Movies We've Seen Thread

Anchorman 2, watched for the first time since the theater and I was sober this time. It's so sad, because the first part of the plot that they came up with is brilliant, (faux history of how 24-hour news came about), but it just devolves into a sh*tload of notfunny for the second half with trying to make it a love story and lame attempts to repeat sh*t from the first one.

• Upvote 1

Anchorman 2, watched for the first time since the theater and I was sober this time. It's so sad, because the first part of the plot that they came up with is brilliant, (faux history of how 24-hour news came about), but it just devolves into a sh*tload of notfunny for the second half with trying to make it a love story and lame attempts to repeat sh*t from the first one.

YES, they were going places in the first half. They had a chance to really spoof the news, but chose whatever that was instead. Didn't that movie end with a football game? What was that?

YES, they were going places in the first half. They had a chance to really spoof the news, but chose whatever that was instead. Didn't that movie end with a football game? What was that?

I thought it was a gang fight among other News groups -- I liked the Cameos but other than that.

Will Ferrell movies are all the same -- not much original anymore.

Not a movie but finally binged the last 5 episodes of True Detective. Wow what an awesome show.

I thought it was a gang fight among other News groups -- I liked the Cameos but other than that.

Will Ferrell movies are all the same -- not much original anymore.

Not a movie but finally binged the last 5 episodes of True Detective. Wow what an awesome show.

That show was great, but I thought the lead up was better than the payoff. The acting and the setup was phenomenal, but the ending seemed too Law & Criminal Minds SUV Intent CSI.

Exactly how I felt about it.

Had the chance to watch Edge of Tomorrow this past week. I thought the concept was interesting, and ultimately liked it. I've been slowly converting my wife into more of a sci-fi fan over the years, and one of the things we always talk about are the recycled themes of all sci-fi—you know "aliens that look like humans" and "post-apocalypse" and stuff like that—so it was cool after the film how the first thing she pointed out (as if looking for extra credit) was that the theme was "time travel" but it wasn't "typical" as she put it. 

I concur. LOL

I saw Chef the other night too.

I love the way Favreau took insights from being a frustrated artist, and created a wonderful, much more relatable chef metaphor to tell that story. He obviously knows the temperment of a creative personality and understands what creative frustration looks, feels and sounds like—and what it can do to relationships. I could relate to it. Sophia Vergara left me too. LOL

http://www.cnet.com/news/mel-brooks-hints-at-a-spaceballs-sequel/

"On Adam Carolla's paid subscription podcast "Take a Knee" last week, Brooks said he's hoping to get a sequel off the ground called "Spaceballs: The Search for More Money," after the release of Lucasfilm's "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" in December."

PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

(And yes, I know he's suggested it in the past, but maybe this time...)

http://www.cnet.com/news/mel-brooks-hints-at-a-spaceballs-sequel/

"On Adam Carolla's paid subscription podcast "Take a Knee" last week, Brooks said he's hoping to get a sequel off the ground called "Spaceballs: The Search for More Money," after the release of Lucasfilm's "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" in December."

PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

(And yes, I know he's suggested it in the past, but maybe this time...)

It's an interesting pickle he's in. Because Moranis has said he'll always consider something if a finished product is presented to him (schedule, script), and Brooks doesn't want to put the time in unless he has Moranis' commitment prior.

Green Lantern was a smelly ******* turd. And it's really disappointing because Green Lantern is by far one of the coolest and most original comic book story lines out there. Really don't get why studios are ignoring the Nolan model and still sticking with the Daredevil/Fantastic Four scheme. Especially considering they're supposed to be making this one into a trilogy. Getting to look at Blake Lively for 2 hours wasn't so bad though.

