Why the hate on Brad Smith?

lancemehl

I love having him and now Keller as "WR's". They both cause match up problems, that's what you look for in this game.

No, he's not TO or Randy Moss, but can those guys play QB? Having Keller and Smith on the field in motion shifting, Chad calling audibles and running that no huddle.

Throw in the C and C music factory, I see a fun offense. 10 yards at a clip. That's just me.

Some people need the 50 yard bomb, well, B. Smith can give you that. I ,personally don't mind watching Keller shift off the line, catch a 7 yard duck from "rag arm" and drag a few DB's for a first down.

I see a fun offense, maybe it's the glasses.

I'm pulling for the guy, however the way this coaching staff chooses to use him pisses me off. I see big plays from him, you just have to know where to line him up, its all about match ups. I like the trick plays, however last year we did the same ones over and over and we weren't fooling anyone. Also he must improve on his catching, he dropped way to many balls last year, not like McCraphands but still to many IMO. He gets a pass in my book because he's a former QB turn WR...thats not easy to do.

I was very high on Brad Smith becoming a good WR in the NFL during his rookie year. The trick plays are nice, but I really thought he had good WR potential. He has all of the physical tools. And actually, his hands are not bad like people think. His flaw that really became apparent last year is his lack of ability to go after and fight for the ball. He has alligator arms over the middle. He does not fight for the ball when tightly covered. He does not know how to adjust to the ball in flight.

These are pretty significant flaws for a WR. However, keep in mind he is still learning how to be a WR. It might start coming together in his third year. I hope so. His versatility (not just trick plays, he is outstanding on special teams coverage) and raw potential deserves a spot on the roster. Unfortunately, I no longer think he will ever be much of a factor as a WR. I hope I am now wrong and my original evaluation comes true.

because Shotty was too predictable with him

and when a lot of people criticize they speak out of their ass.

this is his 3rd year, he should benifit from the line, an improved running game, and a QB who actually has more than 2.5 seconds to throw the ball.

Difficulty getting open and then lots of drops when he finally does.

How can anyone be down on such a receiver?

He's good on special teams, but until he becomes a legitimate receiver (if that ever happens), there's little trickery with him in the game. If he lines up at QB, he's running with it. Not much trickery there; might as well have Leon line up at QB since no one thinks he's really going to throw it either.

The thing that made a WR like a Randle-El more dangerous is he could actually throw it now & then. Same with option passes from Tomlinson & others. It's what made a QB like Culpepper, young McNair & Brunell, Cunningham, and Steve Young different from a QB like Vick or Vince Young or Jim Harbaugh.

A dangerous passer keeps the safeties in coverage. Without that threat, everyone runs after the guy with the ball instead of the guy who might have the ball thrown to him.

Same applies to trick plays. If there's no threat of a real pass, it's not much of a trick.

I was very high on Brad Smith becoming a good WR in the NFL during his rookie year. The trick plays are nice, but I really thought he had good WR potential. He has all of the physical tools. And actually, his hands are not bad like people think. His flaw that really became apparent last year is his lack of ability to go after and fight for the ball. He has alligator arms over the middle. He does not fight for the ball when tightly covered. He does not know how to adjust to the ball in flight.

These are pretty significant flaws for a WR. However, keep in mind he is still learning how to be a WR. It might start coming together in his third year. I hope so. His versatility (not just trick plays, he is outstanding on special teams coverage) and raw potential deserves a spot on the roster. Unfortunately, I no longer think he will ever be much of a factor as a WR. I hope I am now wrong and my original evaluation comes true.

He can be a good WR...Drop the tricks and teach him how to play the position. This guy is a diamond in the rough and he is being wasted...

Maybe when he actually learns how to play wide reciever I may give him a shot.His gadget plays have gotten old and Schotty clearly doesn't trust his throwing ability. I'm hoping to God that Chansi Stuckey can step up and develop into a very good slot WR, we desperately need some help there.

On special teams however I still rate Smith very highly.

Polished college recievers endure a three-year acclimation period to the NFL...

Let's give the kid a break. He's not just "good" he is the "BEST" ST-gunner we have on roster, he's extremely athletic and I love watching him with the ball. Getting the ball into his hands is the big problem... give him another season or two.

Let's give the kid a break. He's not just "good" he is the "BEST" ST-gunner we have on roster, he's extremely athletic and I love watching him with the ball. Getting the ball into his hands is the big problem... give him another season or two.

Exactly!

Although I think this is the year he needs to break out. He got valuable experience as a WR last year (with better numbers than Cotchery had in his second year), and he needs to step it up this year. It's also up to the coaches to stop with the QB/gadget play BS. Everyone needs to be on the same page developing Brad as a WR once and for all.

That's just it! play him on ST and receiver then. No more under center cause once he does that the D knows to que on him. It worked in 06 not 07 cause teams caught on.

