Cimini--Jets to make Pre Draft Splash Likely.

flgreen

New York Jets likely to make a pre-draft splash with free agency or trade; plan to sign Neil Rackers

The Jets have gone three weeks since their last significant player move - the signing of LaDainian Tomlinson. In their world, that's an eternity, but it doesn't mean they're out of tricks.

They're not planning to go peacefully into the April 22 draft. League insiders believe ever-aggressive GM Mike Tannenbaum may have a surprise or two before the Jets shift into draft mode. Considering the timing - 10 days before the deadline for signing restricted free agents - it's possible the Jets are preparing to plunge into the RFA market.

That is sure to ratchet up the speculation regarding Brandon Marshall, but league sources continued to maintain yesterday that the Jets aren't interested in signing or trading for the Broncos wide receiver.

One move that could happen this week involves the kicking situation. Now that Jay Feely has signed with the Cardinals, the Jets are planning to visit with unrestricted free agent Neil Rackers, who spent the last seven seasons with the Cards.

Rackers, 33, is scheduled to arrive tonight and will meet tomorrow with Jets officials, sources confirmed. The Jets already have recently signed veteran Nick Folk on the roster - he signed Feb. 23, when talks with Feely hit an impasse - but Folk is coming off a bad year and they may want to add a more reliable kicker to compete with him.

Rackers is a 78% career field-goal kicker (not counting two big misses in last season's playoffs) and is widely regarded as the top kicker remaining on the market. The Ravens and Bengals also are believed to be interested.

By rule, the Jets now are eligible to sign an unrestricted free agent to replace Feely, but as a "Final Eight" team, they can't sign a player to a greater first-year salary than the one they lost. Based on Feely's contract, that means they have about $1.25 million to play with. It's not enough to make a huge splash, but it should be enough to secure Rackers or another kicker.

The Jets have needs at wide receiver, defensive line and quarterback (a veteran backup), so it's possible Tannenbaum is plotting a pre-draft move to plug one or more holes with a trade and/or free-agent signing. The team has acknowledged an interest in former Bengals and Jets wide receiver Laveranues Coles, a free agent.

The Jets are also interested in locking up two of their young stars, cornerback Darrelle Revis and center Nick Mangold, to long-term deals.

The Jets own the 29th pick in the upcoming draft, but that doesn't mean they will pick in that spot.

Tannenbaum has traded up in two of the last three drafts to select Revis and quarterback Mark Sanchez, and he won't hesitate to move up for an elite player.

It's all speculation but I think they probably will. I see us making a trade or two on draft day, one of which involving Brandon Marshall.

If we sign Rackers, how can we sign another free agent without losing one?

Any chance we go after RFA Miles Austin? He was on our radar in the past before he exploded. I could also see us going after a cheaper option such as Lance Moore at the WR position. This year's class of WR's is not that impressive.

Also, could D-Linemen like Anthony Montgomery or Marcus Spears be possibilities? Certainly not "splashes", but Rex could make players out of them.

People got on Feeley for missing two medium-length FGs @ Indy and for being involved in 3 botched kicks (some of which were bad snaps, bad holds, etc.) vs. Atlanta.

So to replace him we can bring in Rackers, a career 78% kicker. God almighty I can't imagine the hell fire that will be unleashed on Rackers by ridiculously negative fans if he hits ONLY 78%. People, especially JN posters, will be literally burning his jersey in the parking lot.

For some reason, it was totally unacceptable for Feeley to nail like 95% of his field goals.

It's all speculation but I think they probably will. I see us making a trade or two on draft day, one of which involving Brandon Marshall.

I don't see a trade with the Jets invloving Brandon Marshall. Too much baggage to take on.

I do see the Jets trading up in the first to get Dez Bryant. If they do this, however, they would have to move ahead of Miami; so that would involve a move of at least 18 spots, and in Round 1 that would be very expensive. The upside of doing that is that solidifying that one position would do wonders for the team possibly making the Super Bowl.

Can we just save this post and quote it whenever Cimini writes an article?

The actual quote will be "First reported in the Daily News..."

It cracks me up everytime I read that from him...lol.

Wow.. what breaking news! All Cimini is doing is putting something out there so if something does happen he can say "I told you so!" No evidence at all.

Cimini must use toilet paper to wipe his mouth because he's talking out his ass again.

Serious and basesless speculation. I honestly hope we keep our picks this year we could use the picks for depth.

The actual quote will be "First reported in the Daily News..."

It cracks me up everytime I read that from him...lol.

Because he's wrong more times than not...ie Rackers...lol

The guy is a jerkoff

Damn, the Cimini lovefest continues, lol. I always liked him but this article is kind of out there. The Jets are going to do something before the draft. If not, they will definitely draft players on many of the actual draft days, if not all of them.

This just in: After the draft, the Jets will sign ex college players that are free agents because nobody drafted them.

:-P

The Jets have needs at wide receiver, defensive line and quarterback (a veteran backup),

I still don't understand the "need" for a veteran backup QB. If they didn't need one last year, why the **** do they need one this year with four guys that have already spent a year in the system? Sanchez didn't need a tutor as a rookie, but now he suddenly needs a shoulder to cry on.

I still don't understand the "need" for a veteran backup QB. If they didn't need one last year, why the **** do they need one this year with four guys that have already spent a year in the system? Sanchez didn't need a tutor as a rookie, but now he suddenly needs a shoulder to cry on.

You make an excellent point. I think we have position coaches for a reason. Our QB coach was a former NFL QB. Why do we need a backup that failed elsewhere? I have high hopes for Ainge. he did outplay Sanchez last preseason. I expect Clemens to be traded on draft day. That leaves us with 3 young QBs. Id rather go into the season that way then bringing in an old has-been to "teach" Sanchez. Mark nearly got us to the SB last year. He has a qualified position coach and a great OL in front of him with a great run game. Lets get him a slot receiver and stop the fascination with washed up NFL QBs.

I disagree. I am with you on the tutor part. What I fear is what happens if Sanchez gets hurt.

Kellen Clemens? You ready to hand him this team?

I'm not.

I disagree. I am with you on the tutor part. What I fear is what happens if Sanchez gets hurt.

I'm not.

Agree I would like more comfort in a backup than Clemens waiting in the wings.

I'm not.

Why not? Excluding teams that don't have a clear starter, I don't think anybody has a smaller dropoff from QB1 to QB2 than we do.

Archived