Right now...who would you rather have.....

sirlancemehlot

Tell me one game Feely won for us, please.

Look it up yourself. Week Two against NE, Feely scored 10 of our 16 points.

Week Thirteen against Buffalo Feely scored 13 of our 19 points.

He kept us in others.

Then, follow that up by explaining to me how Feely would help us win MORE games than Taylor, assuming both put up similar production from last season (Taylor had 6 sacks).

This comment is more asinine than your first one. Feely puts points on the board as part of his job. Taylor is a LB. You do the math, tardus.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He kept us in others.

This comment is more asinine than your first one. Feely puts points on the board as part of his job. Taylor is a LB. You do the math, tardus.

So now Feely gets credit for every time our offense fails to get into the endzone? Give me a break. Feely scored the vast majority of the points for the 2007 Dolphins, and they went 1-15, so what the hell does that mean?

So now Feely gets credit for every time our offense fails to get into the endzone? Give me a break.

He kicked FGs that kept us alive when the O couldn't do better.

Feely scored the vast majority of the points for the 2007 Dolphins, and they went 1-15, so what the hell does that mean?

The rest of the team sucked. What the hell do YOU mean?

He kicked FGs that kept us alive when the O couldn't do better.

That's my whole point. I don't give Feely credit for the incompetence of his teammates, which is exactly what you're doing when you credit him for how great of a portion of total points he kicked. Don't get me wrong, he did his job and that's all well and good, but it's not like he did anything spectacular. He made the routine kicks he was supposed to make, because you know, that's his job. There's guys on the street every year who can do that no problem.

The difference is when it's big time kicks, when it's a tough kick, when the game is on the line. That is where certain kickers stand out and Feely is more certainly not one of those who does, at least not in a good way. This is the same kicker who trumped Doug freakin' Brien for kicking incompetence by missing 3 game-winners in a single game.

So wait, you're telling me even the mighty Jay Feely couldn't even get them to 2-14? Wow, he really must be just an average kicker, and not the superman you make him out to be. Way to refute your own point.

I'm excited to see what Rex does with Taylor in this defense. If he plays up to his maximum potential, we're possibly talking about 8-10 sacks.

So wait, you're telling me even the mighty Jay Feely couldn't even get them to 2-14? Wow, he really must be just an average kicker, and not the superman you make him out to be. Way to refute your own point.

I demolished both of your "points."

How the Dolphins failed themselves and Jay Feely has zero to do with who could help the Jets win more - Feely or Taylor. Stay on topic, Dilweed.

And I never said Feely was anything more than "well above mediocre."

Pay attention.

That's my whole point. I don't give Feely credit for the incompetence of his teammates, which is exactly what you're doing when you credit him for how great of a portion of total points he kicked.

But he still had to make those kicks, and at the end of the day he scored the bulk of the points that won the game. FACT.

I demolished both of your "points."

How the Dolphins failed themselves and Jay Feely has zero to do with who could help the Jets win more - Feely or Taylor. Stay on topic, Dilweed.

And I never said Feely was anything more than "well above mediocre."

Pay attention.

Somehow, calling me a dilweed strengthened your argument. Well played, Mauer.

Somehow, calling me a dilweed strengthened your argument. Well played, Mauer.

Seriously, there are 101 reasons the Dolphins sucked in '07, and their defense contributed greatly. How is any of that relevant to the argument of how much Feely helped the Jets, and how can my two concrete examples not be?

Seriously, there are 101 reasons the Dolphins sucked in '07, and their defense contributed greatly. How is any of that relevant to the argument of how much Feely helped the Jets, and how can my two concrete examples not be?

Because while you provided 2 examples where you feel he "won us the game", I provided 3 examples where he directly contributed to losses.

What does that make him? An average kicker. And there are plenty of average kickers we can get off the scrap heap to replace him (assuming Folk doesn't work out), some of which do NOT suck at kickoffs.

And to reiterate, the fact that the Dolphins went 1-15 with Feely shows kickers are relatively inconsequential to whether his team wins or not. A guy who is capable of getting 8 or so sacks is definitely more valuable.