How does Brad Smith cause matchup problems? He doesn't have exceptional skills at WR and he can't catch. The dude flat-out sucks and is a wasted draft pick.

He causes problems, because he's a big target that isn't asked to be a #1 or #2, that means the defense has to play nickel, or have a safety cover him. He's quick enough to give safeties trouble. thus when the line plays better, the running game will open up.

give him time, hell cotchery didn't play well until his 3rd year. relax

He causes problems, because he's a big target that isn't asked to be a #1 or #2, that means the defense has to play nickel, or have a safety cover him. He's quick enough to give safeties trouble. thus when the line plays better, the running game will open up.

give him time, hell cotchery didn't play well until his 3rd year. relax

Cotchery didn't PLAY until his 3rd year. Herm saw to that.

Smith only causes problems for defenses on paper. Otherwise every WR 6'2 with a little wiggle to him would cause these great mismatches. He doesn't get open and he drops the ball a lot. When he lines up at QB no one seriously expects him to throw it; if he does throw it at all, certainly no one expects the pass to be over deeper than the LB'ers.

He's not untalented. But so far he's just not a WR.

with his multi-tasking abilities there is clearly going to be a spot for him on this team in '08. All I know is if it's 3rd and 11 with the game on the line I do NOT want him to be the receiver supposed to get the ball to win the game for us

He doesn't get open and he drops the ball a lot. When he lines up at QB no one seriously expects him to throw it; if he does throw it at all, certainly no one expects the pass to be over deeper than the LB'ers.

I don't know. I'm not seeing all these drops. I do him him struggling to get open. That's an issue. WR is a tough position to play at the NFL level, and I'm definitely still holding out hope that the lights goes on for him this year. He's physically gifted, and certainly looks like a football player on special teams.

I'd like to see the Jets dump the dopey gadget plays this year. With a better OL, maybe they can. I'm interested in the experiment with Smith holding for Nugent. I like the idea that every FG attempt could be a fake. But yeah, if they're going to insist on lining Smith up at QB, they have to have him throw the ball once in a while. I'd have him throw it downfield the first time he lines up there this season, just to set the precedent.

Unfortunately, these extra duties for Smith take away from his much needed reps at WR. I hope he sees a ton of action in the preseason. I don't want to see Coles out there much at all in those meaningless games.

I don't know. I'm not seeing all these drops. I do him him struggling to get open. That's an issue. WR is a tough position to play at the NFL level, and I'm definitely still holding out hope that the lights goes on for him this year. He's physically gifted, and certainly looks like a football player on special teams.

I'd like to see the Jets dump the dopey gadget plays this year. With a better OL, maybe they can. I'm interested in the experiment with Smith holding for Nugent. I like the idea that every FG attempt could be a fake. But yeah, if they're going to insist on lining Smith up at QB, they have to have him throw the ball once in a while. I'd have him throw it downfield the first time he lines up there this season, just to set the precedent.

Unfortunately, these extra duties for Smith take away from his much needed reps at WR. I hope he sees a ton of action in the preseason. I don't want to see Coles out there much at all in those meaningless games.

Brad Smith dropped 45 passes last year, an NFL record.

IMO, This is a very big camp for Smith. If he can't learn to run routes, he is worthless as a WR to the Jets.

That roster spot is going to be highly contested this season. Forget the QB thing they have been trying to do with him, just didn't work.

If he can learn to run routes, and catch a few balls, then he becomes valuable as a trick play guy again. Right now when he comes on the field the defenses don't have to worry about him as a receiver.

If he can't do it by August, give the roster spot to someone else.

I like Brad Smith, we can use him at qb.wr.special teams ...etc

you just don't let a guy like him get away, he is a winner and he will do what we ask of him .The guy flat out wants to win , I want a guy like that on my team Jmho though.

Problem is, he sucks as a QB, and has no production as a WR

Problem is, he sucks as a QB, and has no production as a WR
I wouldn't say he sucks as a Qb he did have 8000 yds passing in college ,and that is a hard thing to do no matter who you are and what Div. you play in. But at Wr he has his flaws but what do you except,he is learning something he has never done before.He is doing this also at a pro level,which has to be hard,but he does it, without complaining and he is trying his hardest to prove he can.I'd rather have a guy like this on my team ,who can play many postitions,as opposed to a guy coming out of college as a Wr and in a year or 2 becomes a bust.

I wouldn't say he sucks as a Qb he did have 8000 yds passing in college ,and that is a hard thing to do no matter who you are and what Div. you play in. But at Wr he has his flaws but what do you except,he is learning something he has never done before.He is doing this also at a pro level,which has to be hard,but he does it, without complaining and he is trying his hardest to prove he can.I'd rather have a guy like this on my team ,who can play many postitions,as opposed to a guy coming out of college as a Wr and in a year or 2 becomes a bust.

Yeah, well Danny Wuerffel had almost 11000 yards. He sucked in the NFL also. At least Smith is useful on special teams.

Archived