Alan Faneca Waived: MERGED

NJ

Can't say I'm all that surprised. The guy was due to make $7.5 mil this season and his play was above average but nowhere near worth $7.5 mil.

Except that, because so much of that was guaranteed money, the savings from cutting him were really not that big.

I'm scratching my head a little bit about this one.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saying that a rookie 2nd round pick is not going to have "any problem" is a bigger assumption than I am comfortable with. Sometimes draft picks don't work out.
He's a 330 pound athletic mauler playing between a top 5 LT and the top C in the league in a running offense in need of more athleticism inside. I think he'll be OK.

Someone explain this one to me...

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5130870

Write this down: Ducasse will compete with veteran backup Rob Turner and Matt Slauson (sixth-round pick in '09) at left guard. If Ducasse pans out as a rookie, he could slide out to right tackle in 2011, replacing steady vet Damien Woody, who turns 33.

Jets 2nd round pick G Vladimir Ducasse joins 1050 ESPN New York's Bill Daughtry about getting drafted, playing for the Jets and what he brings to the team.

Ducasse (6-4

Someone explain this one to me...

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5130870

So we're gonna put one of the three at LG, then if it's Ducasse, we'll eventually move him over again this time to right tackle. Then we'll need a LG again.. and put that new guy in there... and on and on.

Why tinker so much with the line? Get an LG, play him at LG.

Um if he slides out to RT, Woody will be gone.

What's the difference which position we replace then?

If Vlady is better suited for RT, it makes sense to play him there and get another LG.

If Vlady is better suited for RT, it makes sense to play him there and get another LG.

Lol_que.jpg

This isn't Madden bro.

In which case it would've made better sense for us to draft a guy that is better at LG now, not RT. Have him actually playing the position rather than needing to move him around so we have 2 players new to their line position in one year possibly.

Start him a LG this year and slide him to RT in 2012 when football comes back.

Faneca also helped blocked for a pretty good rushing offense. That is part of the equation as well.

LOL! They ALWAYS ran behind Moore and Woody. Mangold of course helps with that too, but the bulk of the work was handled by Woody and Moore. You pay a guy $7.5M and bring him in for his run blocking you'd think you could run behind him. But even in the run game Faneca missed blocks a lot. I know, I watch for this stuff. He was especially terrible in short yardage and goal line situations, he would miss key blocks like clockwork in those situations.

I hate TJ though so I always just blamed him. Faneca is no Walter Jones or Hutchinson, even though he got paid like that. Hell, I don't think he's even as good as that kid they have in GB..I like him but forgot his name.

LG is a pretty easy spot to replace somebody, especially when you have an all-pro LT and C. The Jets needed Faneca to develop those two next to him, now that is done he is no longer useful. Actually even before he got to the Jets, if you check my posts, I said he was on the decline and he was missing blocks. But I figured the Jets needed a vet, and it was better than Clarke, so I got on board.

I wanted OL picks before this draft, specifically a LG actually. I figured it would be a year or so until he started but this works too, most teams stick that LG in right away anyway.

Now the Jets can actually run left, that oughtta make the run attack tougher to defend. And an improvement in pass blocking? I am all for that. Brick's a pretty damn good pass blocker already, all the new guy has to do is not melt down stupidly.

In which case it would've made better sense for us to draft a guy that is better at LG now, not RT. Have him actually playing the position rather than needing to move him around so we have 2 players new to their line position in one year possibly.
There you go again, see you obviously know more than the coaching staff.

I'm sure they had a reason to like him. Maybey the felt he was the best LG and RT available.

He played LG in college, the time is going to come when Woody needs to be replaced.

What's the difference with who we replace him with?

If Vlady is better suited there, then he moves and we get a LG.

How is that worse then getting a new RT???

No sh*t sis, those were just the facts.

If it were madden I would have made some real good sh*t up for you.

I think the point is that you're basically moving around O-linemen like it doesn't make a difference where they start, how much time they've had playing there, or what the chemistry is like with the unit...

LOL! They ALWAYS ran behind Moore and Woody. Mangold of course helps with that too, but the bulk of the work was handled by Woody and Moore. You pay a guy $7.5M and bring him in for his run blocking you'd think you could run behind him. But even in the run game Faneca missed blocks a lot. I know, I watch for this stuff. He was especially terrible in short yardage and goal line situations, he would miss key blocks like clockwork in those situations.

I hate TJ though so I always just blamed him. Faneca is no Walter Jones or Hutchinson, even though he got paid like that. Hell, I don't think he's even as good as that kid they have in GB..I like him but forgot his name.

LG is a pretty easy spot to replace somebody, especially when you have an all-pro LT and C. The Jets needed Faneca to develop those two next to him, now that is done he is no longer useful. Actually even before he got to the Jets, if you check my posts, I said he was on the decline and he was missing blocks. But I figured the Jets needed a vet, and it was better than Clarke, so I got on board.

I wanted OL picks before this draft, specifically a LG actually. I figured it would be a year or so until he started but this works too, most teams stick that LG in right away anyway.

Now the Jets can actually run left, that oughtta make the run attack tougher to defend. And an improvement in pass blocking? I am all for that. Brick's a pretty damn good pass blocker already, all the new guy has to do is not melt down stupidly.

Hey serph, you think maybe just maybe this has something to do with why they cut his sorry ass?