You see Feely as the guy who puts up points, as if he's some integral piece to the offensive puzzle. What you DON'T see is how any ordinary kicker can do his job just as well, and that there are NOT that many guys like Taylor who can rush the passer and keep points OFF the board for the opponent.

Getting Taylor was a big reason we weren't forced to draft a pass-rushing DE/OLB and instead were able to improve our secondary and offensive line.

While it's true that his occasional tackling of the return man and his nice job punting when called for gave Feeley a couple of "extra dimensions" at his job, let's not forget that he was a totally mediocre kicker who has made his rounds around the league for a reason. He needs all the "extra dimensions" he can get, because he's not that good.

Just as there's a reason the Jets let Feely go. Can't make clutch kicks. At least Taylor had 6 sacks last season.

Ok, so allegedly Feeley can't make clutch kicks (even though he actually made almost every clutch kick for us).

But fine, I'll give you that.

So what are we left with?

Feeley can't make clutch kicks, Folk can't make kicks.

Ok, so allegedly Feeley can't make clutch kicks (even though he actually made almost every clutch kick for us).

But fine, I'll give you that.

So what are we left with?

Feeley can't make clutch kicks, Folk can't make kicks.

Is this Feely vs. Taylor or Feely vs. Folk? You aren't claiming that Feely is the only kicker the team can win with, are you?

Because while you provided 2 examples where you feel he "won us the game"

He did. He is one reason we got to the AFCC.

I provided 3 examples where he directly contributed to losses.

You and he did not. While he wasn't perfect at Indy, we lost mainly cuz our stud RB benched himself over a meaningless bruise - in NYJ's biggest game in over a decade.

And there are plenty of average kickers we can get off the scrap heap to replace him (assuming Folk doesn't work out), some of which do NOT suck at kickoffs.

They just suck at tackling and everything else. Feely ranked 3rd overall in the NFL last year. That's not average. Still, it sounds like your "scrap heap" contains upgrades. Please name one of your recommended replacements.

And to reiterate, the fact that the Dolphins went 1-15 with Feely shows kickers are relatively inconsequential to whether his team wins or not.

That only shows in one particular case how a kicker alone couldn't carry his team, or overcompensate for their amount of suckiness. But in other cases, one or two clutch kicks can make or break a contender's playoff hopes, and you can't call that "inconsequential."

You see Feely as the guy who puts up points, as if he's some integral piece to the offensive puzzle.

HE IS. He's relied upon to score points when the offense fails to do better. I repeat, when the offense fails to do better. Think about it.

What you DON'T see is how any ordinary kicker can do his job just as well, and that there are NOT that many guys like Taylor who can rush the passer and keep points OFF the board for the opponent.

See (2) and (4) above. What you fail to compute is that games are won by scoring more points than your opponent, not more sacks. Sacks only factor as potential contributors toward winning a game, and such scenarios (like yours above) are purely hypothetical. However, you can win a game 1FG-0, but you can't win by 1 sack to nothing.

Getting Taylor was a big reason we weren't forced to draft a pass-rushing DE/OLB and instead were able to improve our secondary and offensive line.

Rex would've used our 1st on Wilson no matter what. Taylor has underlying issues, and he and the picks are all unproven, particularly Ducasse at replacing Faneca. You can't say with any amount of certainty that we improved upon anything at this point. We already drafted our DE sack machine of the future, and though he hasn't produced dick, it was unlikely we'd draft another this year.

One thing we do know: Feely might not be one of Rex's guys, but he was solid all season, and to date we haven't found a replacement, and the market is thin.

Holy sh!t, Mrs. Feely, Jay found a new team. It's all gonna be okay.

They just suck at tackling and everything else. Feely ranked 3rd overall in the NFL last year. That's not average. Still, it sounds like your "scrap heap" contains upgrades. Please name one of your recommended replacements.

Jay Feely, himself, was on the scrap heap when the Jets picked him up after the first week of the season in 2008. There are always kickers there.

