Armando the fin fan is at it again...

NIGHT STALKER

May 16, 2010

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO

ASALGUERO@MIAMIHERALD.COM

They're beating the Super Bowl drums in New Jersey because the Jets have a wonderfully entertaining big mouth for a coach, an aggressive front office and a star-studded roster that suggests the team that fell in the conference title game last season can take the next step this season.

In Miami, no one is boasting. There are no Super Bowl dreams at night, and the days are filled with the usual silence from Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland and Tony Sparano.

At some point this offseason, Sparano might go out on a limb and predict the Dolphins will show up for their 2010 games.

So the approaches the Jets and Dolphins are taking are vastly different.

The expectation for each team is different. The vibe around the two teams is, you guessed it, different.

And that should not be.

I'm here to tell you that somebody -- either the Jets or Dolphins or the media covering them -- is making a terrible mistake in judgment because these two teams are practically mirror images of each other.

The two teams look similar on the field, have similar philosophies on offense and defense and, most importantly, have similar strengths, weaknesses and talent.

So, either the Jets are overestimating their worth. Or we're badly underestimating the Dolphins.

CLEAR ADVANTAGE

Study the starting lineups for the Jets and Dolphins. There are places the Jets enjoy a clear talent advantage:

At cornerback, Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie get the nod over Vontae Davis and Sean Smith based on experience, performance and the fact that Revis is inarguably the NFL's best at his position.

The nod at outside linebacker also has to go to the Jets because they signed Jason Taylor away from the Dolphins and he, Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas are more seasoned than Miami's likely combination of Cameron Wake, Koa Misi or perhaps Charlie Anderson.

The Jets also hold an advantage at tight end, where Dustin Keller has been more productive than Miami starter Anthony Fasano over the past two years.

But that's where the advantage for the supposedly Super Bowl-bound Jets ends.

The Dolphins, meanwhile, have better running backs, with Ricky Williams, Ronnie Brown and Patrick Cobbs having proved themselves over the years and showing no sign of aging.

The Jets have Shonn Greene, who is an unknown quantity or quality, and former star LaDainian Tomlinson, whose recent statistics speak of a player in decline.

The Dolphins are better established and deeper at defensive end with Kendall Langford, Tony McDaniel and Phillip Merling about to get a boost from first-round pick Jared Odrick.

Sure, the Jets have a good player in Shaun Ellis, but the Jets will need two defensive ends in 2010, and New York's other starter is a question mark.

The Jets are so desperate for defensive end help they moved outside linebacker Vernon Gholston there, hoping he can contribute. A 263-pound bust linebacker as a 3-4 defensive end?

Good luck with that.

Miami's Yeremiah Bell, a Pro Bowl player, is bigger, stronger, faster and simply better than Jim Leonhard at strong safety.

Miami kicker Dan Carpenter is better than New York's Nick Folk because Carpenter went to the Pro Bowl last year, and Folk missed 10 field goals -- three more than Carpenter has missed in two years.

The Dolphins own talent advantages over the Jets, just as New York holds some over Miami.

The rest of the starting lineups, meanwhile, suggest no clear advantage to either team.

New Yorkers think second-year starter Mark Sanchez is going to be a star quarterback. And he might develop into one, so no argument there.

But Miamians think Chad Henne, in his second-year as the starter, is similarly going to be a star quarterback.

New York's offensive line is very good except for that left guard spot, where Alan Faneca struggled last year and is gone with no certain replacement on the scene. Miami's offensive line is similarly good except for that left guard spot where Justin Smiley struggled last year and is likely gone with his replacement yet to be identified.

VERY RELIABLE

The Jets love Tony Richardson at fullback, and Miami's Lousaka Polite is every bit his equal.

Yes, Bart Scott and David Harris are very good inside linebackers. So are Miami's Karlos Dansby and Channing Crowder.

