Yankees dispatch Hughes, three others to minors

JetNation

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the Mets, though I think there rotation could be the weak link. I've never been a fan of Oliver Perez, and John Maine has been a 5 inning pitcher.

I think u might be right...though Perez always pitches well against the yanks, I dont have alot of faith in him- he's a scatterbrain, & now has a big contract. Maine has had major control probs...

I like the Mets, though I think there rotation could be the weak link. I've never been a fan of Oliver Perez, and John Maine has been a 5 inning pitcher.

The mets did a terrible job in free agency. They could've easily fixed their rotation. Guys like Smoltz or Lowe would've been perfect fits for the Mets. They also did a bad job with position players. They should've signed Hudson + another outfielder and played Mruphy at 2B. Too many easy outs in that lineup.

The mets did a terrible job in free agency. They could've easily fixed their rotation. Guys like Smoltz or Lowe would've been perfect fits for the Mets. They also did a bad job with position players. They should've signed Hudson + another outfielder and played Mruphy at 2B. Too many easy outs in that lineup.

Welcome to the site. Make sure you bring SOMETHING to the site.

I agree on Lowe, he would of easily made the Mets the favorite in the East with Santana and Lowe at the top of the rotation, and with K-Rod and Putz in the pen, but if they signed Hudson, they would have had to eat the last 3 years on Castillo's contract. Minaya is really regretting that signing, and I Murphy probably can't play 2B, I think they tried it in winter ball. Also, most NL lineups have easy outs, the top of the Mets lineup is better than most teams, but they are relying on Delgado, which could haunt them.

It's not like the 2004 Red Sox were some poor small market team. They had the second highest payroll in baseball and basically followed the Yankee roadmap to success. Manny, Schilling, Foulke, Millar, Mueller, Damon, and Oritz were all free agent signings. I'm not taking anything away from the Red Sox by bringing this up, but if you don't respect the way the Yankees do business why would you respect the Red Sox?

True.

Let's give the Sox a little credit as well. Your later point (i.e. Sox building through youth) is correct. Those signings were a necessity due to the Sox farm system at the time being decimated by Duquette trading prospects for veterans.

The Sox deserve credit for plucking some of those FAs. Manny and Damon were the prior regime though. Millar, Mueller and Ortiz were not sexy signings. Millar was on his way to Japan. Mueller? An aging vet. Ortiz was little known in Minnesota. Schilling and Foulke were signed to feel clear holes like the Yankees did this season.

Guido

They might be d-bags, but it was beautiful watching them play in their prime. Even the ever self grandizing attention whore Schilling is a breath of fresh air so to speak. No political correctness. Succeed or fail he put himself out there and did not back down.

I agree on Lowe, he would of easily made the Mets the favorite in the East with Santana and Lowe at the top of the rotation, and with K-Rod and Putz in the pen, but if they signed Hudson, they would have had to eat the last 3 years on Castillo's contract. Minaya is really regretting that signing, and I Murphy probably can't play 2B, I think they tried it in winter ball. Also, most NL lineups have easy outs, the top of the Mets lineup is better than most teams, but they are relying on Delgado, which could haunt them.

That was my whole issue with the no-signing of Manny. Wasn't Delgado morbid at points last year? Once he came alive it all changed but that's the one guy you're relying on. Get another bad and your chances increase.

Relying on Delgado is no worse and probably much better than relying on Posada and Matsui. Unless the Mets were going to spend Yankee money on Tex, picking up Delgado's option was a no brainer. Fixing the pen was much more important than replacing a border line HOF player in Delgado. The Mets offense should be as good as anyone's in the NL. If not, with the economy the way it is there will be plenty of bats available from teams that get off to a slow start but you have to remember this is not the AL.

I would have loved Lowe as our #3 but if Maine and Ollie revert back to 2007 form our staff will be fine.

Relying on Delgado is no worse and probably much better than relying on Posada and Matsui. Unless the Mets were going to spend Yankee money on Tex, picking up Delgado's option was a no brainer. Fixing the pen was much more important than replacing a border line HOF player in Delgado. The Mets offense should be as good as anyone's in the NL. If not, with the economy the way it is there will be plenty of bats available from teams that get off to a slow start but you have to remember this is not the AL.

I would have loved Lowe as our #3 but if Maine and Ollie revert back to 2007 form our staff will be fine.

We aren't relying on them as much as you guys are with Delgado because we have Cano, Nady, Swisher, thought losing Posada would be a big loss, considering we would have to replace him with Molina, that would weaken the bottom of our lineup.

Jeter

Damon

Teixeira

A-Rod

Matsui

Posada

Cano

Nady/Swisher

Gardner

-------------------------

Reyes

Murphy

Wright

Beltran

Delgado

Church/Tatis

Schneider/Castro

Castillo

They do actually. I hope the Perez and Maine shape up cause you guys have a deadly 8-9 inning combo. Hopefully you guys can produce enough runs as that seemed to be a major sticking point. I still don't get why you didn't get manny.

