Jets | David Harris not expected to get extension

Jetfan13

Whatever. The reason is because they already have one $8M ILB. A team doesn't employ two. It's certainly possible they sign him after the season, but I'll be surprised. More likely they just draft another ILB who, while probably not as good as Harris, will be good enough when one considers the additional $7M per season the Jets can now spend elsewhere. Plus I'm sure Schlegel's still available so there's always that option.

Kinda sucks to lose homegrown talent (assuming Harris leaves), but that's the price you pay for having a bunch of high picks on your squad. It'll be interesting to see what Tanny does at WR at the end of the year with Braylon and Santonio up for new deals. Could be some bloodshed next offseason.

Kinda sucks to lose homegrown talent (assuming Harris leaves), but that's the price you pay for having a bunch of high picks on your squad. It'll be interesting to see what Tanny does at WR at the end of the year with Braylon and Santonio up for new deals. Could be some bloodshed next offseason.

i hope sanchez is ready because this is our best shot for the next couple years, at least.

he's not good enough to franchise, is that pretty much correct ?

I wonder who will get tagged

if mangold does sign today, I'd have to think cro/edwards or holmes will get tagged

Probably.

There is a chance the franchise tag will be gone in the new CBA too, right?

Whatever. The reason is because they already have one $8M ILB. A team doesn't employ two. It's certainly possible they sign him after the season, but I'll be surprised. More likely they just draft another ILB who, while probably not as good as Harris, will be good enough when one considers the additional $7M per season the Jets can now spend elsewhere. Plus I'm sure Schlegel's still available so there's always that option.

Whose better for the team though?

I think Scott is a vocal leader and that maybe more important right now, but I like Harris's play on the field more.

he's not good enough to franchise, is that pretty much correct ?

I wonder who will get tagged

if mangold does sign today, I'd have to think cro/edwards or holmes will get tagged

I doubt they'd tag Cromartie, assuming Revis signs. You'd be paying top dollar to three CB's (with Wilson). I think they're going to let Braylon and Santonio fight it out to see who gets re-signed at the end of the year, making that an interesting story to watch if/when either of them aren't getting the ball thrown their way enough which is almost inevitable with the O's focus on the running game.

Whose better for the team though?

I think Scott is a vocal leader and that maybe more important right now, but I like Harris's play on the field more.

Except Scott is already under contract for big bucks. Harris is not.

Hey, I like both of them and I like the Jets having and playing both of them. I also like to think of myself as a realist and I think the odds are long against signing a second $8M per season ILB. Harris will get paid big; I just think another team will outbid us.

Except Scott is already under contract for big bucks. Harris is not.

Hey, I like both of them and I like the Jets having and playing both of them. I also like to think of myself as a realist and I think the odds are long against signing a second $8M per season ILB. Harris will get paid big; I just think another team will outbid us.

I hear ya.

Thing is, if you look at where we're weakest (apart from kicker/punter), moving forward, it's the front 7.

-Ellis is solid, and a personal favorite, but he doesn't have many good years left. He's 33 now.

-Jenkins may be playing his last year

-Scott will be an anchor for several more years, but is no spring chicken either

-DeVito is solid, I like DeVito and he has plenty more years in him but he's not the player Ellis, Jenkins or Scott are.

-Thomas is mediocre, can be good depth but probably shouldn't be a starter.

-Pace, like Scott, is approaching 30. He'll be a good pass rusher for a few more years. Along with Scott, probably our only quality front 7 guy that will be here for a few more years.

So if you lose Harris then the only guy on this squad 27 or under is DeVito, who is just solid but not spectacular. We are going to need to replace basically our entire front 7 within the next 3 years.

Thing is, if you look at where we're weakest (apart from kicker/punter), moving forward, it's the front 7.

-Ellis is solid, and a personal favorite, but he doesn't have many good years left. He's 33 now.

-Scott will be an anchor for several more years, but is no spring chicken either

-DeVito is solid, I like DeVito and he has plenty more years in him but he's not the player Ellis, Jenkins or Scott are.

-Pace, like Scott, is approaching 30. He'll be a good pass rusher for a few more years. Along with Scott, probably our only quality front 7 guy that will be here for a few more years.

So if you lose Harris then the only guy on this squad 27 or under is DeVito, who is just solid but not spectacular. We are going to need to replace basically our entire front 7 within the next 3 years.

Why is 27 (or even 30) a magic number? These aren't RB's.

Also I don't think it's any kind of slam dunk or even likely Jenkins will retire after this year. The last 2 years of his contract are bigger money-wise ($11-12M from 2011-2012). I think if he was going to retire early it would have been before this season.

Agree on Ellis. Thomas is an ok starter. He just isn't a pass-rusher. But he can stop the run and can cover. His contract is up after 2011 and he'll be 33 before the next season begins.

Over the next 3 seasons (if you include this season) we'll probably be looking for people to replace Ellis, Thomas, and Harris (who may be priced too high). That's 3 out of 7, or 1 player per year on average. If you don't want to count this year, then you're truly talking about the team we'll field 4 seasons from now since we haven't played any games yet in 2010.

