Why is it assumed that David Wright is going to be a star?

Matt39

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please....if this guy was a Yankee we would have to get a bigger server to handle the Yankee fans posts!!!

I mean come on Matt, we had a freakin Melky Cabrera thread yesterday.

PLEASE ... don't even compare David Wright to Melky Cabrera

Melky is a five tool player ... Wright is just a tool

But to answer your question, Matt ... Wright is just another over-hyped Met ... remember when Rey Ordonez was the next Ozzie Smith? :lol:

No one's been saying(at least from what I've been seeing) that Melky Cabrera is going to be a star.

No ones even saying that Cano is going to be a star.

This is what's said of David Wright, "oh this kid has star written all over him"

Is he a nice player? yes. Superstar? Wayyyy too early to tell.

He's been an average hitter this season and below average in the field.

To give a serious answer -I have not seen anyone saying he is going to be the next superstar- just that he can be a very good and productive player for many years to come. He needs to keep improving but he has the talent to be very good

No ones been saying(at leadt from what I've been seeing) that Melky Cabrera is going to be a star.

Thi sis what's said of David Wright, "oh this kid has star written all over him"

Is he a nice player, yes. Superstar? Wayyyy too early to tell.

1. If not for Wang, Cano would be the slam-dunk ROY

2. Melky is clearly a five tool player

3. David Wright reminds me of Mike Pagliarulo ... cept Pags had a much better glove :mrgreen:

No ones been saying(at leadt from what I've been seeing) that Melky Cabrera is going to be a star.

Thi sis what's said of David Wright, "oh this kid has star written all over him"

Is he a nice player, yes. Superstar? Wayyyy too early to tell.

Correct too early to tell but that has been mainly media hype.

He has been better than Cano though yet the Al Yazeera YES network goes nuts over Cano.

In the mean time Wright does however have comparable numbers too Jeter this season in a much worse line-up while hitting from the 7 hole. I believe you guys called for Jeter to be a All-Star no??

Wright hits for avg....has power and steals bases.

Defense needs work. Pags was a one or two year wonder and if I recall a .240ish hitter.

Melky has zero speed as reported on last nights game.

Okay, I stand corrected ... he has FOUR TOOLS

But Melky has the upside for that 5th tool if he eases up on the rice & beans :mrgreen:

Wright's 21 and he's been hitting like an above average 3rd baseman. He's also a really nice kid. He should develop into a very good player. It's impossible to tell who will become a "star" and who won't, but he should be very good.

Of course, that's if his defense doesn't get him moved to first base. Then he'd only be an average first baseman.

David Wright, IMO, has superstar written all over him as a hitter. I like watching him play, he takes a great approach towards each at bat.

Melky has speed, he's not in the class of Jeter in terms of speed, but he covers alot of ground in center.

1. If not for Wang, Cano would be the slam-dunk ROY

2. Melky is clearly a five tool player

3. David Wright reminds me of Mike Pagliarulo ... cept Pags had a much better glove :mrgreen:

Seriously Ham, its statements like these that lower your status on the baseball forum...Wright is a great hitter and if you watched any tape on him you will see his hitting can be super. Its ridiculous to even mention pags when comparing him to Wright. Take off your yank sunglasses.

LL

PLEASE ... don't even compare David Wright to Melky Cabrera

Melky is a five tool player ... Wright is just a tool

But to answer your question, Matt ... Wright is just another over-hyped Met ... remember when Rey Ordonez was the next Ozzie Smith? :lol:

Ahh yes, because Melky Cabrera has accomplished SO MUCH at the major league level.

GJ & H, I liked you much better when you stayed in the football forum.

I thought this about Wright before this season. All the problems that Reyes had made me think the Mets had another 80's PR machine going (hyping players).

But having seen this kid play he is the real deal. He is going to be a star in the Scott Rolen mode. IMO the Mets don't have to worry about 3B for a LONG, LONG time.

I haven't been this confident in a 3B since Aaron Boone homered against Boston in the ALCS. :D

Why?? Shelton has the same power numbers AND a much better batting avg in 100 less AB's.

That is true.

But Cano plays in NY and he's getting alot more publicity, not to mention Shelton will not finish anywhere near that .335 batting average he has going right now, I could be wrong, but I'd ask myself "Who the f**k is Chris Shelton??" :lol:

Wright is showing that he will be SOLID 3B and he is getting a lot of buzz from fantasy experts who eyeball numbers in great detail. He is a keeper.

Bro just because you are in 1st place by like 800 points doesn't mean you know fantasy baseball. :wink:

That is true.

