Jets Sign Justin Miller

jokerjet

According to Pro Football Talk

Posted by Mike Florio on October 27, 2009 2:07 PM ET

We pointed out earlier today that former Jets cornerback and kick returner Justin Miller could be returning to the team to fill Leon Washington's special-teams role.

According to Dave Hutchinson of the Newark Star-Ledger, it's expected to happen, as soon as today.

Miller made the Pro Bowl as a member of the Jets in 2006. He returned two kickoffs for touchdowns that season, and he returned two more for touchdowns in seven games last year with the Raiders.

The Jets have reached out to the agent for former kick returner Justin Miller and are expected to sign him as early as Tuesday to replace Leon Washington, according to a person with knowledge of the situation who asked for anonymity because he's not authorized to speak for the organization.

Last month, the Jets brought Miller in for a workout before he was re-signed by the Oakland Raiders and then released.

Miller, a former third-round pick by the Jets, was a Pro Bowl kick returner in 2006, returning two kickoffs for touchdowns and averaging 28.3 yards per return.

He was released last November after being slowed by a dislocated toe and claimed off waivers by the Raiders. He had two kickoff returns for touchdowns last season and was re-signed for this season.

Miller, however, has been on and off the Raiders roster this season. He was re-signed early this month but released after one game.

Nice call Smashmouth. I really didnt see this happening. Just goes to show you how much respect Rex has for Westhoff because I'm sure this was his idea.

Still dont see a point in holding a roster spot for someone that is only returning kicks, but I if the kid looks like he can still do it, then I guess we have nothing to lose.

Nice call Smashmouth. I really didnt see this happening. Just goes to show you how much respect Rex has for Westhoff because I'm sure this was his idea.

Still dont see a point in holding a roster spot for someone that is only returning kicks, but I if the kid looks like he can still do it, then I guess we have nothing to lose.

Im sure it's not just for the KR position. He will be used for depth in the CB position, especially with lito still hurt. he will see some action as a corner.

Under normal situations it wouldn't make sense, but the Jets had 2 roster openings with Jenkins' injury and Leon's injury.

Remember, they cut Howard Greene to sign Woodhead, and then re-signed Greene to fill Jenkins spot. The Jets had an extra roster spot with Leon's injury because Woodhead is already on the roster and, thus, the 3rd down back spot is filled (theoretically).

I said it first during the game thread

Im sure it's not just for the KR position. He will be used for depth in the CB position, especially with lito still hurt. he will see some action as a corner.

God I hope not...:puke2:

lol

Under normal situations it wouldn't make sense, but the Jets had 2 roster openings with Jenkins' injury and Leon's injury.

Remember, they cut Howard Greene to sign Woodhead, and then re-signed Greene to fill Jenkins spot. The Jets had an extra roster spot with Leon's injury because Woodhead is already on the roster and, thus, the 3rd down back spot is filled (theoretically).

True.

I said it first during the game thread

I wasnt in the game thread. But props to you.

Which sucks because I'm sick of watching Leonhard fair catch.

Me too, sometimes when he's running I'll see a little a crease and say "damn, if only that were Leon." He is an average PR, it'd be nice to have someone with speed to at least make it exciting to watch.

Miller is equal if not better than leon at kickoff returns so there wont be a drop off on special team. Shotty never used leon like he should have with screens out of the backfield or in the flat as much as he should have so you wont see any drop off in the running game either.

Me too, sometimes when he's running I'll see a little a crease and say "damn, if only that were Leon." He is an average PR, it'd be nice to have someone with speed to at least make it exciting to watch.

Leon very rarely made any plays at all on punt returns. I think I remember one 40 yard punt return in an overtime game last year. Other than that.... nada.

Jim already has a great punt return himself, I think it was in the Titans game.

this just makes a lot of sense I always thought he could return kicks just as good if not better then Leon and our D-backs have been banged up (plus their really not that good other then u know who) I say give him a shot. Leonhard will still return punts although i wish they would try Woodhead or Wright out as PR

Archived