Find a team with a really good front seven that won't be replacing 3-4 of them over the next 4 years. If you can even find a team that qualifies, it will certainly be a short list.

We have 4 drafts over the next 4 years. Sometimes we'll find 2 good ones in a single draft. I think we'll be more than ok. The only one that will be truly hard to replace is Jenkins and a historically mediocre (or worse than mediocre) player like Pouha showed that someone far less physically gifted can step it up enough for us to have a top defense.

Why is 27 (or even 30) a magic number? These aren't RB's.

Also I don't think it's any kind of slam dunk or even likely Jenkins will retire after this year. The last 2 years of his contract are bigger money-wise ($11-12M from 2011-2012). I think if he was going to retire early it would have been before this season.

Agree on Ellis. Thomas is an ok starter. He just isn't a pass-rusher. But he can stop the run and can cover. His contract is up after 2011 and he'll be 33 before the next season begins.

Over the next 3 seasons (if you include this season) we'll probably be looking for people to replace Ellis, Thomas, and Harris (who may be priced too high). That's 3 out of 7, or 1 player per year on average. If you don't want to count this year, then you're truly talking about the team we'll field 4 seasons from now since we haven't played any games yet in 2010.

Find a team with a really good front seven that won't be replacing 3-4 of them over the next 4 years. If you can even find a team that qualifies, it will certainly be a short list.

We have 4 drafts over the next 4 years. Sometimes we'll find 2 good ones in a single draft. I think we'll be more than ok. The only one that will be truly hard to replace is Jenkins and a historically mediocre (or worse than mediocre) player like Pouha showed that someone far less physically gifted can step it up enough for us to have a top defense.

I agree.

I believe Westerman and Cummings may very well be filling two of the holes

Sadly it seems that Harris is going to be gone after this year, its just the nature of the business, we cant have this many players with big contracts. I assume Jamaal Westerman is going to take over, and I really love what we have been seeing out of this guy, an UDFA no less just like Bart Scott.

I also think Cromartie will be limited in his ability to perform (perhaps being switched to nickel and let wilson be the #2 cb) in order to avoid handing SD a second round pick.

My guess is that next year, on the defensive side of the ball we will lose Jason Taylor, Cromartie, Jenkins, Ellis, and Harris (and perhaps gholston if he fails to perform this year as well). Westerman will replace Harris, or Bart Scott will move over and Westerman will take Scott's old spot. Wilson will be the full time #2 corner back, and we will have to draft/trade for/ sign a NT, DE, OLB, and CB.

If the $50M QB develops real chemistry with either or both these guys, they would have to be the priority over a third $8M+ LB.

I think Jenkins is going to stick another couple years. Now that he's dropped the weight, he seems pretty psyched. Football seasons are long, though, you never know.

Jets will have some decisions to make at ILB come next year. In 2011, the Jets can cut Bart Scott for a cap savings. If Harris is clearly the better player, as much as they may like Scott I think they'd have to make the smart business decision and try to keep Harris long term and be willing to let Scott go. Pace's contract doesn't get to the point of cap savings until 2012.

No doubt the Jets need to hold onto their draft picks and take some DL in the next couple years.

I think HArris is the type of guy that would take a back loaded contract with a decent up front bonus... so let his contract get huge when Scotts is winding down.

Who knows though... but certainly you do not want to replace Harris (6-8million/year) with an unknown at 3-5/year.

Harris is only entering his 4th season, correct? At the end of this year he is only a RFA and the Jets can tender him at the 1st rd pick level for $2.2M. If a team wants Harris at least the Jets recoup a 1st rd pick.

Harris was probably one of the top 5 ILB in the NFL last year, I would hate to see him leave.

Here's my shocked face:

20sal9i.jpg

The third best linebacker on the team...the only one with any kind of injury history...a guy who plays the easiest position on the D to pile up pretty stats from...won't be getting extended.

It's nothing against Harris...it happens all the time...no one goes out of their way to pay a secondary LB big money....throw in a past knee surgery and general nagging injuries and it just doesn't work here. Someone like the Bills can/will pay him...

Guaranteed we replace him with a good player too...whether it be Westerman or a draft pick...the position itself isn't that valuable and like the first reply said, saving 7 million is huge. Plus, Harris is generally the most overrated player on the D...by a good amount too.

Next year I expect two new starting LBers...Westerman inside and hopefully an experienced athlete like Manny Lawson replaces Thomas.

Yeah and whats sad is that Harris is alot better than Scott he just doesnt run his yap. I say keep Harris lose Scott...he makes Brian Cox seem classy.

Scott does a hell of a lot more than run his yap.

yeah, he wears other sports team caps during interviews and picks on his rookie teammates. Other than that he's my least favorite jet...well, close,Brunell takes that cake hahaha!

I seriously doubt this is the end of the road when it comes to Harris. I think the Jets are content with getting Ferguson and Mangold locked up, along with (hopefully) Revis. Signing all four in one offseason was always going to be difficult. We'll see how the season plays out.

Of course, the Jets are covered either way. If he has a Pro Bowl season, we can let him go because of the high price tag/CBA. If he under-performs, we can let him go for that reason.

Archived