The Mets actually were 2nd in the NL in runs scored. The pen blew 29 games or there would not have been a pennant race. The line-up is much better than it is being given credit for here.

We aren't relying on them as much as you guys are with Delgado because we have Cano, Nady, Swisher, thought losing Posada would be a big loss, considering we would have to replace him with Molina, that would weaken the bottom of our lineup.

Jeter

Damon

Teixeira

A-Rod

Matsui

Posada

Cano

Nady/Swisher

Gardner

-------------------------

Reyes

Murphy

Wright

Beltran

Delgado

Church/Tatis

Schneider/Castro

Castillo

Yeah but you have to remember a NL team does not need the bottom of their order to be strong. Nady and Swisher are far, far from givens anyway. The Mets top 5 or 6 in the order is just fine for the NL. Remember they actually scored more runs than the Yanks last year with nothing from Delgado in the 1st half. I am aware the Yanks had injuries but those same injuries are again question marks.

Yeah but you have to remember a NL team does not need the bottom of their order to be strong. Nady and Swisher are far, far from givens anyway. The Mets top 5 or 6 in the order is just fine for the NL. Remember they actually scored more runs than the Yanks last year with nothing from Delgado in the 1st half. I am aware the Yanks had injuries but those same injuries are again question marks.

And Church, Tatis, and Murphy are also far from givens...

Yankees also had to up against better competition day in and day out. The Sox, Rays, and Jays all had really good staffs in 2008.

Lets make a deal; I'll root for a subway series if you root for a subway series. :D

That is Yankees' job with the CC, Wang and 3xMeh and that underwhelming Offense.

Sure sure, tell yourself what you need to so you can sleep better at night. Yankees are winning the Al East this year and the Rays will be in second.

The Mets actually were 2nd in the NL in runs scored. The pen blew 29 games or there would not have been a pennant race. The line-up is much better than it is being given credit for here.

I know that. I'm curious as to what that statistic was after the 6th inning.

The Yankees offense will easily score 1,000 runs this year.

:-P

:rl:

Maximus is funny.

Sure sure, tell yourself what you need to so you can sleep better at night. Yankees are winning the Al East this year and the Rays will be in second.

Sure. :rolleyes:

The Rays played extremely well last year. With that pitching they will no doubt be contenders, but I see them fading late in the year unless Price is factored into the rotation. Outside of Kazmir, the remaining starters exceeded their career highs in innings pitched. Shields and Jackson only by 25 or 26 IPs (playoffs included), but the other two Sonnastine (+80) and Garza (+126) saw huge increases. Even with Burrell and player maturation, the Rays got lucky a lot and were exceptional in close games. Now lets see them do it again.

The Yankees...oh the Yankees. They made significant additions. CC, AJ and Tex was sorely needed. The pitching will be better, but the core of the team even with the additions are on the wrong side of 30. You possibly have the worst middle IF defense in the league. The Yanks have talent and will win games, but not enough to win the AL East.

The Sox won 95 games despite injuries. Only 3 regulars (Youk, Dusty and Tek) played in at least 120 games. Only 2 pitchers exceeded 30 starts. By all accounts the team is healthy. A return to health of Ortiz, Lowell and Beckett will do wonders for this team. The Sox are the team to beat, but let the Yankees carry that mantle.

Maximus is funny.

The Rays played extremely well last year. With that pitching they will no doubt be contenders, but I see them fading late in the year unless Price is factored into the rotation. Outside of Kazmir, the remaining starters exceeded their career highs in innings pitched. Shields and Jackson only by 25 or 26 IPs (playoffs included), but the other two Sonnastine (+80) and Garza (+126) saw huge increases. Even with Burrell and player maturation, the Rays got lucky a lot and were exceptional in close games. Now lets see them do it again.

The Yankees...oh the Yankees. They made significant additions. CC, AJ and Tex was sorely needed. The pitching will be better, but the core of the team even with the additions are on the wrong side of 30. You possibly have the worst middle IF defense in the league. The Yanks have talent and will win games, but not enough to win the AL East.

The Sox won 95 games despite injuries. Only 3 regulars (Youk, Dusty and Tek) played in at least 120 games. Only 2 pitchers exceeded 30 starts. By all accounts the team is healthy. A return to health of Ortiz, Lowell and Beckett will do wonders for this team. The Sox are the team to beat, but let the Yankees carry that mantle.

The Yankees, Red Sox, and Ray are going to cannibalize each other. Let's be serious here now. The Sox have better batting then us, but our rotation may allow us to not need to score a ton of runs. Jorge health is going to be so incredibly key for us this year. If Nady/Swisher can produce last year and Gardner is servicable then we shouldn't be terribly suffering for offense.

Yes, your guys are younger but at the same time it doesn't mean we won't produce. I mean hell, if Burnett can pitch like he always does against the AL East that's good for us, CC and Wang are inning eaters and Joba and Andy are pretty good for a 4 and a 5.

As for the Rays, they're gonna be challenging but I think everyone is gonna be ready for them this year, and it's gonna be the two of us slapping each other around in September. And I'm ok with that because ain't nothing better then Red Sox and Yankees baseball :yes:

That is Yankees' job with the CC, Wang and 3xMeh and that underwhelming *******.

