Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

Revis has a 10yr 120 million dollar deal on the table that he has balked at.

Your statement does not hold water.

I think the Jets are on the same page as far as length and total dollar amount. It's the bonus and guarantee money that's holding up this deal. At least I hope that's all it is. <_<

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

everyones putting this 10 year 120 mil deal out there like it's real. We don't know what the Jets offered Revis. We don't know what they offered anyone who hasn't accepted.

Leon washington said they offered him 2 mil per season. the Jets leaked it was 5 mil a year.

Maybe both are lying and the truth is in the middle.

but I don't believe any of these massive offers enough to judge Revis for not accepting. It's all speculation.

Because he looks sooooo sexy in green. Its his best color for sure.

I just think there's shades of gray like BG said. I personally don't think you should vehemently hate him because if he suits up and plays he instantly makes us better. I don't think you should stand behind him because what he's asking for is out of control insane. I'm just tired of the whole thing honestly. I think it's distracting us from how morbid our offense is going to be this year.

I just think there's shades of gray like BG said. I personally don't think you should vehemently hate him because if he suits up and plays he instantly makes us better. I don't think you should stand behind him because what he's asking for is out of control insane. I'm just tired of the whole thing honestly. I think it's distracting us from how morbid our offense is going to be this year.

Honestly, I dont give a **** about either parties. I could careless about Darrelle Mevi$ or Woody Johnson or Mikey T and whatever negotiations they are having.

I care about the NY Jets and the fact we have something I'd consider special on Defense and this arrogant little **** is ruining everything. We can be great without him, but not special.

That what pisses me off. You'd think he'd want to be a part of it.

Honestly, I dont give a **** about either parties. I could careless about Darrelle Mevi$ or Woody Johnson or Mikey T and whatever negotiations they are having.

I care about the NY Jets and the fact we have something I'd consider special on Defense and this arrogant little **** is ruining everything. We can be great without him, but not special.

I share those sentiments exactly.

Can't help but wonder what the hell is going through Mevis's head these days.

I think to some people money is their legacy. Not their actions. It's hard for me to comprehend too, but if he's dressed and ready to play week 1 maybe he does care just enough.

That deal was confirmed by multiple credible sources Bit.

It really hasn't been. More importantly, the structure wasn't confirmed. Revis' people said that the Jets offered no bonus money. A large number deal with no guarantees kicking in until 2011 (like Brick's deal) would be unacceptable to Revis no matter what sort of maximum value they attached to it. He needs a bump in pay this year from his $550K to eight figures, or something like it, to provide him with the security he's looking for.

It really hasn't been. More importantly, the structure wasn't confirmed. Revis' people said that the Jets offered no bonus money. A large number deal with no guarantees kicking in until 2011 (like Brick's deal) would be unacceptable to Revis no matter what sort of maximum value they attached to it. He needs a bump in pay this year from his $550K to eight figures, or something like it, to provide him with the security he's looking for.

I know the structure/guaranteed money was never confirmed John, but, I read from just about every major media outlet that there is that there was/is a 10 year 120 million dollar deal on the table from the Jets, are they all wrong??

And you believe Revis' people why? And how much security does he need? 6 cribs instead of 3?

I know the structure/guaranteed money was never confirmed John, but, I read from just about every major media outlet that there is that there was/is a 10 year 120 million dollar deal on the table from the Jets, are they all wrong??

I honestly don't know. One guy reports it, no one denies or confirms, and then a bunch of other people just take those numbers and run with them?

Neither the Jets nor Revis' camp has confirmed any offers, that's all we really know.

For what it's worth, I don't doubt that an offer like that was made. But the upfront money the Jets gave to D'Brick and Mangold suggests (to me) that bonus money is probably a major holdup with Revis.

I honestly don't know. One guy reports it, no one denies or confirms, and then a bunch of other people just take those numbers and run with them?

Neither the Jets nor Revis' camp has confirmed any offers, that's all we really know.

For what it's worth, I don't doubt that an offer like that was made. But the upfront money the Jets gave to D'Brick and Mangold suggests (to me) that bonus money is probably a major holdup with Revis.

Probably so.

everyones putting this 10 year 120 mil deal out there like it's real. We don't know what the Jets offered Revis. We don't know what they offered anyone who hasn't accepted.

Leon washington said they offered him 2 mil per season. the Jets leaked it was 5 mil a year.

Maybe both are lying and the truth is in the middle.

but I don't believe any of these massive offers enough to judge Revis for not accepting. It's all speculation.

Leon is irrelevant.

Jets didn't want him back. How was that not obvious?

Every year. In fact Mevi$ isn't the only player holding out this year.

You might want to re-read this - this most definitely does not happen every year and I believe it has never happened before when you look at the circumstances.

You have a player (regardless of position) who held out 21 days to sign his rookie deal, 3 years into that 6 year rookie deal he is holding out again (citing that he outperformed his rookie deal) for even more money after rebuffing what, 2 or 3 contract extensions already?

Again, when in NFL history has a situation like this happened before??

A player in the NFL who has 3 years tenure in the league and has held/is holding out twice in a 3 year period??

I might be wrong, but I don't think this has ever happened before in the entire history of the NFL!!

You might want to re-read this - this most definitely does not happen every year and I believe it has never happened before when you look at the circumstances.

You are slicing things too finely. Player is holding out. Doesn't warrant special attention by the league.

But his first hold out brings up an interesting issue.....

1. The Jets knew of his propensity to hold out.

2. The Jets knew who his uncle is.

3. The Jets wanted a contract that would lock up Revis for 6 years on the hope Revis would exceed expectations of his draft spot.

Yet Tanny agrees to a deal that meant unless Revis was a mediocre player and underperformed his draft spot, the Jets would be forced to redo his contract or face a holdout.

So the issue is....why is Tanny not getting reamed by the press and fans for structuring the initial agreement is such a half a$$ way that he effectively only had a three year agreement, that would almost certainly need to be renegotiated after the third year?

3. The Jets wanted a contract that would lock up Revis for 6 years on the hope Revis would exceed expectations of his draft spot.

Yet Tanny agrees to a deal that meant unless Revis was a mediocre player and underperformed his draft spot, the Jets would be forced to redo his contract or face a holdout.

So the issue is....why is Tanny not getting reamed by the press and fans for structuring the initial agreement is such a half a$$ way that he effectively only had a three year agreement, that would almost certainly need to be renegotiated after the third year?

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/89436-mini-camp-tweets-614/page__st__20__p__1607086#entry1607086

There are too many labor issues to have Goodell become personally involved in what is a team matter.

But even if he was to become involved, what could he do? His two methods for dealing with players who misbehave is to fine them and/or suspended them. Mevi$ is already being fined. Not sure what a four game suspension would do if the goal is to get him back on the field.

Niether the team nor Goodell can force Mevi$ to play. That has been true since 1865, when then 13th amendment of the constitution prohibited slavery. The only thing Goodell can do under the constitution is tell Mevi$ that his choices are either play for the Jets or not play in the NFL but he is banned from playing for any of the other 31 NFL team without the Jets express permission. That has already been done.

Arbitration in this case would rule that Mevi$ still has 3 years left on his contract. Once again an arbitrator could not force Mevi$ on to the field, only rule that he is banned from playing football for any team other than the Jets.

What they should do is freeze his contract status for the year he sits out. If he sits out all year, then when he comes back, there is still 3 years left on his contract and the money stays the same.

Archived