Ellard Checks out Terps

SoFlaJets

HB is interesting. He wasnt very productive in college but its not like the Terps had a stellar passing game. He has the proto-type speed and size. But that lack of production is concerning.

Is he really a 1st round talent?

I really dont like taking a WR were we are in the first round, anyone we pick there will be reach.

Also, Crabtree and Maclin scare the snot out of me. I am hoping we dont have to make that choice and they are gone before we pick. Kind of the same thing I hoped for with Gholston. I dont want to make the decision because I dont feel good about either players, but you have to highly consider either at 17 purely based of talent.

At this point, I want the best available DE or try to find a trading partner to see if we can drop further back in the first and then maybe take WR in a spot that wont be a reach and also pick up another pick.

HB is interesting. He wasnt very productive in college but its not like the Terps had a stellar passing game. He has the proto-type speed and size. But that lack of production is concerning.

I really dont like taking a WR were we are in the first round, anyone we pick there will be reach.

Also, Crabtree and Maclin scare the snot out of me. I am hoping we dont have to make that choice and they are gone before we pick. Kind of the same thing I hoped for with Gholston. I dont want to make the decision because I dont feel good about either players, but you have to highly consider either at 17 purely based of talent.

At this point, I want the best available DE or try to find a trading partner to see if we can drop further back in the first and then maybe take WR in a spot that wont be a reach and also pick up another pick.

talent? yes. production? no.

Percy Harvin.....might be our guy.

Kenny Britt or the 6'6" guy from Cal-Poly.

Ramses Barden, the 6'6" receiver you're talking about, is more of a mid round prospect. Probably late 2nd would be best case for him, but he definitely is an interesting prospect.

The thing that I don't like about calling a player a reach, is what is that based on? A lot of people mock Mel Kiper, McShay and the rest of them, but then when people say a reach, are they basing it on these same peoples' big boards or their own?

We have no idea what our teams' big board looks like, if we take a player at the 17th slot, than that probably means he was right arond that spot value wise. I just think saying a player is a reach is purely subjective.

DHB didn't blow up the stat sheets, but he had pretty good production and has the some of the best potential. We're drafting for what we think they can do in the NFL not for what they did in college. If that were the case, Austin Collie would probably be a 1st rounder and not a 2nd or 3rd.

The thing that I don't like about calling a player a reach, is what is that based on? A lot of people mock Mel Kiper, McShay and the rest of them, but then when people say a reach, are they basing it on these same peoples' big boards or their own?

We have no idea what our teams' big board looks like, if we take a player at the 17th slot, than that probably means he was right arond that spot value wise. I just think saying a player is a reach is purely subjective.

DHB didn't blow up the stat sheets, but he had pretty good production and has the some of the best potential. We're drafting for what we think they can do in the NFL not for what they did in college. If that were the case, Austin Collie would probably be a 1st rounder and not a 2nd or 3rd.

I understand that, but the entire draft preperation is subjective. Its a crap shoot. You never know who is going to be what in the NFL.

All I can do is look at 2 things, what did they do in college and does their game translate to the NFL. Or what did they do in their workout and is that potential worth a selection.

IMO taking a guy that's best season in college was 50 grabs and 5 TD's in the first round is extremely scary. If he only produced that in the NCAA, do you really think that will change in the NFL?

IMO taking a guy that's best season in college was 50 grabs and 5 TD's in the first round is extremely scary. If he only produced that in the NCAA, do you really think that will change in the NFL?

Because we have pro QBs throwing him the ball. Oh...wait... ;)

I understand that, but the entire draft preperation is subjective. Its a crap shoot. You never know who is going to be what in the NFL.

All I can do is look at 2 things, what did they do in college and does their game translate to the NFL. Or what did they do in their workout and is that potential worth a selection.

I understand that 50 grabs and 5 tds isn't ideal, but it's not terrible, considering the extenuating circumstances...ie. his coach didn't get him the ball enough and even admitted it after the season and his QB was aweful. What you have to look at his what he did when he was targeted and it's pretty impressive.

There are plenty of people, for whatever reason, that don't put up huge numbers in college, the first person who comes to my mind was TO. He had a breakout year his sophmore year, than had something like 3 or 4 tds combined in his Junior and Senior year.

I know TO was drafted in the 3rd round, but this just shows how meaningless college stats can be. He turned out to be one of the best receivers ever, becaue his game translated well to the NFL.

We could go back and forth on this argument, but the bottom line is do you think his game translates well to the next level, and i do. He has the size, the speed, the leaping ability and has shown he has the hands as well.

I just don't think Nicks is going to be anything special, that's just me. I see a player who thrived on the short crossing routes to get the ball into his hands and then used his YAC ability to do damage. Well, I don't think he has the ability to get deep over the top of NFL CBs, who will then be able to play him inside and cut off all those inside routes and compeltely diminish his affectiveness.

If we take Nicks than I'm sure our staff thinks he's the real deal, same goes for any other receiver. I want a WR in the first, that's about all I care about. I just have a preference for DHB and Maclin.

