Jets | David Harris not expected to get extension

Jetfan13

Scott does a hell of a lot more than run his yap.

And he's not a lesser player to Harris. Anyone who thinks that is just being a homer towards our home grown guy or is easily fooled by the flash stats...yes, Harris is a very good player...no, he's not a major key in the future of this D or Rex's D in general.

The ignored factor in all this Harris love is that it's not uncommon in the Rex Ryan D to have a LB who puts up prettier stats than the others. Usually that guy is closer to leaving the D than being cemented into it...Adalius Thomas...Scott left Baltimore even though he did it to reunite with Rex and lead his new D....Hartwell...It builds value for our FA class and will bring us a better comp pick...

And he's not a lesser player to Harris. Anyone who thinks that is just being a homer towards our home grown guy or is easily fooled by the flash stats...yes, Harris is a very good player...no, he's not a major key in the future of this D or Rex's D in general.

The ignored factor in all this Harris love is that it's not uncommon in the Rex Ryan D to have a LB who puts up prettier stats than the others. Usually that guy is closer to leaving the D than being cemented into it...Adalius Thomas...Scott left Baltimore even though he did it to reunite with Rex and lead his new D....Hartwell...It builds value for our FA class and will bring us a better comp pick...

Isn't it enough to say that Scott and Harris both need each other and complement each other perfectly? Harris sucks at pass coverage but there are few who hit the A-gap better while still handling the run nicely. Bart can handle himself dropping back, also is good versus the run and brings the veteran leadership.

I'd love to keep this ILB duo together if Harris is willing to take a bit less than market value (whatever that might be).

Isn't it enough to say that Scott and Harris both need each other and complement each other perfectly? Harris sucks at pass coverage but there are few who hit the A-gap better while still handling the run nicely. Bart can handle himself dropping back, also is good versus the run and brings the veteran leadership.

I'd love to keep this ILB duo together if Harris is willing to take a bit less than market value (whatever that might be).

Nope...they don't need each other for one...they don't even truly compliment each other all that well since Scott can do what Harris does and Harris is an injury risk if he does what Scott did for us last year.

I'd love to keep the duo together too, but do you know how unlikely that is? Market value is probably around the 6/48 Scott and Ryans got...it kinda ruins the point of having a athletic career to take less money on your big contract, especially in the NFL.

Again, prepare to be stunned at how replaceable Harris is in this D.

To sign guys like Harris,Holmes and Edwards guys like Ellis,T-Rich and Clemens will be surely gone. Tanne will get Harris signed no way the NYJETS allow him to leave James Farrior part 2... :angry:

I love Harris. No way in hell we can let him go. We can't just let him walk. At least franchise him.

Nope...they don't need each other for one...they don't even truly compliment each other all that well since Scott can do what Harris does and Harris is an injury risk if he does what Scott did for us last year.

You seriously underrate Harris. Bart Scott's production is partly dependent on his partner in crime. Nothing against him, but he doesn't get his big deal here if he isn't playing next to Ray Lewis.

You seriously underrate Harris. Bart Scott's production is partly dependent on his partner in crime. Nothing against him, but he doesn't get his big deal here if he isn't playing next to Ray Lewis.

Huh? Scott's numbers aren't the sexy numbers...Harris has the flashy numbers...because Scott does the dirty work.

Try telling the non-bolded to Rex or Scott. The guy is an UDFA who made it as a longtime starter on the league's best D. All of that under Ryan. If anything, the fact that he was mentored by Lewis raised his value more to the organization and Ryan.

The Ravens let Scott go because they couldn't afford two high priced ILBs. No...it's more like they don't want to pay for two high priced ILBs. They cta with Tavares Gooden. The Jets are prepared to cover theirs with Westerman.

If the Jets need to save money to keep Harris they can save it by screwing Revis Heist to the wall. And if for some magical reason they can't put more than a certain amount of money into the LBer position than cut Bryan Thomas and let cheapo Westerman play his position.

ps totally sucks that I can't say let cheapo Basped play it. I guess the reason he went undrafted was the knees.

franchising Harris is actually feasible. Assuming the franchise tag is still a thing by next March (i dont know what the expired CBA affect, if any) an ILB franchise tag number is the most reasonable of all the positions.

The Jets won't need to franchise Harris. He'll be extended sometime after the SB and before the first day when tenders have to be made.

The reason why Harris won't be extended now is that he made under $1 million last year and the 30% rule dictates that the 1st yr salary on a new deal can't be more than 30% higher than the player's salary in the last capped year. Thus, if Harris agreed to an extension under the rules it would probably be the worst extension possible for him.

To make such a contract worthwile for him, the contract would have to be something like 80% guaranteed with signing/option/roster/etc. bonuses. The reason being that his base salary combined for a 5 yr deal, for instance, would only be about $7 to $8 million. So it's a 5 yr $40 million extension, the guaranteed money upfront would have to be $32 million. With Harris' injury history there is no way the Jets would do such a contract.

Harris' agents have explicitely stated that an extension at this time would be against Harris' interests because of the CBA rules in place.

Why? Seriously...why would they want to do that?

Why not? Tag and reevaluate in a year seems like the best plan on Harris. I agree with you that he's overrated but our front seven is just too old to let him go for a comp pick, at least right now.

Kinda sucks to lose homegrown talent (assuming Harris leaves), but that's the price you pay for having a bunch of high picks on your squad. It'll be interesting to see what Tanny does at WR at the end of the year with Braylon and Santonio up for new deals. Could be some bloodshed next offseason.

This may look like the Florida Marlins Fire sale from a few years ago. Or better yet the starters we had to relase after Parcells blew apart the cap to make the run in 1998.

