Panthers DT Kris Jenkins is heading to the NYJ for a 3rd & 5th(merged 2x)

BP

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3270118

Everyone expected a quick start to free agency, but the limited market of players made things ever crazier than normal Friday morning.

Less than a hour after the 12:01 a.m. start to free agency, the Dolphins reached a five-year, $25 million deal with 49ers guard Justin Smiley that included $9 million of guarantees. The Raiders quickly made contact with 49es tackle Kwame Harris and may try to do something at a similar price although talks are in the early stages.

The 49ers wasted no time hitting their free-agency shopping list. They agreed with Vikings linebacker Dontarrious Thomas to a two-year deal and allowed Lions quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan to be re-united with new 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz by agreeing to a one-year, $645,000 contract. The 49ers also locked up a two-year, $1.8 million deal with former Panthers halfback DeShaun Foster and a one-year, $870,000 deal with kick-returner/cornerback Allen Rossum.

The post midnight contact for Steelers guard Alan Faneca set the stage to a possible $8 million-a-year deal before Monday. The 49ers, Rams and Jets contacted Faneca's agent, Rick Smith, after midnight to set up visits. Faneca plans to spend Friday mapping out plans and visit a team Sunday. The Cardinals expressed interest in Faneca but indicated to him they couldn't do an $8 million a year deal now because of Larry Fitzgerald's contract. Fitzgerald has a $16.48 million cap number this year and the team hasn't been able to restructure his contract.

The phone was busy for Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel with the Eagles making the early calls and winning the first visit. Samuel is hoping to get a five-year, $50 million or six-year, $62 million contract that will force him to leave the Patriots.

Things were tight-lipped around Randy Moss, the Patriots receiver who wasn't franchised and is technically a free agent. Many believe he will re-sign in New England, but there was no deal in place at the start of free agency.

The Falcons contacted Seahawks kicker Josh Brown and also tried to convince Chargers running back Michael Turner to make a visit on Friday. The Panthers convinced Raiders defensive end Tyler Brayton to make Carolina his first visit. The Vikings and 49ers battled it out to convince Bengals defensive end Justin Smith, but Smith informed the 49ers he will make San Francisco his first stop.

Late deals to keep players prevented some suitors from getting visits. Defensive tackle Brian Young is considering an offer to re-sign with the Saints and declined a visit. Chris Redman is considering re-signing with the Falcons.

Plenty of trades are expected to be announced Friday. The Packers traded franchise defensive tackle Corey Williams to the Browns for a second-round choice. Williams is expected to sign a six-year, $38 million contract. The Saints are close to finishing a trade for Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma. Panthers defensive tackle Kris Jenkins is heading to the Jets for a third-and fifth-round pick. Vikings wide receiver Troy Williamson will go to the Jaguars for a sixth-round pick. Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers and Jaguars defensive tackle Marcus Stroud are also on the trading block and deals could move quickly involving them.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't tell from his stats and never saw him play, is this guy any good? Better than DROb? Better than Rodgers? In other words, is this a transaction we should be excited about? Also, does this take us out of the market for Rodgers?

He's the best interior defensive lineman in the league. Period. Now a JET.

All of you whiny Tannenbaum-haters can duck a sick. This guy said he'd make a splash, and this is a HUGE splash.

All of you whiny Tannenbaum-haters can duck a sick. This guy said he'd make a splash, and this is a HUGE splash.

jenkins-kris_hs-07.jpg

Height 6-4

Weight 335

Birthdate 08/03/1979

Hometown Ypsilanti, MI

Glove Hand Right

Roster Status Team Roster

College Maryland

Drafted

NFL Experience 7

Panthers Experience 7

How Acquired D2 '01

I was always a fan of this guy..I have seen a good amount of panthers game and when this guy is playing, there arent to many guys who can block him. even with weight issues. He puts 100% effort on every play. OFcourse he played on a great line for a few years which did push up his numbers a lil' but still he was a force.

