dd 1 round mock

bitonti

because the Jets need a right tackle not a left one i think they can fill the need in free agency or in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

also I think planning to trade down is a gutless move. It's the easy way out.

The way i see it they will almost definately have to make the pick. should C Long (or Dorsey, J Long) don't make it down this is my Jets short list for so called "reaches" at 6.

DE Derrick Harvey, Florida

LB Dan Connor, Penn St

S Kenny Phillips. Miami

note i put "reaches" in quotes. It wasn't too long ago the Patriots were picking 6 and "reached" for a player projected to go in the 20's. That player was Richard Seymour.

I pray that the QBs go that early, and that would allow some other players to slip.

I just don't see it though.

Parcells is too smart to take a qb that early, when that is not where that player should properly be slotted. That would be a Bradway move.

I hope you are right.

i've been thinking about this alot. And several facts came to light. Condon pulls Ryan out of the Senior Bowl - why would he do that? The answer "because he's stupid" doesn't hold water. No that man is calculating and while he might overvalue his players he must have some real reason to believe Ryan is worth a top 5 pick. Condon is the most powerful and well connected agent in the NFL. He knows everyone and everyone knows him. He actually had a side deal with Quinn to go to the Raiders last year but Al Davis lowballed him and negotiations broke down. so all this leads to could he have something worked out with Tuna already? Here's Frank Croyle's article today on Ryan, also a good read.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=763205

i've been thinking about this alot. And several facts came to light. Condon pulls Ryan out of the Senior Bowl - why would he do that? The answer "because he's stupid" doesn't hold water. No that man is calculating and while he might overvalue his players he must have some real reason to believe Ryan is worth a top 5 pick. Condon is the most powerful and well connected agent in the NFL. He knows everyone and everyone knows him. He actually had a side deal with Quinn to go to the Raiders last year but Al Davis lowballed him and negotiations broke down. so all this leads to could he have something worked out with Tuna already? Here's Frank Croyle's article today on Ryan, also a good read.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=763205

Thanks a lot for the article.

From what I have seen of Ryan, he reminds me of a smarter, better Glen Foley. ASnd I say that and mean it in a good way.

The obvious connections are BC and being Northeast bred QB's, but I think they process teh game very similarly.

It is a shame that Foley never worked out better than he did. I thought he brought a lot to the position.

Couple things I see that won't happen in this draft. First Parcells is not going to draft a QB he is not there for the long haul, I don't think Ryan is a Peyton, Palmer type that would turn them around quickly. The Falcons will not draft Brohm, they don't want anything to do will Petrino. I would like to see the Jets get Long I think it would be a good fit.

Good mock, guys. But a couple of things that caught my eye:

Marion Barber is not a full time running back? Says who? I love Mendenhall, but not for the Cowboys.

I dont think the Bills go with another safety - remember they took Whitner in the top 10, 2 years ago. It's possible ala Redskins w/Taylor & Landry, but I dont see it happening.

I cant see the top 6 going like that w/Chris Long slipping to the Jets.

Good mock, guys. But a couple of things that caught my eye:

Marion Barber is not a full time running back? Says who? I love Mendenhall, but not for the Cowboys.

I dont think the Bills go with another safety - remember they took Whitner in the top 10, 2 years ago. It's possible ala Redskins w/Taylor & Landry, but I dont see it happening.

I cant see the top 6 going like that w/Chris Long slipping to the Jets.

Thats a good point, but heres something to think about. Barbers glaring weakness(and at that, his only real weakness), is that lack of burst speed. It was VERY noticable during the Giants game IMO, as he broke free at least twice and got caught from behind. There aren't a ton of holes on this team, and seeing as most of the great teams have more than one back--I don't think this is a bad pick by any means. They could maybe pickup a CB or something else, but why not? Mendenhall is very talented.

Nice job, Matt...I agree with the majority of the picks.

But I think, as I said, you are overrating a few of the junior WR's.....

