Should The Jets Change Their Name To The New Jersey Jets?

The Gun Of Bavaria

What Geographical Identity Should The Jets Use?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What Geographical Identity Should The Jets Use?

It's the age old 'tease' that every single friend of yours who hates the Jets has given you crap for years. Why don't they call the team the New Jersey Jets?

Before it was a little easier to respond, since team HQ, facilities and training camp were in NY proper, however, with their pending move to Florham Park, NJ for all operations, what real ties do the Jets have to NY any longer?

There's a reason it's the New England Patriots and no longer the Boston Patriots, why shouldn't the Jets think about the same. There is no longer anything tying them to NY. Zip. Nada. Nichts. They'll be practicing and playing in NJ for the next 50 years, that's fact. Hell, it seems a great majority of the posters who reside in the greater NY metropolitan area here live in NJ, so why not?

The Jets have always been the stepchild to the Giants in that city anyways. Does changing their name to NJ act to establish their own identity away from the Giants or would it just be a futile waste of time?

Thoughts?

they should because someone needs to replace the New Jersey "ETS" since the Nets are moving.

i really think what would have separated them is if thy had built their own damn stadium instead of trying to stick the taxpayers with all the costs.

but by in large i think it might if the started calling themselves the New Jersey Jets

Yes. When they leave NY, they take with them jobs for New Yorkers and their tax money. What's right is right: you can no longer rightfully call your team the New York Jets. I'll still love the team, but they should not have NY on the uniform.

They should keep it New York because NY is the greatest city in the world. It is the "Jets" that has to change. Gasoline based jet propulsion will soon be a thing of the past.

here are your NEW YORK SOLARCRAFTS ...

On the other hand, there might not be enough time during timeouts for Fireman Ed to lead the crowd with:

S-O-L-A-R-C-R-A-F-T-S ... Solarcrafts, Solarcrafts, Solarcrafts ...

They should keep it New York because NY is the greatest city in the world. It is the "Jets" that has to change. Gasoline based jet propulsion will soon be a thing of the past.

here are your NEW YORK SOLARCRAFTS ...

On the other hand, there might not be enough time during timeouts for Fireman Ed to lead the crowd with:

S-O-L-A-R-C-R-A-F-T-S ... Solarcrafts, Solarcrafts, Solarcrafts ...

nice try Maynard but it bombed

:Wave:

No. This is the NJ/NY area and the Jets are originally from New York. This is not a move from say New York to San Francisco where the Giants had to change their name to the SF Giants, this is New Jersey and New Jersey is the step child of New York City. Keeping the NY name is fine especially with the stadium being on the brink of the city.

There's a reason it's the New England Patriots and no longer the Boston Patriots, why shouldn't the Jets think about the same.

Maybe they could call themselves the New York Metropolitan Area Jets.

Maybe they could call themselves the New York Metropolitan Area Jets.

Or take on what the Red Bulls, formally known as the Metrostars, did:

"The New York / New Jersey Jets"

How f'ing stupid would that be? Still can't get over the ridiculous: "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim".

Hey, maybe we could be: "The New York Jets of New Jersey" Yeah!

It's never gonna happen. Here's why in 2 words.

MARKETING. DOLLARS.

NY is simply worth more and easier to sell than NJ. Team naming thmeselves NJ over NY would equate to voluntarily taking on a massive loss in real dollars. I'd be curious to know what the actual loss would be but I would assume a couple million annually on the low end of the spectrum.

I'm from NW New Jersey & I agree - THEY SHOULD REMAIN THE NY JETS.

Besides, their main offices (sales/CEO) will remain in NYC. Only the team & Ticket offices (that were in Hofstra) are moving to NJ.

:confused:

Besides, the only reason I followed G.O.B. here was to see the Scarlet Johannson Gif!

:cheers:

Besides, their main offices (sales/CEO) will remain in NYC. Only the team & Ticket offices (that were in Hofstra) are moving to NJ.

Besides, the only reason I followed G.O.B. here was to see the Scarlet Johannson Gif!

LOL. A man of letters. I can't take my eyes off that thing. Maybe G.O.B. could do one of Jessica Alba's butt?

I thought the main offices were coming too?

It's the age old 'tease' that every single friend of yours who hates the Jets has given you crap for years. Why don't they call the team the New Jersey Jets?

Before it was a little easier to respond, since team HQ, facilities and training camp were in NY proper, however, with their pending move to Florham Park, NJ for all operations, what real ties do the Jets have to NY any longer?

There's a reason it's the New England Patriots and no longer the Boston Patriots, why shouldn't the Jets think about the same. There is no longer anything tying them to NY. Zip. Nada. Nichts. They'll be practicing and playing in NJ for the next 50 years, that's fact. Hell, it seems a great majority of the posters who reside in the greater NY metropolitan area here live in NJ, so why not?

The Jets have always been the stepchild to the Giants in that city anyways. Does changing their name to NJ act to establish their own identity away from the Giants or would it just be a futile waste of time?

Thoughts?

First of all Scarlet is an absolute babe. I can't county how many midnight sessions we've had together. lol. Second, the Jets are the N.Y. jets and should stay that way. If anything we should of had our own stadium built in ny without the Gints.

ironic how most WHINED about them moving to NJ and it's not NY and they shouldbe the NY Jets and play in NY. I explained the entire suburb thing, and was laughed at... so now they aren't going to play in NY and you want to have the NY name.. ironic.

ironic how most WHINED about them moving to NJ and it's not NY and they shouldbe the NY Jets and play in NY. I explained the entire suburb thing, and was laughed at... so now they aren't going to play in NY and you want to have the NY name.. ironic.

suburb thing like move team to westchester or around that? That would be awesome and cheaper

NO Not if it will involve changing the merchandise (jerseys,hats,t-shirts) $$$$$$$

Wrong! The Jets are going to play one GREEN and WHITE scrimmage at HOFSTRA every year fromm now on. That ties them to NY somewhat. Between the PSLs and NJ Jets, the new Giants stadium will be a waste of money!

Thoughts?

I've explained this before. The franchises for both the NY Giants and the NY Jets were purchased in NY. Therefore they are the NY Giants and the NY Jets. Even though their facilities will be in NJ, ala the Meadowlands and the New Meadowlands, the franchise tags remain the same. The could play in Timbuktu and they would still be the NY Giants and the NY Jets. Think of the Franchise and in our situation, you can also think of the NY metropolitan area which encompasses the portion of NJ land where Florham Park is located. Mainly though, it's the franchise tags.

Archived