Big-name acquisitions might carry Jets or sink coach Ryan

Thor99

April 13, 2010

By Clark Judge

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Tell Clark your opinion!

The heat isn't on the New York Jets. It's on their head coach.

Rex Ryan would want it no other way, but when you look at what the Jets have done lately -- which is to collect players others couldn't wait to discard -- you have to feel for the guy. No longer is he expected to get the Jets to the Super Bowl; now it's Super Bowl or bust.

Santonio Holmes is a great weapon, but has a ton of off-field issues. (US Presswire) Of course, that's what happens when you reach the conference championship game your first season, then run out and acquire the league's single-season touchdown leader (running back LaDainian Tomlinson), a former Pro Bowl cornerback (Antonio Cromartie) and a Super Bowl MVP (wide receiver Santonio Holmes).

With those moves, the Jets believe they're locked and loaded for a run at the New England Patriots in the AFC East, and, more important, the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC. And maybe they are. But look closer, people. The talent they just acquired was someone else's detritus, which makes you wonder just how much they ... and Ryan ... benefit by their additions.

"The Jets obviously think they're a couple of inches away from the Super Bowl," one NFL general manager said, "and that's their prerogative. I don't happen to agree with them. But now they think they have the talent to put themselves over the top."

They must after making the Holmes deal. At face value, it looks like a steal -- with the Jets getting him for a fifth-round draft choice. Holmes is young (he's 26), was a first-round draft pick and was the MVP of Super Bowl XLII. He's the perfect complement for Braylon Edwards and a big-play receiver who gives the Jets a three-pronged attack at a position where they were short last season.

Holmes might do for the Jets what former Pittsburgh wide receiver Plaxico Burress did for the New York Giants, but he sure looks like trouble waiting to happen. The Steelers reportedly couldn't wait to get rid of the guy, with the organization embarrassed and infuriated by off-the-field behavior it finally considered intolerable.

"This is all about character," said an AFC general manager, "and the Steelers were fed up. But this isn't about the Pittsburgh Steelers. It's clear what they're doing. This is about the New York Jets and what they're doing.

"They had two games given to them at the end of the season (Indianapolis sat down its starters in Week 16 and Cincinnati did the same in Week 17), and if that didn't happen ... if they lose those games this year instead of win them ... you want to tell me what that locker room looks like? It'll be coming apart at the seams."

Ah, but that's where Rex Ryan comes in. It's the coach's job to prevent that from happening, and good luck. By his own admission, Burress was fined 20 to 30 times by the Giants for failing to show up on time for meetings. When he failed to show up for a team meeting in 2008, no-nonsense coach Tom Coughlin suspended him a game -- a move that cost Burress $117,500. Then after Burress was arrested for discharging a loaded gun at a nightclub, Coughlin and the Giants had enough. First they suspended him. Then they cut him.

In essence, Burress defied Coughlin -- just as the combustible Terrell Owens defied coach Andy Reid in 2005, and Pacman Jones defied the Dallas Cowboys in 2008. Assuming a character risk is tricky; assuming more than one at a time is downright dangerous -- and the Jets have more than their fair share in Holmes, Cromartie and wide receiver Braylon Edwards, who allegedly was involved in an incident outside a Cleveland nightclub last year.

Will the Jets get the good or bad version of Antonio Cromartie? (US Presswire) "What are the Jets doing?" asked our AFC GM. "I don't know. I really don't know."

I do. They're trying to get to the Super Bowl by upgrading their roster. They needed a second running back, so they convinced themselves Tomlinson had another season of productive football in him. They needed a second cover corner, so they convinced themselves Cromartie could be the player he was in 2007, not 2009. They needed a big-play wide receiver, so they convinced themselves Holmes could do for them what he did on the field the past two years.

At least, that's the plan. The reality is that Tomlinson is a 31-year-old running back who just produced the worst season of his career and that Cromartie was such a poor tackler last year one head coach I trust said, "If you watched him the entire season -- and not just that playoff loss to the Jets -- he ran away from plays. The guy's a coward." Now they have a wide receiver who can't seem to stay out of trouble, and the message is clear.

Just win, baby.

