Movies We've Seen Thread

Actually, I took a film class in college over a winter break which I'd get almost exhaustingly stoned for right before class and Fellini's, 8 1/2 is what really started it all for me with Criterion Collection...

I didn't get stoned, but forgot the TV on and woke up at 4 am to one of the dream sequences from 8 1/2 on Italian TV.  I was completely sucked in and lost at the same time

• Upvote 1

Ant Man at 77 is another surprise. Thought that'd go full Green Lantern

I think at this point, since the end of Phase I, you know what you're getting with any Marvel movie. Nothing amazingly ground breaking, but at the very least it will be entertaining. And as an audience we're all just going through the motions so we're up to date when Civil War drops.

Shame though, I think if they would have kept Edgar Wright people would be a lot more excited for it.

I think at this point, since the end of Phase I, you know what you're getting with any Marvel movie. Nothing amazingly ground breaking, but at the very least it will be entertaining. And as an audience we're all just going through the motions so we're up to date when Civil War drops.

Shame though, I think if they would have kept Edgar Wright people would be a lot more excited for it.

I take all of this back.

Ant-Man was the first Marvel movie that I have ever considered not seeing in the theater. I thought the trailer looked like the same played out origin formula that comic and non-comic fans alike are sick of. When the first reviews came out, I was pleasantly surprised and figured what the hell, because about 2/3 of them argued that Marvel was doing something different with a good ol' heist flick.

Yes. This is a heist flick. But it's a bad one. And sorry but it is more of the same. The cast is good, some of the effects sequences are stellar, and even some of the MCU connections are enjoyable. But as a whole, Ant-Man is a movie that looks like it was forced and had a messy production where nobody could agree on anything, and staff changes were made last minute not in the interest of the film but in promoting Marvel as a brand. And shocker, that's exactly what happened when they were making this.

There are so many parts that are just outright stupid. Not campy, just stupid. And I'm not talking about the premises of Ant-Man's abilities, I mean the scenes themselves. If you are an Edgar Wright fan (raises hand) it won't be too hard for you to pick out the scenes that they left in from his script because those are the good ones. Rudd and Douglas are most certainly not the problem and they do what they can with it, but there was no saving this one.

Marvel had an opportunity to make a good standalone flick here and something unique. I am not quite sure what the problem with Wright was. They could have made some MCU connections easily while letting him do his thing. Instead we get more of the same Phase II drek. I can see why Whedon bolted and why Branagh refuses to come back for Thor III.

Oh well. On to Phase III. Where hopefully Spidey injects some fresh energy, the villains get better, and they give it a rest with forcing cheesy ******* one-liners into every god damn scene imaginable.

Paper here kind of liked it.  Said it wasn't a classic (like Avengers and Winter Soldier?) but was entertaining.  Also liked Trainwreck, but the woman wrote that review writes everything from some feminist angle.  It seemed like some kind of validation for her, so I take it that review much less seriously.

I take all of this back.

Ant-Man was the first Marvel movie that I have ever considered not seeing in the theater. I thought the trailer looked like the same played out origin formula that comic and non-comic fans alike are sick of. When the first reviews came out, I was pleasantly surprised and figured what the hell, because about 2/3 of them argued that Marvel was doing something different with a good ol' heist flick.

Yes. This is a heist flick. But it's a bad one. And sorry but it is more of the same. The cast is good, some of the effects sequences are stellar, and even some of the MCU connections are enjoyable. But as a whole, Ant-Man is a movie that looks like it was forced and had a messy production where nobody could agree on anything, and staff changes were made last minute not in the interest of the film but in promoting Marvel as a brand. And shocker, that's exactly what happened when they were making this.

There are so many parts that are just outright stupid. Not campy, just stupid. And I'm not talking about the premises of Ant-Man's abilities, I mean the scenes themselves. If you are an Edgar Wright fan (raises hand) it won't be too hard for you to pick out the scenes that they left in from his script because those are the good ones. Rudd and Douglas are most certainly not the problem and they do what they can with it, but there was no saving this one.

