CB Samari Rolle to vist Jets ~ ProFootballTalk

Why is this even a conversation?

Doesnt Denver have Champ Baily? Does anyone honestly think that CB would be the position that Denver would covet when thinking of trading Cutler?

They do, however Champ Bailey is 30 years old and never recovered last year with his injury. He had surgery this offseason for another "injury" that wasn't even reported during the season.

He could be on a fast decline, much like Chris McAlister.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They do, however Champ Bailey is 30 years old and never recovered last year with his injury. He had surgery this offseason for another "injury" that wasn't even reported during the season.

He could be on a fast decline, much like Chris McAlister.

Good point.

Doesnt Denver have Champ Baily? Does anyone honestly think that CB would be the position that Denver would covet when thinking of trading Cutler?

It's not like the second one is redundant. Denver isn't specifically looking to get a corner in return for Cutler, it's just that Revis is one of the few players we have that is young and good and movable enough to realistically be a chip in a potential deal.

Now that I had some time to think about it...

Revis for Cutler straight up...

I would do it...

They are both proven good players at their position... Revis is/could be great though I am curious to see how he does when teams cant just pick apart the LB's and #2 CB while leaving him alone... stick a decent #2 and Revis will get picked on some more...

I dont think the value for Revis will be there in a couple years when he demands a new HUGE deal... a good QB and good front 7 on D are both more important than CB... you can win with just good CBs... you dont need the best in the game...

Long term... Cutler would have much more value to the JETs than Revis...

And another thing.................

Does anyone see our defensive minded head coach trading our best defensive player for a QB?

I don't.

Sure, why not? Mangini notwithstanding, 'defensive minded head coach' doesn't mean idiot.

You left out the 18 picks (2nd in the league...guess who was first). Also his QB rating of 86.0 was only okay, not elite.

By comparison, here is Kenny O'Brien in 1985:

3,888 yards, 25 TDs, 8 INTs, Rating: 96.2 <=== elite

Here is Vinnie's 1998 season:

3,256 yards, 29 TDs, 7 INTs, Rating: 101.6 <=== elite

Want to know who's season Cutler's most closely resembles? Another Denver QB. Not Elway...

4,089 yards, 27 TDs, 20 INTs, Rating: 84.5 <=== Jake Plummer

Sorry...I like Cutler's potential for a 3rd year QB, but in no way does he deserve the 'elite' label yet - particularly since he's done nothing in the post-season. He might be a top-12 QB now and grow into a top-5 QB soon. Revis is a top-5 CB right now and should stay there for a long time to come.

I don't make that trade.

Plummer had 20 interceptions in 521 pass attempts (3.8%).

Favre had 22 interceptions in 522 pass attempts (4.2%).

Cutler had 18 interceptions in 618 pass attempts (2.9%).

Pass attempt for pass attempt, Plummer threw picks over 30% more often than Cutler. Favre at 45% more often than Cutler. They aren't in the same ballpark.

It would make just as little sense for me to say that Ryan Grant is a better RB than Adrian Peterson because he has more rushing yards in 2007-2008 than Peterson had in 2008 alone. Well, Ryan Grant has more rushing attempts over that two-year span than Peterson had just in 2008.

Someone who throws 5 interceptions in 100 attempts is doing a worse job than someone who throws 5 interceptions in 200 attempts.

Also,

• In 1998, the Jets had the #2 defense in the NFL (16-17 ppg) and weren't in must-pass situations too often (certainly when compared to Cutler in 2008).
  • In 2000 (Vin's next season) the Jets had the #13 defense (>20 ppg) and he threw 25 interceptions.

• In 1985, the Jets had the #3 defense in the NFL (16-17 ppg).
  • In 1986, the Jets had the #22 defense in the NFL (24-25 ppg). Mr. "Elite" threw 20 interceptions that year.

• In 2008, the Broncos had the #30 defense in the NFL (28 ppg).

See a pattern?

There was a stat in one of the articles the last two days that was pretty telling. The article mentioned how Cutler is 17-20 as a starter, to which some people may say "wow, he sucks". The article then mentioned how his record when the Broncos give up less than 24 points is 13-4. So that means he was 4-16 when they give up more than 24 points. Not great, but that also means he was probably in shootouts which would explain his high INT %.