Believe it or not the green lantern was Ryan Reynolds film career jumping the shark

Watched Westworld today. Such a classic, way ahead of its time. It's a real shame that Richard Benjamin doesn't have the same lasting legacy that a lot of the other guys from his generation have; what an incredible actor. Such an understated player that knew how to let a smart script do the talking for itself.

westworld blew my mind as a kid.  logans run is another classic from that era that I love

westworld blew my mind as a kid.  logans run is another classic from that era that I love

Iconic movie. The whole are is for the genre, really. Silent Running, THX 1138, Man Who Fell To Earth...etc. Main reason I loved Oblivion so much, the whole movie is just nods to 70s SciFi. Blade Runner gets so much love in every movie nowadays, and rightfully so, but the truth is the genre had started blossoming way, way before that.

Iconic movie. The whole are is for the genre, really. Silent Running, THX 1138, Man Who Fell To Earth...etc. Main reason I loved Oblivion so much, the whole movie is just nods to 70s SciFi. Blade Runner gets so much love in every movie nowadays, and rightfully so, but the truth is the genre had started blossoming way, way before that.

drive in movies !!  I'll never forget seeing the brain guy from beneath the planet of the apes like a 30 feet high screen, lol

I'm so happy to have been a kid in that era.  I was 10 for star wars, 13 for empire and 16 for jedi.  I had pong when it came out

70's freakin rocked !!!!

the best sci-fi for me has always been a look at human nature with the trappings and backdrop "other worlds" to make it easier to take or digest.  a great example is distrcit 9, of course

logans run tackled the old "lottery" idea about balancing population with resources, rebelling against the system, and of course environmental conservation

run runner !!!

no google, what other sci-fi movie was jenny agutter in ?   

drive in movies !!  I'll never forget seeing the brain guy from beneath the planet of the apes like a 30 feet high screen, lol

I'm so happy to have been a kid in that era.  I was 10 for star wars, 13 for empire and 16 for jedi.  I had pong when it came out

70's freakin rocked !!!!

the best sci-fi for me has always been a look at human nature with the trappings and backdrop "other worlds" to make it easier to take or digest.  a great example is distrcit 9, of course

logans run tackled the old "lottery" idea about balancing population with resources, rebelling against the system, and of course environmental conservation

run runner !!!

no google, what other sci-fi movie was jenny agutter in ?   

I agree. Good SciFi critiques the present by presenting the future.

And oh man I have no clue. I remember seeing her in Captain America 2 but you stumped me if it's anything other than that.

So the movie Selma portrays Lyndon Johnson as a hindrance to the civil rights movement? And this historically inaccurate nonsense is nominated for best picture? Ava Duvernay's interview on 60 minutes made nauseous #hateinanyformisbad

First, it's a film not a documentary, it doesn't have to be historically accurate.

Either way, I had no problem with that part of the film, President Johnson like every president has an agenda, and that agenda wasn't perfectly inline with the civil rights movement on a few things, he had to be nudged and nudged he was. The movement forced his hand, that's how politics works. Doesn't matter how you get their as long as you do. The last scene with George Wallace was classic. I don't think it hurts LBJ's legacy one bit.

Here's something to read on the subject. http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2015/01/14/white-liberals-are-wrong-about-selma-and-lbj/

The test footage looked great, but I still have my doubts about Reynolds.

He kills it in The Voices.

Saw an interview with him this week. Seems to have come grips with a lot of the choices he made and the projects he's taken on. Reminded me a lot of Affleck right around when Argo came out and he was very open and candid about being in some really awful sh*t along the way and learning from it.

Saw an interview with him this week. Seems to have come grips with a lot of the choices he made and the projects he's taken on. Reminded me a lot of Affleck right around when Argo came out and he was very open and candid about being in some really awful sh*t along the way and learning from it.

I recently watched The Captive, it's not a great movie, but he's actually good in it.

Was just telling my wife there's hope for him.

I agree. Good SciFi critiques the present by presenting the future.

And oh man I have no clue. I remember seeing her in Captain America 2 but you stumped me if it's anything other than that.

american werewolf in london !  sorry, its not sci fi, its horror, my bad

Jenny-Agutter-in-Logans-Run_zpsa17e39a8.