Joba and Burnett are Underwhelming? Methinks you're a homer... Doesn't Burnett own Boston over his career? and I think Joba is in boston's head's bigtime too. He was awesome against them last year. You know what's underwhelming? Brad Penny, Tim Wakefield and a crippled John Smoltz... NTM Matsuzaka who's walks will catch up to him.

I was right. Burnett 5-0 2.56 against boston.

Joba and Burnett are Underwhelming? Methinks you're a homer... Doesn't Burnett own Boston over his career? and I think Joba is in boston's head's bigtime too. He was awesome against them last year. You know what's underwhelming? Brad Penny, Tim Wakefield and a crippled John Smoltz... NTM Matsuzaka who's walks will catch up to him.

You calling someone a homer is pretty damn funny, mike.

Burnett is good against the AL East and crap against everyone else. He's definitely worth the money :rolleyes:.

You know what isn't underwhelming the fact hat Penny, Wakefield and a soon to be healthy John Smoltz comprise the #4 and #5 slots in the rotation. Not to mention the plethora of young guns absolutely slinging it this spring training. As far as Smoltz is concerned he was pitching pretty well before being injured last season and he is going to be close to 100 percent come June. Everyone is wowed by his stuff and his progress. If they can get 35 starts between him and Penny and win more than half of them, it will be worth the 10 million plus between the both of them.

The Sox have one of the deepest and best pitching staffs in baseball and it will make them a force to be reckoned with.

Maximus is funny.

The Yankees...oh the Yankees. They made significant additions. CC, AJ and Tex was sorely needed. The pitching will be better, but the core of the team even with the additions are on the wrong side of 30. You possibly have the worst middle IF ******* in the league. The Yanks have talent and will win games, but not enough to win the AL East.

This is hysterical.

The Yankees have guys on the wrong side of 30, yet you think Oriz, Varitek and Lowell are going to have big years? Explain how these situations are different (other than your homerism and the fact that you just want this to be true).

This is hysterical.

The Yankees have guys on the wrong side of 30, yet you think Oriz, Varitek and Lowell are going to have big years? Explain how these situations are different (other than your homerism and the fact that you just want this to be true).

If you been on this board for someone time I think you would know I have referred to Tek's bat as a void.

Plus, I did not say big years. I said healthy. I am not expecting .330 40 HRs and 130 RBIs from Big Papi. If his wrist is healthy he is more then capable of being productive. Moreso then his .264 last year. The same with Lowell. The loss of Manny's bat was huge, but the Sox had other health issues on ******* that had equal impact.

You must be clairvoyant. :rolleyes:

Joba's 3.46 ERA against Boston is definitely in their heads. :rolleyes:

Joba has potential, but has yet to proove anything other then a clear disdain for nats.

While Burnett does own Boston, he is barely above .500 over his career against everyone else. Career year in a contract year? A tad suspicious. I will take the Sox rotation over the Yankees every day of the week.

If you been on this board for someone time I think you would know I have referred to Tek's bat as a void.

Plus, I did not say big years. I said healthy. I am not expecting .330 40 HRs and 130 RBIs from Big Papi. If his wrist is healthy he is more then capable of being productive. Moreso then his .264 last year. The same with Lowell. The loss of Manny's bat was huge, but the Sox had other health issues on ******* that had equal impact.

You must be clairvoyant. :rolleyes:

Joba's 3.46 ERA against Boston is definitely in their heads. :rolleyes:

Joba has potential, but has yet to proove anything other then a clear disdain for nats.

While Burnett does own Boston, he is barely above .500 over his career against everyone else. Career year in a contract year? A tad suspicious. I will take the Sox rotation over the Yankees every day of the week.

Of course you will.

But you will have to admit that this year more then the past 3 our rotation makes you a TAD bit uncomfortable. If AJ continues pitching like he did last year, if Joba keeps developing, etc... we're better in that area. And if you're better in that area... you're usually a better team.

The Sox rotation can have plenty of holes punched in it. Last year I really thought we'd be in on the wild card but the Rays surprised everyone. This year I think the two of us are gonna be slugging it out if both our line-ups remain healthy.

Burnett is good against the AL East and crap against everyone else. He's definitely worth the money :rolleyes:.

You know what isn't underwhelming the fact hat Penny, Wakefield and a soon to be healthy John Smoltz comprise the #4 and #5 slots in the rotation. Not to mention the plethora of young guns absolutely slinging it this spring training. As far as Smoltz is concerned he was pitching pretty well before being injured last season and he is going to be close to 100 percent come June. Everyone is wowed by his stuff and his progress. If they can get 35 starts between him and Penny and win more than half of them, it will be worth the 10 million plus between the both of them.

The Sox have one of the deepest and best pitching staffs in baseball and it will make them a force to be reckoned with.

Penny and Wakefield are awful and Somltz pitched 28 innings last year and he's over 40. He's no guarantee to soon be anything.

Archived