And tackling? Really? I know this is where the folk hero stuff with him comes from, but I'd prefer a kicker to kickoff well enough to prevent big returns. High, deep KO's that allow the coverage to get in place. Feely was in the bottom quarter of the league last year in return average.

Any Jet kicker would've ranked right around that same spot in FG's, too. It has a lot to do with the number of attempts the offense gives him. Are you trying to suggest that Feely's a better kicker than a guy like Janikowski who was ranked 10th? I mean, c'mon!

And at this point, we're getting decent reports on Folk. The guy might work out after all.

What you fail to compute is that games are won by scoring more points than your opponent, not more sacks. Sacks only factor as potential contributors toward winning a game, and such scenarios (like yours above) are purely hypothetical. However, you can win a game 1FG-0, but you can't win by 1 sack to nothing.

I can barely suppress an audible groan here. If you love kicking so much, you should become a soccer fan.

Plug any kicker into Jay Feely's spot, and he's going to hit a minimum of 75% of his tries. Plug any OLB into Taylor's spot, and he's unlikely to come as close to matching his performance pressuring/sacking the QB. Especially at the salary level that JT's earning here. I can't express how much I hate the guy, but he makes the league's #1 dee better.

Last year, that bastard Taylor strip-sacked our QB, picked up the fumble, and scored a TD. You can win a game 6-0, too.

Sacks are game changing plays that come from guys you can't just plug and play with. FG's are the opposite. Your offense gets to the 25 yard line and stalls, there are 50 guys out of work who can make that kick for you.

He did. He is one reason we got to the AFCC.

You're giving him WAY too much credit here.

You and he did not. While he wasn't perfect at Indy, we lost mainly cuz our stud RB benched himself over a meaningless bruise - in NYJ's biggest game in over a decade.

So he took us to the AFC Title game, but didn't lose the Indy game for us by missing 2 FG's? Can't have it both ways.

Nick Folk. He was a top-3 kicker in 2008, and just went 7-7 in OTA's, including two 52-yarders. Seriously, are we still talking about the most interchangable position on the field?

That only shows in one particular case how a kicker alone couldn't carry his team, or overcompensate for their amount of suckiness. But in other cases, one or two clutch kicks can make or break a contender's playoff hopes, and you can't call that "inconsequential."

Exactly my point. One or 2 clutch kicks can make or break a contender. Just like last year, when Feely missed 2 important, makeable kicks against Indy to help blow our Super Bowl chances.

HE IS. He's relied upon to score points when the offense fails to do better. I repeat, when the offense fails to do better. Think about it.

And no one else in the league can do this job? I have thought about it, and have decided you must be Jay Feely's brother.

See (2) and (4) above. What you fail to compute is that games are won by scoring more points than your opponent, not more sacks. Sacks only factor as potential contributors toward winning a game, and such scenarios (like yours above) are purely hypothetical. However, you can win a game 1FG-0, but you can't win by 1 sack to nothing.

This point makes it sound like our 2 options were: A) Jay Feely, or B) Jason Taylor and no kicker whatsoever.

I like our chances better with Folk AND some more sacks than I do with just Feely.

Rex would've used our 1st on Wilson no matter what. Taylor has underlying issues, and he and the picks are all unproven, particularly Ducasse at replacing Faneca. You can't say with any amount of certainty that we improved upon anything at this point. We already drafted our DE sack machine of the future, and though he hasn't produced dick, it was unlikely we'd draft another this year.

We were actually targeting Ducasse at 29, but I get that we weren't going to use our 1st on a DE/OLB, especially since there were none with good value at 29. That doesn't mean we had zero plans to address the position this offseason. Calvin Pace, Vernon Gholston, Mike DeVito and Bryan Thomas was not an adequate corps of pass rushers. Adding Taylor into the mix, at least for 2010, solidified the position.

I believe we will be taking a DE/OLB early in the 2011 draft, with Taylor and probably Thomas possibly heading out the door.

One thing we do know: Feely might not be one of Rex's guys, but he was solid all season, and to date we haven't found a replacement, and the market is thin.