Alex_Price_001_zps82aff29d.jpg

the dream inside a dream sequence from was so great in american werewolf in london

Reynolds wasn't bad in Safe House, either.

The dude I worry about is Jeremy Renner. I thought he'd be a game-changer after Hurt Locker, but has gone backwards and seems to be a real douche besides.

KaminaYEhaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Confirmed: Spider-Man heading to Marvel cinematic universe
It's official: Spider-Man will appear in a Marvel film, before continuing his own adventures in 2017...

There's been no shortage of speculation as to the future of Spider-Man on the big screen, but now, that future has been confirmed. The news is good: Spider-Man is to join the Marvel cinematic universe, and Marvel is to be involved in the character's screen future.

Under the terms of a deal struck by Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios, a new Spider-Man will debut in a thus-far unspecified movie within the Marvel cinematic universe. After that, Sony will release the next installment in its own Spider-Man series.

Furthermore, Sony's next Spider-Man movie now has an official release date - July 28th 2017.

Lest you be in any doubt that this is an about turn for the screen adventures of Spider-Man, the official press statement declares that "together, [Marvel and Sony] will collaborate on a new creative direction for the web slinger". That sounds to us like the plans that Sony had been working on for its own Spider-Man movie universe have been set aside.

Our guess is that Drew Goddard's Sinister Six movie, as well as Alex Kurtzman's Venom spin-off, are both unlikely to happen. That's not been confirmed, but it's tricky to see where they'll fit in now.

What has been confirmed is that Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige will join outgoing Sony Pictures boss Amy Pascal in co-producing 2017's new Spider-Man movie.

Feige seems happy about this, too. In the official press statement, he's quoted as saying "I am thrilled to team with my friends at Sony Pictures along with Amy Pascal to produce the next Spider-Man movie. Amy has been deeply involved in the realisation on film of one of the world’s most beloved characters. Marvel's involvement will hopefully deliver the creative continuity and authenticity that fans demand from the MCU. I am equally excited for the opportunity to have Spider-Man appear in the MCU, something which both we at Marvel, and fans alike, have been looking forward to for years".

We'd assume that the search is now on for a new Spider-Man to take over from Andrew Garfield, but again, that's not part of the official announcement. Sony may yet make The Amazing Spider-Man 3 as planned, but we'd be surprised. We suspect Mr Garfield's web slinging days are over.

Let the speculation begin, too: just which Marvel film between now and July 2017 will Spider-Man be returning to the screen in? The betting surely has to be on Captain America: Civil War at this stage...

One further line from the press statement too: "Marvel and Sony Pictures are also exploring opportunities to integrate characters from the MCU into future Spider-Man films". This might just, then, be the deal that digs Sony out of proverbial jail.

There are clearly lots of details yet to come here. We'll keep you posted...

• Upvote 1

First, it's a film not a documentary, it doesn't have to be historically accurate.

Either way, I had no problem with that part of the film, President Johnson like every president has an agenda, and that agenda wasn't perfectly inline with the civil rights movement on a few things, he had to be nudged and nudged he was. The movement forced his hand, that's how politics works. Doesn't matter how you get their as long as you do. The last scene with George Wallace was classic. I don't think it hurts LBJ's legacy one bit.

Here's something to read on the subject. http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2015/01/14/white-liberals-are-wrong-about-selma-and-lbj/

Kennedy and Johnson administrations were both critical to the civil rights movement. Nobody forced their hands the democratic majority in the American South at the time would have been perfectly fine with the status quo. This isn't Quentin Tarantino taking complete license with history and making a popcorn movie like Inglorious Basterds Selma is supposed to be a much more serious film.

Unfortunately with the decaying education system and kids paying more attention to Kim Kardashians fat ass on twitter than history books movies like Selma that are historically inaccurate will just diseducate a whole new generation of kids. #Lyndonwho?

• Upvote 1