WHAAAAAAAA - They didn't think I could get the job done in NY! WHAAAAAAAA

PETROCK

Chad Pennington says Jets didn't think he could get job done

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, August 8th 2008, 10:08 PM

alg_pennington-throws.jpg

Chad Pennington says the Jets were down on him, not high on Brett Favre.

A week ago, Jets owner Woody Johnson tried to downplay the Brett Favre speculation, telling reporters that incumbent quarterbacks Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens "are capable of taking us where we have to go."

To Pennington, it was nothing but lip service.

In his first public comments since his late-night, Willie Randolph-esque firing, Pennington expressed the belief Friday that he was dumped because the organization had lost faith in him. Perhaps not coincidentally, the word-savvy quarterback used same phrase as Johnson - except he flipped it.

"I think it's clear the organization didn't feel I was the quarterback to lead them where they wanted to go," a subdued Pennington said on a conference call. "I think that's extremely clear, because then the decision (to trade for Favre) wouldn't have been made."

From the moment the Favre trade with the Packers was consummated late Wednesday night, Jets officials have gone to great lengths to praise Pennington, explaining the deal as a rare opportunity to acquire a future Hall of Famer. But Pennington took it personally, and the hurt was evident in his voice during a 10-minute Q & A with reporters. Even though the rumors were flying for two weeks, the news hit him hard.

"The most difficult part of the last 24hours is coming to realize you're no longer wanted by your organization," he said. "You spend eight years with an organization and, in the blink of an eye, you're no longer wanted. That's the crude part of the business that is sometimes hard to accept emotionally."

Pennington, 32, received the news at 11:30p.m. Wednesday in a face-to-face conversation with coach Eric Mangini at the team hotel in Cleveland, where the Jets opened the preseason Thursday night. Word spread quickly throughout the team. Pennington's closest friend on the team, wide receiver Laveranues Coles, was angry and upset, according to one player.

Life without Pennington will be "definitely strange," tight end Chris Baker said. "It's tough, but it's part of the business. (Favre) is a good move for the team."

Pennington approached the organization about trading him last offseason, but he didn't push the issue because he was promised a fair shot at the starting job. He was so determined to win back his job that he hired a team of experts to help him, physically and mentally. It was Team Chad.

He reunited with his old strength and conditioning coach, Charles Petrone, of Knoxville, Tenn., who devised an intensive training program that began Feb. 3. In addition to the Jets' staff, Pennington worked with a fitness expert, a chiropractor, an athletic trainer, an acupuncturist, a message therapist and a "mental conditioning" coach, as he called it.

"It's all about keeping your edge in this game, because they're always looking to replace you," he said last week.

After six months of training, Pennington never got a chance to compete in a game for the starting job. He believes it could be the Jets' loss.

"I feel really good about how I played here in camp," he said. "I think people saw I've become a better quarterback. They've seen the changes I've made in myself, physically and mentally. I was on my way to doing some good things as the quarterback, but our organization had different plans."

Pennington confirmed that he has received interest from several teams, including the Dolphins. He apparently has received a call from Bill Parcells, the Dolphins' vice president. Parcells was the GM when the Jets drafted Pennington in 2000.

The Jets open the regular season in Miami, but Pennington claimed the chances for revenge won't be a factor in where he decides to sign.

"I can say without a shadow of a doubt, I have no feelings about that whatsoever," he said. "If something happens with Miami, it'll be because I feel good about the situation and the opportunity. It won't have anything to do with the New York Jets or me trying to prove a point."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/08/08/2008-08-08_chad_pennington_says_jets_didnt_think_he.html

Wow. I didn't take it so much as whining as just explaining why he thought he was no longer a Jet. Way to treat a guy who busted his a$$ for you guys though. :rl:

Yeah--I think this was posted yesterday and I thought the same thing then. I thought no less of Chad after signing with Miami, personally. When it comes down to it, this is a buisness, just as it was to release Chad. He went to Miami because it was the best, and maybe only chance for him to start. Cant hold that against him....until we play Miami of course, lol.

He's delusional. What finally did it for me after 06 was the realization that he really is delusional. He thinks he's 5x as good as he is. It's one thing to believe in yourself and it's mandatory thinking to play at that level - but he's living in a fantasy with himself and his perception of his capabilities. No longer our problem.

Chad Pennington says Jets didn't think he could get job done

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, August 8th 2008, 10:08 PM

alg_pennington-throws.jpg

Chad Pennington says the Jets were down on him, not high on Brett Favre.

A week ago, Jets owner Woody Johnson tried to downplay the Brett Favre speculation, telling reporters that incumbent quarterbacks Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens "are capable of taking us where we have to go."

