Logan Mankins Demands Trade

JustInFudge

Didnt see this posted, but thought maybe we'd want to talk about how the ship is sinking...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/06/patriots-pro-bowl-g-logan-mankins-demands-trade-rejects-signing-contract-offer/1

New England Patriots Pro Bowl guard Logan Mankins demanded a trade on Monday when he said he would refuse to sign the team's contract tender by the midnight deadline.

Mankins told ESPN:

"At this point, I'm pretty frustrated, from everything that's happened and the way negotiations have gone. I want to be traded. I don't need to be here any more."

Mankins is a restricted free agent who must sign the $3.26 million tender by midnight Monday or risk the Patriots reduce his offer to 110% of his 2009 salary (which would be about $1.54 million).

He flatly rejected the possibility of meeting the Monday deadline:

"There is no way that I'm signing that thing."

Coming off his second Pro Bowl appearance in three seasons, Mankins said he has been seeking a long-term deal since the end of the 2008 season.

Mankins' contract status is tied into the uncertainty around the league's expiring CBA. Restricted free agents like Mankins are in limbo with teams unwilling to sign them to extended deals without knowing what economic system a new CBA will create.

The Pro Bowler said he feels betrayed by the Patriots, who he claims have not followed through on a commitment to address a long-term deal:

"After the 2008 season, me and my agent approached the Patriots about an extension and I was told that Mr. Kraft did not want to do an extension because of the (CBA). I was asked to play '09 out, and that they would address contract after the uncapped year. I'm a team player, I took them at word, and I felt I played out an undervalued contract.

"That's the big thing. Right now, this is about principle with me and keeping your word and how you treat people. This is what I thought the foundation of the Patriots was built on. Apparently, I was wrong. Growing up, I was taught a man's word is his bond. Obviously this isn't the case with the Patriots."

-- Sean Leahy

He turned down a five year deal averaging 7 mil a year. I say see yah and hope we get a good draft pick as compensation. This is what happens when players think they are bigger than the team and make a couple of pro bowls. You'll see.

He turned down a five year deal averaging 7 mil a year. I say see yah and hope we get a good draft pick as compensation. This is what happens when players think they are bigger than the team and make a couple of pro bowls. You'll see.

By this logic the Patriots should let Brady walk, too. I mean, he's not bigger than the team correct?

[insert smug "I know more than you lowly Jets fans" comment from Garb]

I have the Pats as AFCE favorites by a tiny margin. But w/ no Mankins, and no consitent RB to run the ball and keep the heat off of Brady, that changes things. Moss is a year older, Welker w/ the ACL, Jets and Fins nipping at thier heels. Go ahead, send another Pro-Bowler packing if you want, but I dont think the Pats have that luxury anymore.

C'mon, can't people read between the lines? Bob Kraft can't pay Mankins (or Brady or Moss or Faulk or Light) because Woody Johnson hasn't sold all his PSL's yet, resulting in cash flow problems. That is the most logical reason why good players aren't re-signed. I read it here so it must be so.

By this logic the Patriots should let Brady walk, too. I mean, he's not bigger than the team correct?

[insert smug "I know more than you lowly Jets fans" comment from Garb]

Brady pretty much IS the team though. You can't pay everyone top dollar. Brady needs a new contract. I'm paying Brady and Wilfork prime cash before I make Mankins the highest paid guard in the league. Sometime you got to pick and choose your battles. That is my opinion atop my high horse. ;)

I have the Pats as AFCE favorites by a tiny margin. But w/ no Mankins, and no consitent RB to run the ball and keep the heat off of Brady, that changes things. Moss is a year older, Welker w/ the ACL, Jets and Fins nipping at thier heels. Go ahead, send another Pro-Bowler packing if you want, but I dont think the Pats have that luxury anymore.

Ronnie Brown is unsigned as well, correct? And, what run game are you talking about? Pats have a run game? Who knew!

C'mon, can't people read between the lines? Bob Kraft can't pay Mankins (or Brady or Moss or Faulk or Light) because Woody Johnson hasn't sold all his PSL's yet, resulting in cash flow problems. That is the most logical reason why good players aren't re-signed. I read it here so it must be so.

There could be some truth to that. Woody got the NJ Super Bowl to pass with Kraft's vote. Kraft lobbied for it publicly because Woody promised to pay him. Woody is going to pay Kraft but he is having cash flow problems at the moment until PSL sales pick up.

Once that happens, Kraft gets his money and Mankins and Brady get paid.

:winking0001:

Didnt see this posted, but thought maybe we'd want to talk about how the ship is sinking...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/06/patriots-pro-bowl-g-logan-mankins-demands-trade-rejects-signing-contract-offer/1

New England Patriots Pro Bowl guard Logan Mankins demanded a trade on Monday when he said he would refuse to sign the team's contract tender by the midnight deadline.

Mankins told ESPN:

"At this point, I'm pretty frustrated, from everything that's happened and the way negotiations have gone. I want to be traded. I don't need to be here any more."

Mankins is a restricted free agent who must sign the $3.26 million tender by midnight Monday or risk the Patriots reduce his offer to 110% of his 2009 salary (which would be about $1.54 million).

He flatly rejected the possibility of meeting the Monday deadline:

"There is no way that I'm signing that thing."

Coming off his second Pro Bowl appearance in three seasons, Mankins said he has been seeking a long-term deal since the end of the 2008 season.

Mankins' contract status is tied into the uncertainty around the league's expiring CBA. Restricted free agents like Mankins are in limbo with teams unwilling to sign them to extended deals without knowing what economic system a new CBA will create.