It won't be as easy as it sounds. Throw in Cromartie's off-the-field conduct where he fathered seven children by six women in five states and Holmes' four-game suspension for a violation of the league's substance abuse policy, as well as arrests from 2006-08 for possession of marijuana, domestic assault and disorderly conduct (with no convictions) and an investigation into an incident last month where he allegedly threw a drink in a woman's face, and you have the Jets soon starring in an HBO series that a New York Post columnist termed closer to Animal House than Hard Knocks.

"We're not going into this with our eyes closed," Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum said. "We understand what we're dealing with here."

Good thing. All I know is that Rex Ryan better win. The Jets made bold moves they and their fans believe put them over the top, but they couldn't have made them unless the players they assumed didn't come with baggage others got tired of carrying. If the roof collapses and the Jets crater, it won't be the players who are blamed; it will be the head coach who had to control them.

It's true that the pressure is on Rex.

But no duh! Rex predicted SB victories (yes plural) at his introductory press conference. He's said that he's not an "undersell" guy.

He's talked big all year which has put pressure on him. He wants it and Tanny's moves prove that.

It's true that the pressure is on Rex.

But no duh! Rex predicted SB victories (yes plural) at his introductory press conference. He's said that he's not an "undersell" guy.

He's talked big all year which has put pressure on him. He wants it and Tanny's moves prove that.

I'll tell ya, I've never been so excited for Jets football 2 years in a row in quite a while. He at least brings a lot of life into this team and city.

Blah, blah, blah, blah fockin blah. All the experts looking at the downside of the moves that have been made, rival GM's, columnists, blow hard radio jagoffs. Eff them all! The Jets are acquiring players that just may put them over the top with a relatively low downside. What is the problem with trying to improve your team?? The haven't won with choirboys for ther past 40 years so what the hell is the difference??? Hopefully the Jets go about their business and sodomize the rest of the league next season. EFF EVERYBODY!!!!

If Santonio Holmes isnt on the Steelers, they never win that Super Bowl. Every good NFL team has players with questionable character. Winning creates a positive clubhouse, not the opposite.

Id like to know who the unnamed GM was. Talk about sour grapes.

We get a pass rush, like Jason Taylor, as much as I hate to say it, and we're going to win a superbowl guaranteed. I think we have the best roster in the NFL right now, but that's neither here 'nor there. Regardless, let the analysts keep thinking what they want, The Jet Nation know what's good.

We get a pass rush, like Jason Taylor, as much as I hate to say it, and we're going to win a superbowl guaranteed. I think we have the best roster in the NFL right now, but that's neither here 'nor there. Regardless, let the analysts keep thinking what they want, The Jet Nation know what's good.

report via Twitter is that Taylor will wait until after the draft to make his decision-might be too late and force our hand to draft a pass rusher in the 1st round-I like that kid from USC if not Oldrick-who will probably be gone

report via Twitter is that Taylor will wait until after the draft to make his decision-might be too late and force our hand to draft a pass rusher in the 1st round-I like that kid from USC if not Oldrick-who will probably be gone

That's no good. I was hoping to draft a safety in the first round. I'm not too sure how I feel about Smith, Leonard and Diggs. We need a true safety that won't get beat deep.

any guesses as to who this "AFC General Manager" is?

I would guess either Jeff Ireland or the Houston GM (since they were the team that would have made the playoffs). I'd say somebody from New England could be a candidate as well but the key word is "general manager".

Whatever haters.

If that's the case, then screw Taylor. We have to make our decisions as if he's not going to come along if he wants to wait until after the draft.

Whether he is delaying the decision because of his family (which I can respect), his hatred of the Jets and their fans and whether he can mentally overcome (which I would not respect), or some other reason, we cannot be left out in the cold when it comes to a pass rusher during the draft and let a soon to be 36 year old player dictate our plans for the future.

That's no good. I was hoping to draft a safety in the first round. I'm not too sure how I feel about Smith, Leonard and Diggs. We need a true safety that won't get beat deep.

we got Brodney Poole from Cleveland to replace Kerry Rhodes and he can really lay the wood

we got Brodney Poole from Cleveland to replace Kerry Rhodes and he can really lay the wood

That's true, but who's going to cover over the top? We got 4 safeties who can lay the wood, but can any of them protect our corners? I mean i hate to bring it up but remember when Ted Ginn Jr. went deep on Revis last season. We can't have that again. But I forgot about Brodney Poole, and he really is nice.