Think about it like this: the Denver defense gave up over 24 points in 20 of his 37 starts.

With even a halfway decent defense around him, I think he would be very good.

Also, look at Eli Manning's stats his 3rd year. Not great either. Then look at his stats in his 4th year? Still not great, except for that little trophy he got to hoist. How did he get to do it? With a great running game and dominating defense.

People get way too caught up in a QB's stats, but there is a whole team around him. Cutler is still young, so he can definitely improve even more.

Plummer had 20 interceptions in 521 pass attempts (3.8%).

Favre had 22 interceptions in 522 pass attempts (4.2%).

Cutler had 18 interceptions in 618 pass attempts (2.9%).

Pass attempt for pass attempt, Plummer threw picks over 30% more often than Cutler. Favre at 45% more often than Cutler. They aren't in the same ballpark.

It would make just as little sense for me to say that Ryan Grant is a better RB than Adrian Peterson because he has more rushing yards in 2007-2008 than Peterson had in 2008 alone. Well, Ryan Grant has more rushing attempts over that two-year span than Peterson had just in 2008.

Someone who throws 5 interceptions in 100 attempts is doing a worse job than someone who throws 5 interceptions in 200 attempts.

By the same token:

Cutler threw 25 TDs in his 618 pass attempts (1 per 24.72) [7.3 ypa]

Favre threw 22 TDs in his 522 pass attempts (1 per 23.72) [6.7 ypa]

O'Brien ('85) 25 TDs in 485 pass attempts (1 per 19.4) [8.0 ypa]

Jake Plummer ('04) 27 TDs in 521 pass attempts (1 per 19.26) [7.8 ypa]

If you're going to divide the INTs by attempts then divide the rest of the stats too. Cutler accumulated last season. Want some evidence?

Cutler's 7.3 ypa put him 12th in the league among QBs with >100 attempts. His QB rating placed him 15th among starters. His completion percentage of 62.3 placed him 14th. His Att/TD was 14th but his ATT/INT was 6th worst in the league. You compared him to Favre, who we all agree had a horrible year for INTs but that's hardly an endorsement for Cutler by itself.

Mind you, I don't disagree that he has raw talent and could become a great QB. Most of the great ones have a rocky start. BUT...his numbers from last year are inflated because of the amazingly high Pass Attempts. His actual performance was generally middle-of-the-pack.

There...I said it....Jay Cutler is not yet performing like an elite QB.

This debate is moot. It would never happen. We'd have to ship over draft considerations as well and that's where you can start having the debate on whether it's worth it.

Revis and this year's first rounder + late round is probably what it would take and honestly what would that do for this franchise? It'd assure that Cutler would have only Keller and Cotch to throw to, and that's not going to be good enough. They don't have Brandon Marshall on this team.

By the same token:

If you're going to divide the INTs by attempts then divide the rest of the stats too. Cutler accumulated last season. Want some evidence?

Cutler's 7.3 ypa put him 12th in the league among QBs with >100 attempts. His QB rating placed him 15th among starters. His completion percentage of 62.3 placed him 14th. His Att/TD was 14th but his ATT/INT was 6th worst in the league. You compared him to Favre, who we all agree had a horrible year for INTs but that's hardly an endorsement for Cutler by itself.

Mind you, I don't disagree that he has raw talent and could become a great QB. Most of the great ones have a rocky start. BUT...his numbers from last year are inflated because of the amazingly high Pass Attempts. His actual performance was generally middle-of-the-pack.

While I agree with the premise that jay is not an elite qb at the present time, stats in football prove absolutely nothing imo.

Jets Make Offer to Rolle

As I reported earlier this evening for Sirius, Samari Rolle spent the day at the Jets facility in Florham Park, New Jersey and the Jets now have an offer on the table for the former Baltimore Ravens cornerback.

The two sides are negotiating and it is expected that a deal will take a couple of days but I would expect this to be completed sooner than later.

Rolle was scheduled to make $4.1 million in 2009 with the Ravens. He will certainly not be getting that kind of money with the Jets.

I'll let you know when I hear final word.