I think the point is that you're basically moving around O-linemen like it doesn't make a difference where they start, how much time they've had playing there, or what the chemistry is like with the unit...
Dude if Woody retires, he has to be replaced.

So what if we slide Vlady down if he's better suited and replace the LG, it makse no difference!

This.

It's useless arguing though, whatever....

Chemistry is overrated. It's just nice and fuzzy sounding. Like they're a unit of Wonder-friends out to pave a path of Jet righteousness.

Here is what we (fans) know. Fanaca has slipped (somewhat in run blocking - a lot in pass blocking). He is still a good player and veteran leader. Here is what we do not know because we don't see practices. How good Slauson or Hunter may potentially be at LG. We also don't know as much about this rookie as they do. From this act (cutting Fanaca) you can draw a logical conclusion, unless you want to believe that Mr. T and Rex have suddenly lost their minds.

That being said, the timing is strange. Why cut him now? Do not be shocked if Fanaca is resigned at a lot less money.

Faneca was clearly the weakest link in our team's best unit. Replacing Faneca is a good thing...

My issue doesn't come from cutting Faneca it comes from cutting Faneca without having a clearly better option. The rookie has talent and size but by all accounts he is raw. Robert Turner played well in spots for us but he has 2 career starts. He is the probable replacement at this point IMO. I don't know if Slauson is ready to step into a larger role either. Remember one thing though... whoever gets put in that slot plays between Mangold and D'Brick. That has to take SOME of the pressure off of whoever gets that role.

I have a number of questions that I can't answer. However I do know that Bill Callahan has forgotten more about offensive lines than a majority of coaches in the league will ever know. I also know that I have faith in Tanny and Rex. If the 3 feel that this is the right move what else can I do but let it play out before I pass judgement.

Who knows. Maybe Faneca signs with us for a couple of mil less than his last contract would have called for. But you don't pay 7.5 mil to somebody on the decline who is the weakest link of a unit.

This move has me a little concerened because I know little about Slauson and Ducasse is so raw but I'm ok with it since Fanaca's game was clearly slipping along with his large salary. People overreacting to this are doing so mostly because of the name rather than actual play on the field. He fails both the statistical and eyeball tests so I'm not overly worried about a huge dropoff unless they've seriously miscalculated the skills of both Slauson and Ducasse. At worst I think either can approximate what Fanaca gave us last year.

Also, I guess there's a chance he resigns for less money.

faneca lives on reputation

a reputation earned about 5 years ago

he was the worst pass blocker on the unit, and due to make tons of dough

I thought he'd get another year, but the fact the jets cut him, and couldn't trade him during the NFL draft for crying out loud, means there is no market for him

he was the weakest link

good bye !

I don't think any true Jet fan would be happy about this. I'm in shock right now. Maybe it's just plain false. ::GoJets:

I am. He was very overrated and he had the most blown pass blocking assignments on the team with the least pass attempts.

Everyone is going to see a cause and effect and assume that Vlad is starting. I have heard that Slauson had a very good season in practice and was ready to take over at LG. I think Slauson starts and Vlad provides depth at guard and tackle until he is ready to take over for Woody.

lol what a fickle fanbase.

Make up your minds. Do you have confidence in Tannenbaum and Rex or don't you?

We trust, we do.

Alan is on the decline. His pro bowl is for name only. The best way to keep a good line going is to slowly move in fresh blood.

BZ

I trust Tanny & Rex on football moves. That's without question.

But cutting Faneca is not a football move. It's strictly a financial move and that's why I think it's stupid. It doesn't make them better in 2010 and doesn't help the team in the future.

Faneca was clearly the weakest link in our team's best unit. Replacing Faneca is a good thing...

My issue doesn't come from cutting Faneca it comes from cutting Faneca without having a clearly better option. The rookie has talent and size but by all accounts he is raw. Robert Turner played well in spots for us but he has 2 career starts. He is the probable replacement at this point IMO. I don't know if Slauson is ready to step into a larger role either. Remember one thing though... whoever gets put in that slot plays between Mangold and D'Brick. That has to take SOME of the pressure off of whoever gets that role.

I have a number of questions that I can't answer. However I do know that Bill Callahan has forgotten more about offensive lines than a majority of coaches in the league will ever know. I also know that I have faith in Tanny and Rex. If the 3 feel that this is the right move what else can I do but let it play out before I pass judgement.

Who knows. Maybe Faneca signs with us for a couple of mil less than his last contract would have called for. But you don't pay 7.5 mil to somebody on the decline who is the weakest link of a unit.

That is true enough. Who knows. Somebody like Turner or Slauson could have been progressing so nicely in practice last year that Fanaca was one more sack away from potentially being benched. But that would have been a tough call in the middle of the season, his rep, chemistry and all that. They have had the off season to think about it and maybe are now pulling the trigger. Just speculating, but these are the kind of things they know that we don't have all of the info on.

I trust Tanny & Rex on football moves. That's without question.

But cutting Faneca is not a football move. It's strictly a financial move and that's why I think it's stupid. It doesn't make them better in 2010 and doesn't help the team in the future.

How do you KNOW it isn't a football move?

His numbers are on the decline... the other two rooks have years of experience now it is a good time to put in some fresh blood.

BZ

Archived