For example, the teen crowd that run most of draft sites and breaks no objective news, have made Malcolm Kelly a top 10 pick....they get starry-eyed when they see him, sort of the way Beavis & Butthead felt weak in the knees when they saw Todd Ianuzzi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Ianuzzi

But all the objective comments I've seen from actual N.F.L. scouts is he's a 2nd or 3rd round pick....Oklahoma coaches even warned him to stay, because he could be a 4th rounder, if he runs as they expect.

I suppose if he shows up at the Combine and burns up the track, he'll be fine as a first round possiblity, but scouts doubt his speed.

P.S: I think you are underrating Sam Baker. I realize he has the stigma of being a blue collar type, who is a better fit at RT, but teams like the Giants/Colts/Chargers/Packers and Patriots have built there offensives around lineman like that.

P.S 2X: Again, good job.....Most of the picks can't be argued with.

If I had to predict something right now, I'd say the phins go with Chris Long at #1 if they cannot trade down.

I agree, I think he is the best player in the draft.

Can't see why Parcells would go with Ryan, especially because he has a reputation of going after veteran QB's. That was also a good point about Marion Barber, not only do I tgink he could be a capable starter, I think he's a top 5 RB in the NFL. He really is that good.

I can't see any way Long slips that far, he is way too good to go at 6. I still hope we trade down and aqquire more picks to help fill our needs, there are absolutely no glaring studs for our team that will be available at #6 I'm afraid.

if we get Chris Long, you will get a big smooch

too good to be true!!!!!!

I guess it will be a good outcome for the jets but I am concerned that he will have to play OLB - I guess he'll some sort of hybrid OLB/DE. Still, I worry about it.

Great Mock! I think the Tuna will play his normal games. He may try to get someone to give him a boatload of picks and failing that he eventually takes Ryan #1 overall just like he did with Bledsoe.

If the draft fell this way for the JETS I would be pumped for the coming season. Chris Long has everything we want in a football player.

Bit- do you not see Michael Oher as a top pick...he did declare right?

He declared, then changed his mind and opted out....Oher was recently adopted by some former New Jersey Nets draft pick (Sean Tuohy-sp?), who is now an announcer for the Memphis Grizzlies and very rich.....word is Tuohy is pulling the "finish school angle"?

That is silly thinking. That would be like the Jets not drafting anyone out of Virginia, because of Groh. (They did wth DBrick).

Smart people don't hold grudges.

Its been a couple years since Groh, and if Petrino was still there they would. The Falcons need a new way of thinking anyway

If the Jets take Chris Long I will pull a Craig Carton and walk across a bridge in a tight speedo and a Jets jersey that is a size smaller than what I usually wear. Not going to happen, this front office is not that stupid.

If the Jets take Chris Long I will pull a Craig Carton and walk across a bridge in a tight speedo and a Jets jersey that is a size smaller than what I usually wear. Not going to happen, this front office is not that stupid.

Long is a player-- great motor and pedigree..that said he will not go past

OAk

Afo's 1st 5

1. Dal via MIa MCfadden

2. STL Jake Long

3. OAk Chris Long

4. Atl Matt Ryan

5. KC Dorsey

6. Jets ???? Maybe you can trade down for team wanting Brohm

Long is a player my arse.

280 lbs = 43 NFL DE, not a 34 NFL DE. Yes you can do that in college, but not in the Pro's. Sorry. He's too small for our defense.

I think the Jets would use him the way they use Brian Thomas, as a hybrid OLB who would sometimes lineup at scrimmage to help contain the edge. But I agree that he's no sure thing in Mangini's defense.

Bit, as much as I wish you were right, Malcom Kelly (#22 to the Cowboys in your mock) played for Oklahoma, not A&M. Had he played for us, we might have won a few more games.

Thanks for the mock; very interesting. I would hate to see Phillips in Buffalo; he's gonna be a great safety.

Archived