Alan Faneca Waived: MERGED

NJ

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Faneca was the weak link...

The JETS had the #1 defense and they let Rhodes & Lito go... is the defense gonna suck now?

The Oline will be as good if not better.

Hey, how is your boy Clemens working out for you...or Pennington for that matter...yeah, I'll remember this post of yours too.

Maybe this is a Moore like move?

We were all freaking out about Moore being gone... and then he came right back.

He is on his last legs and think we have guys ready to step in. but he's does have some life left. 7.5, lets be real the jets were not gonna pay that. lets just hope we resign him at .... lets say 3.5

Dude, it's all about the playoffs...you show it to me. Like the article says that Max posted, this was a money move...not football.

Are you serious?

If he wasn't such a liability in the pass the JETS might have had a home playoff game... also did you ever think maybe the JETS would like to improve the Oline? Maybe you are content with it but in the NFL being complacent gets you nowhere FAST.

Dude, it's all about the playoffs...you show it to me. Like the article says that Max posted, this was a money move...not football.
Are you kidding me???

The playoffs was a 3 game sample size, he was the worst in the entire season, guarding against the fewest pass attempts in the entire league!

He was a liability, and would only have gotten worse this year.

Are you serious?

If he wasn't such a liability in the pass the JETS might have had a home playoff game... also did you ever think maybe the JETS would like to improve the Oline? Maybe you are content with it but in the NFL being complacent gets you nowhere FAST.

BINGO!

Faneca was the weak link...

The JETS had the #1 defense and they let Rhodes & Lito go... is the defense gonna suck now?

The Oline will be as good if not better.

They were replaced with proven players though, I trust the CS but I also remember how this team looked when we let a proven vet on the O-line go and replaced them with question marks

I'm surprised, but he was definitely the weakest link.

There's still a possibility of resiging him for less money.

I was putting the article on the front page blasting the Jets and that exact thing was going through my head. I was like watch them get him back here for under 4 million.

Either way, pretty risky.

What if Callahan doesn't think he was the 2nd-best guard on the team prior to this draft? Even in an uncapped year, you simply don't keep Alan Faneca on the team for $7.5M and not start him. I don't even know that you keep him and then announce an open competition for his position. With a player like that, you cut ties altogether. If he re-signs for less $, then he re-signs for less. But he does so with the understanding that he doesn't walk into the starting job.

People bitched all season about how he got manhandled so often last year. So the team replaces him with either one of the two players who backed him up last year OR a potential mauler they just drafted. It seems the team is confident with either Slauson or Hunter stepping in, unless Vlad matures faster than expected and steps in right away.

We'll see. But now we have something more to follow in camp reports other than expected high-level play from incumbents and veteran acquisitions, where we know who's starting and who's not before camp begins.

Here here! :cheers:

Faneca was a liability, he gave up more sacks than anybody in the league, and we passed less than everybody!

They may end up better without him.

And so we have a rookie guard, not the best one in the draft mind you... and all of the sudden he is going to start and be LESS of a "liability"?

I don't buy it for a second.

Also, just ignore the fact that the dude is a BEAST of a run blocker.

Are you serious?

:rl:

Yes if Faneca blocked better the Jets would have had a home playoff game. Terrible post bro. The Jets didn't have a home playoff game because they had a rookie QB throw a ton of interceptions.

Running and defense were # 1. But let's improve that OLine.

It is an uncapped year. Money shouldn't be an issue. Bring Faneca to camp and see how the rookie does against him before making a move like this.

Are you kidding me???

The playoffs was a 3 game sample size, he was the worst in the entire season, guarding against the fewest pass attempts in the entire league!

He was a liability, and would only have gotten worse this year.

Okay, we'll see how this all goes down. All I know is at the end of game with the Colts, I didn't say it was Faneca's fault we lost...I think this fan base blamed it on our defense in the second half.

And so we have a rookie guard, not the best one in the draft mind you... and all of the sudden he is going to start and be LESS of a "liability"?

I don't buy it for a second.

Also, just ignore the fact that the dude is a BEAST of a run blocker.

Just ignore the fact that we have two other players already in the system that may be ready to step up and do better than fanny, who's run blocking was slipping.

Okay, we'll see how this all goes down. All I know is at the end of game with the Colts, I didn't say it was Faneca's fault we lost...I think this fan base blamed it on our defense in the second half.
OK, use a 1 game sample size and ignore the rest of the season. Brilliant!

I read somewhere once, that OG is one of the easiest transitions to make out of college. Not sure if its true or not, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Gotta trust the guys calling the shots right now. They've got a like a 90+% success rate right now with roster decisions. Seriously, the Jets have more 2nd day picks still on the roster contributing than the Rams have 1st rounders from teh last 3 years.

What if Callahan doesn't think he was the 2nd-best guard on the team prior to this draft? Even in an uncapped year, you simply don't keep Alan Faneca on the team for $7.5M and not start him. I don't even know that you keep him and then announce an open competition for his position. With a player like that, you cut ties altogether. If he re-signs for less $, then he re-signs for less. But he does so with the understanding that he doesn't walk into the starting job.