Marvel had an opportunity to make a good standalone flick here and something unique. I am not quite sure what the problem with Wright was. They could have made some MCU connections easily while letting him do his thing. Instead we get more of the same Phase II drek. I can see why Whedon bolted and why Branagh refuses to come back for Thor III.

Oh well. On to Phase III. Where hopefully Spidey injects some fresh energy, the villains get better, and they give it a rest with forcing cheesy ******* one-liners into every god damn scene imaginable.

Was it as good as Robot Jox?

I take all of this back.

That's kinda depressing. Thanks for saving me the time.

I take all of this back.

Am I getting a feel, only through maybe connecting the dots through here say...bc I'm not a real comic guy...so I don't really know...but, basically, have the roles been reversed regarding Marvel vs. DC enterprises? During the comic (only) phase, hasn't Marvel always been more willing to gamble, per se? i.e. more complex, darker characters. Wasn't DC considered the more straightforward, squeaky clean, with-tons-of-more-patriotic-type symbolism in everything franchise and Marvel was the (maybe) more daring, mature one, willing to bend or go outside the box? ...and now those roles are reversing?   

If this involves such an in depth answer that neither you nor anyone else willing, has the time for, I get it, but was just wondering because as an outsider or on-the-fringe-fanboy looking in, that was always my perception. 

Am I getting a feel, only through maybe connecting the dots through here say...bc I'm not a real comic guy...so I don't really know...but, basically, have the roles been reversed regarding Marvel vs. DC enterprises? During the comic (only) phase, hasn't Marvel always been more willing to gamble, per se? i.e. more complex, darker characters. Wasn't DC considered the more straightforward, squeaky clean, with-tons-of-more-patriotic-type symbolism in everything franchise and Marvel was the (maybe) more daring, mature one, willing to bend or go outside the box? ...and now those roles are reversing?

If this involves such an in depth answer that neither you nor anyone else willing, has the time for, I get it, but was just wondering because as an outsider or on-the-fringe-fanboy looking in, that was always my perception.

I think it's just a matter of timing. If WB had thought to do this first we'd be seeing the same thing from them. But DC was second so they're forced to do things different.

I will say this. At least DC gives their directors some freedom. Watch the trailers for BvS and then Suicide Squad. They look like individual works that have a connectedness, but different themes and premises. And they just look different. Almost every Marvel movie (excepting Guardians and the Cap movies) looks and feels the same. I think DC is trying to avoid that.

Marvel makes popcorn flicks and DC tries to make films. Less room for error with the latter and probably more money in the former. But if DC went that route the entire world would slam them for copying Marvel. But I do think some of that mentality also comes from having Christopher Nolan at the helm for the beginning stages in Man of Steel.

I think it's just a matter of timing. If WB had thought to do this first we'd be seeing the same thing from them. But DC

It just seems as the Marvel movies seem to becoming more and more generic, mainstream hollywood vs. Nolan's Batman, Man of Steel and the upcoming Justice League (& BM vs SM stuff)..DC is coming off like the edgier entity. I always thought the opposite. 

It just seems as the Marvel movies seem to becoming more and more generic, mainstream hollywood vs. Nolan's Batman, Man of Steel and the upcoming Justice League (& BM vs SM stuff)..DC is coming off like the edgier entity. I always thought the opposite.

I think it depends. If I had to define which brand was historically edgier in the comics I would probably say DC. Swamp Thing, Sandman, 80s-90s Batman, and Watchmen kind of redefined the game. DC was the first to tell the Code Authority to go to hell. And even today they are much more willing to put out more adult themed content. Marvel did put out their MAX stuff for a short period of time but they're all about branding now.

That's kinda depressing. Thanks for saving me the time.

I probably would have enjoyed it stoned on my couch in an unintentionally funny way. But I was pretty upset I wasted a theater trip on it, especially when my instincts were telling me don't.