This should do it for the Jets in the secondary. After retaining Abram Elam earlier this week (who was a restricted free agent) by matching a $1.5 million offer from the Cleveland Browns, I would think activity we won't see any more acquisitions to this unit. Although we certainly might see a pickup in the later rounds of the upcoming Draft.

Bassett Sez;

That it’s going to take a few days basically means that the agent & player are curious to see if there’s more money somewhere else, because the deal is likely a veteran minimum, or close to it, type of deal.

Secondary Starters? Check

Secondary Depth? Check

Linebacking Starters? Check

Linebacking Depth? 1-2 more players

D-Line Starters? Check

D-Line Depth? Youth needed

Jets Make Offer to Rolle

As I reported earlier this evening for Sirius, Samari Rolle spent the day at the Jets facility in Florham Park, New Jersey and the Jets now have an offer on the table for the former Baltimore Ravens cornerback.

The two sides are negotiating and it is expected that a deal will take a couple of days but I would expect this to be completed sooner than later.

Rolle was scheduled to make $4.1 million in 2009 with the Ravens. He will certainly not be getting that kind of money with the Jets.

This should do it for the Jets in the secondary. After retaining Abram Elam earlier this week (who was a restricted free agent) by matching a $1.5 million offer from the Cleveland Browns, I would think activity we won't see any more acquisitions to this unit. Although we certainly might see a pickup in the later rounds of the upcoming Draft.

Bassett Sez;

That it

By the same token:

I only brought up Favre because you did. You point out that his int total was 2nd worst to Favre, so I pointed out something you didn't: being 2nd behind Favre insinuates they were similar in this regard. They were not, as Favre threw picks about 50% more frequently than Cutler.

You are still comparing apples and oranges. Show me what Cutler's stats would look like if he had the NFL's #2 or #3 defense (or while not playing through undiagnosed & untreated diabetes), since you like comparing him to QB's who had that in their back pockets. Or compare his stats to those who had the NFL's 30th-ranked defense themselves.

You think a bad defense has no effect on a QB's numbers? I showed you what those same QB's numbers were their next seasons when the team's defenses weren't nearly as good. They weren't just a little worse; they were horrible.

And how do you figure his ATT/INT ratio is 6th worst in the league?

616 attempts, 18 INT's = 2.9 INT's per 100 passes attempted. That's about average for QB's who are in shootouts in most of their games. The only one markedly better was Kurt Warner who I'd say has a little more experience.

I don't know where you're getting some of these stats from, but they're wrong.

His 7.3 YPA was 10th, not 12th.

His 4.1 ATT/TD was 12th, not 14th.

QB rating and completion percentage are stats that favor those who attempt a disproportionate amount of safe dumpoff passes. I take for granted that it's easier to complete a 3-yard pass than a 20-yard pass. And even still, his 62.5% career mark is 13th and 87.1 QB rating is 14th -- in NFL history. As in there are about a dozen players to ever play the position with better marks. And that's with him attempting a lot of deep passes. Plus at 25 years old, he has hardly reached his prime as an NFL QB. He hasn't even entered his prime yet.

The INT/ATT was 7th-worst (in a 3-way tie), and among QB's with worse numbers were Tony Romo (whose defense gave up 5.2 ppg less than Denver) and Ben Roethlisberger (whose defense gave up 14 ppg less than Denver).

Further, you're weighing insignificant discrepancies as though they were far more significant.

For example, he may have been in a 3-way tie for 7th-worst, but there's a difference of 0.4% between him and a median player (for this stat) 7 "slots" ahead of him. A player 7 "slots" below him had a difference of 2.1%.

You tell me how statistically significant it is for a player to throw an interception in 2.7% of his attempts or 2.9%. It means he throws one more pick every 34.5 attempts. Someone who had an "elite" season like Brees (2.7%) threw one every 37.0 attempts. This isn't exactly an enormous difference. It's not like most QB's throw an interception once every 50 attempts and he throws one every 20 attempts. So "ranking" is a relative term. What if I said 2.9% is the 12th-best mark anyone had?