Both the Jets and Dolphins must find a reliable starting free safety because neither team can guarantee the players currently vying for the job are long-term answers.

The nose tackle position is interesting on both rosters because New York's Kris Jenkins is coming off an injury and is just one good meal shy of 400 pounds. Miami is addressing the nose tackle spot by moving Randy Starks from defensive end and hoping he can adjust quickly and smoothly.

So both teams are investing equal amounts of faith that their nose tackle solutions will hold.

Last season, the Jets had a better wide receiver corps than the Dolphins. Come to think of it, the University of Miami had a better wide receiver corps than the Dolphins.

But the addition of Pro Bowl player Brandon Marshall and expected maturation of Brian Hartline evens Miami's receivers with New York's -- even following New York's addition of Santonio Holmes when he's done with his, ahem, drug suspension.

Obviously, the comparison of offensive lines or linebacker corps is an offseason fancy because come this fall, Miami's linebackers will not face New York's linebackers.

But the comparison of talent should be an eye-opener. The teams are pretty much equals, and the only separation between them might come from injuries or weather or other twists of fate.

As for today, if the Jets are a Super Bowl contender, so are the Dolphins. If the Dolphins are just pretenders, so are the Jets.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for today, if the Jets are a Super Bowl contender, so are the Dolphins. If the Dolphins are just pretenders, so are the Jets.

Haha... fortunately, I often skip to the end of these long articles to see if the author ever gets to his/her point.

After reading the sentence above, I didn't need to read anything else.

Apparently, the Jets were NOT the only team that came up 28 minutes short of the SuperBowl... the Dolphins ALSO lost that game in the 2nd half to Peyton Manning and his #3 and #4 WRs.

Haha... fortunately, I often skip to the end of these long articles to see if the author ever gets to his/her point.

After reading the sentence above, I didn't need to read anything else.

Apparently, the Jets were NOT the only team that came up 28 minutes short of the SuperBowl... the Dolphins ALSO lost that game in the 2nd half to Peyton Manning and his #3 and #4 WRs.

He also fails to mention that last year was the first year under Rex. I guess that was no big deal to this JV writer.

The Dolphins, meanwhile, have better running backs, with Ricky Williams, Ronnie Brown and Patrick Cobbs having proved themselves over the years and showing no sign of aging.

Yup, Cobbs has proved himself year after year, and Greene is an unknown quantity. Lol.

The Jets have Shonn Greene, who is an unknown quantity or quality, and former star LaDainian Tomlinson, whose recent statistics speak of a player in decline.

He failed to mention our clear advantages at ILB and on the O-Line. He grouped ILB and OL into the statement, "the rest of the starting lineups, meanwhile, suggest no clear advantage to either team."

There's no one in the business better than the combination of Harris and Scott, and the Jets have, pretty easily, the best offensive line in the game as well. No clear advantage, huh Armando?

With Richardson at 38 years old, its a valid point. He was off-base on pretty much everything else, but I'm willing to give him this one. We drafted John Connor for a reason.

Yes, Richardson is 38 and probably in his final season, but let's not pretend that Polite has come close to doing what Richardson had done even just in the last couple of years.

Richardson is a huge part of Thomas Jones success the last two years. Does anyone here really think Jones puts up the numbers he put up the last two years with Lousaka Polite as his FB?

So let's not pretend that Polite is "every bit the equal" of Tony Richardson.

Yes, Richardson is 38 and probably in his final season, but let's not pretend that Polite has come close to doing what Richardson had done even just in the last couple of years.

Richardson is a huge part of Thomas Jones success the last two years. Does anyone here really think Jones puts up the numbers he put up the last two years with Lousaka Polite as his FB?

So let's not pretend that Polite is "every bit the equal" of Tony Richardson.

To answer your question, yes. TJ would have put up equal numbers running behind Polite.

Stop being a homer.

To answer your question, yes. TJ would have put up equal numbers running behind Polite.

Stop being a homer.