People bitched all season about how he got manhandled so often last year. So the team replaces him with either one of the two players who backed him up last year OR a potential mauler they just drafted. It seems the team is confident with either Slauson or Hunter stepping in, unless Vlad matures faster than expected and steps in right away.

We'll see. But now we have something more to follow in camp reports other than expected high-level play from incumbents and veteran acquisitions, where we know who's starting and who's not before camp begins.

You rock Sperm!

Especially this...

you simply don't keep Alan Faneca on the team for $7.5M and not start him

Didn't realize he was locked in for that much. I will now go to sleep, somewhat peacefully.

I still wonder where, and how we replace him though.

7.5 M is a LOT, but I was planning on the Jets not only starting him, he IS our Backup center, to boot.

Hope they work it all out. The QB and RB game are really only as good as the offensive linemen.

One of the reasons Faneca was probably brought in was to add stability between 2 young O Linemen, which he did. Now that his pass blocking is deteriorating and Brick and Mangold have solidified their play, you can afford to put a rookie between them.

Also you have to protect Sanchez's backside which according to the stats Faneca wasnt doing a good job of. You need your young QB more than you need an aging guard.

I read somewhere once, that OG is one of the easiest transitions to make out of college. Not sure if its true or not, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Gotta trust the guys calling the shots right now. They've got a like a 90+% success rate right now with roster decisions. Seriously, the Jets have more 2nd day picks still on the roster contributing than the Rams have 1st rounders from teh last 3 years.

Im just concerned that this was more Woody's decision than Rex's and/or Tanny's... Yes its nothing but speculation on my part. But still something im concerned about.

Just ignore the fact that we have two other players already in the system that may be ready to step up and do better than fanny, who's run blocking was slipping.

I don't get how we're improving by cutting a perennial pro bowler that could have served as depth at LEAST. Now we get NOTHING . There is no reason to be happy about this action because it does precisely NOTHING to help the team.

Yeah, that's right. I think playoff games are a little more important then regular season games...maybe you don't...I understand your thinking now.
Right so how many playoff games you gonna win, without winning any in the regular season?

Every game is important, it's the NFL!

The guy was a liability all year long, he gave up more sacks than any guard in the league, and he had the fewest passing downs to defend!

We are going to pass more now and he would have been even worse!

Gotta trust the guys calling the shots right now.

In this instance I think you have to. Tannenbaum went through a complete disaster already with this exact position and it's hard to believe he'd make the same mistake twice. I find it difficult to believe that he'd sacrifice any players crucial to a run with how much he's been loading up for the past 2 years without sufficient plans to fill the spot accordingly.

:rl:

Yes if Faneca blocked better the Jets would have had a home playoff game. Terrible post bro. The Jets didn't have a home playoff game because they had a rookie QB throw a ton of interceptions.

Running and defense were # 1. But let's improve that OLine.

It is an uncapped year. Money shouldn't be an issue. Bring Faneca to camp and see how the rookie does against him before making a move like this.

This is the part of it I have an issue with. What if it's Ducasse rather than Slauson or Hunter who they want to play LG this year (at least a reasonable assumption since they released Faneca after drafting Ducasse)? So what if, after the first handful of practices, they realize there's no f'ing way this kid is ready to start at LG against NFL defenses?

I don't have an issue with them releasing Faneca. What bugs me a little is they didn't even wait to see if Ducasse is remotely ready for this level before doing it. My guess is he'll be fine or better, but we all know there have been far better prospects drafted than Vlad Ducasse who busted at the pro level.

I'm just saying, unless there were locker room issues we're unaware of, releasing Faneca this early was an unnecessary risk.

I think this was more than just a cost cutting move by the Jets. Fanecas name had become bigger than his game, but i also think this will free up the Jets to possibly add another FA and get the Jets off the books for the 5million they owe him when he signs with another team

I don't get how we're improving by cutting a perennial pro bowler that could have served as depth at LEAST. Now we get NOTHING . There is no reason to be happy about this action because it does precisely NOTHING to help the team.
The fact that he made the pro bowl last year makes the whole thing a joke! Who are you kidding???

Right so if Sanchez has better protection now, it equals NOTHING.

Who pays $7.5 million for depth?

Give me a break!

This is the part of it I have an issue with. What if it's Ducasse rather than Slauson or Hunter who they want to play LG this year (at least a reasonable assumption since they released Faneca after drafting Ducasse)? So what if, after the first handful of practices, they realize there's no f'ing way this kid is ready to start at LG against NFL defenses?

I don't have an issue with them releasing Faneca. What bugs me a little is they didn't even wait to see if Ducasse is remotely ready for this level before doing it. My guess is he'll be fine or better, but we all know there have been far better prospects drafted than Vlad Ducasse who busted at the pro level.

I'm just saying, unless there were locker room issues we're unaware of, releasing Faneca this early was an unnecessary risk.

I agree, that is the only thing I don't like about this, but like you said there may be a locker room reason they did it now.

Im just concerned that this was more Woody's decision than Rex's and/or Tanny's... Yes its nothing but speculation on my part. But still something im concerned about.

Don't agree.

I think people sell Woody Johnson short because of the PSLs and Stadium issue. I think he wants to win, a lot.

Archived