Thats exactly what we need in the middle of our 3-4. A big mofo to eat up space and free up the linebackers. And, when he is healthy, he is a beast.

I like the move.

He hasn't missed a game in the last two seasons.

wiki:

"However, the 2004 NFL season saw Jenkins suffer a shoulder injury in the second game against Kansas City, and he spent the latter half of the season on injured reserve. His injury misfortunes continued during the first game of the 2005 NFL season when he tore his anterior cruciate ligament and was once again placed on injured reserve.

He is not out the hole yet JR. He gave away Vilma for a possable 4th rounder!??? Nice deal for us but we needed to get rid of Robertson and we did not and we'll pay for that in the cap so dont be bending over to Tanny just yet.

He hasn't missed a game in the last two seasons.

wiki:

"However, the 2004 NFL season saw Jenkins suffer a shoulder injury in the second game against Kansas City, and he spent the latter half of the season on injured reserve. His injury misfortunes continued during the first game of the 2005 NFL season when he tore his anterior cruciate ligament and was once again placed on injured reserve.

That's good. he's got all the bad injuries out of the way now.

Well you're right, Madden says he's a 94 overall power move d-lineman and i get all my info from madden soooo... :P

Anyway, how sure are we that this went down? I'd love to see official confirmation so I don't have to be mad at Tangini all night for that BS Vilma deal

Now that I think of it, I am interested to see what will happen with Jenkins in a 3-4. It will be hard to see the same kind of numbers when his job is to keep lineman of LB's. I know what will happen.. His numbers will take a hit and people will complain..

I hate the 3-4.

I would have preffered Rogers but would be more than happy with Jenkins. It'll be weird watching our defence next season with a real Nose Tackle. Hopefully it's fun to watch too.

To my limited knowledge I don't believe that Mr. Jenkins has ever been a NT in a 3/4 or even played a 3/4 for that matter. He certainly has the size but let's hope he can adapt. If not we seize the Jets FO and WE take over. :biggrin:

To my limited knowledge I don't believe that Mr. Jenkins has ever been a NT in a 3/4 or even played a 3/4 for that matter. He certainly has the size but let's hope he can adapt. If not we seize the Jets FO and WE take over. :biggrin:

I know, that's not what I'm saying. He has the size and experience to adjust though IMO. He would be a great signing.

I know, that's not what I'm saying. He has the size and experience to adjust though IMO. He would be a great signing.

I just hope that the FO mOrons studied enough film to KNOW he can make the switch. He's got the size but NT in our 3/4 scheme is not an easy switch. I just don't want 2 more f'n years of "Well he's not a true NT and not occupying OL properly to let our LB's do their jobs" crap. Been there , listened to that. :biggrin: P.S. I would have preferred Rogers myself , with Vilma going to the Lions.

I can't tell from his stats and never saw him play, is this guy any good? Better than DROb? Better than Rodgers? In other words, is this a transaction we should be excited about? Also, does this take us out of the market for Rodgers?

He was considered the best tackle in football several years ago. But a couple of injuries have hurt him since.

I would have rather had Rogers, but at least they are making a move to get a nose tackle.

With Vilma gone for a pick next year and two picks this year traded for Jenkins, the Jets really need to accumulate some more picks in this upcoming draft. I will feel better about this move once Coles, DRob, and Pussington are traded.

I just hope that the FO mOrons studied enough film to KNOW he can make the switch. He's got the size but NT in our 3/4 scheme is not an easy switch. I just don't want 2 more f'n years of "Well he's not a true NT and not occupying OL properly to let our LB's do their jobs" crap. Been there , listened to that. :biggrin: P.S. I would have preferred Rogers myself , with Vilma going to the Lions.

