Are the Jets trying to buy a title?

Maxman

personally i think tannenbaum is a glorified accountant. yeah he can manage a cap......but that's probably his only assett. i mean if he cuts brandon moore, with no viable option for a replacement, just because he wants to save the cap money.....well then he's a bgger idiot than i thought he was when he just let noodle boy go to miami.

I sure hope they are trying to "buy" a title... something that isn't quite possible in the salary cap era.

How many "franchise" QBs are out there every year? There isn't even enough starting quality QBs out there let alone franchise QBs. The Jets invested in Pennington and he was showing all the signs of being a top 10 QB. It isn't their fault that he was a china doll...

So last year they get some guy with 3 MVP awards and who had just finished 2nd in the MVP voting the prior year to hold the fort. They recognized their glaring need and they brought in somebody who at the time and who through 11 games made us think they knew exactly what they were doing.

The whole inexperienced head coach thing is laughable. To me that shows that they are trying to find a long term solution to the coaching problem. We tried the experienced route with the best in the business (Parcells) who walked away from the position. We gave a million dollars to Bill B. as a gesture in good faith that he would take the position after Tuna retired and he took the mil and ran. How can the Jets be trying to "buy" a championship and then be accused of handing this high priced talent over to an inexperienced coach?

Oh... and some dude named Cowher said NO. Guess the Jets didn't try to talk to him and it was just Cowher saying no for the hell of it.

I usually like to read these articles but I just don't agree with a good deal of what this one had to say.

The point that Tyson is making that I agree with - you are not going to win only by throwing money at all types of free agents- the only way to build a great team is to draft good players to count on.

Look at your sucessful teams like Pittsburgh. They win by having great drafts, year after year. It seems like the Steelers lose a big FA every year but they have someone they drafted in the wings to take over.

tyson has many good critiques but few good ideas. Ron Wolf is about a hundred years old and out of football for years. Yeh they need a franchise QB, better go down to the franchise QB market and pickup a couple. can't buy a title, so better stop trying? i don't get his point, if there is one.

Nice read - and I agree - If we sign Ray Lewis this will be in the same class as Daniel Snyder with the REdskins -- a bad move.

I disagree, signing Lewis isn't going to be done because it's going to make us win a SB next season. It's to bring a way of playing to the Jets that they don't have. Lewis will help the new guys as well as the old guys play like they did in Baltimore and give us a jump start for the next 10 years. We need someone who will get players like BT and VG to play every down or get off the ****ing field and I think Lewis and Ryan can do that.

I disagree, signing Lewis isn't going to be done because it's going to make us win a SB next season. It's to bring a way of playing to the Jets that they don't have. Lewis will help the new guys as well as the old guys play like they did in Baltimore and give us a jump start for the next 10 years. We need someone who will get players like BT and VG to play every down or get off the ****ing field and I think Lewis and Ryan can do that.

Point taken mick -- In that case maybe Derrick Brooks mightr be worth a look - and he might come cheaper.

The point that Tyson is making that I agree with - you are not going to win only by throwing money at all types of free agents- the only way to build a great team is to draft good players to count on.

Well, i think they are doing both, it isn't like they are giving up a bunch of number 1 and 2 picks for these guys in trades. Look at guys like leon, mangold, dbrick, revis, rhodes, harris,dustin, and (hopefully) gholston. A lot of solid recent picks there. We also have a few on the bench who maay emerge this year.

I hope he is. And I hope he makes the purchase.

I don't give a damn if there is a 31 team disaster and the Jets are the only team standing and, thus, win the SB by default. Just win one in my lifetime damnit!!!!!!!!!!!!

tyson has many good critiques but few good ideas. Ron Wolf is about a hundred years old and out of football for years. Yeh they need a franchise QB, better go down to the franchise QB market and pickup a couple. can't buy a title, so better stop trying? i don't get his point, if there is one.

Exactly. This isn't Major League Baseball where one team can spend $250M on talent if they want to try and "buy a championship." Every team must operate under the same salary cap. The goal is to try and get as many talented players as possible to fit under that cap because, while not rocket science, the more talented players you have on your roster the better chance at WINNING a championship you have.

People will say that guys like Daniel Snyder and Jerry Jones have tried to buy championships and it has failed. That isn't true. They spent the allowed money they could spend to try and bring in talented players they THOUGHT would give them the best chance at winning.

Buying a championship in NFL-terms is such a stupid, stupid phrase.

Duh. They're trying to improve the team and provide both themselves and their fans the best possible chance of WINNING a title.

Stupid.

finally, someone has opened their wallet... 40 years later..a title does not go hand in hand though...but its a beginning ........ lets go woody.......

I hope he is. And I hope he makes the purchase.

I don't give a damn if there is a 31 team disaster and the Jets are the only team standing and, thus, win the SB by default. Just win one in my lifetime damnit!!!!!!!!!!!!

A-FREAKIN-MEN!

I couldn't disagree with this post more. Free Agency is a big part of the NFL and the Jets are finally stepping up and spending cash. Why would you criticize them for it? It's not like Woody is going out after TO- say what you want but Favre was certainly not a bust. It gave us a politically correct way to ditch Pennington and gave our younger quarterbacks a year of tutelage under Brett f&^%ing Favre.

Free Agency is a fact of life and as long as you try to brig in pieces that will fit without destroying the chemistry, you have to keep playing the market. I think last year's choices were good- Pace, Jenkins, Fanneca- seven pro-bowlers on the Jets. When's the last time that happened?