That's true, but who's going to cover over the top? We got 4 safeties who can lay the wood, but can any of them protect our corners? I mean i hate to bring it up but remember when Ted Ginn Jr. went deep on Revis last season. We can't have that again. But I forgot about Brodney Poole, and he really is nice.

hey TD passes are gonna happen, no matter WHO is covering...I like our chances though with 2 shutdown corners and Poole and Leonhard back there

Barring a catastrophic collapse with the team totally abandoning Rex (ahaha yeah right) the Jets FO would have to be completely retarded to fire Ryan. You don't fire coaches that make the AFCC game their first year in their second year, no matter what happens.

Mangini was a bungling moron but if he had made the playoffs you'd still be hard pressed to have fired him after his third year. Even if Rex doesn't win an SB, as long as the teams are competitive, you keep him on as long as he wants to stay on. Only 1 team wins an SB. How long did it take "genius" coaches like BB, Cowher, Payton, Dungy etc. to win an SB? How long did it take QBs like Peyton Manning and Drew Brees to win one?

I hope we win the SB, but staying competitive is the best way to win one, it might take awhile, it might happen right away, but with the right people it does happen.

San Diego is retarded for firing Marty, that much should be obvious. That team is full of chokers, but if they had Marty they would at least have continued winning 14 games a year and maybe a playoff game eventually. As it is, they will never make it to an SB.

You're right, WE'RE JUST SO GOOD!!!!!

we do look good on paper right now-we just have to stay healthy-especially at the QB position and get a little luck and a couple of calls...you've GOT to have an element of luck-and get a few critical calls from the zebras

April 13, 2010

By Clark Judge

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Tell Clark your opinion!

The heat isn't on the New York Jets. It's on their head coach.

Rex Ryan would want it no other way, but when you look at what the Jets have done lately -- which is to collect players others couldn't wait to discard -- you have to feel for the guy. No longer is he expected to get the Jets to the Super Bowl; now it's Super Bowl or bust.

Santonio Holmes is a great weapon, but has a ton of off-field issues. (US Presswire) Of course, that's what happens when you reach the conference championship game your first season, then run out and acquire the league's single-season touchdown leader (running back LaDainian Tomlinson), a former Pro Bowl cornerback (Antonio Cromartie) and a Super Bowl MVP (wide receiver Santonio Holmes).

With those moves, the Jets believe they're locked and loaded for a run at the New England Patriots in the AFC East, and, more important, the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC. And maybe they are. But look closer, people. The talent they just acquired was someone else's detritus, which makes you wonder just how much they ... and Ryan ... benefit by their additions.

"The Jets obviously think they're a couple of inches away from the Super Bowl," one NFL general manager said, "and that's their prerogative. I don't happen to agree with them. But now they think they have the talent to put themselves over the top."

They must after making the Holmes deal. At face value, it looks like a steal -- with the Jets getting him for a fifth-round draft choice. Holmes is young (he's 26), was a first-round draft pick and was the MVP of Super Bowl XLII. He's the perfect complement for Braylon Edwards and a big-play receiver who gives the Jets a three-pronged attack at a position where they were short last season.

Holmes might do for the Jets what former Pittsburgh wide receiver Plaxico Burress did for the New York Giants, but he sure looks like trouble waiting to happen. The Steelers reportedly couldn't wait to get rid of the guy, with the organization embarrassed and infuriated by off-the-field behavior it finally considered intolerable.

"This is all about character," said an AFC general manager, "and the Steelers were fed up. But this isn't about the Pittsburgh Steelers. It's clear what they're doing. This is about the New York Jets and what they're doing.

"They had two games given to them at the end of the season (Indianapolis sat down its starters in Week 16 and Cincinnati did the same in Week 17), and if that didn't happen ... if they lose those games this year instead of win them ... you want to tell me what that locker room looks like? It'll be coming apart at the seams."