And is he a worse QB for an interception thrown that bounces off his receiver's hands, pops up in the air, and lands in the hands of a defender? Because if you only count 1x that happened, it brings his INT percentage down to about 2.7% (19th instead of 24th) and his TD percentage up to 4.2% (11th instead of tied for 12th). I don't know of any interceptions that bounced off a defenders hands into those of one of his receivers to balance that out. Oh, and Denver would have had one more win & would have gone to the playoffs.

You are attempting to draw equivalents in situations to QB's with legitimate RB's instead of a revolving door of injuries (and who ran the ball 500+ times compared to the paltry 387 times the Broncos did) and infinitely better defenses.

I'm not saying that he's been as good as any QB's ever been. That's ridiculous. What I am saying is that he's pretty impressive for a guy who's 25 years old with only two full seasons under his belt & who had bad situations in both of those seasons: a year of undiagnosed & untreated diabetes and a year where his defense gave up 28 ppg.

You are still comparing apples and oranges. Show me what Cutler's stats would look like if he had the NFL's #2 or #3 defense (or while not playing through undiagnosed & untreated diabetes), since you like comparing him to QB's who had that in their back pockets. Or compare his stats to those who had the NFL's 30th-ranked defense themselves.

You think a bad defense has no effect on a QB's numbers? I showed you what those same QB's numbers were their next seasons when the team's defenses weren't nearly as good. They weren't just a little worse; they were horrible.

And how do you figure his ATT/INT ratio is 6th worst in the league?

616 attempts, 18 INT's = 2.9 INT's per 100 passes attempted. That's about average for QB's who are in shootouts in most of their games. The only one markedly better was Kurt Warner who I'd say has a little more experience.

I don't know where you're getting some of these stats from, but they're wrong.

His 7.3 YPA was 10th, not 12th.

His 4.1 ATT/TD was 12th, not 14th.

QB rating and completion percentage are stats that favor those who attempt a disproportionate amount of safe dumpoff passes. I take for granted that it's easier to complete a 3-yard pass than a 20-yard pass. And even still, his 62.5% career mark is 13th and 87.1 QB rating is 14th -- in NFL history. As in there are about a dozen players to ever play the position with better marks. And that's with him attempting a lot of deep passes. Plus at 25 years old, he has hardly reached his prime as an NFL QB. He hasn't even entered his prime yet.

The INT/ATT was 7th-worst (in a 3-way tie), and among QB's with worse numbers were Tony Romo (whose defense gave up 5.2 ppg less than Denver) and Ben Roethlisberger (whose defense gave up 14 ppg less than Denver).

Further, you're weighing insignificant discrepancies as though they were far more significant.

For example, he may have been in a 3-way tie for 7th-worst, but there's a difference of 0.4% between him and a median player (for this stat) 7 "slots" ahead of him. A player 7 "slots" below him had a difference of 2.1%.

You tell me how statistically significant it is for a player to throw an interception in 2.7% of his attempts or 2.9%. It means he throws one more pick every 34.5 attempts. Someone who had an "elite" season like Brees (2.7%) threw one every 37.0 attempts. This isn't exactly an enormous difference. It's not like most QB's throw an interception once every 50 attempts and he throws one every 20 attempts. So "ranking" is a relative term. What if I said 2.9% is the 12th-best mark anyone had?

And is he a worse QB for an interception thrown that bounces off his receiver's hands, pops up in the air, and lands in the hands of a defender? Because if you only count 1x that happened, it brings his INT percentage down to about 2.7% (19th instead of 24th) and his TD percentage up to 4.2% (11th instead of tied for 12th). I don't know of any interceptions that bounced off a defenders hands into those of one of his receivers to balance that out. Oh, and Denver would have had one more win & would have gone to the playoffs.

You are attempting to draw equivalents in situations to QB's with legitimate RB's instead of a revolving door of injuries (and who ran the ball 500+ times compared to the paltry 387 times the Broncos did) and infinitely better defenses.

I'm not saying that he's been as good as any QB's ever been. That's ridiculous. What I am saying is that he's pretty impressive for a guy who's 25 years old with only two full seasons under his belt & who had bad situations in both of those seasons: a year of undiagnosed & untreated diabetes and a year where his defense gave up 28 ppg.

sperm get woody on the phone and we can have a 3 way...oh my:D

Jets Make Offer to Rolle

Bassett Sez;

That it

i know people love revis......and he is a great corner. but i'd make that trade straight up in a heartbeat.