The Pro Bowler said he feels betrayed by the Patriots, who he claims have not followed through on a commitment to address a long-term deal:

"After the 2008 season, me and my agent approached the Patriots about an extension and I was told that Mr. Kraft did not want to do an extension because of the (CBA). I was asked to play '09 out, and that they would address contract after the uncapped year. I'm a team player, I took them at word, and I felt I played out an undervalued contract.

"That's the big thing. Right now, this is about principle with me and keeping your word and how you treat people. This is what I thought the foundation of the Patriots was built on. Apparently, I was wrong. Growing up, I was taught a man's word is his bond. Obviously this isn't the case with the Patriots."

-- Sean Leahy

I would love to see the Pats get blasted for the way they do business like the way I see Revis get blasted simply for trying to get paid.

How many times have I heard that a player took a GM at their word and when that time came they didnt address anything? I guess Revis is supposed to do the same.

I guess with all the camera equipment the Pats had to pay for during their corrupt SB dynasty there's not enough money to pay Mankins.

Ronnie Brown is unsigned as well, correct? And, what run game are you talking about? Pats have a run game? Who knew!

Havent had a great run game since Dillon left, but you didnt need one b/c your defense and passing game was so good. Those days are over Im happy to say. At least I hope so.

we already are seeing. i think the nfl should come out and put a hold on all contract negotiations till they get this cba talk all settled. I can understand the owners not wanting to commit anything while this is going on.

Havent had a great run game since Dillon left, but you didnt need one b/c your defense and passing game was so good. Those days are over Im happy to say. At least I hope so.

The Pats scored more points than the Colts last season. Brady had the 2nd best season of his career.

The Pats have always had depth on the O line. Maybe not a guy as good as Mankins, but good enough to get the job done.

The Pats scored more points than the Colts last season. Brady had the 2nd best season of his career.

The Pats have always had depth on the O line. Maybe not a guy as good as Mankins, but good enough to get the job done.

Statistically maybe. I sincerely doubt that Tom Brady would agree with your opinion that it was his second best season.

I'd like to know how much guaranteed money was included.

It sure seems crazy that Mankins would scoff at that kind of moolah, but the deal may sound better than it actually is.

Statistically maybe. I sincerely doubt that Tom Brady would agree with your opinion that it was his second best season.

The whole point is that his career is on the upswing.

Everyone predicting doom for the NE offense is going to be sadly disappointed.

It sure seems crazy that Mankins would scoff at that kind of moolah, but the deal may sound better than it actually is.

Even if it's every bit as good as it sounds it's still obviously too low. Unless the Patriots think Woody's as crazy as the Jets think Al is.

Very little, I bet. Not sure how much guaranted money I would include with an uncertain 2011/possible lockout looming, Brady needing to be resigned and lots of cash sent Vince's way. Logan can be replaced. Sure, it won't be a two time pro-bowler, but it will be someone adequate. Always is.

There are currently 15 or so NFL players in Mankins' situation. I have zero sympathy for them. Sorry. In this economic climate, it's awfully hard to feel bad for someone who is offered 7 million a year. I get the fact that Mankin's career will probably be a 13 year one? That's thirteen years of trying to maximize your earning potential so you can retire, enjoy the kids and live on a farm in east bum eff wherever. I get it. Good for him. Enjoy playing in KC.

Generally speaking, we all root for the laundry, not the player. Football is a business.

doom, no. but pats will have their hands full with the jets this year. their defense has become a liability and we have three first round CBs and you have no running game. should be interesting.

Not really. He pretty much reverted to the mean for his career last year. From '02 to '06 Brady was remarkably consistent - always throwing between 23 and 28 TDs and between 12 and 14 INTs. Last year Brady threw 28 TD and 13 INT.

'07 was an abberation. He ain't ever coming close to those numbers again. Brady's gonna be 33 on opening day. He probably has 2-3 years left at the same level he played last year and he might be capable of a little bit better. But to expect significant improvement at this point in his career would be completely homerriffic.

Not really. He pretty much reverted to the mean for his career last year. From '02 to '06 Brady was remarkably consistent - always throwing between 23 and 28 TDs and between 12 and 14 INTs. Last year Brady threw 28 TD and 13 INT.

'07 was an abberation. He ain't ever coming close to those numbers again. Brady's gonna be 33 on opening day. He probably has 2-3 years left at the same level he played last year and he might be capable of a little bit better. But to expect significant improvement at this point in his career would be completely homerriffic.

Yes really.

If you charted Bradys numbers on graph by year, its plain and clear to see his career is in a upward trend. 2010 will be better than 2009. Brady has more receiving weapons and is fully recovered from surgery.

doom, no. but pats will have their hands full with the jets this year. their defense has become a liability and we have three first round CBs and you have no running game. should be interesting.

The Jets will be 0 - 2 after they play NE.

Should be interesting :tongue:

Yes really.

If you charted Bradys numbers on graph by year, its plain and clear to see his career is in a upward trend. 2010 will be better than 2009. Brady has more receiving weapons and is fully recovered from surgery.

:face:

He's 33 years old. He may throw a couple more TDs than last year, but that doesn't mean he is still trending upwards. The best you can realistically hope for is consistency. If Brady has 2-3 more years like last year you should be happy. If he does it 4-5 more times you should do backflips because he'd be confounding expectations. Don't expect much more than last year's totals.

In fact, Brady is at the age where Favre turned into an interception machine. With the exception of 98 and 99, Favre generally threw about 15-16 picks a year, starting in 2003, when he was 33 (the same age Brady will be on opening day,) Favre threw 21, 17, 29 and 18 picks over the next four years. Could it be that, like the current Pats, the Packers had no running game to speak of and a horrible defense? Hmmm. Interesting.

I blame Kraft's money problems on his shopping mall at Foxboro- Patriot Place. Just not getting the ROI he thought he would.

Archived