Alan Faneca Waived: MERGED

NJ

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817cb285&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

After cutting Faneca, Jets still owe veteran $5.25 million

jason_lacanfora_HS_09_02_40x55..jpgBy Jason La Canfora | NFL.com

The Jets released former Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca over the weekend. The 12-year veteran was due to make $7.5 million in 2010, with $5.25 million guaranteed.

FAN049971.jpgAlan Faneca, G

Height: 6-5 Weight: 305

College: Louisiana State

Experience: 12 seasons

Unlike many guaranteed portions of contracts, there is no offset clause in Faneca's deal, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. He gets the full $5.25 million, and, when Faneca inevitably signs his next deal as a free agent, none of that money counts against that total. When it's all said and done, the veteran could well end up earning over $10 million this season.

Interestingly, another prominent player released this season despite a massive guaranteed payment -- Jake Delhomme, with nearly $14 million guaranteed by the Panthers -- also had no offset in his contract, allowing him to make about $20 million total this season.

They have something else in common as well: Delhomme and Faneca are both represented by the same agency, Priority Sports. Nice work on their part, for sure.

205 Comments | 3 Recommendations | E-mail

Is he that bad he's not even worth keeping when and you still gotta pay him 5.2 mil?

I was wondering about the offset clause. Thanks for the post.

BTW, it's a win-win situation for everyone involved. The Jets save $2.25 million and get younger on the O-line with more upside, Faneca gets more money than he ever could if he stayed with the jets, and some team gets a decent OG with leadership skills to help them this year.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Faneca was in decline when the Jets picked him up from the Steelers. He's about to drop into steep decline. Watch where he goes next year. When he's not lined up between the best center in football and a better than average LT, he'll be exposed as the liability he is.

This is a $5.25M addition by subtraction.

so Damien Woody just tweeted that it was like a day of mourning at work today--hey don't cry too long any of youse-not one single one of us will ever receive 5 million 250 thosand dollars to NOT go to work like Faneca

so Damien Woody just tweeted that it was like a day of mourning at work today--hey don't cry too long any of youse-not one single one of us will ever receive 5 million 250 thosand dollars to NOT go to work like Faneca

How about making $25,000 each time for 10 random weigh-in's a year, as a bonus for staying under 360 lbs.

Atleast keep him on to mentor the young O-line men. Now we have a rookie and a 2nd year lineman starting.

Faneca would have only embraced the role of "mentor" if he were the starter, and even then, he's never realistically earned that reputation as a team leader during the course of his career. Had Faneca come back, he would have had to earn his stater role, and I highly doubt he would have wanted to teach some young guys to take his job.

We have Mangold, Woody, and Ferguson to take Ducasse, Slauson and Turner under their wings. Not to mention, the best OL coach in the NFL, Callahan.

I was wondering about the offset clause. Thanks for the post.

BTW, it's a win-win situation for everyone involved. The Jets save $2.25 million and get younger on the O-line with more upside, Faneca gets more money than he ever could if he stayed with the jets, and some team gets a decent OG with leadership skills to help them this year.

Any time a team is willing to pay a guy 5 million plus not to play for them in AN UNCAPPED YEAR, it tells you all you need to know about whether that team thinks he can still play or not.

Any time a team is willing to pay a guy 5 million plus not to play for them in AN UNCAPPED YEAR, it tells you all you need to know about whether that team thinks he can still play or not.

he'll help some team this year. he's not a probowler, but he can play. just not for the jets.

I trust Tanny & Rex on football moves. That's without question.

But cutting Faneca is not a football move. It's strictly a financial move and that's why I think it's stupid. It doesn't make them better in 2010 and doesn't help the team in the future.

They are paying him over $5m this year not to be on the team, that tells me that this is purely a football move. If they were counting pennies, they would never have cut him given the guaranted cash.

QUOTE=Green DNA;1573422]They are paying him over $5m this year not to be on the team, that tells me that this is purely a football move. If they were counting pennies, they would never have cut him given the guaranted cash.

for God's sake, stop being so logical ;)

100% a football move..1 - he lost it and is horrid in pass protection and we are gonna pass more and 2 - he became a clubhouse lawyer.

=Green DNA;1573422]They are paying him over $5m this year not to be on the team, that tells me that this is purely a football move. If they were counting pennies, they would never have cut him given the guaranted cash.

100% a football move..1 - he lost it and is horrid in pass protection and we are gonna pass more and 2 - he became a clubhouse lawyer.

If it isn't a money move why not keep him as a backup? Let someone else beat him out in camp? Wouldn't be a bad guy to have around for depth.

Do you seriously believe that the 25 time Pro-Bowler is going to sit quietly and be a backup? If he's not starting he has to be gone.

hey, Faneca could still be here if he agreed to restructure his contract. he didnt and he is gone..simple..

I thought that it was 100% a football move?

Archived