Neck Demon, I agree with you and I'm scared of that(not agreeing with you, but giving Revis for anyone!)

Let's be rationale, IF we have Rolle and Sheppard, that helps.

Plus, a franchise QB is WAYYYY more important than a shutdown corner.

BUT< WITH THAT BEING SAID:

We can get the deal done with draft picks and any other guys other than Leon or Revis or Cotchery.

Draft picks are lottery tickets.

Draft picks and ANY players besides Revis Cotch and Leon will get Cutler here, so, while I would if the gun was at my head.

WE NEVER HAVE TO MENTION THAT AGAIN!!!!! PLEASE!

Revis doesn't have to go anywhere.

Now that's the end of that discussion.

Revis isn't going to go anywhere. The Jets just gave him a $6M roster bonus this year. Nobody gives a player $6M in the off-season and then trades him away 3 weeks later. Combined with his talent & youth & performance after only 2 NFL seasons the Jets aren't moving him for anyone, and even if they did it wouldn't be this year.

Neck Demon, I agree with you and I'm scared of that(not agreeing with you, but giving Revis for anyone!)

Let's be rationale, IF we have Rolle and Sheppard, that helps.

Plus, a franchise QB is WAYYYY more important than a shutdown corner.

BUT< WITH THAT BEING SAID:

We can get the deal done with draft picks and any other guys other than Leon or Revis or Cotchery.

Draft picks are lottery tickets.

Draft picks and ANY players besides Revis Cotch and Leon will get Cutler here, so, while I would if the gun was at my head.

WE NEVER HAVE TO MENTION THAT AGAIN!!!!! PLEASE!

Revis doesn't have to go anywhere.

Now that's the end of that discussion.

I'd remove Cotchery & Leon from your "untouchable" list. Revis is at least understandable whether someone finds him untouchable or not (a franchise QB is generally more valuable than any CB but Revis is just that great & still is only entering his 3rd NFL season; so either point of view is legitimately arguable).

The other two are ridiculous

Leon:

Until a long-term deal is hammered out, he is not under contract long-term. He has this season left on his rookie deal & then he's a FA. Even still, Leon simply doesn't touch the ball enough (in addition to playing at a position that generally doesn't last overly long & he's heading into his 4th season now). He turns 27 already at the start of the season. How long do you think honestly think Leon will be a RB with the same skills that he possesses today?

A QB - particularly one who turns 26 this season - will have a far greater impact on putting points on the board & last far longer. If you disagree as to Cutler's worth, that's one thing. But Leon isn't worth a young star franchise QB no matter how much we all love him.

Cotchery:

To value Cotchery, a solid #2 WR, over a star franchise QB still in his mid-20's is just beyond comprehension...unless you have a soulmate-type relationship with the man that extends beyond normal player/fan boundaries.

What if that BPA is a position they just sunk a ton of money into (like LB) ????

do it anyway

we have no depth at ILB, and we have BT and ghoston at OLB

in football, you can never have too many players at any position, because injuries happen

15. Tyson Jackson DE LSU 92

16. Chris Wells RB Ohio State 92

17. Michael Oher OT Mississippi 92

18. Rey Maualuga ILB USC 92

19. Percy Harvin WR Florida 92

20. Clay Matthews OLB USC 92

it would suck if harvin and jackson are gone, from one stanpoint, but maualuga or Oher can only help, and wells could be the heir to jones.

looking at this, I'm officially on the SIGN ROLLE bandwagon, because if this mock is close to the JETS board, there isn't a DB worth the #17 pick (unless someone falls, which DB's just don't do)

the more I look at mocks, the more I see the Jets taking percy

The JETS cannot draft a LB... just cant in the 1st round...

They already have too much invested... Gholston and Thomas are both 1st rounders making 1st rounder $$$ fighting over 1 job... Pace is paid a ton and has his job locked up... if they drafted OLB there would be 4 highly paid players fighting for 2 spots... not good...

ILB is a problem too... Harris and Scott if all goes well should hold down the middle for years... at least 3-5 together... if you draft at #17 thats a starter... not an overpaid backup (you hope)...

