Alan Faneca Waived: MERGED

NJ

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/04/jets_cut_pro_bowl_guard_alan_f.html

Jets cut Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca

By Manish Mehta/The Star-Ledger

April 23, 2010, 11:57PM

The Jets have cut Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca, according to a person familiar with the situation. The person requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak on the Jets or Faneca's behalf. The Jets will likely make a formal announcement Monday, according to the person. More news to follow. Full story

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets have cut Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca, according to a person familiar with the situation. The person requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak on the Jets or Faneca's behalf. The Jets will likely make a formal announcement Monday, according to the person. More news to follow. Full story

WOW. They are screwing with the best unit on the team in an uncapped year because of money. Can't say I am happy about this.

If they didn't have 18 reps to pay hawking PSLs would money be as much of an issue for them? And the crazy ads they are putting all over the place.

I hope this kid is ready. Just hate to see cost cutting moves when they are so close.

Or Slauson.

Exactly. We have no idea what Slauson showed in practice last season. Slauson could start with VD being groomed to replace Woody or it could be VD at LG with Slauson for depth. No way of knowing right now how things will pan out.

WOW. They are screwing with the best unit on the team in an uncapped year because of money. Can't say I am happy about this.

If they didn't have 18 reps to pay hawking PSLs would money be as much of an issue for them? And the crazy ads they are putting all over the place.

I hope this kid is ready. Just hate to see cost cutting moves when they are so close.

I don't think any true Jet fan would be happy about this. I'm in shock right now. Maybe it's just plain false. ::GoJets:

I'm not sure it's only about money, but they should keep him through camp, let him teach Vlady D, and then cut him.

I think Hunter may see some time in his place as well. It's a shame how underrated he is by our fanbase (even though we tend to overrate and underrate the wrong people anyways), dude's versatile as hell and he's definitely in sync with the rest of the unit. He's a damn good player to have in your rotation.

So much for a probowl appearance. I seen this coming though. When you're getting owned by Randy Starks there's a problem.

Thanks for the memories Faneca.

Exactly. We have no idea what Slauson showed in practice last season. Slauson could start with VD being groomed to replace Woody or it could be VD at LG with Slauson for depth. No way of knowing right now how things will pan out.
We have Turner too.

lol what a fickle fanbase.

Make up your minds. Do you have confidence in Tannenbaum and Rex or don't you?

I do, Faneca was a liability and he was making too much money for that sh*t!

Obviously the staff feels they have or will have someone to fill in, and there is plenty of time for them to gel.

Like I said before as long as we have someone who can play the position they will be fine, chemistry and all.

lol what a fickle fanbase.

Make up your minds. Do you have confidence in Tannenbaum and Rex or don't you?

Until they win something, I think we as fans can question certain moves...when they win the SB, I'll put them (Tanny and Rex) next to the guy who claimed to walk on water.

One of the biggest criticisms of Buffalo Bills quarterback Trent Edwards is that he holds onto the ball too long.

"I took some hits I probably should have tried to avoid," Edwards admitted Tuesday, when speaking with reporters for the first time since November.

But research from Football Outsiders managing editor Bill Barnwell suggests Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick absorbed more unavoidable hits than any other team allowed. For an ESPN Insider article, Barnwell passes along some unsurprising data: The Bills' offensive line led the NFL with 28.5 blown blocks that led to sacks.

Somewhat surprising is that Fred Jackson led all running backs with four blown pass blocks that led to sacks.

The Bills allowed 46 sacks. Three teams surrendered more, but the Bills attempted only 27.6 passes a game, second-fewest in the league to the New York Jets.

That makes Barnwell's findings about Jets left guard Alan Faneca all the more fascinating. Faneca, a perennial Pro Bowler, was rated as the worst left guard when it came to pass blocking. He was charged with seven sacks and three hurries for 10 blown blocks.

Bills center Geoff Hangartner rated the worst at his position in pass blocking. He was flanked by rookie guards Andy Levitre and Eric Wood for most of the year, which didn't help. But Barnwell blamed Hangartner for five sacks and one hurry.

Also of interest to Bills fans is their former left tackle, three-time Pro Bowler Jason Peters, graded as the worst at his position. Peters, an elite run blocker, struggled against the NFC East's superstar edge rushers, allowing seven sacks and four hurries

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/12064/a-look-at-some-ole-o-linemen

We passed less than anyone in the NFL last year, yet Faneca still allowed more sacks than any guard in the NFL.

His blocking was slipping and we are going to pass more this year...

TIME TO BEAT IT!

Really? Do you have a stat proving he allowed more sacks then any other guard? First time I heard of this...never heard anything close to this during the season and I'm sure with a glaring weakness like this, it would have been broadcast big time during the playoffs.

How many times was Sanchez sacked in the playoffs because of Faneca?

Alan Faneca profile Jets tight fileJohn O'Boyle/The Star-LedgerAlan FanecaThe Jets have cut nine-time Pro Bowl left guard Alan Faneca, according to a person familiar with the situation. The person requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak on the Jets' or Faneca's behalf.

The Jets will likely make a formal announcement Monday, according to the person.

Faneca, 33, was reported to be on the trading block for weeks, but the Jets couldn't find any takers. He was scheduled to make $7.5 million this season, of which $5.25 million was guaranteed.

The Jets' selection of Massachusetts offensive lineman Vladimir Ducasse raised further speculation over Faneca's immediate future with the team. General manager Mike Tannenbaum sidestepped a question about Faneca's future Friday night after the Ducasse pick.

“Alan’s on our team. He’s done a lot of great things for us,” Tannenbaum said. “All those other questions are hypotheticals. All I can tell you is where we are now.… I know there’s a lot of speculation, but that’s typically what happens over a weekend like that.”

Faneca joined the Jets in 2008 after establishing himself as one of the league's best run blockers during 10 seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The 13th-year pro struggled in pass protection last season.

More news to follow.

Jets are still going to pay him?

Really? Do you have a stat proving he allowed more sacks then any other guard? First time I heard of this...never heard anything close to this during the season and I'm sure with a glaring weakness like this, it would have been broadcast big time during the playoffs.

How many times was Sanchez sacked in the playoffs because of Faneca?

Dude here's your stat: http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/12064/a-look-at-some-ole-o-linemen

You want playoff stats, you'll have to look it up.

Archived