Thinking TJ is that good is homerish. Polite has been blocking for much more talented RBs than Richardson has the last two years.

Williams and Brown are both significantly more talented than Jones.

:rl:

TJ will have a great season in KC just watch.

The track record for aging RB's in Kansas City just ain't all that great. For a guy who primarily takes what his offensive line gives him, he's in for a rude awakening not being able to run behind a Callahan-led unit of Mangold, Brick, Ferguson and Woody.

The Fins are more of a threat than Jet fans are admitting to. All it takes for the Pats to suck is one injury to Brady or Moss. The Fins will be the bigger threat over the next few years. Marshall and Dansby are real difference makers, their team will be much better. If Vontae Davis and Smith fulfill their potential its one of the best CB tandems in the league. This is a dangerous team.

Ok, I'm a pretty big Jets fan, I live in NJ too.

Why is it that I hear more talk about how we're talking Super Bowl, than I do actually hear us talking Super Bowl?

And it's not even close.

Excellent point. I've read more articles saying how the Rex Ryan-lead Jets are once again beating their chest or once again boasting the best team in the league etc. when all I've heard from our coach was a few answered questions saying that he trusts his guys and winning the SB is their goal.

They need boxing to come back or anything really, to give some of these guys something to write about in the offseason.

Hell, now that I think of it, I just wanted boxing to come back big so I can stop paying 50 bucks to see a crappy-ass fight. Having boxed for a while, and being in a family that loves it, I can appreciate Mayweather's talent, but it's not what I want to watch. Give me Tyson back with Cus D'amato and I'll sit through a football-less season if it comes to that.

The track record for aging RB's in Kansas City just ain't all that great. For a guy who primarily takes what his offensive line gives him, he's in for a rude awakening not being able to run behind a Callahan-led unit of Mangold, Brick, Ferguson and Woody.

Did Callahan, Mangold, Ferguson and Woody come from Chicago with Jones?

You people tell it like Jones was nothing before he was a Jet.

Did Callahan, Mangold, Ferguson and Woody come from Chicago with Jones?

You people tell it like Jones was nothing before he was a Jet.

That's exactly it. The Jets O-line was better then the one in Chicago...plus, TJ is a few years older now...big difference.

Miami's OL is on par with the Jets'. Jets have the best center in football, but Miami's franchise LT is better than D'Brick.

Who cares about comparing FB's? Richardson is in steep decline, but the Jets took the best FB in the draft - so I guess they care. But Polite is better than Richardson at this point in their careers.

Jets take the DL not just because of Kris Jenkins, who's head & shoulders above anyone on the fish, but because Pouha would also start on Miami.

Miami's WR's aren't much beyond Marshall, and will not be a factor at all when the fish and Jets meet, so I don't worry about it too much. Miami's CB's don't come remotely close to the Jets.

The RB's are tough to compare because of age, injury, and circumstance. I'm optimistic that LT will look a lot better rushing the ball in the Jets scheme than he did behind the same OL that allowed Darren Sproles to rush for 3.7 ypc last year. I like Shonn Greene a lot, and Ronnie Brown is not currently under contract, and is coming off a Lisfranc fracture. I also think the barfing rookie might be pretty good.

I think the big difference between the two teams is the Jets' reasonably successful 2-1 post-season run in the rookie years of the head coach and QB. Sporano made the playoffs in his rookie year and sh!t the bed, Henne won 7 games as a first year starter. As noted in the QB comparison thread, Sanchez looked better towards the end of the year than Henne - with Henne throwing int's in six straight games to end the season, for a total of 10 over that period of time.

10fn8eu.gif

loljetsha-02.gif

i'm just gonna reiterate what ha sbeen said already since you posted this. your proof that polite is so great is an illegal helmet to helmet cheap shot on bart scott? and fwiw, i think polite is very good. btu this video only proves that he's good at making a dirty hit.

Archived