell of a lot more than the little PR things where there's always a camera present.

He's slime. The fact that there are also OTHER people as bad or worse does not cease to make him such.

Sperm-

I have the highest respect for you. We'll just agree to disagree, and leave it at that.

I hear ya. I hate when guys like Bruce Springsteen advertise their charity benefits. It's money they otherwise would have coughed up to Uncle Sam, it's nothing more than a tax write off. The every day Joe who gets a standard deduction who mails a few hundred bucks in charitable donations actually gives more.

Sperm-

I have the highest respect for you. We'll just agree to disagree, and leave it at that.

I'd hate to get into a feisty argument with either of you guys, 'cos I have the highest respect for both of you as well.

Let me guess, Players from the Magic, Heat, Dolphins, 2 from the Marlins, Tennis Players, Golfers....

Now Jeter may spend a good bit of time in Tampa in the off season, but between all his trips bangin broads all over the world, there is no way he is in Tampa more days than NY, what I would like to know is where A-Rod and the rest of the Yankees and Mets claim residency, how many of them use states with no income taxes? They are here a minimum of 81 days a year....

If ARod did this, you people would be gathering a lynch mob.

I doubt anyone here shed a single tear for the queen of mean when she went to jail for tax evasion. A crime is a crime. The offender's popularity and/or personality shouldn't play into it.

Derek Jeter gets enough special/royalty-like treatment in his life - as a NEW YORK RESIDENT - as it is. It's not enough for this insatiable greedmeister? He needs to pocket an extra few mil-plus that would pay for two elementary schools' full teacher faculties? F**k him. It would be freakin' awesome if he was made an example by the gov't & sent to jail.

Archived