****THE OFFICIAL WEEK 1 PRESEASON Jets-Browns GAMETHREAD****

gangreenman

Why am I more impressed with Brett Ratliff in 10 mins than I have been with Clemens his entire career?

10 mins of a preseason game/ A ****ing preseason game!!!

Clemens, funnily enough, ripped it up in the preseason last season. He's playing vs scrubs, it means nothing.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 mins of a preseason game/ A ****ing preseason game!!!

Clemens, funnily enough, ripped it up in the preseason last season. He's playing vs scrubs, it means nothing.

It goes both ways... he is also playing WITH scrubs... its not like he has better players around him than the D has...

Why am I more impressed with Brett Ratliff in 10 mins than I have been with Clemens his entire career?

LOL

I like Ratlif too... maybe Favre will train him to replace him...

put your money where your mouth is. join the fan club. :lol:

Sperm, you still can't claim that the has been 'good'. Yes they had a good game vs New England last year in awful conditions but I wouldn't say we've been 'good' since Mangini has arrived.

Hopefully this is the year that they step up.

I'm not arguing that this has been a defense I liked for the past 2 years. But the post said "Mangini has yet to put a good JETS defense on the field since he got here." Even if only intermittently, that is not true.

And teams score more against bad defenses. They score less against good defenses. Ecurb don't give me this crap that teams weren't trying to score because they ran so much. The Jets' yardage may have been lower than their performance indicated, but points-surrendered are points-surrendered. Jets were #6 in that category in '06 and #19 in '07 (and those points-against include multiple interceptions run back for TD's, mostly thanks to Chad Pennington).

Even with some terrible 3-4 personnel (DRob, Vilma) they still gave up under 20ppg. That's enough to win football games if there was any semblance of an offense.

Ecurb don't give me this crap that teams weren't trying to score because they ran so much. The Jets' yardage may have been lower than their performance indicated, but points-surrendered are points-surrendered. Jets were #6 in that category in '06 and #19 in '07 (and those points-against include multiple interceptions run back for TD's, mostly thanks to Chad Pennington).

I think a very strong case can be made that teams were happy to run the ball and control the clock against the Jets because, a.) they could and, b.) the Jets were no threat to put up points themselves.

Sperm, you're generally excellent with that sort of statistical deconstruction. I'm surprised at your POV on this one.

Seriously! Put Brett in!

In all seriousness.... Ratliff should be the #2 QB this year.

Very true. One could just as easily use the receivers as an excuse: "Hey, who was he supposed to throw the ball to - David Clowney & Wallace Wright?"

That lack of talent on the field goes both ways.

i love how their going with the quick slants and it is paying off... favre is gonna love stucky clowney, now that the burners have good hands and will actually be useful we should install a few of those spread formations that worked in gb when they demolished san deigo btw we play them week 3

I think a very strong case can be made that teams were happy to run the ball and control the clock against the Jets because, a.) they could and, b.) the Jets were no threat to put up points themselves.

Sperm, you're generally excellent with that sort of statistical deconstruction. I'm surprised at your POV on this one.

I did not say their defense was good overall, nor am I arguing that. It was not. All I disagree with is that we have never put a good defense on the field in the past 2 years. That is false.

My first half review:

- Missing starters: David Harris, Shaun Ellis & Laveranues Coles

- Brett Ratliff & David Clowney continue to impress this summer, this time in actual game, and if they keep this up it will be a shame if both do not make this roster. Ratliff is a much better option than Erik Ainge and Clowney can play Special Teams well (he played his college ball at VaTech) so we do not need to keep Wallace Wright around for that.

- The first team and second team defenses really disappointed me. Vernon Gholston looks lost out there, especially when asked to drop into coverage. Three times Buttle made a point to get on him for not covering the slant well. THREE times. Not a good sign. Calvin Pace had one QB pressure and Kris Jenkins had one nice stop of Jamal Lewis on the Opening Drive but after that this defense just did not play well at all. Not having Ellis & Harris played a part in it, but it is no excuse, they do not stop a Justin Miller pass interference. Not enough pressure on Anderson or Quinn aside from Kassell (who left the field limping) and Pace on their one respective plays.

- Eric Barton had a solid interception via being in the right place at the right time, even though it was a deflection. Bryan Thomas had good coverage on the play.

- Overall for the defense: Two drives, one TD allowed, one turnover, but that turnover only happened because of a tipped pass by the Wide Receiver. Not a good showing and I expect better.

- The Nuuuuuuuuuuge is 1-1 on PAT's and FG's and his one Kickoff sailed about six yards deep into the endzone.

Archived