Dolphins trying to move in on Jim Harbaugh?

T0mShane

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d740c6/article/stanfords-harbaugh-quietly-emerges-as-dolphins-candidate?module=News_CP

Stanford's Harbaugh quietly emerges as Dolphins candidate

League sources expect the Miami Dolphins to make a push to hire Stanford University coach and former NFL quarterback Jim Harbaugh as the Dolphins' next head coach.

The Dolphins have had multiple conversations with Harbaugh about the position, according to a league source.

Harbaugh will begin exploring his coaching options now with Stanford's season complete, and the process is not expected to take long. The University of Michigan, San Francisco 49ers and Denver Broncos are among the teams that want him, but the Dolphins are quietly evaluating him as well, according to sources.

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, along with close friend and adviser Carl Peterson, was at the Orange Bowl Monday night, where Harbaugh coached fifth-ranked Stanford to a convincing 40-12 victory over No. 12 Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl.

The Dolphins have yet to make any statement on Tony Sparano's future. However, an NFL source told NFL.com senior writer Steve Wyche that it will be "hard for Sparano to survive" with the Dolphins. The question now is more about general manager Jeff Ireland's status.

Sparano, who has directed the Dolphins to consecutive 7-9 records after an 11-5 mark in 2008, met with Ross on Monday. Behind the scenes, the Dolphins are trying to determine if they can land a higher profile coach who might be a better fit and play more attractive offensive football.

Harbaugh fits that description and, unlike some other big-name candidates, would not need to bring his own personnel people with him. Harbaugh has some ties to Ireland and likely would be more willing to work with him than he would be some of the less-established entities in the front office in Denver and San Francisco.

Harbaugh also could work with Miami defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, whose unit is coming off a strong performance there.

The Dolphins have not been linked prominently with Harbaugh but there is reason to believe this could come together.

Furthermore, Sparano has been given no timetable as to when a decision on his future with the Dolphins will be made following his talks with ownership and management, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

"That's open-ended right now," the source said.

Harbaugh spent the past week in South Florida as Stanford prepared for the Orange Bowl and has been approached by the Dolphins, according to the source.

It is also worth noting that Ross, who attended the Orange Bowl, is a huge donor to Michigan and like Harbaugh is a Michigan graduate. He is well aware of Harbaugh's accomplishments in football on the field and as a coach.

This would suck. Sparano is all but guaranteed to drive that franchise into the ground.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Rex would have coached under John Harbaugh, will face him once next year, and also face Jim twice. Presumably with Andrew Luck as his QB. Great. Well, time to surrender. You win, football gods, you win.

If only Rex had an evil twin that could help him out somehow.

So Rex would have coached under John Harbaugh, will face him once next year, and also face Jim twice. Presumably with Andrew Luck as his QB. Great. Well, time to surrender. You win, football gods, you win.

How the hell does Miami get Luck? There isn't a chance in hell of that happening.

No way Miami gets Luck

I'm of the opinion that Harbaugh and Luck are a package deal. You get Harbaugh, you trade up to get Luck, one way or another. I sincerely doubt the Panthers want that # 1 pick and the huge signing bonus they'd have to shell out. They're a very cheap organization.

I'm of the opinion that Harbaugh and Luck are a package deal. You get Harbaugh, you trade up to get Luck, one way or another. I sincerely doubt the Panthers want that # 1 pick and the huge signing bonus they'd have to shell out. They're a very cheap organization.

Sources: Panthers to pick Andrew Luck

By Pat Yasinskas

ESPN.com

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- If Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck decides to enter the 2011 draft, the Carolina Panthers will take him, two high-ranking team officials said Tuesday.

A redshirt sophomore, Luck finished his season in Monday night's Discover Orange Bowl and has until Jan. 15 to declare if he will enter the draft. Although there have been reports indicating Luck may choose to stay in college, the Panthers remain optimistic he will turn pro.

Luck is viewed as the top prospect in the country by most draft analysts and the Panthers don't disagree with that assessment. The team officials said they wouldn't even consider trading down in the draft if Luck is available.

Luck deflected questions on his future after Stanford's victory Monday night.

"I think there are a lot of worse decisions you might have to make in life," Luck said. "I don't mean to be rude, but I'd rather not address that subject anymore."

There has been some speculation that Luck and Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh could be a package deal. But in a news conference Tuesday to discuss the coaching search, Carolina owner Jerry Richardson said the team has not had any contact with Harbaugh. The team officials said they don't expect that to change.

The Panthers already have requested permission to interview San Diego defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and New York Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell. Although the team officials said they won't rule out candidates from the college ranks, they said the hire likely will be an NFL coordinator.

Pat Yasinskas covers the NFC South for ESPN.com.

They've already said they would keep it and the ridiculous amount the Dolphins would have to give up for the #1 pick is just impossible to see happen. There are a ton of QB needy teams in better position to move up then the Dolphins if a trade happens.

If I were the phins FO I would do whatever it takes to get whoever they feel is the best QB in the draft. They haven't had any stability at the most important position on the field in over a decade. They share a dvision with teams coached by Rex and BB. They'll never win anything if they don't fix the QB situation. JMO.