But Cano plays in NY and he's getting alot more publicity, not to mention Shelton will not finish anywhere near that .335 batting average he has going right now, I could be wrong, but I'd ask myself "Who the f**k is Chris Shelton??" :lol:

Just because a player plays in a particular city shouldn't be enough reason to warrant giving someone a ROY. Granted, making the case for Cano having more ABs is ok, Shelton can't really do much about that because he had Pena in front of him up to about a month ago. But I wouldn't bet on Shelton's BA dropping below .300 this year. He's got one helluva an eye and can crush the ball a mile. He's one problem right now has been that he is so great on offense but sub-par on D. But the defense will improve in time. Hopefully, Shelton will be our first baseman for a long time, but I definitely think he should be considered for ROY.

Just because a player plays in a particular city shouldn't be enough reason to warrant giving someone a ROY. Granted, making the case for Cano having more ABs is ok, Shelton can't really do much about that because he had Pena in front of him up to about a month ago. But I wouldn't bet on Shelton's BA dropping below .300 this year. He's got one helluva an eye and can crush the ball a mile. He's one problem right now has been that he is so great on offense but sub-par on D. But the defense will improve in time. Hopefully, Shelton will be our first baseman for a long time, but I definitely think he should be considered for ROY.

MAv:

You know this already but there is a LONG way to go. Especially when we are talking about rookies. Both these guys have a huge challenge in front of them.

Let's see who they all fair when they face teams for the 2nd\3rd time.

MAv:

You know this already but there is a LONG way to go. Especially when we are talking about rookies. Both these guys have a huge challenge in front of them.

Let's see who they all fair when they face teams for the 2nd\3rd time.

Completely agree. Still a long way to go. Not saying Shelton, or Cano for that matter, will finish the season batting .330+, but from what I've seen so far, there's nothing to suggest they couldn't finish at least at .300 by season's end.

You know who else is a "five tool player"? Corey Patterson.

Don't count your chickens before the eggs have fertilized.

Personally, as for Wright, I think will be a very solid player, perhaps like a Troy Glaus without the steroids. And as for Cabrera, can we wait until he has more than one game under his belt before we annoint him the next Kenny Lofton?

Found out on CBS that a MLB rule prevents Shelton from consideration for the ROY award.

A Rule-5 player with the Tigers in 2004, Shelton is not a rookie, despite only 46 at-bats all of last year.

Found out on CBS that a MLB rule prevents Shelton from consideration for the ROY award.

A Rule-5 player with the Tigers in 2004, Shelton is not a rookie, despite only 46 at-bats all of last year.

=D>=D>=D> \:D/

If Cano can just finish the season with a .285 BA 12+ home runs and 65+ rbis, you'd think he'd be a lock for ROY.

=D>=D>=D> \:D/

If Cano can just finish the season with a .285 BA 12+ home runs and 65+ rbis, you'd think he'd be a lock for ROY.

Yet again, Yanks fans proving why people worldwide despise the Yankees.

Melky freaking Cabrera is better than David Wright? How about Cabrera tracks a single fly ball without dropping it first?

Wright, for a young player, has a tremendous command of the strike zone, has an exceedingly quick bat, is a gifted athlete who can hit for power and steal bases, and will improve defensively. His glove has been very shaky but he's not a butcher over there in the least.

Let's not forget that Wright is in essence a rookie on this club. Playing a half season for Art Howe and the tanking Mets last year did him no favors. This year he's just scratching the surface of what kind of player he'll end up being.

In two seasons the Mets will be fielding a team with Wright, Reyes, Lastings Milledge and Carlos Beltran as core players in their line-up. At the same time the Yanks will be spending 30 mil per season to pry guys like Chris Shleton out of Detroit.

Melky Cabrera my ass.

Yet again, Yanks fans proving why people worldwide despise the Yankees.

Melky freaking Cabrera is better than David Wright? How about Cabrera tracks a single fly ball without dropping it first?

Wright, for a young player, has a tremendous command of the strike zone, has an exceedingly quick bat, is a gifted athlete who can hit for power and steal bases, and will improve defensively. His glove has been very shaky but he's not a butcher over there in the least.

Let's not forget that Wright is in essence a rookie on this club. Playing a half season for Art Howe and the tanking Mets last year did him no favors. This year he's just scratching the surface of what kind of player he'll end up being.

In two seasons the Mets will be fielding a team with Wright, Reyes, Lastings Milledge and Carlos Beltran as core players in their line-up. At the same time the Yanks will be spending 30 mil per season to pry guys like Chris Shleton out of Detroit.

Melky Cabrera my ass.

Archived