Gholston looking to add bulk and move to DE?

slats

According to this blogger, that's exactly what he's looking to do.

I saw the link on Twitter and asked the author about it directly. He said he's got a source, and that's what's going on. The whole blog post is pretty good, but this is the pertinent portion for me:

The Jets could

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vernon Gholston is listed at 6'3" 264 lbs.

Shaun Ellis is listed at 6'5" 285 lbs.

Marques Douglas is listed at 6'2" 290 lbs.

Gholston is strong enough to bulk up 20-25 lbs. to play DE. He might lose a little speed but so what. This might save his career.

Does anyone know if he ever did the MMA training with Jay Glazer and how it worked out?

This is actually a good idea for Vernon, maybe the Jets will be able to squeeze some kind of productionl

Production? Are you serious right now? :rl::rl::rl:

I just don't understand why the coaches, fans, and even Vernon himself just give up. What a pure waste of time.

Ryan and Pettine believe that they can get almost anybody to play DE effectively because all they ask them to do is tie up blockers allowing the LBs to run free. From what I've seen of Gholston, it's the only thing he is good at.

+1 I think we all have low expectations, if he at least becomes productive I can live with it for this year.

When the Jets drafted him I honestly thought he would make a good OLB. But after his rookie year it was obvious he needed to be moved to DE. I'm surprised its taken the Jets this long to realize that.

I've said this before, the OSU coaching staff isn't stupid and they put Gholston at his best position so its time to admit OSU got it right the first time around.

Vernon Gholston is listed at 6'3" 264 lbs.

Shaun Ellis is listed at 6'5" 285 lbs.

Marques Douglas is listed at 6'2" 290 lbs.

Gholston is strong enough to bulk up 20-25 lbs. to play DE. He might lose a little speed but so what. This might save his career.

Does anyone know if he ever did the MMA training with Jay Glazer and how it worked out?

People as Glazer on twitter why hasn't Gholston worked out with him and he always responds with "I don't know but I would love to have him!"

He couldn't make a play when we would be basically running free at the quarterback...I have no reason to believe he'll be any better playing DE in the 3-4.

Maybe because they're two different positions. In Mangini's defense in particular, the OLB has a lot of responsibilities. I think that really stunted any potential growth.

And there's also this:

Ryan and Pettine believe that they can get almost anybody to play DE effectively because all they ask them to do is tie up blockers allowing the LBs to run free. From what I've seen of Gholston, it's the only thing he is good at.

It's sarcastic and snarky, but also true. If the guy can occupy two offensive linemen, and on rare occasions break thru and actually make a play, he's at least doing something.

I'm intrigued, anyway.

Ive been wanting this to happen for a long time now. Clearly he sucks balls at linebacker, were still paying him money, why not let him gain another 20 pounds and move him to a de spot? His athleticism would allow him to develop into a top 7 3-4 de.

Remember, a 3-4 de barely asks for the individual to do much. Gholston would like that. :cheers:

Maybe because they're two different positions. In Mangini's defense in particular, the OLB has a lot of responsibilities. I think that really stunted any potential growth.

I'm intrigued, anyway.

I'm talking about when this year at DE. I believe he started the first 4 games this year because of Ellis being suspended the first game and Pace being suspended 4. Even though Gholston was put at OLB most of the time, he bull rushed for the majority of the time and wasn't close to getting a sack.

He should bulk up on his skinny frame:

Ghost.jpg

I still believe in Gholston. I've always said that he was obviously out of position. The test at LB has been tried and failed. Its hit his image very hard yet I havent heard this guy once b*tch about coaches missing the point that he's not a LB. Put him at DE and give him a legit crack at the position.

I'd take the chance here. We should move down in the draft and start racking up on solid players for the O and D line.

Gholston is the key to a dynasty.

I am very dubious at this idea...for one thing, it is questionable whether or not Gholston can successfully put the weight on correctly. Secondly, you really would like your 3-4 DE to be taller and longer than Gholston is...I think that he is probably a waste of time regardless, but I think that he probably has a better chance of making an impact if continues to try and develop as an OLB instead of trying to learn a completely new position; and please don't tell me that he would be returning to his natural position, 3-4 DE is much different than 4-3 DE

I am very dubious at this idea...for one thing, it is questionable whether or not Gholston can successfully put the weight on correctly. Secondly, you really would like your 3-4 DE to be taller and longer than Gholston is...I think that he is probably a waste of time regardless, but I think that he probably has a better chance of making an impact if continues to try and develop as an OLB instead of trying to learn a completely new position; and please don't tell me that he would be returning to his natural position, 3-4 DE is much different than 4-3 DE

True, but a 3-4 de also requires much less. Gholston already has the athleticism (dont tell me he dosent) and he has the strength, all he needs now is the weight to handle the double teams and hold his edge.