To Pennington, it was nothing but lip service.

In his first public comments since his late-night, Willie Randolph-esque firing, Pennington expressed the belief Friday that he was dumped because the organization had lost faith in him. Perhaps not coincidentally, the word-savvy quarterback used same phrase as Johnson - except he flipped it.

"I think it's clear the organization didn't feel I was the quarterback to lead them where they wanted to go," a subdued Pennington said on a conference call. "I think that's extremely clear, because then the decision (to trade for Favre) wouldn't have been made."

From the moment the Favre trade with the Packers was consummated late Wednesday night, Jets officials have gone to great lengths to praise Pennington, explaining the deal as a rare opportunity to acquire a future Hall of Famer. But Pennington took it personally, and the hurt was evident in his voice during a 10-minute Q & A with reporters. Even though the rumors were flying for two weeks, the news hit him hard.

"The most difficult part of the last 24hours is coming to realize you're no longer wanted by your organization," he said. "You spend eight years with an organization and, in the blink of an eye, you're no longer wanted. That's the crude part of the business that is sometimes hard to accept emotionally."

Pennington, 32, received the news at 11:30p.m. Wednesday in a face-to-face conversation with coach Eric Mangini at the team hotel in Cleveland, where the Jets opened the preseason Thursday night. Word spread quickly throughout the team. Pennington's closest friend on the team, wide receiver Laveranues Coles, was angry and upset, according to one player.

Life without Pennington will be "definitely strange," tight end Chris Baker said. "It's tough, but it's part of the business. (Favre) is a good move for the team."

Pennington approached the organization about trading him last offseason, but he didn't push the issue because he was promised a fair shot at the starting job. He was so determined to win back his job that he hired a team of experts to help him, physically and mentally. It was Team Chad.

He reunited with his old strength and conditioning coach, Charles Petrone, of Knoxville, Tenn., who devised an intensive training program that began Feb. 3. In addition to the Jets' staff, Pennington worked with a fitness expert, a chiropractor, an athletic trainer, an acupuncturist, a message therapist and a "mental conditioning" coach, as he called it.

"It's all about keeping your edge in this game, because they're always looking to replace you," he said last week.

After six months of training, Pennington never got a chance to compete in a game for the starting job. He believes it could be the Jets' loss.

"I feel really good about how I played here in camp," he said. "I think people saw I've become a better quarterback. They've seen the changes I've made in myself, physically and mentally. I was on my way to doing some good things as the quarterback, but our organization had different plans."

Pennington confirmed that he has received interest from several teams, including the Dolphins. He apparently has received a call from Bill Parcells, the Dolphins' vice president. Parcells was the GM when the Jets drafted Pennington in 2000.

The Jets open the regular season in Miami, but Pennington claimed the chances for revenge won't be a factor in where he decides to sign.

"I can say without a shadow of a doubt, I have no feelings about that whatsoever," he said. "If something happens with Miami, it'll be because I feel good about the situation and the opportunity. It won't have anything to do with the New York Jets or me trying to prove a point."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/08/08/2008-08-08_chad_pennington_says_jets_didnt_think_he.html

I believe that Chad believes what he says, but in his heart of hearts, there has to be a little of "I'll show them" attitude when he signed the two year deal with the Dolphins. Twice a year he will be facing his old team with or without the QB with whom they replaced him. Scalpers selling tickets to those games will make out like bandits. :cheers:

Wow. I didn't take it so much as whining as just explaining why he thought he was no longer a Jet. Way to treat a guy who busted his a$$ for you guys though. :rl:

Not all Jets fans feel this way. I liked Chad when he was here and even though I'm excited about Favre, I will miss Chad too.

I can't stand him but the honest truth is he isn't doing anything here but talking about how he feels. He played for a long time with this team and gave his all out there. I never ever in my life thought for a second he wasn't giving us all he was capable of. I'm not even going to knock him in this post. I'm sure he has a much greater emotinal attachment to the NY Jets than most of his fans do to him. He's that kind of guy.

He put his heart,soul and body on the line for us every Sunday and I respect the warrior he is.

Yeah--I think this was posted yesterday and I thought the same thing then. I thought no less of Chad after signing with Miami, personally. When it comes down to it, this is a buisness, just as it was to release Chad. He went to Miami because it was the best, and maybe only chance for him to start. Cant hold that against him....until we play Miami of course, lol.

Remember, Chad bought a boat last year or the year before. He'll get to use it more down in Miami. Geographically, he's probably closer to home as well. He definitely makes the Dolphins better. We all know Parcells knows how to put a team together. With the moves he's made so far and if Ricky stays healthy, they still could have a losing season, but it will not be nearly as devastating as it was last year.:rolleyes:

Good to know he was spending all that money they paid him wisely.