How about Colston??? His high was 51 catches and around 900 yards with 7 touchdowns in his best year. I know he was a 7th round pick, I'm just trying to say that you can't base everything off of college production. He had great size and speed and it actually worked out. That is usually out of the norm, but hey you never know.

I would think Heyward-Bey would be a top of the 2nd round pick. I myself would not pick him at #17. There's a question about his hands coming out of college but he seems to have improved that aspect of his game. Also, like you mention, Maryland did not have a steller passing game either.

Really for me its hard to decide who I want more at 17 between Heyward-Bey and Nicks. I guess, gun to my head, I'd go with Heyward-Bey just because he is a little bit taller and because he is fast and we badly need a deep threat although some in the organization, supposedly, believe that David Clowney can be that guy, you can always have two receivers spreading the field, it certainly doesn't hurt.

You really can't worry about this "reaching" BS. Reggie Wayne was considered a reach when he went #30 overall, even after Koren Robinson and Freddie Mitchell went before him. Jay Cutler was considered a reach at #4 the year we took D'Brick, now Jet fans are prepared to give their firstborn up for the guy. Conversely, Vernon Gholston was a consensus top 6 pick last year.

You gotta do your due diligence, and pull the trigger on the guy you think is best. It is a crapshoot. Doesn't matter what position you're talking about. In a year that's supposed to be something of a bumper crop for WR's, I'd like to see them grab the one they like best at #17 - rather than trading down or waiting for the second round and picking up the scraps.

You really can't worry about this "reaching" BS. Reggie Wayne was considered a reach when he went #30 overall, even after Koren Robinson and Freddie Mitchell went before him. Jay Cutler was considered a reach at #4 the year we took D'Brick, now Jet fans are prepared to give their firstborn up for the guy. Conversely, Vernon Gholston was a consensus top 6 pick last year.

You gotta do your due diligence, and pull the trigger on the guy you think is best. It is a crapshoot. Doesn't matter what position you're talking about. In a year that's supposed to be something of a bumper crop for WR's, I'd like to see them grab the one they like best at #17 - rather than trading down or waiting for the second round and picking up the scraps.

:sign0098: Excellent post. The draft IS a crap shoot. Look at all the 1st rounders who have flopped over the years. You do the best you can with the information you have ; but you never REALLY know what you have till the games start.

Some of you keep throwing out examples of players that are successful in the NFL that werent productive in college and everyone you guys are throwing out were NOT taken in the first round.

Bottom line guys, you dont reach for a player that wasnt productive in college in the first round based off a workout and potential. It doesnt happen.

DBH was not productive in college, taking him at 17 is a reach. Plain and simple. You dont take an unproven player because of a workout in the first round.

true, more often than not (it seems) the better receivers are found in the later rounds

Just my theory ... WR 1st rounders tend to be drafted for potential, i.e., what the teams think the WR can be while the later rounders are drafted for what they are. They have a lower ceiling, but tend to be more polished receivers than their 1st round counterparts.

Very rarely do you find a WR prospect with good hands and knows how to run routes fail in the NFL.

Some of you keep throwing out examples of players that are successful in the NFL that werent productive in college and everyone you guys are throwing out were NOT taken in the first round.

Bottom line guys, you dont reach for a player that wasnt productive in college in the first round based off a workout and potential. It doesnt happen.

DBH was not productive in college, taking him at 17 is a reach. Plain and simple. You dont take an unproven player because of a workout in the first round.

Fwiw, Friedgen grossly underutilized him this year, to the point where fans and the media were b-tching about it regularly. Maryland's lack of offense at times was pretty bad and wasn't his fault at all. At his best (i.e. the Wake and VaTech games), he's nothing short of amazing to watch. To give him the benefit of the doubt though, as I think he's been a great coach for Maryland, he's never had a WR even remotely close to that type of talent (Davis is the closest, different position though and he was more versatile on offense) and never had to utilize a WR as such. Especially someone with his deep-ball ability. Honestly, it was more of a product of his coach than his actual skills. He's been projected as a 1st rounder for quite some time, long before the combine actually.

EDIT: Just to follow up on that, his lack of #'s is already hurting him enough, and one of the main reasons behind him declaring is the fact that it's a lock that his stats wouldn't get any better next year anyways.

Fwiw, Friedgen grossly underutilized him this year, to the point where fans and the media were b-tching about it regularly. Maryland's lack of offense at times was pretty bad and wasn't his fault at all. At his best (i.e. the Wake and VaTech games), he's nothing short of amazing to watch. To give him the benefit of the doubt though, as I think he's been a great coach for Maryland, he's never had a WR even remotely close to that type of talent (Davis is the closest, different position though and he was more versatile on offense) and never had to utilize a WR as such. Especially someone with his deep-ball ability. Honestly, it was more of a product of his coach than his actual skills. He's been projected as a 1st rounder for quite some time, long before the combine actually.

EDIT: Just to follow up on that, his lack of #'s is already hurting him enough, and one of the main reasons behind him declaring is the fact that it's a lock that his stats wouldn't get any better next year anyways.

IMO, he screams Troy Williamson and he is a reach in the first round whether he was projected in the first or not.

I am just having a hard time believing that all these WR's are first round talent. Especially considering WR's are notoriously found in later rounds and are just as notorious to bust in the first.