A 3-4 DE is vastly different than a 4-3 DE. VASTLY. The closest position in a 3-4 that Vernon would be familiar with is OLB. It's the position that in large part rushes the QB and contains the edge against the run, exactly what a 4-3 DE does. The only difference is a 3-4 OLB also drops into coverage from time to time. a 3-4 DE basically takes up blockers and basically nothing more. While he may actually become successful as a 3-4 DE (though I doubt it), his stat line is going to suck just as bad making most fans hate him just the same. I had been his biggest supporter to this point, but he is failed in the 3-4 defense..period. If he doesn't go to a 4-3 and play an Osi Umenyuri" role he will never be productive IMO.

Not really...both rush the passer every play, except it is just a little harder to get to the quarterback in a 3-4. Linebackers make the plays in the 3-4 so as long as he's clogging space and blockers, he's doing just fine...not that big of an adjustment.

Nothing but negatives I see.

Questionable whether or not he can successfully put on the weight? Are you serious? This guy is a freak of nature first of all so that if anything should be furthest from questionable. Also, trying to develop at a LB after failing for two straight years under two different head coaches only serves the fact that they only thing questionable is why you would want him to try again instead of heading back to his "natural" position.

Yeah, 3-4 DE is different from the 4-3...assignment wise. But its not like OLB is much more familiar to him so whats your point? He should be more familiar with a position that he failed at? Some people can play standing up, some need their hands in the dirt. Gholston is a lineman....not a backer. You can be taught the position but if you dont have instincts for the position then whats the point? His instincts were successful as a DE. Now if you give him an assignment in the 3-4 then he'll be able to handle it much more fluently simply because they're assignments but he's still can rely on this instincts as a DE. Completely different from a linebacker.

Nothing but negatives I see.

Questionable whether or not he can successfully put on the weight? Are you serious? This guy is a freak of nature first of all so that if anything should be furthest from questionable. Also, trying to develop at a LB after failing for two straight years under two different head coaches only serves the fact that they only thing questionable is why you would want him to try again instead of heading back to his "natural" position.

Yeah, 3-4 DE is different from the 4-3...assignment wise. But its not like OLB is much more familiar to him so whats your point? He should be more familiar with a position that he failed at? Some people can play standing up, some need their hands in the dirt. Gholston is a lineman....not a backer. You can be taught the position but if you dont have instincts for the position then whats the point? His instincts were successful as a DE. Now if you give him an assignment in the 3-4 then he'll be able to handle it much more fluently simply because they're assignments but he's still can rely on this instincts as a DE. Completely different from a linebacker.

+1 Exactly man

A 3-4 DE is vastly different than a 4-3 DE. VASTLY. The closest position in a 3-4 that Vernon would be familiar with is OLB. It's the position that in large part rushes the QB and contains the edge against the run, exactly what a 4-3 DE does. The only difference is a 3-4 OLB also drops into coverage from time to time. a 3-4 DE basically takes up blockers and basically nothing more. While he may actually become successful as a 3-4 DE (though I doubt it), his stat line is going to suck just as bad making most fans hate him just the same. I had been his biggest supporter to this point, but he is failed in the 3-4 defense..period. If he doesn't go to a 4-3 and play an Osi Umenyuri" role he will never be productive IMO.

The average 3-4 de dosent make headlines, get praise for his duties,or get outstanding stats anyways, so who cares what the average fan thinks. As long as he is contributing to the team it will be all for the better. Also, im sure jets fans here already know the duty of a 3-4 de so I think he could be more respected than you think.

This is it!!!! We should leave all the DE's alone in the draft. We are obviously good at that position now that Gholston will be gaining weight. PLEEASE!!!

I would love for him to be something as much as anyone, but if he couldn't do anything before, putting a T in his face sure won't help matters.

Archived