Jets unveil Ring of Honor

Greenranger

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the future guys like Larry Grantham, Marvin Powell, Mark Gastineau, Wesley Walker, Freeman McNeil, Marty Lyons, Abdul Salaam, Ken O'Brien, Al Toon, Wayne Chrebet, and Mo Lewis should be added, but I thought this was a good start. Can't wait though until Favre get put in.:D

In the future guys like Larry Grantham, Marvin Powell, Mark Gastineau, Wesley Walker, Freeman McNeil, Marty Lyons, Abdul Salaam, Ken O'Brien, Al Toon, Wayne Chrebet, and Mo Lewis should be added, but I thought this was a good start. Can't wait though until Favre get put in.:D

Favre never was a jet he wont get in.

nothing against Toon, but Curtis is a first ballot Hall of Famer, why would he go in after Al Toon?

Exactly. I honestly think Curtis was the best player to ever play for the Jets. And unlike the egotistical Joe Namath, Martin never talked trash or paraded around with the media. He is one of the most classiest players ever, and I hope that when he finally buys his NFL team, that it's the Jets.

I don't think they should retire #80 but they should create a "Circle of Honor" or "Jets Hall of Fame" in their stadium like some other teams do to honor their all-time great franchise guys.

Jets who I believe should be included in the COH or Jets HOF are:

Joe Namath

Don Maynard

Weeb Ewbank

Freeman McNeil

Joe Klecko

Mark Gastinieau

Marvin Powell

Winston Hill

Curtis Martin

Wesley Walker

Wayne Chrebet

Mickey Shuler

Kevin Mawae

Randy Rasmussen

John Elliott

Gerry Philbin

Larry Grantham

Mo Lewis

I'm sure there are a few others I've missed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suggested this "Ring of Honor" idea a few weeks ago in the "Should the Jets retire #80" thread above. Glad the Jets are listening. ;)

I think the initial 6 "Ring of Honor" inductees is a good start.

Don't think O'Brien belongs in the Ring ... Good player, not an all-time great Jet.

If they did 1 per year, Larry Grantham should be next.

Just my opinion.

Exactly. I honestly think Curtis was the best player to ever play for the Jets. And unlike the egotistical Joe Namath, Martin never talked trash or paraded around with the media. He is one of the most classiest players ever, and I hope that when he finally buys his NFL team, that it's the Jets.

Be careful...around these parts he's known as a selfish stat compiler.

Curtis Martin was a a great player, a classy guy, and a future HOF'er.

That said, I don't think he's the best player to ever play for the Jets. To say that, I think you have to be the best player at your position during the time you played, and I don't think Martin was EVER the best back in the league during his tenure with the Jets.

Namath was the best player at his position for about a 5 year stretch.

Maynard was, as well.

So was Klecko.

It has to be one of those three in my opinion.

By the way...

Namath never paraded around with the media.

In fact, during his playing days, it was quite the opposite, as his relationship with many of the beat writers that followed the Jets was not great because he was not the most accessible or cooperative player to them.

There were many times that he didn't even give interviews after games, which pissed alot of the media off.

Curtis Martin was a a great player, a classy guy, and a future HOF'er.

That said, I don't think he's the best player to ever play for the Jets. To say that, I think you have to be the best player at your position during the time you played, and I don't think Martin was EVER the best back in the league during his tenure with the Jets.

2004 he was arguably the best. Rushing title with 1697 yards, 12 rushing TDs, and only 2 fumbles.

2004 he was arguably the best. Rushing title with 1697 yards, 12 rushing TDs, and only 2 fumbles.

Arguably, yes. He had a great season that year.

Some might say Shaun Alexander had a better year ... more TD's and more yards per attempt. But it's close.

I guess my point is that Curtis was never considered the clear cut best player at his position like the other guys I named.

Namath was widely regarded as the best quarterback in the game for pretty much a 5 or 6 year stretch.

To me, he's still the best player the Jets have ever had.

Just my opinion.

However, I still respect yours. I agree Martin was a great player.

why not do this ceremony during the first regular season game where the crowd will be fired up?

I just put this on the front page and although I didn't mention it I was thinking the same thing. http://www.jetnation.com/2010/07/ny-jets-ring-of-honor/

Also, a flyover during a pre-season game? Really? I thought of you Tyson years ago talking about how Chrebet got a picture of a flyover instead of a real one.

Arguably, yes. He had a great season that year.

Some might say Shaun Alexander had a better year ... more TD's and more yards per attempt. But it's close.

I guess my point is that Curtis was never considered the clear cut best player at his position like the other guys I named.

Namath was widely regarded as the best quarterback in the game for pretty much a 5 or 6 year stretch.

To me, he's still the best player the Jets have ever had.

Just my opinion.

However, I still respect yours. I agree Martin was a great player.

Martin was a great player, but NOBODY thought Martin had a better year than Alexander. Holmgren gives Alexander one more carry and even Jets fans wouldn't try to argue that. Martin gained 1 more yard in 18 more carries and Alexander had 4 more rushing TDs and and 6 more overall. Tomlinson had a ****ty ypc that year, but he had 5 more rushing TDs and 4 more total than Martin.

No love for Kyle Clifton? He's a good guy! And played a hell of a long time for the Jets.

Agreed. Kyle Clifton is not somebody that should be mentioned in the same breath as HOF, but he deserves recognition for consistency, durability and effort over a long period. Same can be said for Randy Rasmussen who probably played at a higher level.

I honestly think Curtis was the best player to ever play for the Jets. .

:rl:

Getting the most carries does not, by definition, make someone the best player. 5 of his 8 seasons with the Jets at or below the league average in ypc despite all the good OL's he played behind. And no one outside NYJ fans considered him the best RB in football in any NFL season. Yet each of his two megadeals with the Jets had (at the time) made him the highest paid RB in football history.

He may have had the highest total yards and a decidedly long career for a RB, but to say that Curtis Martin was the best player the Jets have ever had at any position is ridiculous. He was a solid player for a long time but was hardly the playmaker or game-changer someone called the best at anything should be. Particularly against the best opponents that separate the great ones from the very good ones.

You have one game the Jets MUST win against a great rush defense. You're really going to desire that the Jets RB is Curtis Martin? Most likely outcome = 15-20 carries for 50-60 yards (with 20+ coming on a few 3rd and long draw plays against 6-DB defenses where we still punt anyway).

Be careful...around these parts he's known as a selfish stat compiler.

You deny that he ever was? He reminded me of Cal Ripken and his most-selfish of all sports records. I'm injured. I'm not helping as much as someone who isn't injured. But I'm playing anyway because my fool of a coach lets me dictate my own playing time. My streak is more important than my team's wins.

He'll get into the HOF and if guys like Art Monk are in you can hardly keep Curtis Martin out. But he wasn't a super-great RB or in the same class of player as Brown or Campbell or Simpson or others cut from that cloth simply because he finished his career with more carries than they did.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suggested this "Ring of Honor" idea a few weeks ago in the "Should the Jets retire #80" thread above. Glad the Jets are listening. ;)

I think the initial 6 "Ring of Honor" inductees is a good start.

Don't think O'Brien belongs in the Ring ... Good player, not an all-time great Jet.

If they did 1 per year, Larry Grantham should be next.

Just my opinion.

How about Lance Mehl and George Sauer Jr.?

Archived