John Abraham: 7 Sacks So Far This Year...

crashingjet

Abraham is really turning it on this year, he's a nice hybrid type lineman and LB. The perfect firt for a 3-4. Somebody the Jets could use...

http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20081025/SPORTS02/810250333

The other is John Abraham, Atlanta's one-man sack machine. The Falcons only have 10 sacks, tied for seventh-fewest in the NFL, but Abraham has seven of them.

Unlike most defensive ends who play one position, like Eagles right defensive end Trent Cole, Abraham plays interchangeably. He rotates to find mismatches against the offensive line.

He's only 255 pounds, but his speed around the edges is too much for bigger, slower offensive tackles.

Didn't he have 3 in the first game? Give it time, he will be injured soon. Also (since it is obvious you don't know) he sucks against the run and can't cover, therefore he can't play OLB in the 3-4.

Yeah, Donnie tried that with him for the first couple of games he was our DC in '04 before the bye. It was a disaster.

He's better than Gholston.

Well i should hope for a former 13th overall pick who's been in the league for 7 or 8 years that he'd be better than a kid who's played in a handful of games. What are you John Madden?? You gonna come tell us that the team who scores the most points will win the game?? C'mon bro, there is nothing at all constructive about your post. Besides, Abe has let his opinion be known that he hates the 3-4 and did not want to play in it; he is also miserable against the run and in coverage....are these just things that slipped your mind???

Abraham is really turning it on this year, he's a nice hybrid type lineman and LB. The perfect firt for a 3-4. Somebody the Jets could use...

The other is John Abraham, Atlanta's one-man sack machine. The Falcons only have 10 sacks, tied for seventh-fewest in the NFL, but Abraham has seven of them.

Unlike most defensive ends who play one position, like Eagles right defensive end Trent Cole, Abraham plays interchangeably. He rotates to find mismatches against the offensive line.

He's only 255 pounds, but his speed around the edges is too much for bigger, slower offensive tackles.

Abraham has always been dominant when he's on the field. I think the Jets did the right thing to let him go in exchange for a late first round pick. The risk of giving him a load of money was just too great given his history of injuries both real and perceived.

On a related topic. Mawae is still an excellent center and leader. He was great when he was a Jet. Watching him pull with Randy Thomas in front of Curtis Martin was a thing a beauty.

Who cares? When we needed the guy the most in that game against the Raiders, he chose to shut it down and not play. He was only interested in his mega bucks contract for the following season. What a team player! He is exacly the type of guy that Mike Singletary was talikng about NOT wanting on his team. Me, me, me!

John Abraham is NEVER healthy when you need him the most, infact he's just injury proned. He is the defensive version of Chad Pennington. He can rush the passer like no other when healthy, the key words being when healthy, but he is also HORRIBLE against the run. Horrible.

I'm happy with what we got for him (Nick Mangold). Especially now with Calvin Pace in house and Bryan Thomas reverting back to his 06 form.

Abraham refused to play OLB on the Jets because they do not make as much as a DE... true story.

Not quite true. In fact, pretty much flat out false. He didn't refuse to play OLB. He wanted to be listed as a DE because we were franchising him, and he was going to get the top 5 average of the position he played. If he was listed as a LB then he would have received millions less. As much as I hated the guy, he was well within his rights to do that. At no time did he say he refused to play OLB, he was sitting out for a contract-something most players do if they get the franhise tag slapped on them.

He had 7 sacks after like 4 games. LOL

Yeah he's been pretty great this season, but he always was a GREAT pass rusher when healthy. I never hated Abraham to the extent some Jet fans did, he was for many years our best defensive player. He's also much improved against the run this season from what I've seen.

People were saying pre-draft that they didn't want Gholston BECAUSE he had been compared by some to J-Abe. To be honest I'd have been delighted if Gholston could have had that kind of impact pass rushing, as it turns out Gholston is more the early Bryan Thomas.

Thats BS. The Jets never played 34 when abraham was here.

That is true under Herm's regime (2001 - 2005). However, in his rookie year under Groh (2000), the jets played a 3-4 and Abraham was a situation OLB. He was playing very well until he got hurt around the sixth game of the year and missed the rest of the season.

That is true under Herm's regime (2001 - 2005). However, in his rookie year under Groh (2000), the jets played a 3-4 and Abraham was a situation OLB. He was playing very well until he got hurt around the sixth game of the year and missed the rest of the season.

True. But he barely played that year. I'd rather have Pace than him though.

The main guy who's shocked me this season in terms of sack #'s and performance has been one Joey Porter of the Dolphins. He's got something like 10.5 sacks, that's ****ing ridiculous! I've given him some flak over the years calling him overrated but he is really backing up his smack talk this season. I'll give him credit where credit is due..

The main guy who's shocked me this season in terms of sack #'s and performance has been one Joey Porter of the Dolphins. He's got something like 10.5 sacks, that's ****ing ridiculous! I've given him some flak over the years calling him overrated but he is really backing up his smack talk this season. I'll give him credit where credit is due..

You know what's funny? If Porter stays on pace he could have 24 sacks at the end of the season, breaking Strahans record. Here's my question, if Porter has 23 sacks in the last game of the season, will Favre lay down for him, like he did for Strahan?

Yeah, he's taken over Taylor's spot quite well...and that includes the crying part after that first game.

John Abraham is a monster pass-rusher.

He has no place in a 3-4 defense though.

Vilma is a solid MLB.

He has no place in a 3-4 defense though.

Don't miss either of these guys. In fact, the one guy we missed these last few years was Jason Ferguson. With Kris Jenkins in the middle, it's moot, but losing him hurt us the last few years.

You know what's funny? If Porter stays on pace he could have 24 sacks at the end of the season, breaking Strahans record. Here's my question, if Porter has 23 sacks in the last game of the season, will Favre lay down for him, like he did for Strahan?

He wouldn't have to. 23 sacks would give him the record. I believe it's only at 22 1/2 now.

Talent was never an issue with Abraham. He is a scary-good talent. His two issues was health and heart.

I would have loved to keep Abraham on the Jets, but his two issues trumped the talent with the money he's making.

Abraham got a monster deal from the Falcons in 2006 and only this year has he staid healthy and lived up to his ability.

Another fun fact about Vilma...

If here were really having a great year, and really making a big impact, then the Saints would probably not be outside of the top 20 in every major statistical category on defense outside of Rush Yards Per Game, where they are an impressive 18th.

So, again, as I've always said, Vilma compiles a lot of tackles, but never any that seem to get his defense off the field.

A good defensive performance on a drive is typically 3 tackles... a 3 and out. That's the goal, no?

Another fun fact about Vilma...

If here were really having a great year, and really making a big impact, then the Saints would probably not be outside of the top 20 in every major statistical category on defense outside of Rush Yards Per Game, where they are an impressive 18th.

So, again, as I've always said, Vilma compiles a lot of tackles, but never any that seem to get his defense off the field.

A good defensive performance on a drive is typically 3 tackles... a 3 and out. That's the goal, no?

Again with the logic, facts and intelligent observations! Will you please stop ruining the fun of our trolls??? ;)

Gee I bet the DOLFAGS could use a WR like Welker. Threads like this are typical for fans of crap teams.

Archived