According to Mort, jets expect Favre to retire

Scott Dierking

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that the Jets' front office is operating under the assumption that Brett Favre will retire.

Favre's decision of whether to play in 2009 is not expected for several more weeks, but Rex Ryan's hiring clears some things up. Assuming a report that Brian Schottenheimer will stay is true, Favre also knows he'd be in the same offense. Favre has hinted that he'll make an announcement in early February.

From Mort's mouth to God's ear.

That is the only way to operate. Plan as if Favre is not going to be on the team. If he decides to come back, then you deal with it.

The Jets don't have an QB like the Packers did who they would be chomping at the bit to hand over the team to. Even if they brought in a vet QB which seems unlikely, they would still be wise to let Favre step in and play if he wants to.

The stipulation I would put on Favre is that the longer he takes to decide, the less likely he is handed the starting job.

If Favre wait til after the draft and just before camp to make his decision he should know that he will have to compete for the job rather than have it handed to him.

oh come on

i live life 1 day at a time

next season is not for a long time

the pro bowl is in 3 weeks

The Pro Bowl has ZERO, ZILCH, NADA to do with the future direction of the Jets,

If you are a big Jet fan, you worry about the future and what the make up and the decisons related to those are going to be.

You can like the Pro Bowl, but please do not relate it to a thread of what the jets want to be, and how they will get there.

Do you cry again after you retire for the 2nd time???

It depends, do I still garner as much attention if I do? Or am I better off playing the "tough guy" and then maybe people will talk about me and how I'm ACTUALLY done. It all depends, gotta keep the people talking

- Brett Favre

It depends, do I still garner as much attention if I do? Or am I better off playing the "tough guy" and then maybe people will talk about me and how I'm ACTUALLY done. It all depends, gotta keep the people talking

- Brett Favre

Oh Brett. You are amazing. No matter what you do, we all we be constantly reminded of your greatness by the frequency of your Wrangler jeans commercials.

If he doesn't go quietly, the Jets should force him to take a paycut + incentives if he wants to stay. No way should he get another $13M from this team. Maybe that way he will go quietly, hoping that some other stupid team will pony a pick up to the Jets for the right to pay Favre the balance of a contract that Green Bay knew they'd never be paying when they signed him to it.

You guys that want brett Favre gone are f-ing crazy

We have an unknown in Brett Ratliff, and KC is a bust

Brett Favre is a top 10 QB in this league...if you think Ratty is better, you're sadly mistaken...sort of like Eagles fans asking that McNabb go away

Favre was hurt at the end of the season

Brett Favre is a top 10 QB in this league...if you think Ratty is better, you're sadly mistaken...sort of like Eagles fans asking that McNabb go away

Top 10?

Not in yardage, where he's two spots below Chad Pennington.

Not in passer rating, where he's 19 spots below Pennington.

If I'd miss Favre, I guess I must really miss Pennington, huh?

Oh, he is top 10 in TD's. Number 9 to be exact.

But where he really excels is throwing picks. He's #1 in that category. Yay Brett!

He's top 10 in fumbles, too, just to add insult to injury.

Brett Favre was one of the worst QB's in the league last season. There are no excuses, he was awful!

I agree 100%, Brett, hurry up and say you're coming, then rest, get that shoulder 100% and get into camp!!!

11 games into the season Brett was a probowler, he got hurt.Playing hurt was dumb, whatever, he thought he could do it, so did chad, they are competitors.

We got the mutha f$#ker, at least give him an entire offseason with the team. before the last five with the bum shoulder, he played 27 pretty fantastic games, about 50 TD's, 23-7 record!!!

Short leash, definitely,very short, so, yeah, find your #2, give Rat and KC a lot of work, but

BRETT FAVRE GIVES US THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN WITH WHO WE GOT!!!!!Not even close!

Also get a freaking Wide Reciever that a deep threat, maybe Clowney this year.

Another year with Cotch, him and Favre were lighting it up last year, and LC,6 TD's, anyone? against the team that's in the SB!

Another year with his favorite young target, Mr.Keller. TJ and the nasty O-line shovin down throats and of course, Mr. Big Play himself, 5 touches, one TD, Leon!

Top 10?

Not in yardage, where he's two spots below Chad Pennington.

Not in passer rating, where he's 19 spots below Pennington.

If I'd miss Favre, I guess I must really miss Pennington, huh?

Oh, he is top 10 in TD's. Number 9 to be exact.

But where he really excels is throwing picks. He's #1 in that category. Yay Brett!

He's top 10 in fumbles, too, just to add insult to injury.

where was he when we were 8-3, before the shoulder? when he threw 6td's against the SB representatives from the NFC? Where was he then? You couldn't tell he was hurt? really?

After a 13-3 career season with a team that went 6-10 when he left to 8-3 with like 20 td's, to throwing like a girl? Again, stupid and selfish, but the guy thought he could play, all the athletes do it. Mangini shoulda yanked his a$$!!!!! If he came out after 8-3 when he got hurt(Fact), what do his numbers look like, feel free to add the previous 16 games. HOF #'s, that's how they look.

BTW, I'd be very happy with Ratliff, but I'm just afraid of watching 4 or 5 Kellen Clemens games first.

Whether you want Favre back or not is, I think, irrelevant. I don't see how they have any choice but to save his $13 million in cap money. If he doesn't retire on his own, the Jets will retire him. Mr. T is good, but he is no magician. The salaries of the other FAs, who they need except for Franks and Law, has to be paid.

Archived