Mark Brunell = RICK MIRER

JOJOTOWNSELL

The Back up should clearly be Clemens. The guy isn’t that bad. I honestly believe he could be a decent back up.

After the 07 season I’m willing to bet 70% of the board wanted to turn the team over to him without competition with Pennington.

Nothing has happened since then to change that. I just don’t under stand why Rex is turning the #2 spot over to Brunell.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Back up should clearly be Clemens. The guy isn’t that bad. I honestly believe he could be a decent back up.

After the 07 season I’m willing to bet 70% of the board wanted to turn the team over to him without competition with Pennington.

Nothing has happened since then to change that. I just don’t under stand why Rex is turning the #2 spot over to Brunell.

Because Clemens is a disaster and Rex is probably trusting the Old vet just a little more at this point. What you should all be worrying about more than anything is the Jack a$$ running the offense Brian sh*ttenheimer.

Guest Jpf4671

Ainge was developing into a potential serviceable backup but obviously that ship has sailed,so basically instead of trading kellen for a 6th or 7th rounder we keep him for one more year, like a bunch of posters are saying it's a moot point, if Sanchez goes down the super bowl hype does also no matter who the backup is. lots of revisionist history about 99, once Ginny went down it was over, obviously mirer was brutal but our superbowl dreams were done as soon as vinny went down the rest was just talk show fodder

If Mark Brunell or Kellen Clemens need to play for an extended period of time, the Jets aren't going far anyway.

The ironic thing is you are complaining about a 40 yard QB having wrinkly hands, yet, you want an almost 50 year old to unretire.

i'd feel more comfortable with clemens the brunell. it was a mistake bringing him in. the guy does nothing for this team. i think we need to cut oconnell and brunell and bring in someone with clemens.

The Jets aren't winning a SB with a backup QB.

Most teams aren't really planning on a SuperBowl in their QB's second year, especially when his first year was so up-and-down.

It would indeed be nice to have an old starting QB in whom you still have confidence to step in and competently execute the offense for a game or two in case your QB gets hurt or goes off-track. That's the reason backups sometimes make over a million.

We do not have that.

If Mark Brunell or Kellen Clemens need to play for an extended period of time, the Jets aren't going far anyway.

The ironic thing is you are complaining about a 40 yard QB having wrinkly hands, yet, you want an almost 50 year old to unretire.

vinny t would be an upgrade!

• 11 months later...

Achilles isnt what im worried about.....what if we start 0-3 with the Defense giving up a combined 32 points in those games and Sanchez has something like a 65 qb rating with 2 td's and 5 ints?? Would you want to keep sending him out there for him to regain his footing/experience or is the ultimate goal to win the SB this year?? Sanchez isnt the sure thing that everyone seems to be making him out to be. Do we keep trotting him out if he has a horid start and the D is shutting other teams down?? Without a true backup QB, we dont even give ourselves the chance to make a change if he comes out like Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco did last year!

I am rooting hard for the kid but draft position doesnt equal automatic success when it comes to NFL QB's

And lets not forget about that recently operated on knee....its not an achilles but.......

:face:

The biggest hypefest for a Jets team since 1999 and we havnt learned from our mistakes........GOD FORBID Sanchez cant play and we have this stiff to root for. I would rather Vinny T un-retire than have to put my hopes and dreams in friggin Brunells wrinkly hands!

what point are you trying to make with this post ? Brunell is all hype ? what hype exactly ? Brunell is here on the cheap and can run an offense just fine in the event Sanchez gets hurt for a few games. What seems to be the problem ?

for the record, it is one year later and i feel exactly the same way......hope the jets are able to pry a better backup QB from someone!

So that means in a year you haven't wisened up to the fact that a team doesn't get to the SB with a backup unless they are HOF caliber or the team has the best defense ever.

What exactly would that do? Look, if we lose Sanchez our season is over. No backup in the league changes that fact. Period.

i disagree.a decent backup can keep the motor rolling as the jets can ground and pound and play defense.mcelroy(i like the kid,but he is no wheres near ready)and brunnell is not gonna get it done.he is one good sack away from retirement

The biggest hypefest for a Jets team since 1999 and we havnt learned from our mistakes........GOD FORBID Sanchez cant play and we have this stiff to root for. I would rather Vinny T un-retire than have to put my hopes and dreams in friggin Brunells wrinkly hands!

WELCOME BACK JOJO...............and I been saying this since they signed Mark Brunell too old and not a good backup QB.

i disagree.a decent backup can keep the motor rolling as the jets can ground and pound and play defense.mcelroy(i like the kid,but he is no wheres near ready)and brunnell is not gonna get it done.he is one good sack away from retirement

I completely agree. We might not have much chance with Sanchez out for the season, but if he goes out for a month and we can go 2-2, or even 3-1 before he returns, we're still in good shape.

I do not see Mark Brunell, at this stage, taking us to 2-2 or 3-1.

As for names, I think it would not take too much to pry Byron Leftwich or Charlie Batch away from Pittsburgh, and I have more confidence in either than I do in Brunell at this stage of his career, (he was good once).

Jets backup QB Mark Brunell (calf) may not be ready for Week 1. Brunell has a serious pull in his calf muscle and at age 40, recovery is slower than usual. Third-string quarterback Greg McElroy was solid again last night, completing 6-of-9 passes for 59 yards and a touchdown

Archived