Movies We've Seen Thread

So after two years of being a stubborn prick about the Evil Dead remake I finally bent and watched it because I read that it's not a remake but a continuation, and that Raimi and Campbell are going to eventually bridge the two stories and the TV show is going to have something to do with that.

Have to say, I did not hate it as much as I thought I would. It's not funny like the original trilogy, but what it lacks in Ash awesomeness it makes up for in some seriously well done gore.

The tree rape scene gets a proper homage, which was cool to see and disturbing at the same time.

I gave Noah a second chance because it's up on Netflix, it's still a convoluted mess with too much unintentional humor. I'm not sure why Aronovsky saw the need to use so much sh*t that isn't in or remotely hinted at in the old testament. Noah and the Ark is a violent and action-packed story enough on its own. It's a real shame, because the cinematography is top notch and wonderfully shot. I don't always agree with the notion of people getting up in arms over something as silly as a Hollywood movie, but I can definitely see how someone of faith could be pissed off by this one. I think if he had gone minimalist and didn't try to contextualize the story so much and shot it the exact same way, it would have seen a heap of praise.

Watched an 80's "Heavy Metal is Evil" double feature yesterday.

Trick or Treat, starring Skippy from Family Ties and a hilariously bad Gene Simmons. Also, Black Roses starring no one, but a sweet cameo by Big Pussy. He might have the best line in cinema history.

I absolutely love both of these movies.

Watched an 80's "Heavy Metal is Evil" double feature yesterday.

Trick or Treat, starring Skippy from Family Ties and a hilariously bad Gene Simmons. Also, Black Roses starring no one, but a sweet cameo by Big Pussy. He might have the best line in cinema history.

I absolutely love both of these movies.

I was going to ask for a Netflix recommendation for tonight, but I think I will try one of these two. I think Black Roses is on youtube.

Only God Forgives is on my bucket list too. Have to google search the only one...

I watch a lot of Italian movies.  Sometimes in English, sometimes Italian.  There are a bunch on youtube.  Lately I have been watching Poliziotteschi, which are crime/action movies and generally Dirty Harry knock offs.  Squadra Antimafia is a Tomas Milian which skew more towards action comedy.  My personal favorite is Milano Calibro 9 (aka Caliber 9) which is on youtube in English.  You don't lose much with the dubbing since the Italian actors are usually dubbed anyway.  I'm pretty sure that Eli Wallach or Max from Hart to Hart are just speaking English in the first place.  You have to be prepared for brutal, unrealistic violence.  Slaps that miss by 3 feet and sound like the crack of a bullwhip.  It is first of a loose series by Di Leo that include the Italian Connection which has Woody Strode and Henry Silva as the hitmen that inspired Tarantino's Jules and Vincent.

Other good choices are more towards the horror genre.  I'd start with Argento's Tenebre or Suspira if you haven't seen them.  They are on youtube and with the chromecast or Roku, easy to stream to your big TV.  Campy and awesome all. 

• Upvote 1