Ah, but that's where Rex Ryan comes in. It's the coach's job to prevent that from happening, and good luck. By his own admission, Burress was fined 20 to 30 times by the Giants for failing to show up on time for meetings. When he failed to show up for a team meeting in 2008, no-nonsense coach Tom Coughlin suspended him a game -- a move that cost Burress $117,500. Then after Burress was arrested for discharging a loaded gun at a nightclub, Coughlin and the Giants had enough. First they suspended him. Then they cut him.

In essence, Burress defied Coughlin -- just as the combustible Terrell Owens defied coach Andy Reid in 2005, and Pacman Jones defied the Dallas Cowboys in 2008. Assuming a character risk is tricky; assuming more than one at a time is downright dangerous -- and the Jets have more than their fair share in Holmes, Cromartie and wide receiver Braylon Edwards, who allegedly was involved in an incident outside a Cleveland nightclub last year.

Will the Jets get the good or bad version of Antonio Cromartie? (US Presswire) "What are the Jets doing?" asked our AFC GM. "I don't know. I really don't know."

I do. They're trying to get to the Super Bowl by upgrading their roster. They needed a second running back, so they convinced themselves Tomlinson had another season of productive football in him. They needed a second cover corner, so they convinced themselves Cromartie could be the player he was in 2007, not 2009. They needed a big-play wide receiver, so they convinced themselves Holmes could do for them what he did on the field the past two years.

At least, that's the plan. The reality is that Tomlinson is a 31-year-old running back who just produced the worst season of his career and that Cromartie was such a poor tackler last year one head coach I trust said, "If you watched him the entire season -- and not just that playoff loss to the Jets -- he ran away from plays. The guy's a coward." Now they have a wide receiver who can't seem to stay out of trouble, and the message is clear.

Just win, baby.

It won't be as easy as it sounds. Throw in Cromartie's off-the-field conduct where he fathered seven children by six women in five states and Holmes' four-game suspension for a violation of the league's substance abuse policy, as well as arrests from 2006-08 for possession of marijuana, domestic assault and disorderly conduct (with no convictions) and an investigation into an incident last month where he allegedly threw a drink in a woman's face, and you have the Jets soon starring in an HBO series that a New York Post columnist termed closer to Animal House than Hard Knocks.

"We're not going into this with our eyes closed," Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum said. "We understand what we're dealing with here."

Good thing. All I know is that Rex Ryan better win. The Jets made bold moves they and their fans believe put them over the top, but they couldn't have made them unless the players they assumed didn't come with baggage others got tired of carrying. If the roof collapses and the Jets crater, it won't be the players who are blamed; it will be the head coach who had to control them.

what a bunch of bull$hite

wasnt Jenkins considered a bad apple too in TN- following this stupid logic the Jets sh not have traded for Jenkins either nor NE should have traded for Moss etc..etc...etc..

what a bunch of bull$hite

wasnt Jenkins considered a bad apple too in TN- following this stupid logic the Jets sh not have traded for Jenkins either nor NE should have traded for Moss etc..etc...etc..

exactly. I think it also matters that they came to winning teams. So their was a lot in place so they would more easily buy into the mentality of that team.

If Jenkins went someplace else like Buffalo, god only knows how that would be going down now.

Rex Ryan was able to contain a man once on trial for murder in Ray Lewis for years. I doubt that Santonio's weed and Cromartie's loving family will be an issue.

These articles are a bunch of shyte. They're making it seem like the Jets are bringing in "problems". If that was the fact then T.O. would have been a Jet since last year. Tanny and Woody know who to take chances on.

Braylon got tired of losing and the Browns organization wasnt the best in the first place. Santonio was in a position where it was hard for him to be told anything when the Franchise QB was accused of rape twice in a span of a year. Cro is simply another young kid that hasnt been able to deal with responsibilities given the money he's making and his celebrity. He NEEDS someone like Rex in his life actually. Neither one of these guys were considered a cancer in the lockerroom.

our secondary is lockdown. the only ones scoring touchdowns will be braybray and SoHo all day.

I'm sure this was already touch on, but I couldn't get through the first few paragraphs of this article without saying one thing. Anyone who says the Bengals handed the Jets the season finale game is a ****ing moron. I'm not even saying it to be insulting. I mean seriously, the person clearly is mentally deficient and has a below average brain function. Its such a load of horse ****. And it certainly didn't seem to matter a week later when the Jets became the road team and won again.

Archived