The Jets won't need to franchise Harris. He'll be extended sometime after the SB and before the first day when tenders have to be made.

The reason why Harris won't be extended now is that he made under $1 million last year and the 30% rule dictates that the 1st yr salary on a new deal can't be more than 30% higher than the player's salary in the last capped year. Thus, if Harris agreed to an extension under the rules it would probably be the worst extension possible for him.

To make such a contract worthwile for him, the contract would have to be something like 80% guaranteed with signing/option/roster/etc. bonuses. The reason being that his base salary combined for a 5 yr deal, for instance, would only be about $7 to $8 million. So it's a 5 yr $40 million extension, the guaranteed money upfront would have to be $32 million. With Harris' injury history there is no way the Jets would do such a contract.

Harris' agents have explicitely stated that an extension at this time would be against Harris' interests because of the CBA rules in place.

Are you sure that's how it works? I thought it was just that the second year of the extension can't be more than 30% lower than the first year, to prevent people from front loading contracts this year (which probably wouldn't work anyway as the players would just hold out afterwards).

I don't know if we'll have football next year anyway. I actually suspect we will not, at least not right away.

Nowadays in the current political climate though, I guess Congress and politicians would get involved and try to push something through. They considered NFL football so important that they required the Giants-Pats game to be nationally aired I remember.

yeah, he wears other sports team caps during interviews and picks on his rookie teammates. Other than that he's my least favorite jet...well, close,Brunell takes that cake hahaha!

Disagree. He does a lot out there. Gives himself up to the play so someone else can get a clean shot. Not afraid to take on some really big dude OLs either. Is a fair blitzer, gets his share of pressures. And knows the D inside and out.

wtf is wrong with you people ? Not only is David Harris our best LB he is also our youngest (starter). In a high energy blitzing type defense you need young high energy players not old men. Harris when turned loose also happens to be our best pass rusher.

Bryan Thomas going to be 32

Bart Scott going to be 30

Calvin Pace going be 30

I would gladly give up 2 of the above salaries and extend Harris next year then draft some young LB's in the early rounds. Remember next year adds on to those above ages. David Harris is 26 and I would love nothing more than to see Cummings and Westerman get more reps this year. Plus Bart Scott absolutely sucks in pass coverage.

The Cowboys seem to always sign a sh*t load of high priced players I see no reason why we cant. Harris will be signed next year. BTW there will be an agreement between the players and owners too much money at stake.

franchising Harris is actually feasible. Assuming the franchise tag is still a thing by next March (i dont know what the expired CBA affect, if any) an ILB franchise tag number is the most reasonable of all the positions.

There is no such thing as an ILB franchise tag number. All LBers get the same tag. And $9.7M for one season is not exactly a bargain.

Why not? Tag and reevaluate in a year seems like the best plan on Harris. I agree with you that he's overrated but our front seven is just too old to let him go for a comp pick, at least right now.

True...he'd be taking the biggest risk in that deal though.

wtf is wrong with you people ? Not only is David Harris our best LB he is also our youngest (starter). In a high energy blitzing type defense you need young high energy players not old men. Harris when turned loose also happens to be our best pass rusher.

None of this is true except with him being our youngest LB. You underrate the crap out of our "old men." I doubt they see themselves that way too.

Are you sure that's how it works? I thought it was just that the second year of the extension can't be more than 30% lower than the first year, to prevent people from front loading contracts this year (which probably wouldn't work anyway as the players would just hold out afterwards).

No, the 1st year can't be more than 30% higher than the last capped year's salary (2009). That's how Revis can do an extension with pretty good numbers on a new deal. His 2009 salary was $7 million or there abouts. He can get a 30% uptick on 2010 money.

No, the 1st year can't be more than 30% higher than the last capped year's salary (2009). That's how Revis can do an extension with pretty good numbers on a new deal. His 2009 salary was $7 million or there abouts. He can get a 30% uptick on 2010 money.

Hrm in that case, why is there a holdup on that deal? If he can only get 30% more, that's not even $9M a year. He's looking for $16M, how could the Jets possible get him that? Why is he insisting on it, and why hasn't anybody mentioned this anywhere?

Why would the Jets franchise an RFA? They can tender him at $2.2M and get a 1st rd pick of someone signs him.

First, I wasn't suggesting or recommending one thing or the other. I was commenting on Bit's declaration that the ILB franchise tag number is the most reasonable. Not only is an ILB's franchise tag not the most reasonable, there is no such thing as an ILB tag. There is only a generic LB tag. So if we tagged Harris, he would be getting the average among top-5 paid LBers like DeMarcus Ware who gets like $11-12M per year.

Second, you are absolutely right and you are also not right. You would be correct as things exist today, where the # of accrued seasons to be a UFA jumped from 4 to 6. The problem is that next season the CBA runs out and that doesn't seem likely to be carried over. Most likely it will return to the 4 years it has been for most of the past 20 years, meaning Harris would be a UFA next season not a RFA.

Also a first rounder isn't a first rounder. We could be looking at a very late 1st if he's only tagged that amount. If he's franchise tagged, we could (and would) likely settle for less than two #1's if a team had a better 1st round pick. It's a matter of being able to choose your compensation (since no one is actually going to fork over two #1's for Harris) or taking whatever the compensation ends up being based on what team signs him even if it's #30 or later. Of course the Jets could also match any deal in either case, and even the #30 pick is still worth it. If we aren't signing Harris long-term, you take the pick and run. The Jets wouldn't trade away an extra pick at #30 to rent David Harris for one more season, so they likewise wouldn't turn down the opportunity to get an extra pick at #30 so they could keep him for 1 more year.

Archived