Movies We've Seen Thread

I found it to be a bit...rushed, at times. 

SO YOU DO KNOW THE ******* DIFFERENCE.

I'm a prisoner of the moment, but it could be my favorite movie of the year. More intense than anything else I saw as of yet.

I have to agree. I can objectively say that Birdman and Boyhood are better exercises in filmmaking, but excluding all scifi movies I think my two personal favorites of the year were Whiplash and Chef. Whiplash may have the flat out coolest ending I have ever seen, because when you really think about it Fletcher actually wins.

SO YOU DO KNOW THE ******* DIFFERENCE.

I have to agree. I can objectively say that Birdman and Boyhood are better exercises in filmmaking, but excluding all scifi movies I think my two personal favorites of the year were Whiplash and Chef. Whiplash may have the flat out coolest ending I have ever seen, because when you really think about it Fletcher actually wins.

The ending killed it. Fletcher definitely wins and I think Andy ends up dead in a decade.  The ending was perfect, because it gave the general public the ending they wanted and it gave others the ending they know will most likely come. 

The ending killed it. Fletcher definitely wins and I think Andy ends up dead in a decade.  The ending was perfect, because it gave the general public the ending they wanted and it gave others the ending they know will most likely come. 

The look on Reiser's face when he wants to be happy that his kid is kicking ass, but then coming to the realization of what he's going to become...what a moment.

Someone should redo Dune.

The miniseries that they did for SciFi Channel was a valiant effort. If Jonathan Nolan and HBO can nail Foundation I think we'll see at least one or two efforts to dive into the genre by one of the other premium cable channels, and Dune seems like a logical choice. Always thought it was way better suited for TV anyways, like Foundation it's too complex to fit into under 3 hours.

• Upvote 1

I don't know how it was possible, but we sat and watched Foxcatcher tonight and I knew nothing about it going in. I figured I was in store for something like Miracle. 

Needless to say I was floored by where this story ended up going. Ruffalo and Carrell were fantastic. So many great scenes with thoughtful nuance to them. The scene in which Ruffalo is asked to call duPont his mentor for the documentary was remarkable. I also loved the stretch of the film where Tatum's character got into the booze and coke and the way they actually used haircuts as a thematic device. Tatum's frosted tips represented abandonment of discipline, while Tatum cutting Carrell's hair for him represented a level of intimacy and subservience, then when Ruffalo's character re-enters his life Tatum cuts his own hair as a way of communicating nothing is wrong to his brother. A lot of narrative packed into 3 haircuts - I'm glad the director didn't try to spell all of that complication out and allowed it to be implicit in the details.

I can't remember being as shocked as I was at the end either. I feel fortunate to have not known anything about it, it made for a better movie experience for sure.

Caught "Whiplash" last night.  Wow.  What a fantastic movie.  Incredible performances by J.K. Simmons and Miles Teller.  Can't remember a flick when I was more stressed out from start to finish.

I know he got the Oscar for a supporting role.  But how the heck wasn't J.K. up for best actor?

just watched insomnia for the first time.  pretty good, not as good as nolans other flicks tho.  i did enjoy seeing pacino in something decent tho.  was this his last good movie?

Probably yeah. I think The Insider was a year before Insomnia. I thought Merchant of Venice was very good, but I'm not so sure Shakespeare counts. The shylock is one of the most well written characters ever, it's hard to **** that up.

Probably yeah. I think The Insider was a year before Insomnia. I thought Merchant of Venice was very good, but I'm not so sure Shakespeare counts. The shylock is one of the most well written characters ever, it's hard to **** that up.

Ha.  My family has a grudge against that movie.  My cousin was linked to a project based on the Stephen King novel.  They had trouble because they didn't want them to use the same name, and I think there was some funding trouble because King takes such a big fee off the top.  It is going on ten years now and the thing still has not been made.

just watched insomnia for the first time. pretty good, not as good as nolans other flicks tho. i did enjoy seeing pacino in something decent tho. was this his last good movie?

Pacino's problem is he gets too over the top with his hooah bs. Hack directors and writers get a hold of him and before you know it you get a movie like Devils Advocate that sucks and is 2 hours of him yelling about nothing