Obviously depth before the draft helps... but in certain situations even the BPA is not a good choice...

The JETS can safely draft at #17...

Dline

DB

Oline

RB

QB

WR

TE

They cannot draft....

LB

and the obvious... FB,K... etc

The JETS cannot draft a LB... just cant in the 1st round...

They already have too much invested... Gholston and Thomas are both 1st rounders making 1st rounder $$$ fighting over 1 job... Pace is paid a ton and has his job locked up... if they drafted OLB there would be 4 highly paid players fighting for 2 spots... not good...

ILB is a problem too... Harris and Scott if all goes well should hold down the middle for years... at least 3-5 together... if you draft at #17 thats a starter... not an overpaid backup (you hope)...

Obviously depth before the draft helps... but in certain situations even the BPA is not a good choice...

The JETS can safely draft at #17...

Dline

DB

Oline

RB

QB

WR

TE

They cannot draft....

LB

and the obvious... FB,K... etc

my original point is we are "1 step closer" if we sign Rolle

in order to be on pure BPA, the JETS need to sign Rolle, a WR and DE, imho

that would change your thinking, would it not ?

the whole idea of BPA is that "**** happens"

players get hurt

players demand to be traded

players go to jail

players die

players get hooked on drugs

that is why you go with BPA, especially with the first 2 picks. i think you can start drafting for need at rd 3

drafting an OLB would give tanny leverage to re-do BT's deal or trade VG or whatever

there comes a point where BPA isn't prudent, with FB's, K's, LS's, but I really can't think of a guy who was drafted and then wasted on the bench. even the rivers/brees thing got worked out. we benefitted form the bears drafting that HB whassizname, because then they traded jones to us.

maybe if the jets draft an OLB they trade BT

you never know with trader mike

the whole idea of BPA is that "**** happens"

players get hurt

players demand to be traded

players go to jail

players die

players get hooked on drugs

You left out a few

players shoot themselves in the foot with illegal handguns (combining hurt and jail)

players get their houses burned down by crazy ex-girlfriends

players get distracted by their music careers

The list goes on...and it's a good point.

Guys...this isn't a case of trading a franchise CB for a franchise QB.

Revis IS a franchise CB right now. He's top 5 in the league and arguably top 3 in many people's minds.

Cutler is a POTENTIAL franchise QB right now. He's shown flashes but has not delivered consistently the way the top QBs in the league do.

Franchise QBs include Brady, Peyton, Brees, Roethlisberger, Palmer for starters. You could include Ryan, Eli and Rivers as guys I'd want over Cutler just based on similar potential and less baggage. Even Romo might make that list.

That puts Cutler as 10th most attractive QB option AT BEST for me right now. Better than what we have on the roster? Most probably, but I don't do this trade.

I would bet the world the JETS will not draft a LB in the 1st round... not a chance in hell

maualuga might tempt them, esp if he reminds ryan of lewis

but we'll never know what the JETS board is, man I would LOVE to see a teams real board

that would be the most fun thing to do, put together a draft board.

mine would be heavily influenced by injuries and character concerns, then game film eval's, speed and football IQ (NOT the wonderlic), and playing more than 1 spot

Guys...this isn't a case of trading a franchise CB for a franchise QB.

Revis IS a franchise CB right now. He's top 5 in the league and arguably top 3 in many people's minds.

Cutler is a POTENTIAL franchise QB right now. He's shown flashes but has not delivered consistently the way the top QBs in the league do.

Franchise QBs include Brady, Peyton, Brees, Roethlisberger, Palmer for starters. You could include Ryan, Eli and Rivers as guys I'd want over Cutler just based on similar potential and less baggage. Even Romo might make that list.

That puts Cutler as 10th most attractive QB option AT BEST for me right now. Better than what we have on the roster? Most probably, but I don't do this trade.

Cutler IS a franchise QB. Period. End of discussion. Cutler is better than Roethlisberger. Cutler does not have the running game or defense Roethlisberger does though. At this point in his career/health, he's better than Palmer too.

There is absolutely no way in friggen hell you'd take Eli Manning over Cutler. No way. Ryan? I wouldn't, and I definitely would NOT take Rivers.

Archived