Kris Jenkins To Retire

MikeJetsWord

Per Adam Shefter on Twitter:

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

Larry Hardesty from ESPN NY 1050 reports former Jets nose tackle Kris Jenkins soon will announce his retirement.

Also from Kris Jenkins Facebook:

Wanted to let you all know that I have loved the support and respect that you all have given me throughout my career. But it is time for the torch to be passed to the younger players. I am going to hang up the cleats! The mind is always willing to play but my body deserves the rest. Thank you for the opportunites to play Carolina and New York.

Gotta say, I am going to miss the big guy-- he was hilarious on Hard Knocks and a beast for us when he was healthy. Glad I got to see him play in Green and White.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per Adam Shefter on Twitter:

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

Larry Hardesty from ESPN NY 1050 reports former Jets nose tackle Kris Jenkins soon will announce his retirement.

Also from Kris Jenkins Facebook:

Wanted to let you all know that I have loved the support and respect that you all have given me throughout my career. But it is time for the torch to be passed to the younger players. I am going to hang up the cleats! The mind is always willing to play but my body deserves the rest. Thank you for the opportunites to play Carolina and New York.

Gotta say, I am going to miss the big guy-- he was hilarious on Hard Knocks and a beast for us when he was healthy. Glad I got to see him play in Green and White.

His little temper tantrum against the jets when he was released definitely left a bad taste in my mouth, but when he was healthy he was amazing to watch.

Stats dont lie.

Season Team Tackles Interceptions Fumbles

G GS Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int

2010 New York Jets 1 1 1 0 1 0.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2009 New York Jets 6 6 13 11 2 0.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2008 New York Jets 16 16 50 37 13 3.5 -- 2 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 1

Stats dont lie.

And that says what exactly? He had one great year and then got hurt the past two years. It sucks, but that's the NFL for you and why he's retiring.

And that says what exactly? He had one great year and then got hurt the past two years. It sucks, but that's the NFL for you and why he's retiring.

Great year? 3.5 sacks? Id take DeVito or Pouha anyday of the week over him.

Enjoy the Hall of Fame induction ceremoney when they induct Jenkins, be sure to let us know how it was.

Enjoy the Hall of Fame induction ceremoney when they induct Jenkins, be sure to let us know how it was.

Of course you would. I mean, if we are assessing the value of a 3-4 NT you always look at stats/sacks...like, duh.

That said, Pouha and DeVito dont have 3.5 sacks combined in their entire career. So yeah, thats a no brainer.

So just to be clear, you're judging a 3-4 NT based entirely on sacks? Seriously? And then you compare him to two players who combined have less career sacks than Jenkins did in that one season? Just think about that for a second.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of both DeVito and Pouha, but the fact is that Jenkins had one hell of a 2008 season and if he could have stayed healthy the Jets would have been much better off with him in addition to those guys.

Of course you would. I mean, if we are assessing the value of a 3-4 NT you always look at stats/sacks...like, duh.

That said, Pouha and DeVito dont have 3.5 sacks combined in their entire career. So yeah, thats a no brainer.

:rl:

NTs arent supposed to be sack leaders in a 3-4 defense.

No way. You can't be serious. Someone tell me he's joking? Anyone? He's intentionally doing this, right?

While we're all looking for that prototypical nose guy, there's a lot of good football players out there that don't fit that prototype, but at the same time can be productive players for you on the field. If you can't get it, you adjust."

To look at their stats, nothing suggests a nose tackle's significance to a defense. They don't register many sacks. They're not among their team's tackle leaders or turnover creators.

Stats dont lie.

NTs arent supposed to be sack leaders in a 3-4 defense.

While we're all looking for that prototypical nose guy, there's a lot of good football players out there that don't fit that prototype, but at the same time can be productive players for you on the field. If you can't get it, you adjust."

To look at their stats, nothing suggests a nose tackle's significance to a defense. They don't register many sacks. They're not among their team's tackle leaders or turnover creators.

Pure unadulterated awesomeness.

I <3 JN.

Im providing you guys with factual stuff, yet you choose to remain in denial. Its ok I understand.

On the defensive line, the speed players play on the outside and the power guys play on the interior. In some defensive schemes, such as the 3-4 the Broncos use, the big guys are asked to give themselves up so other players, most notably linebackers, can make plays.

"The linemen are basically doing the dirty jobs so someone else gets the glory, someone else gets the sack," former Broncos defensive coordinator Joe Collier said.

Read more: Nose tackles do the defense's dirty work - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16007992?source=rss_viewed#ixzz1SfrAtusD

Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Archived