Nick Folk.

He kept us in others.

Are you for real here? Week 2 our D and the crowd flustered Brady into consecutive delay of game penalties on one series, and had him on the run most of the game. The D also had a couple of great stops inside the 20. Feely made 3 chip shots because our offense stalled inside the 20 twice and just outside the 3rd time. And are you really counting extra points as part of "winning the game"?

As for the Buffalo game, don't mention the fact that we ran for 250 yards or anything, or that our D played lights out again. He made one longish field goal and 3 chip shots in a dome, so he's definitely God.

Also, if you want to make the kicker the center of the universe,as you are doing here, Feely technically lost us the first Buffalo game then. He missed a 44 yarder going into the half and those 3 points would have forced Buffalo to score 2 TD's instead of a TD and a FG to tie. (Yes I realize Sanchez' five INT's are the main factor in that loss)

The way your posts read, you didn't even actually watch these games. You just went to a box score and dug up some numbers and told a totally different story then what actually happened.

Holy sh!t, Mrs. Feely, Jay found a new team. It's all gonna be okay.

Jay Feely, himself, was on the scrap heap when the Jets picked him up after the first week of the season in 2008. There are always kickers there.

And tackling? Really? I know this is where the folk hero stuff with him comes from, but I'd prefer a kicker to kickoff well enough to prevent big returns. High, deep KO's that allow the coverage to get in place. Feely was in the bottom quarter of the league last year in return average.

Any Jet kicker would've ranked right around that same spot in FG's, too. It has a lot to do with the number of attempts the offense gives him. Are you trying to suggest that Feely's a better kicker than a guy like Janikowski who was ranked 10th? I mean, c'mon!

And at this point, we're getting decent reports on Folk. The guy might work out after all.

I can barely suppress an audible groan here. If you love kicking so much, you should become a soccer fan.

Plug any kicker into Jay Feely's spot, and he's going to hit a minimum of 75% of his tries. Plug any OLB into Taylor's spot, and he's unlikely to come as close to matching his performance pressuring/sacking the QB. Especially at the salary level that JT's earning here. I can't express how much I hate the guy, but he makes the league's #1 dee better.

Last year, that bastard Taylor strip-sacked our QB, picked up the fumble, and scored a TD. You can win a game 6-0, too.

Sacks are game changing plays that come from guys you can't just plug and play with. FG's are the opposite. Your offense gets to the 25 yard line and stalls, there are 50 guys out of work who can make that kick for you.

I wanted to rep you for that first line alone, but stupid JN wouldn't let me. But other than that, spot on with the entire post.

Who rated Feely 3rd in the NFL?

FWIW, Taylor plays a much more important postion and I've seen his 2009 season rated as high as 8th for 3-4 OLBs.

I don't see how you come up with this "Jay Feely cannot be replaced" bull****. The guy is on his fifth team. The last two teams that dumped him were the Giants who went from 8-8 to super bowl winners without him and the Dolphins who went from 1-15 with him to 11-5 without. Either you are grossly overrating Feely or you are grossly overrating the importance of kickers in general.

I don't see how you come up with this "Jay Feely cannot be replaced" bull****. The guy has been on his fifth team. The last two teams that dumped him were the Giants who went from 8-8 to super bowl winners without him and the Dolphins who went from 1-15 with him to 11-5 without. Either you are grossly overrating Feely or you are grossly overrating the importance of kickers in general.

Haha! Perfect.

Who are you?

Youre making way too much sense but please post more often.

Feely was a Rex guy.

According to him, Rex was very disappointed to lose him, but Feely explained the money wasnt right.

A decent kicker-of which there are many-is nearly automatic when the team gets to the 30 yad line-that is, a 47 yard kick. Unless weather conditions are very bad.

In the dome, you extend that another 5 yards.

This is not for an outstanding kicker, mind you, just a decent one. Saying that Feeley "won" us the game because he made routine kicks that many kickers who were cut could also make is not saying much.

And his kickoffs suck.

Archived