If I were the phins FO I would do whatever it takes to get whoever they feel is the best QB in the draft. They haven't had any stability at the most important position on the field in over a decade. They share a dvision with teams coached by Rex and BB. They'll never win anything if they don't fix the QB situation. JMO.

I think this is how you end up with instability at the most important position on the field. Drafting the "best QB in the draft" gets you guys like Pennington. I think you build your team and when you feel there is a good fit at QB (via draft, trade or FA) you pounce. That's why I think there are such mixed opinions about Sanchez. The jury is still out on him, whether you think he's Capt'n Comeback or you are Johnny DVOP. If the team really believes in him, it was a good move. If they just did it because they needed a QB they'd have been better off with a Garcia/Kitna.

DON'T THEY KNOW THAT BWIAN SCHOTTENHEIMER IS THE 3RD BEST UNDER-40 COACH IN THE LEAGUE?

UNTRUE! HE'S YET TO CARRY HIS OFFENSE TO THE SUPER BOWL!

I spit AND sh*t on 13th in points scored! A better coach like Mike Martz would have called for more! *insert Tarantino cock in mouth* *Pat self on back* *burp up cum bubble of movie references since that makes sense*

G'dammit...situation update that seriously sucks:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the 49ers are not willing to compete financially with the Dolphins' contract offer to Jim Harbaugh.

Schefter cautions that San Francisco is not totally out of the hunt, but the Fins' offer is believed to be in the $7-8 million range. SI's Peter King calls that number "insane," and it would make Harbaugh the richest head coach in the NFL. The Niners are reportedly "ready to move on" if Harbaugh follows the cash. As of late Wednesday, Stephen Ross' Dolphins appeared to have emerged as the favorites to land the soon-to-be-former Stanford coach

http://www.rotoworld.com/

G'dammit...situation update that seriously sucks:

http://www.rotoworld.com/

The Dolphags are going to make a college ranks coach the highest paid HC in the league? They are moronic down there. This is destined to fail and I'll love it because I hate Jim and obviously despise the Dolphags.

Still kind of shocked that Jim would want to join that mickey mouse franchise down there. I could just see him losing his mind when Marc Anthony is on the jumbotron screaming fins up!

Harbaugh would be good for Henne. Both Michigan guys, both enigmatic quarterbacks who vacillate(d) between goodness and sucking the atrocious wang. If Henne is a player, Harbaugh might be able to draw that out of him.

I'd prefer he just isn't the coach. While long term success is no luck, I think he's pretty much a lock to give a jumpstart to whichever NFL team needs him. The Harbaugh brothers are official as coaches, and I'd prefer they stay the f out of the AFC East.

I think this is how you end up with instability at the most important position on the field. Drafting the "best QB in the draft" gets you guys like Pennington. I think you build your team and when you feel there is a good fit at QB (via draft, trade or FA) you pounce. That's why I think there are such mixed opinions about Sanchez. The jury is still out on him, whether you think he's Capt'n Comeback or you are Johnny DVOP. If the team really believes in him, it was a good move. If they just did it because they needed a QB they'd have been better off with a Garcia/Kitna.

Good post Dom. you have to build your team around a stopgap before investing in a franchise QB. We see it time and time again bad teams with bad line bringing in a high paid rookie and in three years the team and the guy suck. Carr and eventually Stafford. Lions can't even keep the poor little fella on the field. Even with a F.A, like MKcNabb here in D.C.. No line, no running game = no freakin chance.

Jury is still way out on Sanchez, but Like Baltimore and Atlanta the Jet's did it right.

Not that it's my team, but shouldn't they axe Sparano before searching for a new coach?

The Dolphins are a class organization all the way.

Also, if they decide on and land Harbaugh they're still going to have to interview a black or hispanic guy first so that the Rooney rule gets fulfilled. That's a joke...it's kinda rude...they're going to have to call in a Fewell or Jackson (this years HC'ing candidates aren't so strong it seems) just to waste that individual's time.

Lets assume Ross does hire Harbaugh.

Do they fire Ireland?(after all he has been getting his advice from Petersen lately.)

Who is the new GM?

Petersen?

Lets assume they draft Luck?

Do they dump Henne?

Keep glass shoulder Pennington as #2?

This sounds like another 3-4yr rebuild being undertaken with a coach that zero NFL coaching resume ala Saban.

New cast, potentially same result.

Dude, how in the hell are the Fins getting Luck, the hands-down No. 1 pick in the draft??? Fins pick 14th. With Arizona, Buffalo and the Panthers in the top 5 there's no way the Fins have a shot.

says who?!?! Sargeant D??

Says who? Reality.

The Giants had the 4th pic in the draft that year. The Fins pick 14. The Fins won't have enough assets to match what the Giants gave up to move 4 spaces.

Says who? Reality.

The Giants had the 4th pic in the draft that year. The Fins pick 14. The Fins won't have enough assets to match what the Giants gave up to move 4 spaces.

Giants gave up a 3rd in the 2004 draft and a 1st and 5th in the 2005 draft... to move up from 4 to 1. Just for perspective. It's bat-sh*t lunacy to think Luck would make the same kind of threat just to stick with a coach.

Archived