Maybe it will get better with a little age on it. Who knows. But I doubt it.

Oh and also one thing about the Marvel vs DC movies debate is that the Marvel soundtracks sssssuuuuuuuck. Generic as all hell and they sound like sh*t. Ant-Man was no different and probably the worst of them all. At least DC had the good sense to lock up Zimmer and Junkie XL.

The Avengers score is what I listen to when I can't fall asleep.

Snowpiercer was worth the hype. Chris Evans was good in it as the straight man of sorts, but what a loaded cast. The father and daughter from The muhfckin Host, aka the best moster movie ever made ever in the history of the world not named Gojira were in it. Swinton was awesome, John Hurt and Ed Harris killed it, the dude who plays Zayas on Gotham was pretty much that in the film but with less lines...Depressing movie, very funny at times. I hope anyone watching it understands that those kids are food for the polar bear.

Chappie was great, maybe my favorite of the three Blomkamp features. It's not as good as District 9, but really good looking, well paced, and interesting. 

Exodus got the the better of me, which isn't hard to do, and I watched the movie. Beyond the Hollywood bullsh*t, it was really good. Christian Bale can say he played Batman, Moses, Jesus, and Patrick Bateman, half of those in a blockbuster feature film and also half are not white people.

The Lazarus Effect was horrible and a waste of that whole cast. OTOH they're still alive and the checks probably cleared.

Watched all 6 Star Wars movies in a row at some point, the first time I've ever seen half of them. They're pretty good beyond Episode 1. I liked 2 enough, loved 3 and 4, really liked 5, and could instantly tell that the third one was released in the 80s.

Thank Jah Marvel is out of the way for a while. Ant-Man probably stiiiiiinks, and I'm happy for the break until Civil War and Dr. Strange. I really hope they take off the ******* kids gloves for Civil War, Strange, and eventually Black Panther.

Chappie was great, maybe my favorite of the three Blomkamp features. It's not as good as District 9, but really good looking, well paced, and interesting. 

Nice. I'm really looking forward to seeing Chappie, just haven't had a chance.

Oh and also one thing about the Marvel vs DC movies debate is that the Marvel soundtracks sssssuuuuuuuck. Generic as all hell and they sound like sh*t. Ant-Man was no different and probably the worst of them all. At least DC had the good sense to lock up Zimmer and Junkie XL.

Fact.

So.... my wife and I saw Ant-Man on date night. I like that it was a largely unfamiliar character to me, so I found myself not wanting to question whether or not decisions they made in making the movie aligned with books. I like that it basically unfolded as a satire of comic book movies, especially in the final fight scene. It had a good, unforced sense of humor to it. I cringed when I saw the Deadpool trailer because it came across as Van Wilder with a costume—even in the trailer it felt inauthentic and forced. Comparatively speaking, Paul Rudd metered his quips appropriately and played his role well. It was a surprisingly decent movie.

• Upvote 1

Paper here kind of liked it.  Said it wasn't a classic (like Avengers and Winter Soldier?) but was entertaining.  Also liked Trainwreck, but the woman wrote that review writes everything from some feminist angle.  It seemed like some kind of validation for her, so I take it that review much less seriously.

Was expecting Trainwreck to be good with all the solid reviews. It was too long and not funny. 

So.... my wife and I saw Ant-Man on date night. I like that it was a largely unfamiliar character to me, so I found myself not wanting to question whether or not decisions they made in making the movie aligned with books. I like that it basically unfolded as a satire of comic book movies, especially in the final fight scene. It had a good, unforced sense of humor to it. I cringed when I saw the Deadpool trailer because it came across as Van Wilder with a costume—even in the trailer it felt inauthentic and forced. Comparatively speaking, Paul Rudd metered his quips appropriately and played his role well. It was a surprisingly decent movie.

Deadpool looks like such sh-t

Another cool Marvel character gets botched