Bey is a raw receiver his route running is sloppy and he needs to work on his hands but he's got two things that can't be taught size and speed, mark my words if we do not take him he'll be gone by pick 22, probably the Bears. I see him having a de-sean jackson type year if we pick him, brain farts but gamebreaking plays. Nicks is the complete opposite, great route runner, great hands polished reciver that can step in day one and start....problem is he's Cotchery only an inch taller and I don't think that really helps. However if Clowney is what he could be, Nicks would be the perfect choice, so I guess it all depends on what Ellard and Schotty think of our WR corps.

IMO, he screams Troy Williamson and he is a reach in the first round whether he was projected in the first or not.

I am just having a hard time believing that all these WR's are first round talent. Especially considering WR's are notoriously found in later rounds and are just as notorious to bust in the first.

You're harping on his production, if you'd like to ignore the circumstances that contributed to stats that don't exactly jump off the page, that's too bad, but Maryland's offense was literally that painful to watch at times. Had absolutely nothing to do with him as a player.

Bey has not in any way shape or form exhibited the tendencies that made Williamson a failure. You think they're comparable because of their 40 times and a stat sheet that has a legit explanation behind it. But let's be honest, you've made up your mind and are sticking to it, even if people who actually watch ACC ball take the time to explain things to you.

Grades are grades dude, if you choose not to buy it due to the quantity of players garnering their rankings, that's just ridiculous. There's been plenty of drafts where there hasn't been even 1 WR carrying a first round grade. Such is the NFL draft, some years positions are deep, and some years they aren't.

Bey is a raw receiver his route running is sloppy and he needs to work on his hands but he's got two things that can't be taught size and speed, mark my words if we do not take him he'll be gone by pick 22, probably the Bears. I see him having a de-sean jackson type year if we pick him, brain farts but gamebreaking plays. Nicks is the complete opposite, great route runner, great hands polished reciver that can step in day one and start....problem is he's Cotchery only an inch taller and I don't think that really helps.

Short, simple, and to the point. Well said.

You're harping on his production, if you'd like to ignore the circumstances that contributed to stats that don't exactly jump off the page, that's too bad, but Maryland's offense was literally that painful to watch at times. Had absolutely nothing to do with him as a player.

Bey has not in any way shape or form exhibited the tendencies that made Williamson a failure. You think they're comparable because of their 40 times and a stat sheet that has a legit explanation behind it. But let's be honest, you've made up your mind and are sticking to it, even if people who actually watch ACC ball take the time to explain things to you.

Grades are grades dude, if you choose not to buy it due to the quantity of players garnering their rankings, that's just ridiculous. There's been plenty of drafts where there hasn't been even 1 WR carrying a first round grade. Such is the NFL draft, some years positions are deep, and some years they aren't.

I understand all that, but to ask him to come into the NFL and do what hasnt done before is asking too much. Us drafting him at 17, is basically saying, you're our #1. In most offensive systems in the NFL, that requires a WR to catch around 80 balls. Its risky to ask a player that has never caught pases at that pace to step into the NFL and do that consistently. Especially with no real Qb to speak of.

I understand all that, but to ask him to come into the NFL and do what hasnt done before is asking too much. Us drafting him at 17, is basically saying, you're our #1. In most offensive systems in the NFL, that requires a WR to catch around 80 balls. Its risky to ask a player that has never caught pases at that pace to step into the NFL and do that consistently. Especially with no real Qb to speak of.

We aren't asking him to do anything that he hasn't done, that just wouldn't be smart. We would ask him to come in, be our #2 or #3 and learn the game. He was averaging roughly 4 catches a game and extrapolate that out for a 16 game season and that's 64 catches; not too bad for a first year receiver.

His speed alone would force defenses to alter their game plan as well as have the ability to roll coverages and force attention.

He dominated the gauntlet at the combine, showing great hands while attacking the ball and not letting it get into his body. He also performed great at his pro-day showing excellent hands, so whenever I hear people say his route running and hands are questionable while he has good speed, I know they didn't watch many Maryland games (this isn't directed at you, just i've see it posted many times).

Like RJF said, Friedgen ran a very conservative offense, and when he did pass, he constantly ran go routes to DHB downfield. The first game that they ran the shorter routes, DHB tore up Wake Forest. This was also the first time I saw this year that he wasn't being double teamed, due to Alphonso Smith, a potential first round pick, manning up on him. He torched Wake for 11 catches 100+ yards and 1 td.

It's now a matter of opinion really. You like Nicks, because he has one great year of college production along with very good hands, but I just happen to think that DHB's game translates better to the NFL as far as #1 potential.

I've been supporting Nicks; he's pro-ready and safe. But, Percy Harvin might be the way to go. He's a game breaker that better compliments Cotchery.

Getting Harvin, Keller and Leon on the field at one time is more problematic than Nicks, Keller and Leon.

true, more often than not (it seems) the better receivers are found in the later rounds

No. Unless by later rounds you mean the second or third round, but even then the best WR's in the NFL are largely former #1 picks. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of busts, too. It's a boom or bust proposition drafting WR early.

Archived