Oh right I'm sure they didn't watch enough film to make a good decision..You think you know more them Mangini or Tanny..guess what.. you don't. Everyone is screaming on all the boards about getting a true NT with size and we just got a 360 F**kin pound one and you have a problem with it. Can he make the switch..He plays with his hand on the ground for a living..His ass was getting doubled all the time in Carolina..I think he has the understanding of how to defeat a double team..oh did I mention he's 360.

Oh right I'm sure they didn't watch enough film to make a good decision..You think you know more them Mangini or Tanny..guess what.. you don't. Everyone is screaming on all the boards about getting a true NT with size and we just got a 360 F**kin pound one and you have a problem with it. Can he make the switch..He plays with his hand on the ground for a living..His ass was getting doubled all the time in Carolina..I think he has the understanding of how to defeat a double team..oh did I mention he's 360.

Well, these are the same guys that traded for Thomas Jones and Kevan Barlow, signed Kimo von Oelhoffen, drafted Anthony Schlegal and Brad Smith, and traded Pete Kendall without an adequate replacement. Oh, they also started Dewayne Robertson at nose tackle for two years and Chad Pennington at QB for a year and a half.

I'd say it's pretty damn fair to question our fearless leaders' abilities to make a good decision.

I am personally fine with the Jenkins deal. If ThaiJet is not, this front office has given him every right to think that.

Don't get your little panties in a bunch there old Glenn. If you were here more often than your <1 post per day you'd know where we're coming from on this. Just putting a 360 lb. POS in at NT does not make him a NT. Btw he's listed as 335 lbs. on 3 different sites but I suppose you know more about that than they do. If weight was the answer than Pouha would have started over D'Rob. Like I said in my post if you read it closely, he DOES have the size but he's never actually played a NT in a 3/4. I mearly stated facts. Something you should try to grasp the concept of. :P

Name the 3 best 3-4 NT's in the league.

Now look up what defensive scheme they played in - exclusively - before their current teams drafted them to convert to a 3-4 NT. Or, in the case of SD, go check how many men were used on their DL prior to 2004 (read: for the years 1998-2003).

Just because DRob was unsuccessful making the switch doesn't make it some insurmountable task. DRob was unsuccessful more b/c his strength is as a penetrator not a space-eater. Hell, he wasn't even much of a run-stopper on a FOUR man line with a true NT playing right next to him and two pro-bowl DE's.

I'd like to hear a concrete reason why anyone thinks Jenkins can't handle the 3-4.

Truth is, he's probably more-suited to it than the system he's been playing in for his whole career. And even if we sweated him down to 335, how is that not big enough for a NT, even at 6'4?

Btw he's listed as 335 lbs. on 3 different sites but I suppose you know more about that than they do.

Maybe just his ass weighs 335. Ted Washington was listed at 325 for years & he was (literally) closer to 425 than he was to 325. 335 was his weight when he was drafted probably. Every site also says D'Brickashaw Ferguson weighs 312 lbs and has since 2006.

He's reportedly come into camp weighing in at close to 400 lbs. That would be a problem & he'd need to shed a lot of if it happens. But regardless, he hasn't weighed 335 for years.

Name the 3 best 3-4 NT's in the league.

Now look up what defensive scheme they played in - exclusively - before their current teams drafted them to convert to a 3-4 NT. Or, in the case of SD, go check how many men were used on their DL prior to 2004 (read: for the years 1998-2003).

Just because DRob was unsuccessful making the switch doesn't make it some insurmountable task. DRob was unsuccessful more b/c his strength is as a penetrator not a space-eater. Hell, he wasn't even much of a run-stopper on a FOUR man line with a true NT playing right next to him and two pro-bowl DE's.

I'd like to hear a concrete reason why anyone thinks Jenkins can't handle the 3-4.

Truth is, he's probably more-suited to it than the system he's been playing in for his whole career.

Exactly, D-Rob was physically unable to make the adjustment, while Jenkins on the other hand has all the physical tools to be a perfect 3-4 guy. It

Archived