Revis wants to retire as a New York Jet

Jetfan13

New York Jets star cornerback Darrelle Revis said Wednesday he still wants to retire a Jet -- if they want him according to Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com.

"That's always been my goal," Revis said during an Internet chat with fans on the NFL Players' Association website. "When they drafted me, I told them this is one of the biggest things they did, and I won't let them down. From the business side, they make the choices. They know my heart is with the Jets and Jersey and New York City. I'm here as long as I can be. If they give me the ability to have a choice, I'll stay here as a Jet."

"My contract situation is different from me being the best," he said. "I believe that I'm the best. The only thing that I can control is how hard I work in the offseason. I'm a laid-back guy. I try and stay positive and make sure things in my life go that way."

New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis says on live chat he intends to continue career in New York

BY Kevin Armstrong

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, July 22nd 2010, 4:00 AM

alg_revis_laughs.jpg Simmons/News

New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis maintains he wants to continue playing for the Jets, but with contract negotiations still stalled, he may not arrive time for the start of training camp.

before the Jets open training camp in upstate Cortland, cornerback Darrelle Revis, who is currently in contract negotiations, reiterated Wednesday that his intention is to remain with the organization far into the future.

"They know my heart is with the Jets and the New York/New Jersey area. I'm here as long as I can be," he said in a live chat on NFLPlayers.com. "If they give me the ability to have a choice, I'll stay here as a Jet."

On Monday, ESPN.com reported that the Jets, who approached Revis earlier in the offseason about re-doing his three-year, $21 million contract, are being hamstrung by the little known "reallocation rule." The clause in the collective bargaining agreement states that when creating a contract extension in an uncapped year, future guarantees against skill and injury must fit under the team's 2009 salary cap.

To clear that hurdle, though, the team can offer the All-Pro cornerback a substantial signing bonus and defer the payments for five years or longer.

If strapped for cash, the team and player can schedule payments to offer short-term relief.

"When they drafted me, I told them this is one of the biggest things they did, and I won't let them down," Revis said. "From the business side, they make the choices."

Revis, 25, remains noncommittal to arriving on time for camp on July 31.

Having stated publicly that he should be the NFL's highest-paid cornerback, the former first-round draft pick who is entering his fourth year has deferred questions about the contract negotiations to his agent, Neil Schwartz.

Last season, Revis recorded 54 tackles and intercepted six passes as he anchored a defense that led the Jets to the AFC Championship Game.

No, Revis wants to retire as rich as possible. It's funny though, Matt is so right when laughing at you guys. You'll celebrate like everyone else when he's picking off Chad Henne and Tom Brady and love him in the moment. He's the best player we have and probably the most dominant player we've EVER had. To curse him now because he wants to get paid what he would get paid on another team is stupid. He likes the Jets, that's probably true but loyalty barely ever comes out in sports. It's about money - For Revis, for Leon, for Mangold - Money talks.

He's a great player, one of my favorite Jets because regardless of the issues that surround him in this off-season, he brings it on the field. That's one thing you can't take away from him.

Revis, you do have a choice to take $10-12 million a year (and not cripple the team) as opposed to $16-17 million.

Oh but wait, how would he feed his family?

I only feed my children Velociraptor eggs for breakfast. Trust me, it gets expensive.

i dont post often.. only when i feel the need to... but how many of u have played football over the high school level if at all?

if u have u should kno no one man is greater than the team and no one man makes the team.. my college team had important guys go down but the next guy has to step in, we didnt lose the season cuz we lost a guy...

yeah revis wants his money but not at the expense of the team.. he could be one of the greatest football players of all time but ask dan marino that doesnt make u a champion, a team does.. i love revis, but dont cripple the future..

Revis, you do have a choice to take $10-12 million a year (and not cripple the team) as opposed to $16-17 million.

The team has to spend your PSL money somewhere. Might as well be on their best player. :mrgreen:

i dont post often.. only when i feel the need to... but how many of u have played football over the high school level if at all?

if u have u should kno no one man is greater than the team and no one man makes the team.. my college team had important guys go down but the next guy has to step in, we didnt lose the season cuz we lost a guy...

yeah revis wants his money but not at the expense of the team.. he could be one of the greatest football players of all time but ask dan marino that doesnt make u a champion, a team does.. i love revis, but dont cripple the future..

Well, maybe you should post more often because this post is spot on.

:cheers:

Revis as great of a season as he had, still was part of a 9-7 team who barely squeaked into the playoffs. If Revis had that season and we actually won something...I'd say he'd have a case that I could support. There are no trophies for 2nd place in the AFCE and losing the AFC Champ game.

For the amount of money Revis is looking to get he could solve the hunger crisis in Ethiopia.

So I think his family should be okay.

Seriously though he could, Ethiopia's population is roughly 80 million, so if he gets his 100 million dollar contract he could give each resident a million and still have 20 mill for his family. ( I know there's taxes, just sayin)

True, plus if he continues to be a shutdown corner, he can make up that money off the field IMO.

wutangdevisityBOX.jpg

No, Revis wants to retire as rich as possible. It's funny though, Matt is so right when laughing at you guys. You'll celebrate like everyone else when he's picking off Chad Henne and Tom Brady and love him in the moment. He's the best player we have and probably the most dominant player we've EVER had. To curse him now because he wants to get paid what he would get paid on another team is stupid. He likes the Jets, that's probably true but loyalty barely ever comes out in sports. It's about money - For Revis, for Leon, for Mangold - Money talks.