He would've started on the Vikings.

I don't understand threads like this.

When I was growing up, I was taught that you will never be successful at anything unless deep down you believe you really are the best at what you are doing. Here you have a six year starter who gets cut two days before the first preseason game to make way for someone else and you criticize him for not being happy about it?

The reason other clubs wanted Chad is that he has shown himself to be a winner throughout his career, and the way you become a winner is to believe that you are the best and convince others that they are the best at their positions too. Chad will go down to Miami and likely win the starting job there because he'll show up the first day of practice believing he is the best QB. If he didn't believe that, he wouldn't have a chance to win the job.

Because you COULDN'T get the job done here, Chad. You were injury proned and since 2005 you have not been the same Quarterback. Your best season ever as a starter was 10-6. 10 and freakin' 6. That in the AFC is good enough for the 6th Wild Card spot. Its hard to go on the road and win three straight games in route to the Super Bowl. Sure we've seen the Steelers & Giants do it years past, but those were some good teams who got hot when it mattered most. With Chad Pennington behind center you knew your offense wasn't going to get hot. It was always the damn same.

Fine. So the organization got somebody better.

But what I don't understand is criticizing a guy for acting the way I damn well expect any starting QB to act when he gets cut from the team.

If I'm a baseball manager and I go out to the mound to take the pitcher out, I want that pitcher to try to talk me out of it. If I go out there and the pitcher says to me, "Well it's about time, somebody has to bail me out of the mess I'm making here," then I'm going to conclude this fellow is in the wrong line of work. Same thing for quarterbacks, or any athlete.

The Chad bashers have been screaming for his head for years. Well, now they've got it, only this time, unlike previously, the replacement actually seems to be a real improvement. But I see nothing in Chad's comments which is different from what I would expect anyone to say or feel in the same circumstances.

Sad isn't it, not everybody acts like that though ALk, but you're right a good majority do. :confused:

sorry but that all changed the second he signed with our longest and most hated rival...all the Ahh poor Chad he was such a class act ended then-screw him...I'm a Jets fan not a Jets PLAYER fan

I couldn't find anything wrong with any of his comments.

Aside from not calling himself garbage (and not too many free agents would be dumb enough to do that), he seemed pretty matter-of-fact about it. Basically, that Mangini et al didn't think he was the right player to get them where they wanted to go, so they went with someone else. He didn't even say he thought Mangini was wrong for taking that position.

Selfishly, I wanted Chad to go somewhere that I could continue to root for him. I don't have any problem with any of his comments in this article. He has every right to feel the way he does. I'm sure his agent got him the best deal out there (I never expected a deal that size), after talking to everyone interested.

Problem is, I can never root for Chad in that uniform.

I do hope Jet fans cheer him in the opening introductions, though, before cheering for his decapitation.

I've always thought Chad was a class guy. Weak arm, class guy. Which, quite frankly, I'd never be after beeing cheered by the home town fans as I writhed in pain on the Giants stadium field last year.

It's not like the writing wasn't on the wall. Clearly pizza face wanted him out by even saying that Clemens was competing for the starters job. Clemens sucks worse than Penny. Pizza face is trying to put his mark on the team - with his guys and with vets that will buy into what he's selling (they owe him - he over-payed for half of them). Coles will buy into too once he's the recipient of some of Brett's missles. Give the pouty baby some time. I remember several players being upset when their good buddy Lawyer Millor was cut. They got over it. Winning cures all ills. :)

Like the way NE dropped Bedsore for Brady?

Some people have been onto CP's phony persona since his "you're privileged to cover us" statement to the press back in '04, not a surprise. He had to be cut right away and no team

was going to give much for a player that was on the chopping block anyway.

Going to Miami is a weak-a$$ attempt to show he's better than Favre, in a "mano-a-mano",

immediate way. It'll end in tears for CP and his sicko-phants as I expect him to be injured within the half-Parcells better have Vinny on speed dial.

Because you COULDN'T get the job done here, Chad. You were injury proned and since 2005 you have not been the same Quarterback. Your best season ever as a starter was 10-6. 10 and freakin' 6. That in the AFC is good enough for the 6th Wild Card spot. Its hard to go on the road and win three straight games in route to the Super Bowl. Sure we've seen the Steelers & Giants do it years past, but those were some good teams who got hot when it mattered most. With Chad Pennington behind center you knew your offense wasn't going to get hot. It was always the damn same.

=D>:sign0098:=D>

Archived