Part of the reason the NFL rocks is the parody in the league. You've got to work every season to keep your team competitive. The fans spend their $$$ and so must Woody.

As always appreciate the feedback but Wolf has not been out of football for years. He has done several consulting gigs, including working with Parcells both in Dallas and Miami. I am also not stuck to Wolf, but would like to bring in someone to a look at the franchise as a whole. Vermeil, Reeves, Casserly..it could not hurt. As for the franchise quarterback "market" the point may have come off wrong. Instead of pursuing stop gaps like Favre and now possibly Warner, why not be aggressive for a guy that could be around a while? Especially in terms of the draft.

As always appreciate the feedback but Wolf has not been out of football for years. He has done several consulting gigs, including working with Parcells both in Dallas and Miami. I am also not stuck to Wolf, but would like to bring in someone to a look at the franchise as a whole. Vermeil, Reeves, Casserly..it could not hurt. As for the franchise quarterback "market" the point may have come off wrong. Instead of pursuing stop gaps like Favre and now possibly Warner, why not be aggressive for a guy that could be around a while? Especially in terms of the draft.

Where is this coming from? He said he wants to play as a Card or retire...

The JETS brought in a "stop gap" Brett Favre because they had a 1st round QB who they didnt like anymore and a 2nd round QB who could not make the leap... it is not like they WANTED to use a stop gap... they did not have much choice really...

Think about it... if they go QB in the 1st again this year thats two 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick on QBs in this decade alone... 3 high draft picks on one position means that you will need to buy other players on the open market... there are 22 starting spots on the team... using that many high draft picks leaves you with very few option in terms of finding starters...

Instead of pursuing stop gaps like Favre and now possibly Warner, why not be aggressive for a guy that could be around a while? Especially in terms of the draft.

In 3 years under his watch, they've spent a 2nd round draft pick on one, a 5th on another, and have traded picks for not 1, but 2 QB's during that time period. Only one of these players can be considered a true stop-gap due to his age. Not to mention the fact that they released the QB everyone outside of the locker room hated...despite the fact that he can still play at a more than capable level. Hate to break it to you, but that IS aggressive. Aggression isn't defined in terms of simply whether or not you draft a QB with a 1st round draft pick. On the contrary, they've been aggressive in the sense that they've exhausted every single other option in an effort to safeguard themselves from the horrific outcome of having a 1st round QB bust out on you.

Rather than disguising your resentment towards not drafting Flacco or Cutler, you should just come out and say it instead of hiding your point in ill-conceived logic. In terms of the salary issues, JMJ pretty much said everything that needed to be said already.

1st round pick on Chad

got Fiedler in FA

Traded for Ramsey

2nd round pick on Clemens

Drafted Ainge

Traded for Favre

and now here we are back to possibly spending another high draft choice on a QB... the JETS are being aggressive and trying to find the guy... how many other teams have drafted TWO high QB choices and traded for a HOF QB in the last 8 seasons?

It's very hard to 'buy a championship' in the NFL because so many players are needed and there's a salary cap preventing that sort of thing...which is why there's so much parody in the league.

The Jets are very aggressive in their quest for a championship, and they're going after the players they feel can bring them a title -- in both free agency and the draft. They've traded up twice in the 1st round to select players they wanted.

Revis and Keller weren't 'sexy' picks, but I don't think many people are questioning the picks anymore.

Did they pay too much for Faneca? Probably, but remember how dreadful that OL was in 2007. Calvin Pace might be overpaid, but he proved that he's a pretty good player who has some upside. He's also been a team player and restructured his contract. The Jets are cutting the guys they don't believe in or think are overpaid for what they offer -- and in my opinion, they were right about those choices.

Not many people were complaining about Brett Favre when this team was sitting at 8-3.

I like how our front office talks about their desire to win championship, and they're willing to put their (Woody's) money where their mouth is.

no philly is a prime example, samuel is the only guy they really spent any coin on ....mcnabb over time.....they are always under the cap....and always one player short of the big one

That's more like it.

At least the Jets are trying to get the players they're missing.

oh they have had all the players...just lack in a consistent qb......did you change what i said......

Yes, I did change what you wrote...should I have put a 'fixed' there? I thought it was pretty clear.

Philly is always just one player short of a title. The one time they had a legit WR for McNabb, they almost won the Super Bowl. I can't believe the owners have let this team go so long without going after a WR.

Woody is a better owner than that.

Yes, I did change what you wrote...should I have put a 'fixed' there? I thought it was pretty clear.

Philly is always just one player short of a title. The one time they had a legit WR for McNabb, they almost won the Super Bowl. I can't believe the owners have let this team go so long without going after a WR.

so they played with 21 players.... now i understand......garcia and feeley did pretty well , had no trouble with the same receivers , your right eleven years of bad receivers...we would have been much better off with octopuses

so they played with 21 players.... now i understand......garcia and feeley did pretty well , had no trouble with the same receivers , your right eleven years of bad receivers...we would have been much better off with octopuses

To be honest... throw Randy moss onto this team in 04' and I am almost positive the JETS might have been able to win that Pitt game without having to worry about Doug Brien...

Its easy to look back though... but there has not been a legit #1 WR on this team in a long time...

this conversation is about philly.....with a lovemike , a side track

Strange... Philly has an owner named Woody too?

Archived