He's a great player, one of my favorite Jets because regardless of the issues that surround him in this off-season, he brings it on the field. That's one thing you can't take away from him.

of course we'll cheer him when he picks off henne. no one is disputing that he is the best. but in a league where the salary cap will soon return you cannot blow your wad on any one guy not named peyton manning no matter how good they are. even peyton manning has a value - everyone does. is revis worth 13.33% of our salary cap, or more when/if the cap goes down, when you have to spread it amongst 53 guys?

it's not a question of skill or greatness - revis is the best - it's a question of whether it's a smart allocation of limited resources to give him what he wants.

:cheers:

http://jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67406

This is all PR nonsense by Revis' camp.

Funny how whenever a player gets into a contract squabble with a team he publicly professes his love for the team and says he wants to be there forever but would be willing to sign with another team at a moment's notice.

Further, it's interesting that Revis's camp leaks stories last week/2weeks about him holding out and not worrying about the loss of guaranteed money, then the Jets leak the "reallocation problem" story (which makes the Jets look good), and now Revis says he wants to retire a Jet.

All PR nonsense. Every last bit of it.

For the amount of money Revis is looking to get he could solve the hunger crisis in Ethiopia.

So I think his family should be okay.

Seriously though he could, Ethiopia's population is roughly 80 million, so if he gets his 100 million dollar contract he could give each resident a million and still have 20 mill for his family. ( I know there's taxes, just sayin)

No..by your logic he would be giving each resident $1.

Only Jets fas would hate on the best player this organization has had since Namath.

+1

revis deserves to be paid, like the best, because he is the best.

without him... 9-7 becomes 6-10. he's worth at least 3 wins in and of himself, and that's maybe being too conservative.

here's a question what is a winning season worth to the NYJ? How much money do they make with a playoff run? if the 2010 Jets really are super bowl bound, what is that worth?

add it all up and give Revis market value.

+1

without him... 9-7 becomes 6-10. he's worth at least 3 wins in and of himself, and that's maybe being too conservative.

here's a question what is a winning season worth to the NYJ? How much money do they make with a playoff run? if the 2010 Jets really are super bowl bound, what is that worth?

I strongly disagree with everything that you say.

No man is worth the future of an organization. At his asking price, that's what he'll cost. It's very simple.

+1

He's not looking for market value..he's looking for Al Davis value..two entirely different things.

No man is worth the future of an organization. At his asking price, that's what he'll cost. It's very simple.

considering that there's no cap, that statement makes no sense. the future is now. the problem here is Wood man lost his checkbook. they could give him a massive bonus and the cap hit would be null.

He's not looking for market value..he's looking for Al Davis value..two entirely different things.

ok so aso made 16 mil. Samuel and robinson make 10 mil. Revis is closer to Aso than Dunta Robinson. I think if they offered him 13 or 14 he'd take it. they aren't even close to that. they are offering him non-guaranteed Dunta money.

considering that there's no cap, that statement makes no sense. the future is now. the problem here is Wood man lost his checkbook. they could give him a massive bonus and the cap hit would be null.

I'm not talking about this year. I'm talking about the next 10.

You wanna give him the money this year, fine. But be prepared to do this again next year.

And for every other player that has a big year, every year thereafter.

Revis has taken major steps the last few days to appeal to the fans. I think he knows he's beginning to be portrayed as a diva.

Unfairly.

It's amazing to me how quickly fans want to side with the fan-friendly, generous, team-first billionaire owners putting a few of their dollars on the line, over the greedy, selfish, me-first millionaire players putting their bodies on the line.

Really f^cking boggles my mind.

I'm not talking about this year. I'm talking about the next 10.

You wanna give him the money this year, fine. But be prepared to do this again next year.

And for every other player that has a big year, every year thereafter.

Yeah. I support players but in the end I root for the jersey not the player. I don't want to see the Jets in cap hell and as another laughing stock because they took care of a player after their one year. Or even a few years. CuMart wasn't the best statistically but was consistent as hell, and pretty much killed the Jets. Pennington of course did so as well. Those were dark days.

I love the CB spot, but you just can't break the bank for that position. Revis had possibly the greatest season for a CB ever, doesn't even win DPOTY, the team goes 9-7, and even spotted a lead after the first half the Jets can't win the AFCC game. And that's with, arguably the best defensive coaching staff in football and the best defense around him. By quite a bit actually.

Plus this dude has 3 years left on his contract. If you sign him for big money again for 6 years, what stops him from in 3 years complaining again and demanding more money after he uses up the signing bonus? We all know players like to pretend the signing bonus does not extend over to their current year and only count their base salary for that year.

I'd worry more after we at least have the cap back and the collective bargaining agreement is in place. If the salary cap drops by the expected percentage, and after Aso's contract is up, Revis will probably be getting about 50% more than the next best player at his position. He just isn't worth that.

People also have such short memories. Before Aso, Champ Bailey had what people considered the best year by a CB ever, when he had 10 INTs and gave up 0 TDs on the year. I'd have to check the stats, I'm sure he gave up some yardage here and there, but in pure INTs and TDs that beats Revis.

The statement makes absolute sense. Your statement, however, makes none.

It's simply ONE YEAR without a cap. Any deal the Jets make with Revis will have salary cap reprecussions in the following years.

So ABSOLUTELY a deal with Revis could jeapordize the Jets future. What? You think the Jets should sign him to a 1 yr $16 million deal? How does that make any sense to the Jets???

Archived